Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

MacDanger wrote: »
    I've raised a ticket with Ooni EU about an issue with my Ooni Pro but when they reply to me (from support@ooni.com), I can't reply to them - it just gets bounced back and tells me to raise a new ticket:

Thank you for reaching out! You have contacted hello@ooni.com or support@ooni.com which are not monitored email addresses therefore your email has not been received.

Please do not reply to this email as we will not receive it. You can always submit a ticket to our team via support.ooni.com and we'll get back to you.

Anyone know what the story is with this?

If you hit the rating at the end of the email you can enter an online form with your response. Include your email at the end of your response and they will get back to you about the same ticket. Not ideal but the only way I could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

thejaguar wrote: »
    Do you just buy one of the ones from a supermarket and it lasts all summer? Does it take much care?

Yeah I got the basil plant from Aldi, I think it was something like 1.39 and it will supply me with enough fresh basil leaves for pizzas over the whole summer. It doesnt take all that much care, it just needs a drop of water about every 4 or 5 days when the soil is dry and then if the odd few leaves wither they need to be pulled off to keep the overall plant healthy.

But once you do that it should keep producing new basil leaves all summer. I keep mine indoors on a north facing windowsill and they have produced well the last couple of summers before it dies off around mid September as there is less light and the days get colder. It would probably do even better if I moved it to a south facing window but I like to have it in the kitchen for convenience. The trick is not to take more than one or two leaves at a time from each individual stalk so you allow the stalk time to regenerate and grow new leaves.

One thing Ive noticed is that the aroma that basil gives off is by far at its strongest when the leaf has been freshly picked off a plant. The packets of loose basil leaves the supermarkets sell arent as intense in aroma as what you get from picking fresh off a plant just a minute before it goes on your pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I got the basil plant from Aldi, I think it was something like 1.39 and it will supply me with enough fresh basil leaves for pizzas over the whole summer.

I have one in my kitchen at the moment - it's been there for about 3 weeks. I was wondering how long it would survive. I may have been over watering it and probably a bit hard on it when I'm taking leaves for pizza.

Thanks for the advice - I'll be very happy if I get the summer out of it!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Basil tip: when watering it, rather than pouring the water into the soil, pour it into the saucer/outer pot/whatever the pot stands in. It seems a lot happier soaking it up from below than wallowing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I have one in my kitchen at the moment - it's been there for about 3 weeks. I was wondering how long it would survive. I may have been over watering it and probably a bit hard on it when I'm taking leaves for pizza.

Thanks for the advice - I'll be very happy if I get the summer out of it!

Make sure you re-pot it, it'll last much longer if you do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Definitely repot it. A Basil plant you buy in a super market isn't one individual plant, it's 10/15 seeds all sown close to give the effect of a nice healthy plant.
    Also when you pinch out leaves below the main growing point you'll end up making the plant bushier. And finally give the plant a feed every now and again. Compost typically only has nutrients for about 6 weeks.

Thanks for all the basil tips folks!

Sorry to everyone else interested in pizza ovens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Hi folks, has anyone picked up a small/mini gas bottle for their ooni? I have the normal size you pick up at a garage but would like a smaller one if traveling and also as a back up if I run out mid cook!

I've tried a few hardwares in Dublin but no luck yet

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'd love to see some closeups. Very nice work.
    If you could share a couple of photos showing how it's put together that would be great.

I threw together a quick overview of the work below, with photos etc. I realised when typing it up that my woodwork terminology was shocking, so feel free to ask if you want any clarification on anything! I wish I took more pics as I was working through it now in hindsight, they would have been useful.

https://www.instructables.com/Pizza-Table/

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I threw together a quick overview of the work below, with photos etc.

That is so helpful - huge credit to you for that Manzoor.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

philidub wrote: »
    Hi folks, has anyone picked up a small/mini gas bottle for their ooni? I have the normal size you pick up at a garage but would like a smaller one if traveling and also as a back up if I run out mid cook!

