Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Iguarantee

Yup, Wilton they had 3 or 4 boxes of jars out on the shelf. I can only seem to find the nduja in the merchants quay supervalu and, when it is in, they keep moving the location. Recently it has been an open chiller near the front door.

If anyone can find scamorza in the cork lidls, let me know, none in Wilton.

SuperValu in Carrigaline has the vacuum packed nduja. It's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Lidl Cornmarket St has nduja as well, no scamorza though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

got some nduja in lidl ballincollig today, no stones anywhere though it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got some of the nduja in lidl to, no sign of a scamorza. Got some last time it was in and the kids loved it on their pizzas. Did get a block of pizza mozzarella to try though.

Anyone used the West Cork Food Company pizza sauce in Aldi? Usually just use mutti tomatoes but got a jar to try. €1.29

551888.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pipmae wrote: »
    I bought Ooni shoes and the pizza brush direct from them. I DM'd them on Twitter to see if they'd reduce the shipping from €20 to a more reasonable amount. They actually sent me a one off code for free shipping at the time so drop them a message.

Clever OONI. They've blocked DMs on twitter now.

"@OoniHQ can’t be messaged"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Lashings of nduja paste in Lidl Togher this afternoon! Got pizza mozzarella too - presumably it's drier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thought that myself (was eyeing up the Pavilion as they said stock due 30/04/21) but I just rang them and their supplier told them they didn't get their delivery, so it'll be July before they have anything. I can only imagine Rathwood will be the same.

Could buy direct from ooni, but €20 shipping is crazy! (unless anyone in Cork wants 1 too - free shipping over €99)

On that note, if anyone can recommend a good metal (perforated) peel i'd much appreciate it.

I got a non perforated cheapo metal peel, and cheapo wooden launch peel, both from Amazon. Both do the job just fine! Metal peel is no longer available but I'd say there's similar ones there.

I got a non perforated cheapo metal peel, and cheapo wooden launch peel, both from Amazon. Both do the job just fine! Metal peel is no longer available but I'd say there's similar ones there.

Stop copying me padraig!!

Cheers though, I'll have another look

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My thinking is that the high heat from the stone on top will cook the topping better than just a plain oven heat. Mind you, hot air rises so it might be for nothing......

Radiative heat also comes off the bottom of the top stone :)

But yeah, it's way better than one stone (it's no pizza oven). IT's especially good if you're making more than one pizza. The recovery on a single stone is absolutely cat.

Clever OONI. They've blocked DMs on twitter now.

"@OoniHQ can’t be messaged"

Raised a ticket with Ooni on their site and after providing my order number and email address used for our koda they gave me a free shipping discount code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Does anyone know of anywhere in Wexford town, which you can get the Caputo flour please. Ive tried Petis, Katies farm shop and none in Tesco. Any suggestions please as I am just starting out please.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anywhere in Wexford town, which you can get the Caputo flour please. Ive tried Petis, Katies farm shop and none in Tesco. Any suggestions please as I am just starting out please.

Have you tried Centra or Supervalu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Comerman

These are in Kilkenny and deliver
    https://kellswholemeal.ie/?s=Pizza+flour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Have you tried Centra or Supervalu?

Yep ive tried Petits Supervalu in town which would be a good one. Ill admit I Haven't tried Centra's as I didn't think they would have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Yep ive tried Petits Supervalu in town which would be a good one. Ill admit I Haven't tried Centra's as I didn't think they would have it.

Yeah you’d be surprised, some Centra’s have large Italian sections with flours etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Anyone got any tips for preparing the pizzas an hour or so in advance of putting them in the oven? If the toppings are put on will it just become soggy in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

simons104 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for preparing the pizzas an hour or so in advance of putting them in the oven? If the toppings are put on will it just become soggy in the middle?

I wouldn't do that to be honest - it's bound to soak through.

Someone here posted about pizza flour recently saying the protein should be 14% - 15% I was just making dough there and I noticed that it's 11% - my dough has been good but I will try a higher percentage dough for sure - why not, the shop I go to has a load of different options. What's the reasoning behind this by they way?

On a related note, I used whey instead of water for the first time - this will of course be adding protein but I am concerned about the dough burning due to the sugar content of the whey.

