Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭MacDanger

enda1 wrote: »
    Not all 00 flours are are suitable for pizza at all. You should verify that the protein level is between 11.5% and 13.5%. Many of them are much more suited to pastry/pasta (like French type 45). For French pizza-suitable flour look for a Type 55/65 with protein at or above 12%. Very few European grown flours will yield a very high protein level like you'd see in North America. So you shouldn't risk getting into the realm of Manitoba style flours at 14%+ protein levels which lead to too chewy a pizza.

The myth that the celebrity chefs propagate that 00 flour is all you need for pizza is really unfortunate and has surely lead to many first time bakers puling their hair out.

For example Caputo's classic pizza flour is a 00 flour at 12.5% protein: https://www.mulinocaputo.it/en/flour/la-linea-professionale/pizzeria
    On the other hand, Barilla's 00 is only 11% and so is a touch on the low side for pizza: https://www.barilla.com/it-it/prodotti/farine-e-cereali/farina-di-grano-tenero-tipo-00

A classic French T45 is here and is at a meagre 10% (perfect for pastry!)

Whilst, this T65 would be quite suitable at 12%

Caveat emptor!

Good to know, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've been following this thread for ages and finally bit the bullet and bought a used Ooni 3. I cant comment on the other brands but I'm so impressed with the ooni. I'm still using pellets as I'm waiting on the gas burned to come back in stock but it's amazing. Comes up to temp quick and is fairly handy to maintain temp after a few goes. The pizza is incredible and feels much better than takeaway. Here's a pic of min.

You can find the gas attatchement on ebay if you dont want to wait for Ooni to re-stock it. Ive an Ooni 3 too and found wood pellets grand during the summer when Im sitting out in the garden anyway but its winter when gas really has the advantage as theres no need to be going in and out of the house 3 or 4 times to top up wood pellets.

I did see on one of the Facebook groups that some people using pellets got a jam funnel like this one to place on top of the hopper and that avoids the need for a top up the pellets every 5 minutes
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canning-Funnel-Stainless-Regular-Kitchen/dp/B07KZGC4Y4/ref=asc_df_B07KZGC4Y4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=430762392406&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17359153891952685422&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-932229603583&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=103002100467&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=430762392406&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17359153891952685422&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-932229603583

• Registered Users Posts: 12 donnelly.bm

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You can find the gas attatchement on ebay if you dont want to wait for Ooni to re-stock it. Ive an Ooni 3 too and found wood pellets grand during the summer when Im sitting out in the garden anyway but its winter when gas really has the advantage as theres no need to be going in and out of the house 3 or 4 times to top up wood pellets.

I did see on one of the Facebook groups that some people using pellets got a jam funnel like this one to place on top of the hopper and that avoids the need for a top up the pellets every 5 minutes
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canning-Funnel-Stainless-Regular-Kitchen/dp/B07KZGC4Y4/ref=asc_df_B07KZGC4Y4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=430762392406&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17359153891952685422&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-932229603583&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=103002100467&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=430762392406&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17359153891952685422&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-932229603583

I've searched everywhere for the 37 mbar gas burner for the ooni 3. They are selling for 140 euro on ebay uk and God knows what the delivery time and customs would be. Have you seen any? There is a pro gas burner for sale on donedeal but I've searched and it appears it won't fit the ooni 3.

Oonis uk website saying back in stock late may

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Has anyone a recommendation for an non-union buster Bezos infrared thermometer for their pizza oven. I'm not loaded and would prefer to buy local but don't need to give Jeff anymore of my hard earned cash!

Have a look on Nisbets.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nomoedoe

I made a couple of pizzas last night didn't have much ingredients so only made a Margarita and a Pepperoni with a drizzle of chilli honey,they were very nice if i do say so myself!

IMG_0901.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thejaguar

We had pizza for dessert yesterday.

A version of the smores pizza on the Ooni app.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've searched everywhere for the 37 mbar gas burner for the ooni 3. They are selling for 140 euro on ebay uk and God knows what the delivery time and customs would be. Have you seen any? There is a pro gas burner for sale on donedeal but I've searched and it appears it won't fit the ooni 3.

