Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Third Test Thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-south-africa-player-ratings-third-test-2016-2846238-Jun2016/

Kinsella ratings.

Highest rated: Olding, Henderson, Stander (8/10)
    Lowest: Trimble, Jackson, Best. (6/10)

Everyone else (and the coaches) was a 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

crisco10 wrote: »
    But what us the law around the high ball? I don't think u could argue le roux was doing anything other than going for the ball. It wasn't his fault that toh outjumped him. So is it purely based on outcome?

Well first off TOH was in the air before le roux.....

also look at le rouxs hands on the way down as well - blatant intent to pull him down as well

Ultra shocking i tell you it could have been a very very serious affair......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Unfortunately that seems to be the way it is going. All depends on how injured the player is it seems.
    Nobody wants to see a guy fall on his neck like that. He is a very lucky guy he didn't do serious damage. Players will have to be protected so we may see a rule tweak there.

Completely agree that we don't wanna see ppl getting hurt like toh today, nightmare first real cap.
    But at the same time rugby is a contact sport so people will get hurt by accidental collisions at rucks, tackles etc, are these all going to be penalising now? Or is it just high balls?

I think it's a serious problem at the moment, as long as it is unclear. Refs will be inconsistent and fans frustrated.

To be clear, I'm not sure what le roux should have gotten today. And nobody seems to be able to definitevly say why it should be red. (As in what law le roux broke)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

daveup wrote: »
    I don't know. certainly cant say that for certain. it always amused me all the people we miss. in truth we don't miss them and never have

I hope everybody notices that "daveup" is ignoring all references to him being a reincarnation of billysays no.

Hi billy.
    Sorry..dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Completely agree that we don't wanna see ppl getting hurt like toh today, nightmare first real cap.
    But at the same time rugby is a contact sport so people will get hurt by accidental collisions at rucks, tackles etc, are these all going to be penalising now? Or is it just high balls?

I think it's a serious problem at the moment, as long as it is unclear. Refs will be inconsistent and fans frustrated.

Maybe they should tweak the law to say if you don't get the ball when competing you cannot take the player's legs. Most often that is how players get hurt. Very difficult to ref though. Some people might be glad if there were less of those aerial duels. They probably don't suit speedy wingers like Healy etc whereas someone like Trimble feeds on them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 daveup

Did we miss Henshaw?

not a bit. didn't we have olding and ohalloran. proper payers.excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Did we miss Henshaw?

not a bit. didn't we have olding and ohalloran. proper payers.excitement
    Crappy trolling or idiotic opinion. Your choice.

Jack mcgrath played 240 mins I'm pretty sure. A testiment to the man, but also shows either the lack of trust in the backup or they just aren't good enough.

Healy seems permanently injured. So who's it gonna be?

We lost our backfield shape when toh went off, wasn't sure if earls or healy was at 15...seemed to change back and forth. Not sure it helped.

Agree with other comments, would have liked to see cronin, dilanne and ruddock in a little earlier. We were flagging somewhat.

Have you watched Denis Buckley ? he was injured but would be on a par with mcgrath i.m.o - he's a workhorse and a turnover machine. I like joe but he has to take more heed of form players and not just leinster players. There are many players who can pick up his system fairly quickly. Having said that in terms of exposure this tour has been hugely beneficial - first win away from home and squad depth) i really think olding could be an option at centre with payne at fullback in the future.

Team could look like this for NZ:-

McGrath Best Furlong Dillane Henderson Heaslip O'Brien O'Mahony
    Sexton Murray Adelokoun (yes he is that good) Olding Henshaw Trimble Payne

Reps Buckley Cronin Bealham Kearney Fitzgerald Van der Flier matt healy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

All joking/trolling aside Ireland missed Henshaw massively. At 13 he could display his full skill set and was excellent. Showed signs of developing a good partnership with Marshall as well. He got a bit of unwarranted criticism for some of his performances at 12 but he showed why he should be our starting 13 going forward. Is a good footballer and has the physicality to really excel at test rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 daveup

Clegg wrote: »
    All joking/trolling aside Ireland missed Henshaw massively. At 13 he could display his full skill set and was excellent. Showed signs of developing a good partnership with Marshall as well. He got a bit of unwarranted criticism for some of his performances at 12 but he shoed why he should be our starting 13 going forward. Is a good football and has the physicality to really excel at test rugby.

totally untrue. when toh was ladled off no guidance,. well done earls who took over and was rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

totally untrue. when toh was ladled off no guidance,.

can you translate this to english please?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

daveup banned pending review.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

[edit] ****, this post ended up a lot longer than intended.

