Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ms vieria wrote: »
    Waiting on delivery of my Ooni Koda 12 - would the below work for turning the pizza - only real worry is about whether handle is long enough?

https://www.brennancateringsupplies.ie/Vogue-Cake-Pizza-Lifter-30cm.html

In my limited experience, a pizza turner is not really required. I just use the Peel and take the pizza out and turn by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

https://www.arboretum.ie/shop/products/weber-bbqs/weber-bbq-accessories/bbq-utensils/original-pizza-paddle.html

A friend recommended this one to me, cant fault it yet. Handy that the handle folds down.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

ms vieria wrote: »
    Waiting on delivery of my Ooni Koda 12 - would the below work for turning the pizza - only real worry is about whether handle is long enough?

https://www.brennancateringsupplies.ie/Vogue-Cake-Pizza-Lifter-30cm.html

I use one almost identical to that and it's ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Lidl Pizza Stone €9.99
    Lidl have a pizza stone offer today https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/barbecues-a...a-stone/p10170 . Any advice from pizza experts would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭con747

pjq wrote: »
    Lidl Pizza Stone €9.99
    Lidl have a pizza stone offer today https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/barbecues-a...a-stone/p10170 . Any advice from pizza experts would be appreciated.

No expert but for €9.99 i'd buy it. Keep your receipt anyway in case it breaks.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Lidl running Italian week at the moment and have jars of nduja for cheap........in the UK but not Ireland! FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lidl Pizza Stone €9.99

Good value! Grab it if you can.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lidl Pizza Stone €9.99

I would prefer a metal one, which will transfer heat better and also could be used for smash burgers on your BBQ. A metal one would also be better in the oven from the few videos on youtube that I have seen. And it will be a lot stronger.

this is a working link BTW https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/barbecues-and-accessories/pizza-stone/p10170

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Lidl Pizza Stone €9.99

I like these. I might pick up a few to use as serving dishes for pizza.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pipmae wrote: »
    I like these. I might pick up a few to use as serving dishes for pizza.:D

if your Lidl is anything like mine, you're too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Lidl running Italian week at the moment and have jars of nduja for cheap........in the UK but not Ireland! FFS!

I saw the jars of nduja in Lidl Wilton, in with the Italiamo dry foods. They had no scamorza unfortunately at 8am,i don't think they got any. Although last time scamorza was in, I couldn't find the affumicata anywhere. I did get my few blocks of pizza mozzarella though.

I saw the jars of nduja in Lidl Wilton, in with the Italiamo dry foods. They had no scamorza unfortunately at 8am,i don't think they got any. Although last time scamorza was in, I couldn't find the affumicata anywhere. I did get my few blocks of pizza mozzarella though.

You sure?! Not in the brochure and definitely weren't in my local Lidl which had stocked up yesterday in advance of the promotion start today. They did have jars of pesto though which looked similar? Was there again this evening and definitely no nduja.

You sure?! Not in the brochure and definitely weren't in my local Lidl which had stocked up yesterday in advance of the promotion start today. They did have jars of pesto though which looked similar? Was there again this evening and definitely no nduja.

I will double check tomorrow but pretty sure as they had the dry stock out yesterday and I remember thinking I didn't see it listed online.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

IF the pizza stone is a tenner, get two.

I've been doing the two stone method for years now, and it's the best. Two stones into the oven at top temperature, then after it's definitely up to temp, put the pizza on the top stone for 5 min, then take it out, turn it 180 and put it on the bottom stone. While it's no wood fired beauty, it's the best you can do with an indoor oven, and will keep you away from the Ooni's for a few weeks at least. (I'm four years on 2 stones for weekly pizza, and it's pretty good)

loyatemu wrote: »
    if your Lidl is anything like mine, you're too late.
    Yep you are right. Not a pizza stone in sight. Or a maple tree (that's what I really went for).

Tree wrote: »

I've been doing the two stone method for years now, and it's the best. Two stones into the oven at top temperature, then after it's definitely up to temp, put the pizza on the top stone for 5 min, then take it out, turn it 180 and put it on the bottom stone. While it's no wood fired beauty, it's the best you can do with an indoor oven, and will keep you away from the Ooni's for a few weeks at least. (I'm four years on 2 stones for weekly pizza, and it's pretty good)

I knew holding onto to those cracked pizza stones in the garage was a good idea. You’ve sorted Saturday’s dinner hopefully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Tree wrote: »

What's the advantage of the second stone? Why not just turn it on the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

First stone will have lost a lot of heat to the pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

curiousb wrote: »
    Best way to simulate a pizza cooked at really high temperature is to 'fry' it!