I got one randomly at a petrol station in Castlebar after a lot of looking around. If you haven't tried a Woodies yet, it might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

I still consider myself a doubter. A tablespoon is just as good....... :)

It's not, I promise!! I don't do gadgets and I'm sold on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭joficeduns1

First run with the Koda 12. Bit of tinkering needed with doughball sizes and orientation of the oven against the wind, but jaysus it's night and day with the quality you get from this vs. a traditional oven bake, as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah Nisbetts sell them in their Ilac Centre store and online,

Can't seem to find the dimensions of the Karu 12 oven, will this one fit? Don't want to buy a peel that i can't easily launch my pizza from

https://www.nisbets.ie/vogue-pizza-peel-small/f037

Can't seem to find the dimensions of the Karu 12 oven

https://eu.ooni.com/products/ooni-karu

They're on this page in the technical features section just below the images

I bought this pizza peel as a backup and as a handy way to prepare the 2nd pizza while the first is cooking. No complaints so far, as good as the ooni one.

I also bought this dough roller, as I was finding it difficult to get a decent shape on my bases. It is an absolute game-changer, I'd class it as essential for anyone starting out.

This IR thermometer has been flawless so far, can't complain.

I'm interested in hearing more about the spoodle. What size would you get for a 12 inch oven and what are the advantages over, say, a regular ladle etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I'm interested in hearing more about the spoodle. What size would you get for a 12 inch oven and what are the advantages over, say, a regular ladle etc?

Springwell, he say
    60ml for 12", 90ml for 16". Thought it was gimmick but Dad bought me one over to the house after watching the Domino's Snackmasters episode and it's actually fab!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116951520&postcount=1841

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

philidub wrote:
    Hi folks, has anyone picked up a small/mini gas bottle for their ooni? I have the normal size you pick up at a garage but would like a smaller one if traveling and also as a back up if I run out mid cook! I've tried a few hardwares in Dublin but no luck yet

Same ;(

I rang around most Woodies, B&Q's, garages etc and can't find the small cylinders of propane anywhere.

Has anyone had better luck? Spoodle, peel and infrared thermometer all arriving on Saturday for my new Ooni Koda 12, just need the gas now!

philidub wrote: »

Cheers
    BigAl81 wrote: »
    Same ;(

I rang around most Woodies, B&Q's, garages etc and can't find the small cylinders of propane anywhere.

Has anyone had better luck? Spoodle, peel and infrared thermometer all arriving on Saturday for my new Ooni Koda 12, just need the gas now!

I'm nearly certain the Spar in Artane does the mini ones, the one beside the Artane roundabout. I'm sure I've seen them there before. If there's no luck there, then the one further up the Malahide Road beside McDonalds/Supermacs also do a range of different types.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Same ;(

Try Nolan’s Hardware. They keep them out the back so you’ll have to ask. Maybe call them beforehand?
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=nolans+hardware&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the 12" koda is in stock now on the site for anyone looking. ive finally caved and ordered one :D

Wooden peels.....a sheet of ply, a jigsaw and some sanding. Three peels for under a tenner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wandererz

Springwell wrote: »
    Wooden peels.....a sheet of ply, a jigsaw and some sanding. Three peels for under a tenner.....

website?
    Further description?
    Shipping cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Comerman

Springwell wrote: »

I've one for the last 4 years :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Try Nolan’s Hardware. They keep them out the back so you’ll have to ask. Maybe call them beforehand?
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=nolans+hardware&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#

Thanks, they do indeed have them :D

"Total price for new 6kg cylinder is 57.50
    Then 22.50 for each time you need a refill"

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Looking at peels and turner peels.

Ooni just arrived so looking for a 12 inch peel.

How critical is a turning peel? Anyone made a DIY version? Thinking fish slice or similar on a handle . Steel obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Same ;(

If you're looking for the normal size maxol in Harolds cross had some this evening.

batman1 wrote: »

How critical is a turning peel?

I have this Ooni bamboo peel

Now, I've never used anything else but it works fine for turning the pizzas - I pop them out and turn them by hand. It takes a second or two and they're back in.

The pizzas look and taste as good as any pizza I've ever eaten.

I don't have it very long - so the only thing I'd say is it might deteriorate over time from being in and out of the oven so regularly. It's already a little black on the underside. Not so much I'd be worried about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Can anyone recommend a scraper for use between pizzas just to dust off excess flour off the stone from Amazon/somewhere similar?

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    website?
    Further description?
    Shipping cost?

I made them myself. Bought a piece of 12mm plywood in the local hardware store and cut to shape then sanded down well and rounded the edges off with a sanding block. They do the job grand

Advertisement