Alright. I've rarely been as angry at the end/during a test game as I was during/after that. Took a few hours and calmed it down a bit.

So we lost, and South Africa recovered from the halfway point of the series to come back to win - great composure from them at times, and despite this being a poor SA side, they deserve credit for that. Congratulations to them, serious mental strength to come back in that second test and to keep their nerve today toward the end. Well deserved in that respect.

Today's game:
    Massively disappointing from an Irish perspective. SA were there for the taking, and we didn't do ourselves justice. We simply made too many unforced errors. There were three or four try scoring chances that we let slip, through one thing or another - be it speed of hands, a poor pass or two (Marshall, Jackson), poor decision making. It's tough to take given SA didn't really have to do much to win. We were just shovelling the ball left and right at times in the second half, going nowhere. SA's defense deserve some credit, but not a massive amount. We made it easy for them.

I did like the impact our subs had. Cronin, Dillane, Reddan, all gave us a massive boost and had us going forward during the last ten minutes.

As someone pointed out above, my only criticism of Schmidt is that it took so long for those subs to be sprung. Five or ten minutes earlier and I believe we'd have won it.

Massive shout here to Faf de Klerk, two tries saved today, between that intercept leap and the last ditch tackle. Regardless of the legality of the resulting ruck, or decision from the ref, the decision and timing of the tackle was spot on.

Which leads us to ... Glenn Jackson. Despite me not liking to give out about refs, I found myself doing it a lot today. The decision to not red card Le Roux was cowardly in the extreme. It was clear he landed on his neck, and the TMO deserves to cop equal criticism. It was a red card every day of the week, and it was especially hard to take after the Stander red in the first test. It would be easier to take if that was the only problem with NZ ref. To say he was inconsistent was putting it mildly. SA were offside more or less the entire game, which put us under serious pressure in terms of their line being in our face. Irish players were penalised immediately for holding on, while just before the SA try before half time, Henderson (I think) was hands on on the ball for a good 5/6 seconds with the tackled player holding on. Nothing. SA go and score a minute later, with an offside call against McGrath thrown in for good measure. There were blatant infringements from SA all over the park, right in front of him, ignored. There was no consistency. The last ruck of the game ... I can't explain it. Beyond bizarre. Adding it all together, I was fuming, bitter and it made it even harder to take. We should have been playing 14 men, but we ended up playing 16.

Ugh. That paragraph ended up longer than I anticipated.

The series itself:

Paddy Jackson may have had a rough last 20 minutes last week and a mixed bag today, but he's proved himself an adequate replacement for Sexton, more than adequate. Hopefully this makes Sexton improve himself, a bit of competition is sorely needed there. Similarly in the centres we've shown that we have more than just Henshaw and Payne, which frees up Payne for the 15 role. Olding and Marshall did well today.

McGrath was rock solid across the three tests, Furlong did well when he came on. Ross has been one of our more important players for a long long while, but surely now he's been overtaken and can step back a bit. Cronin showed himself the impact player we know he is, and Strauss may have a tough time getting regular game time as a result. Good to have that problem.
    Second row did well, our lineout was generally solid. Toner had a good series, and Henderson - man child that he his - is a ****ing beast. We knew that though - good experience for them all the same. Back row, well, we've some great first-choice players, and equally some solid replacements should the first choice come down. Stander and Heaslip had good series. Ruddock was more positive than negative, but has a lot to work on. Dillane coming on was a great boost to the side, serious impact player.

Good to see everyone get a run out, and for new lads to get some experience. Dillane, Bealham, Healy, O'Halloran all got caps. Schmidt deserves plaudits for this. Also, lets be fair. We outplayed SA for most of the series. A bit of clinical finishing and this **** wouldn't have been close.

Some negatives, such as the subs thing mentioned above. I'm not convinced by Best as captain. He doesn't seem to get in the refs ear enough, something Strauss did a lot. He's easily our best hooker, but captain? Not sure. Also not sure who to replace him though. We looked headless at times, and reverted to the back and forth rugby we do sometimes. Not often, but we did all the same. We were seriously gassed last week up on the highlands. That happens (and personally, I think it's ****ing horse**** that SA can play a test at a height that the touring country never does).