Oonis uk website saying back in stock late may

There is one up on ebay at the moment though Im not sure if it is 37mbar or not.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144020035732?hash=item2188435894:g:ZkoAAOSwbYRghbwv

I suppose if they are back in stock by Ooni in late May that isnt too bad as its only 4 weeks away. There is one there on ebay selling for £120+ which is crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

For anyone living in Dublin in particular close to Ranelagh, you can buy 1kg bag of mozzarella for pizza for 7 quid in the Best of Italy on Dunville Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

groovyg wrote: »
    For anyone living in Dublin in particular close to Ranelagh, you can buy 1kg bag of mozzarella for pizza for 7 quid in the Taste of Italy on Dunville Avenue

Best of Italy or taste of Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Disconnected the gas and fired up up my Karu with wood and charcoal on Saturday. After seeing plenty of posts re the hassle supposedly involved, I was happy to find it was little bother at all. A bit quicker to get to temp, and got hotter too - pizzas cooked a bit faster and I even burnt a couple of bases. Only hassle was getting it lit initially - I was out of natural firelighters so lit a third of a chimney of charcoal in a chimney starter but opening was very small to pour into and some of the lit coal ended up on my decking. Next time I'll just light it in situ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Best of Italy or taste of Italy?
    Sorry my mistake - Best of Italy, I'll edit my post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Ryath

Disconnected the gas and fired up up my Karu with wood and charcoal on Saturday. After seeing plenty of posts re the hassle supposedly involved, I was happy to find it was little bother at all. A bit quicker to get to temp, and got hotter too - pizzas cooked a bit faster and I even burnt a couple of bases. Only hassle was getting it lit initially - I was out of natural firelighters so lit a third of a chimney of charcoal in a chimney starter but opening was very small to pour into and some of the lit coal ended up on my decking. Next time I'll just light it in situ.

Yea it's no issue lighting it in the Ooni. I use one of these lighters from lidl there's a very good draw on the Karu and it gets going in no time. Tempted to get the gas attachment some times for convenience but the lighting is no issue. Filling it from the bag of charcoal is the only messy part it's not like the bbq where you can just pour it in from the bag. Must get some hardwood to try out would be cleaner handling.

WuHvS-_eV4hz8-OrSLx0oSJ9KUidyrtqcC9PRFy-EbTyLWuhWVsj2HFPWcf1h-V1pIGBrHktO5WbOmXGSaqZbPg2qRBdO15ZSV7DZGImMRfGDGP6ZMeSZDEBEW_OvNeuz4ijUeo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Next time I'll just light it in situ.

If your ever stuck again for a lighter, get some kitchen paper, roll it up tightly, dip half of it in cooking oil. Bury the oil end in the middle of the fuel tray, cover with charcoal and light the non oiled end of the kitchen paper. works a treat.

Ryath wrote: »
    Yea it's no issue lighting it in the Ooni. I use one of these lighters from lidl there's a very good draw on the Karu and it gets going in no time. Tempted to get the gas attachment some times for convenience but the lighting is no issue. Filling it from the bag of charcoal is the only messy part it's not like the bbq where you can just pour it in from the bag. Must get some hardwood to try out would be cleaner handling.

WuHvS-_eV4hz8-OrSLx0oSJ9KUidyrtqcC9PRFy-EbTyLWuhWVsj2HFPWcf1h-V1pIGBrHktO5WbOmXGSaqZbPg2qRBdO15ZSV7DZGImMRfGDGP6ZMeSZDEBEW_OvNeuz4ijUeo

Yeah, I normally use those style firelighters for the BBQ but I just happened to finish them on Friday and didn't want to use chemical firelighters in the Ooni. I have a box of 200 wool ones arriving tomorrow though so all set for the summer! Getting great mileage out of the outdoor cooking already this year - three BBQs and the pizzas in the last week alone. BBQ has been on the go since early March, Ooni since Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Burnt Oud, a new fragrance from the House of PaMo :)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Burnt Oud, a new fragrance from the House of PaMo :)

I spend much of the brighter months smelling of smoke alright! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Wasn't sure where to post this, so here we are because he's using a Roccbox.

