Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Third Test Thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 daveup

tiernan was a relevation. he did his stuff without effort. he proved why he is so good. very happy for him and sad that when he left the backline fell apart. he is so feckin organized. he has always been the best controller of a backline.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Sh!t

Apparently he's in a lot of pain according to Joe

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

daveup wrote: »
    tiernan was a relevation. he did his stuff without effort. he proved why he is so good. very happy for him and sad that when he left the backline fell apart. he is so feckin organized. he has always been the best controller of a backline.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Glen Jackson had a bit of a shocker today, but ultimately Ireland threw away that series. Luke Marshall made an excellent break and all that was needed was a simple pass away to the wing and we've a great shot at a try. Instead he throws an awful forward pass.

Paddy Jackson throws an intercept metres away from their line, ignoring the easier pass and going for the slam dunk one. Skills let us down at the worst possible moment and that's what's so gutting about this series. We should have won the thing comfortably in the end but we didn't.

There's lots of positives to take from it but right now I'm a bit despondent. We saw a lot of forward play, but it was done at speed so we could get over the gainline. We varied the point of attack so the South African defence didn't have time to set. We saw subtlety in midfield and Marshall excelling at 12 and 13, along with Henshaw moving to 13 and playing well. Payne adds so much to our attack and will be key going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Adbrowne wrote: »
    what?

I think it might be Billy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Delighted? There were positives for sure, but losing a test series we should have won against a poor South Africa team is a negative that outweighs them all. You play to win the game.

I see end of season tours as an opportunity to develop players. I never really expected us to win a series down there, at the end of a long, long season and with so many 1st choice missing. I'm glad they were missing, as we got to see how other players can perform given the chance.
    Winning a test was a bonus and yes we could and maybe should have one another,but it's not the end of the world.
    Lots of positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Clegg wrote: »
    Glen Jackson had a bit of a shocker today, but ultimately Ireland threw away that series. Luke Marshall made a indeed ul break and all that was needed was a simple pass away to the wing and we've a great shot at a try. Paddy Jackson throws an intercept metres away from their line, ignoring the easier pass and going for the slam dunk one. Skills let us down at the worst possible moment and that's what's so gutting about this series. We should have won the thing comfortably in the end but we didn't.

There's lots of positives to take from it but right now I'm a bit despondent.

I think that's harsh, no one could have foreseen Faf De Klerk getting high enough to take that one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Why do you constantly close accounts and Re-reg? It's pointless when we all know it's you.

Our back line missed Payne and henshaw today not a rookie who had never started before

Stop talking nonsense

what?
    explain why all our backline double competed for kicks after he left. Tiernan takes no ****e. It is his ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

swiwi_ wrote: »
    If I was being stingy I could say the same about Ireland - that is not one of the great Boks sides. But I won't.

Instead, I'm just going to give my last work to .ak, who said Ireland would miss Payne. And he was right. And to that I'd add Henshaw. Thought Olding was pretty poor, and the first test pairing of Henshaw/Marshall looked a keeper.

Commiserations, that was definitely a series that slipped away with the finish line in sight. Better luck to the U20s.

Olding brings strong running in fairness, but that may not be enough, in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

As tough a loss as any to take. Simple errors obviously let us down but I was disappointed with us carrying the ball. Too many players see it as a way of setting up the next ruck. No one, bar Stander maybe, carried like physically dominating the opposition was important. They were rather passive in defence too which makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Stheno wrote: »
    Why do you constantly close accounts and Re-reg? It's pointless when we all know it's you.

Our back line missed Payne and henshaw today not a rookie who had never started before

Stop talking nonsense

Brilliant post.

Either he goes dark (v unlikely) or continues to post and just further proves what some of us already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thought Joe was very slow to bring on replacements. I think we could have won that if Cronin, Ruddock and Dillane had been brought on at 55/60. We were being dominated up front at that stage and needed some serious power. I doubt we will see a better chance of winning a series in SA n my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Zzippy wrote: »
    None of the teams involved were robbed as badly, or as brazenly, as France by Joubert in RWC final 2011. That will never be outdone.

100%, was unbelievable and hard to imagine it will ever be repeated.

Have to say that the perspective of the ref today was puzzling, he looked to be looking for reasons to penalise us, particularly at scrum and breakdown, whereas with them, he seemed to be looking to be lenient or give them the benefit of the doubt. Very hard to watch that type of refereeing performance.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My sole criticism of Schmidt this tour is it took him way too long to make subs. Other than that I am happy out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone know why Luke Marshall went off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

awec wrote: »
    My sole criticism of Schmidt this tour is it took him way too long to make subs. Other than that I am happy out.