Again, disappointing we didn't win the whole thing. Frustrating. Sure, we maded history, but we could have made more.

All that said, far more positives than negatives from the whole thing, so I'm happy enough with the series. Roll on Autumn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Alright. I've rarely been as angry at the end/during a test game as I was during/after that. Took a few hours and calmed it down a bit.

So we lost, and South Africa recovered from the halfway point of the series to come back to win - great composure from them at times, and despite this being a poor SA side, they deserve credit for that. Congratulations to them, serious mental strength to come back in that second test and to keep their nerve today toward the end. Well deserved in that respect.

Today's game:
    Massively disappointing from an Irish perspective. SA were there for the taking, and we didn't do ourselves justice. We simply made too many unforced errors. There were three or four try scoring chances that we let slip, through one thing or another - be it speed of hands, a poor pass or two (Marshall, Jackson), poor decision making. It's tough to take given SA didn't really have to do much to win. We were just shovelling the ball left and right at times in the second half, going nowhere. SA's defense deserve some credit, but not a massive amount. We made it easy for them.

I did like the impact our subs had. Cronin, Dillane, Reddan, all gave us a massive boost and had us going forward during the last ten minutes.

As someone pointed out above, my only criticism of Schmidt is that it took so long for those subs to be sprung. Five or ten minutes earlier and I believe we'd have won it.

Massive shout here to Faf de Klerk, two tries saved today, between that intercept leap and the last ditch tackle. Regardless of the legality of the resulting ruck, or decision from the ref, the decision and timing of the tackle was spot on.

Which leads us to ... Glenn Jackson. Despite me not liking to give out about refs, I found myself doing it a lot today. The decision to not red card Le Roux was cowardly in the extreme. It was clear he landed on his neck, and the TMO deserves to cop equal criticism. It was a red card every day of the week, and it was especially hard to take after the Stander red in the first test. It would be easier to take if that was the only problem with NZ ref. To say he was inconsistent was putting it mildly. SA were offside more or less the entire game, which put us under serious pressure in terms of their line being in our face. Irish players were penalised immediately for holding on, while just before the SA try before half time, Henderson (I think) was hands on on the ball for a good 5/6 seconds with the tackled player holding on. Nothing. SA go and score a minute later, with an offside call against McGrath thrown in for good measure. There were blatant infringements from SA all over the park, right in front of him, ignored. There was no consistency. The last ruck of the game ... I can't explain it. Beyond bizarre. Adding it all together, I was fuming, bitter and it made it even harder to take. We should have been playing 14 men, but we ended up playing 16.

The series itself:

Paddy Jackson may have had a rough last 20 minutes last week and a mixed bag today, but he's proved himself an adequate replacement for Sexton, more than adequate. Hopefully this makes Sexton improve himself, a bit of competition is sorely needed there. Similarly in the centres we've shown that we have more than just Henshaw and Payne, which frees up Payne for the 15 role. Olding and Marshall did well today.

McGrath was rock solid across the three tests, Furlong did well when he came on. Ross has been one of our more important players for a long long while, but surely now he's been overtaken and can step back a bit. Cronin showed himself the impact player we know he is, and Strauss may have a tough time getting regular game time as a result. Good to have that problem.
    Second row did well, our lineout was generally solid. Toner had a good series, and Henderson - man child that he his - is a ****ing beast. We knew that though - good experience for them all the same. Back row, well, we've some great first-choice players, and equally some solid replacements should the first choice come down. Stander and Heaslip had good series. Ruddock was more positive than negative, but has a lot to work on. Dillane coming on was a great boost to the side, serious impact player.

Good to see everyone get a run out, and for new lads to get some experience. Dillane, Bealham, Healy, O'Halloran all got caps. Schmidt deserves plaudits for this. Also, lets be fair. We outplayed SA for most of the series. A bit of clinical finishing and this **** wouldn't have been close.

Some negatives, such as the subs thing mentioned above. I'm not convinced by Best as captain. He doesn't seem to get in the refs ear enough, something Strauss did a lot. He's easily our best hooker, but captain? Not sure. Also not sure who to replace him though. We looked headless at times, and reverted to the back and forth rugby we do sometimes. Not often, but we did all the same. We were seriously gassed last week up on the highlands. That happens (and personally, I think it's ****ing horse**** that SA can play a test at a height that the touring country never does).