1. Heat your frying pan on full heat for about 10 minutes until it is screaming hot.
    Don't put any oil on it, keep it dry.
    2. At the same time, put the grill on up full.
    3. after 10 minutes, put the pizza base on the frying pan and start adding the toppings.
    4. After a few minutes, the base will be well cooked.
    5. Pop the frying pan under the grill and again, in a few minutes, the toppings will have cooked.

Obviously make sure the handle of the frying pan in metal, not plastic!

Cooking this way does it at a much higher temperature than you will get in an oven. I have tried it and found it brilliant. Not as good as in the outdoor wood fired oven, but a close second.

I got this method from the book 'Pizza Pilgrims' by James and Thom Elliot.

This works especially well with home made bases.

I use this method to reheat pizza. Honestly I think it tastes better the next day.

Padraig Mor, yup, in stock. I can send some on to you if you can't find it locally? Supervalu often has vacuum nduja as well which is nicer than the jar.

• Advertisement

Padraig Mor, yup, in stock. I can send some on to you if you can't find it locally? Supervalu often has vacuum nduja as well which is nicer than the jar.

Ah jaysis, that's definitely not in my local Lidl and I bloody looked for it! Am near enough to Wilton today so will pop in.

Yeah, that Supervalu one is lovely (albeit the only nduja I've tried) - got a couple in my local recently, but they've had none now for about a month.....

Yep you are right. Not a pizza stone in sight. Or a maple tree (that's what I really went for).

B&Q in Tallagh have loads of maples from 5e to 30e .
    Maybe the others do!

B&Q in Tallagh have loads of maples from 5e to 30e .
    Maybe the others do!
    Thanks I might try the two Lidl stores in Drogheda today.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You can order the Ooni one on the Rathwood site - it's due into stock on 30/04/2021 at €49.99.

Thought that myself (was eyeing up the Pavilion as they said stock due 30/04/21) but I just rang them and their supplier told them they didn't get their delivery, so it'll be July before they have anything. I can only imagine Rathwood will be the same.

Could buy direct from ooni, but €20 shipping is crazy! (unless anyone in Cork wants 1 too - free shipping over €99)

On that note, if anyone can recommend a good metal (perforated) peel i'd much appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

did you say that was wilton? the supervalu stuff is fairly good in fairness but out of the five or six that i pass regularly only one (sometimes) has it

did you say that was wilton? the supervalu stuff is fairly good in fairness but out of the five or six that i pass regularly only one (sometimes) has it

Yup, Wilton they had 3 or 4 boxes of jars out on the shelf. I can only seem to find the nduja in the merchants quay supervalu and, when it is in, they keep moving the location. Recently it has been an open chiller near the front door.

If anyone can find scamorza in the cork lidls, let me know, none in Wilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Yup, Wilton they had 3 or 4 boxes of jars out on the shelf. I can only seem to find the nduja in the merchants quay supervalu and, when it is in, they keep moving the location. Recently it has been an open chiller near the front door.

If anyone can find scamorza in the cork lidls, let me know, none in Wilton.

cheers ill have to swing by to grab some. can never find it in that supervalu, the l&n one in ballincollig tends to have it most of the time if thats any good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Could buy direct from ooni, but €20 shipping is crazy! (unless anyone in Cork wants 1 too - free shipping over €99)

On that note, if anyone can recommend a good metal (perforated) peel i'd much appreciate it.

Might be worth your while having a look at https://littleitalyltd.com/ - they do a couple of different metal peels.

Not a recommendation - as I don't have one of them - but I do buy 00 flour from here regularly and it's good (they do 10kg and 25kg bags). Might be something you could add to the order. The delivery is only €8 or €9 if I remember correctly.

Thought that myself (was eyeing up the Pavilion as they said stock due 30/04/21) but I just rang them and their supplier told them they didn't get their delivery, so it'll be July before they have anything. I can only imagine Rathwood will be the same.

I bought Ooni shoes and the pizza brush direct from them. I DM'd them on Twitter to see if they'd reduce the shipping from €20 to a more reasonable amount. They actually sent me a one off code for free shipping at the time so drop them a message.

• Advertisement

My thinking is that the high heat from the stone on top will cook the topping better than just a plain oven heat. Mind you, hot air rises so it might be for nothing......

Advertisement