Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Third Test Thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

One of the most baffling refereeing performances I can remember. Some referees have a particular style but I can't make head nor tail of Jackson's, it seems to be to just disregard some laws at certain points of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pity, the series could have been won. Still there are massive positives to take forward in terms of experience gained and new squad depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Stheno wrote: »
    And the last Irish coach to beat South Africa in a match was?

Well if it comes to that, the last Irish coach actually won a slam..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The replay is just horrendous, Faf locked on so tight in that ruck, Kurt Angle would have been proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

matthew8 wrote: »
    Faf is world class, MOTM. Disappointing to lose the series, thought Ireland were the best side over the 3 tests. Very good heart from the players, so many times I thought we were down and out and they kept coming back.

Interesting to see how SA fare in the rugby championship to put this into context.

It will be interesting. Australia are poor also. NZ will walk it. Good opportunity for Argentina to pick up some wins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

awec wrote: »
    One of the most baffling refereeing performances I can remember.

Barnes 07, Clancy in TMOgate port Elizabeth.

Joubert in super 15 final waratahs Crusaders

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Reffing was infuriating.
    Penalties against us for what SA were getting away with all game, allowing offside all game meant we got no opportunity to build momentum.

Throw in too many errors on our side and yet we still looked like we could win it.
    Annoyed by it because of the reffing, but we've done well this tour. We missed Payne and Henshaw, but great to get Olding and Marshall more gametime.

Lots of positives, but atm, finding it hard not to be angry. With consistent refereeing I think the game would have finished differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sooner we get rid of Joe the better.

Won't win any GS or WC with him in charge.

is that a wind up - possibly the best coach in the game today - what he did on this tour against such odds was incdreible - so many positives - Marshall , Payne at FB, Furlong , Jackson - no NH team has won a series in SA , we've had a super long season , loads of injuries , a hard WC , so massive well done to Joe , and please stay - the future is bright , starting with tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Disappointed but 2-1 series win to South Africa is not a bad result given we were expected to get the wooden spoon down there. Hope the lads enjoy there summer and be back fresh in September and aim to finally beat the All Blacks

Over to u under 20's bring it home

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

awec wrote: »
    One of the most baffling refereeing performances I can remember. Some referees have a particular style but I can't make head nor tail of Jackson's, it seems to be to just disregard some laws at certain points of the game.

This is it. In most matches, the ref will police certain things more strictly, like entry, rolling away quickly, or offside lines, but do so fairly. This was just randomly pulling offences out of the hat, mostly against us.

Edit - and leaving offences in the hat at crucial times :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

dub_skav wrote: »
    Glen Jackson was absolutely dreadful. He's a young ex player though so that's good enough apparently

Forget about the clear sending off.

That aside jackson gave everything to SA - southern hemisphere ref for southern hemisphere teams - always happens.

But the northern hemsiphere refs will ping us down there alright

i am f***in livid

typical ****e - last tackle and faf de klerk whilst he makes a great tackle deliberately lies / sits on the ball f**k me pink when a ref was the 16th man for SA we were never going to get anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

5-4 to Southern Hemisphere vs NH big three

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Referee and his team were absolutely shocking. Tmo especially.

Still its a tour we can take a lot of positives out of. Hopefully js stays on and we can build on this for November

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They didn't beat South Africa though?

So JS has won us two six nations out of three, gotten us as far as we ever have gotten in a WC and now beaten SA which no other Irish coach has done, and people want him gone?

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ya I don't think S Africa are great. As an opposition they suit us as their strengths are countered by ours. If they can't bully you they have little to offer.

I'd fear what a good counter attacking side would do to us.

Overall the tour was positive. We made so many mistakes today it is amazing we only lost by 6 points.

We would have won that with better passing at crucial moments...in fact we could have won handsomely.

but sometimes, it's just easier to blame the ref....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stheno wrote: »
    They didn't beat South Africa though?

So JS has won us two six nations out of three, gotten us as far as we ever have gotten in a WC and now beaten SA which no other Irish coach has done, and people want him gone?

The mind boggles

Ah now, you or I could get Ireland to a WC quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

we've learned a lot from these tests, shame it will all be forgotten by the time november comes around, sexton is back at 10, payne is back in the centre and nz are giving us another pasting

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I thought Paddy Jackson was a breath of fresh air, Sexton's game hasn't been up to scratch this season and if he wasn't injured I would still prefer Paddy as the starter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We would have won that with better passing at crucial moments...in fact we could have won handsomely.

but sometimes, it's just easier to blame the ref....

There's been a fair few posts pointing out the handling errors to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm tired of 'brave' performances not yielding significant series wins in the Southern Hemisphere.

Sick of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

These June tests have really shown how far ahead of the rest New Zealand are, as if there was doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

....We made so many mistakes today it is amazing we only lost by 6 points.

I think that's down to just how poor this SA team is though. We will probably never again get a better opportunity to win a tour down there. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

beating three **** teams is a momentous achievement i'll have you know

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I agree this was probably our worst performance of the tour, alot of mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yet Warren Gatland, the darling of many Schmidt critics, could not.

I'm sure England would have said the same this time last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

While it feels disappointing now, I think we will look back on this tour in the future and see that we have learnt a lot about the players and developed some depth to the squad.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I'm tired of 'brave' performances not yielding significant series wins in the Southern Hemisphere.

Sick of it.

And me.

Thoroughly sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

We were pretty far away from a GS in Rome in his last game.

I can't understand what people want from JS. We win a 6 nations and we don't play sexy enough. He's accused of not bringing any players through: McGrath Henderson Furlong Toner Murphy Ruddock Dillane Jackson Henshaw have all come on under him. He doesn't pick enough Connacht players. TOH and Healy get picked today. Bealham, Roux and Dillane have gotten game time this year. We don't win a series in SA? Well we won our first test over there ever. He's not the man to win us a World Cup? Well let's be realistic, we're probably not going to be winning one anytime soon, and it's not because of the coach.

Advertisement