Again, disappointing we didn't win the whole thing. Frustrating. Sure, we maded history, but we could have made more.

All that said, far more positives than negatives from the whole thing, so I'm happy enough with the series. Roll on Autumn.

So u think SA should not play at altitude against opposition?what about the cold and snow conditions they must play in during the AI?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bigbok wrote: »
    So u think SA should not play at altitude against opposition?what about the cold and snow conditions they must play in during the AI?

Jaysus. Pick and edit the quote.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Playing at altitude is not the same as playing in different weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Thought Joe was very slow to bring on replacements. I think we could have won that if Cronin, Ruddock and Dillane had been brought on at 55/60. We were being dominated up front at that stage and needed some serious power. I doubt we will see a better chance of winning a series in SA n my lifetime.

I'd agree completely. Schmidt use of the bench remains the glaring issue. Otherwise, the tour went much better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Playing at altitude is a good test and is a unique part of sports. Is it Chile that have a similar setup in the soccer.

Altitude didn't beat us anyway.

As for the Boks I thought they were average.

The Beast is probably the best loose head scrummager in the world.
    Strauss was better today but I still think he is typical of the beef upped Bok player who lacks in other areas.
    Malherde did well. McGrath had a good contest.
    Etzebeth had a good day today as for some reason we didn't contest too many lineouts. Otherwise he looks indisciplined and was beaten by Toner in the first 2 tests.
    Du Toit was solid. Probably the choice going forward.
    The backrow were average except for Louw who snaffled a lot of ball.
    de Klerk played well, saved 2 tries and did the basics well.
    Jantjes was poor enough over the 3 tests. One brilliant cross kick aside his goalkicking was dodgy and his defence for Marshall's try was poor.
    JP took his try well but there has to be better wingers in the country.
    de Allende/Mapoa - we made a lot of breaks in their midfield in the first 2 tests and they didn't show any great skill over the series.
    Combrindt came in today and looks like he has a big boot on him but he was less of a threat attacking wise.
    le Roux has been poor enough over the 3 tests - nothing to fear from his play.

Overall there doesn't appear to be huge talent in their setup and normally they are very reliant on a good goalkicker which they don't have at the moment.

I have only seen them in the 3 tests though.
    Apologies if I have misspelt names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I think Ireland can be very proud of their team. With all the first choice injuries and the poor record in SA, very few had much hope of any result. Instead, won a game with 14 men, lost by 6 points at altitude, and lost again today by 6 points after a tough tour and tough long season.
    All that was in it was one converted try, just one move, just one faf de Klerk gamble going your way and that would've been the series won.

For my team, very poor first 140 minutes, followed by 20 minutes made look great by the Irish team running out of steam, and a just enough 80 minutes today. Every single bok supporter fully expected a 3-0 series win. A lot of questions were asked before the series and some answered. There's loads of potential there, but looking at the team and coaching team, I'd say if you took the full Lions team under Johann Ackerman we might've got a similar or even better result.
    We need the players to start playing for each other, the fans, and the springbok jersey. And that's something Johan Ackerman seems to be able to get from his players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Disappointed with today, but massively pleased with the entire test. In a way, the number of pre-tour injuries we had ended up doing us a favour, because we've given some really green (sorry!) youngsters a massive baptism of fire over the last three weeks. Think of the extra experience, mettle, and confidence the likes of PJ, Marshall, Olding, Roux, Furlong, Henderson, etc. will have attained. The games were tough, close, and tense, and I think that'll pay off really nicely for some of those lads. Can't wait for the Autumn games now!

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Willie le Roux has been cited.

Too little too late really.

• Advertisement

Playing at altitude is a good test and is a unique part of sports. Is it Chile that have a similar setup in the soccer.

Altitude didn't beat us anyway.

As for the Boks I thought they were average.