And on a separate note altogether - I've been trying not to buy an Ooni, keep telling myself I don't need it, but I just saw a 10% discount on another thread and caved - pretty excited to get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭MacDanger

budgemook wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that to be honest - it's bound to soak through.

Someone here posted about pizza flour recently saying the protein should be 14% - 15% I was just making dough there and I noticed that it's 11% - my dough has been good but I will try a higher percentage dough for sure - why not, the shop I go to has a load of different options. What's the reasoning behind this by they way?

I think (open to correction though) that higher protein % is generally (but not strictly always) indicative of higher gluten content and higher gluten content makes the dough stretchier

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭RonnieL

don't do it. The bases will become soggy, and you'll have a disaster on your hands when you go to launch. For the results you want, you need to prepare each pizza just before it goes in the oven. If you're looking to get through a lot of pizzas quickly then you need to train in some family members! One thing to be aware of if you're going really quickly, is the stone will lose temperature with each pizza, so having a gap between them is no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I'm on the same hunt for the last while, couldn't find it anywhere, although I didn't try any Centras either. I managed to get a bag of Divella Farina 00 pizza flour in Kate's farmshop to tie me over.

Frank's Place have started to stock a lot of Italian produce, but no flour. I'm considering asking them to start stocking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You could prepare the pizza bases earlier and put them between non stick layers in the fridge. Then prepare your toppings in portions, so essentially you just have to quickly assemble and then launch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone know if the west cork food company pizza sauce is a regular in Aldi, down to the last jar and it wasn't in stock last week.
    Found it tasty or is there another off the shelf one you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I'm on the same hunt for the last while, couldn't find it anywhere, although I didn't try any Centras either. I managed to get a bag of Divella Farina 00 pizza flour in Kate's farmshop to tie me over.

Frank's Place have started to stock a lot of Italian produce, but no flour. I'm considering asking them to start stocking it!

I get my Caputoflour from SuperValu - it won't be in the same section as normal flour....it'll be in the world food section (thats if your local SuperValu has such a section)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MacDanger wrote: »
    I think (open to correction though) that higher protein % is generally (but not strictly always) indicative of higher gluten content and higher gluten content makes the dough stretchier
    More protein means more gluten, which does make it stretchier but it's that stretchiness that makes the air pockets.

Would it be possible to par bake the dough beforehand and then you just have to add the ingredients afterwards? I'd imagine you would need to add some sauce otherwise the centre would just bubble up.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

I get my Caputoflour from SuperValu - it won't be in the same section as normal flour....it'll be in the world food section (thats if your local SuperValu has such a section)

Cheers, they definitely doesn't stock it though in the St. Aidan's one, in any of the sections. I must double-check the one in town.

The two in Wexford town don't seem to stock much 'exotic stuff' compared it to other local SVs that i've shopped in regularly over the years- Ballina (who stock it but were sold out when I checked last weekend), Ballinteer, Churchtown, Deansgrange, Knocklyon and Blackrock. We're not fancy enough down here! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi, is there an infrared thermometer that people usually recommend?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've had good results with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've had good results with this one.

I got this one. Bit cheaper when I bought it though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B089DYHPC6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

A few years ago now, I got this (or one that looks the same), if you don't mind buying from China
    https://www.banggood.com/-50~550(-58--F~1022--F)-Infrared-Thermometer-Handheld-Digital-Laser-Electronic-Outdoor-Non-Contact-Hygrometer-Humidity-IR-Laser-Thermometer-p-1767293.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search

I really wanted it for use with a bakestone. Seems to do the job well.

Lots of others on BangGood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭wandererz

I suspect that my wife is dead.

I tried one of those IR thermometers on her forehead (eyes closed) and it doesn't register.
    Tried a stethoscope as well, no heartbeat to be heard.

Case of walking zombie?

Eats all my pizza though.
    Sometimes two entire pizza's (they're that good).

On another note: those thermometers can be used to check heat loss in a room. It's what the BER guys use. Can't believe they charged me to point one of those at the walls.

Can be used to check outside temperature as well - just point at a surface such as a wall.

Can be used to check engine temperature for overheating issues.

So if you need a reason to justify buying one...

(note: these cannot be used for medical purposes).

Advertisement