LAHMACUN & BIG HAS : Sunday Sessions EP3

At the least, I found out how to pronounce lahmacun.

Some swearing, as routine rather than an expletive.

Maybe the first 10 seconds should have hit the editor's floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tangy wrote: »
    Wasn't sure where to post this, so here we are because he's using a Roccbox.

LAHMACUN & BIG HAS : Sunday Sessions EP3

At the least, I found out how to pronounce lahmacun.

Some swearing, as routine rather than an expletive.

Maybe the first 10 seconds should have hit the editor's floor.

That looks fantastic. I wonder is the Ooni going to be too quick to cook the mince properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

For those struggling with lighting fires I'd highly recommend a Looftlighter

They're so so handy and work wonders. No need any lighter fluids or any other petrochemicals any more. Obviously very useful for BBQ, fireplace etc too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Round 2 over the weekend was a great success after the initial failed proving of the dough.

I managed to get "00" flour and prooved for 24hrs which was perfect. Also, got the Marzano tomatoes for the sauce. Definitely thought there was a difference.

I used pre-grated mozzarella from Aldi for the kids pizza and they loved it. Managed to get a 10/10 this time which is a definite improvement from the original 5/10!
    551650.jpg

551651.jpg

Looked at tips to get the dough a bit thinner and followed the instructions to push the air from the middle out. Worked a treat. First time I was just in a rush to do it and didn't read up enough.

551652.jpg

I think I might use the pre-grated for a while until I get fully up to speed with using the Ooni, and until I get my hands on a good Mozzarella that I'm happy with.

I had one dough ball left over and made a Calzone. If I make it again I think I'll fully turn it off before putting it in as it got a bit burnt. I'll also make it a tab smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 vision2020

I can't find 00 flour in any shop I tried in Cork city. Does anyone know a shop that has it in stock?

vision2020 wrote: »
    I can't find 00 flour in any shop I tried in Cork city. Does anyone know a shop that has it in stock?

Try SuperValu. It was definitely in the Cobh branch this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They had 3, possibly 4 different brands of “00” flour in SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭budgemook

vision2020 wrote: »

If you're stuck there are plenty of places that deliver, for example https://littleitalyltd.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vision2020

Try SuperValu. It was definitely in the Cobh branch this evening.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    They had 3, possibly 4 different brands of “00” flour in SuperValu.

Thanks, I tried a couple of Supervalu's and they said they were having issues with the supplier. Maybe I'll phone around and check a few of more so.
    budgemook wrote: »
    If you're stuck there are plenty of places that deliver, for example

Cheers, will be my fallback plan so

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

If you can’t get 00 don’t forget strong flour works just fine. Or if you go to Tesco there’s an “extra strong” flour with 13 or 14% protein for longer proves

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

Waiting on delivery of my Ooni Koda 12 - would the below work for turning the pizza - only real worry is about whether handle is long enough?

https://www.brennancateringsupplies.ie/Vogue-Cake-Pizza-Lifter-30cm.html

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

ms vieria wrote: »
    Waiting on delivery of my Ooni Koda 12 - would the below work for turning the pizza - only real worry is about whether handle is long enough?

https://www.brennancateringsupplies.ie/Vogue-Cake-Pizza-Lifter-30cm.html

IMO it’s not long enough - the flames can lick out past the opening depending on the wind and that zone can get very hot very quickly as a result - would easily burn. You could chance it and see but I’d go for a slightly longer handle

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ms vieria

Pete123456 wrote: »
    IMO it’s not long enough - the flames can lick out past the opening depending on the wind and that zone can get very hot very quickly as a result - would easily burn. You could chance it and see but I’d go for a slightly longer handle

Perfect that is what I was worried about - will keep looking - hard to find things from someone other than Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

ms vieria wrote: »
    Perfect that is what I was worried about - will keep looking - hard to find things from someone other than Amazon

You can order the Ooni one on the Rathwood site - it's due into stock on 30/04/2021 at €49.99.

Advertisement