100% on this.
    Particularly the 2nd and 3rd test, found myself screaming at the tv at 55/60 mins for the bench to be produced.
    Thought Dillane was brought on way too late today. (And I'm Henderson's biggest fan ever!)

I assumed we'd see the bench earlier today. Turns out Furlong came on for Ross at 51 minutes (i think), but 2nd row, back row, the backline changes were too late imo.

But I'm also now assuming that there were valid reasons known only to the coaching staff why other changes didn't happen earlier?

happy to see the final days of earls and trimble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thought Joe was very slow to bring on replacements. I think we could have won that if Cronin, Ruddock and Dillane had been brought on at 55/60. We were being dominated up front at that stage and needed some serious power. I doubt we will see a better chance of winning a series in SA n my lifetime.

That would be my big criticism.

The worrying thing is that it took injuries to R Kearney and Sexton for changes to be made.
    Would Payne or Jackson have been tried if it wasn't for injuries?

He has to give players more opportunities. Too many players are being ignored. How he has ignored Muldowney and Buckley especially is hard to figure.

Olding is a fantastic talent but like Madigan you wonder if the talent is going to be fulfilled. Today Olding was poor except for a small cameo at the end. Going forward Marshall (who had a great tour) and Henshaw look to be the midfield pair with Payne at 15. I would like to see Olding tried at 15 but he may not get the gametime at Ulster.

Henderson was superb in his best position but why was Dillane rested so much? Bealham not given enough gametime. Cronin coming on with less than 10 mins to go.

We still very reliant on set pieces, penalties and trucking the ball up to win games. More creativity is needed and with Payne at full back it is a start. Jackson had a good tour, just needs more consistency. Sexton wasn't missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sexton wasn't missed.

Don't know about that. It's been great to give Paddy game time but I reckon we'd have won the series with Sexton there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Jack mcgrath played 240 mins I'm pretty sure. A testiment to the man, but also shows either the lack of trust in the backup or they just aren't good enough.

Healy seems permanently injured. So who's it gonna be?

We lost our backfield shape when toh went off, wasn't sure if earls or healy was at 15...seemed to change back and forth. Not sure it helped.

Agree with other comments, would have liked to see cronin, dilanne and ruddock in a little earlier. We were flagging somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

That would be my big criticism.

The worrying thing is that it took injuries to R Kearney and Sexton for changes to be made.

Would Payne or Jackson have been tried if it wasn't for injuries?

He has to give players more opportunities. Too many players are being ignored.

Jackson had a good tour, just needs more consistency. Sexton wasn't missed.

There is a certain conservatism in Irish rugby selection and has been IMO for years. I hope Joe doesn't follow suit TBH, we need the new players and I'm not sure Earls and Trimble have much more to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

TOH is gone to hospital

He could easily have broken his neck. Le Roux was nowhere near the ball never mind intent.

Shocking refereeing.

Its a sad day for rugby - it looked like refs wanted SA to win at all costs........i would like to hear what mr rolland has to say about this

toh, hospital, bruised ribs. but a shocking contact

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Would anyone know if and where there is a way to watch a replay of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

mareegoo wrote: »
    He could easily have broken his neck. Le Roux was nowhere near the ball never mind intent.

Shocking refereeing.

Its a sad day for rugby - it looked like refs wanted SA to win at all costs........i would like to hear what mr rolland has to say about this

But what us the law around the high ball? I don't think u could argue le roux was doing anything other than going for the ball. It wasn't his fault that toh outjumped him. So is it purely based on outcome?

Synode wrote: »
    Don't know about that. It's been great to give Paddy game time but I reckon we'd have won the series with Sexton there

I don't know. certainly cant say that for certain. it always amused me all the people we miss. in truth we don't miss them and never have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

crisco10 wrote: »
    But what us the law around the high ball? I don't think u could argue le roux was doing anything other than going for the ball. It wasn't his fault that toh outjumped him. So is it purely based on outcome?

Unfortunately that seems to be the way it is going. All depends on how injured the player is it seems.
    Nobody wants to see a guy fall on his neck like that. He is a very lucky guy he didn't do serious damage. Players will have to be protected so we may see a rule tweak there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't know. certainly cant say that for certain. it always amused me all the people we miss. in truth we don't miss them and never have

Did we miss Henshaw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

daveup wrote:

Funny you should mention how some people aren't missed at all.

Advertisement