The Beast is probably the best loose head scrummager in the world.
    Strauss was better today but I still think he is typical of the beef upped Bok player who lacks in other areas.
    Malherde did well. McGrath had a good contest.
    Etzebeth had a good day today as for some reason we didn't contest too many lineouts. Otherwise he looks indisciplined and was beaten by Toner in the first 2 tests.
    Du Toit was solid. Probably the choice going forward.
    The backrow were average except for Louw who snaffled a lot of ball.
    de Klerk played well, saved 2 tries and did the basics well.
    Jantjes was poor enough over the 3 tests. One brilliant cross kick aside his goalkicking was dodgy and his defence for Marshall's try was poor.
    JP took his try well but there has to be better wingers in the country.
    de Allende/Mapoa - we made a lot of breaks in their midfield in the first 2 tests and they didn't show any great skill over the series.
    Combrindt came in today and looks like he has a big boot on him but he was less of a threat attacking wise.
    le Roux has been poor enough over the 3 tests - nothing to fear from his play.

Overall there doesn't appear to be huge talent in their setup and normally they are very reliant on a good goalkicker which they don't have at the moment.

I have only seen them in the 3 tests though.
    Apologies if I have misspelt names.

I have to say I disagree re the Beast. His scrummaging from what I seen was downright illegal and jackson did nothing to stop it. Ross was going straight all the time with the beast driving and twisting inwards but still peno againist us.

That said, ross is finished full stop no ifs or buts about it.

Today's game:

The series itself:

yes i agree with you...i had my say earlier jackson is offically the worlds worst referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I'd agree completely. Schmidt use of the bench remains the glaring issue. Otherwise, the tour went much better than expected.

I agree to a point. Some of the starters have only a few caps and need as much game time to get experience. But thought Reddan, Cronin and ruddock should have came on 10-15 minutes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If we've learned one thing now is that if a player is good enough he should be on the pitch.

No more of this "he doesn't know the systems" or "he should get 10 mins off the bench against Italy".

All of our young lads stepped right up and truth be told none of them looked out of place and this was against SA in SA. So can we not worry about having to "take a risk" with a new face against Wales or France in next years 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Cronin and Dillane were the game changers on the bench for me and I was surprised not to see them earlier.
    Still overall happy with the series. Lots of new caps and new combinations. Players previously thought irreplaceable actually aren't. Rossi Kearney and Sexton. Although sexton is still a step up its not as much as previously thought.
    One worry is Murray seems to be so far ahead in the managements eyes. Would have liked to see Marmion get a little more game time.
    Players deserve a well earned break now. Think the future is looking pretty positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

mfceiling wrote: »
    If we've learned one thing now is that if a player is good enough he should be on the pitch.

No more of this "he doesn't know the systems" or "he should get 10 mins off the bench against Italy".

All of our young lads stepped right up and truth be told none of them looked out of place and this was against SA in SA. So can we not worry about having to "take a risk" with a new face against Wales or France in next years 6N.

I don't think Joe has ever used this idea of "systems" as a reason for not picking someone though?

But on your point: the players have all been in camp for weeks at this stage. All of them, with the exception of Healy I think, had been in Ireland camps before. Luke Marshall was 24th man throughout the 6N. So no one came into a test match completely out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

mfceiling wrote: »

TBH I thought today we looked awfully disjointed and out of kilter in the backs. I understand the ToH situation wasn't ideal. But "not knowing the systems" is a better excuse then any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Cronin and Dillane were the game changers on the bench for me and I was surprised not to see them earlier.
    Still overall happy with the series. Lots of new caps and new combinations. Players previously thought irreplaceable actually aren't. Rossi Kearney and Sexton. Although sexton is still a step up its not as much as previously thought.
    One worry is Murray seems to be so far ahead in the managements eyes. Would have liked to see Marmion get a little more game time.
    Players deserve a well earned break now. Think the future is looking pretty positive.

Marmion needs to start the Canada game in November at the very minimum, because our reliance on Murray is a massive red flag right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the backline that finished the test

Reddan
    Jackson
    Earls
    Olding
    Trimble
    Healy
    Madigan

Yowza!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Really frustrating game today.
    Another classic Irish ****up is the best way I can describe it.
    True to form at the end of the game, we reverted to type.
    On that last attack, it was one out ball carrying when the game was on the line.
    We had shown in the first half how much more effective you could be with a bit of unpredictability in the ball carrying.

Schimdt again left it late to bring on subs.
    For a coach who I'm sure is using all sorts of analysis gathering, it boggles the mind how flogging the starting pack into the ground gives you your best chance to win. Maybe he just doesn't trust most of the subs.

It's still a good tour in that we got our first win in South Africa.
    Resting players for the second test has backfired massively though given what happened today.

Advertisement