Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

wandererz wrote: »
    I suspect that my wife is dead.

I tried one of those IR thermometers on her forehead (eyes closed) and it doesn't register.
    Tried a stethoscope as well, no heartbeat to be heard.

Case of walking zombie?

Eats all my pizza though.
    Sometimes two entire pizza's (they're that good).

On another note: those thermometers can be used to check heat loss in a room. It's what the BER guys use. Can't believe they charged me to point one of those at the walls.

Can be used to check outside temperature as well - just point at a surface such as a wall.

Can be used to check engine temperature for overheating issues.

So if you need a reason to justify buying one...

(note: these cannot be used for medical purposes).

I was using mine yesterday to check how far off boiling, a pot of water was. I love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I was using mine yesterday to check how far off boiling, a pot of water was. I love it! :)

My cat loves my mine

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

My cat loves my mine

The group of trash kittens near the bin shed of my apartment block love mine too while me pizzas are cooking… haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I'm on the same hunt for the last while, couldn't find it anywhere, although I didn't try any Centras either. I managed to get a bag of Divella Farina 00 pizza flour in Kate's farmshop to tie me over.

Frank's Place have started to stock a lot of Italian produce, but no flour. I'm considering asking them to start stocking it!

Ive been onto some where in Wexford town last night, and he said he would try source it for me, and he will let me know on Monday, so If he gets it in, ill post it in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Anyone know where I can get genuine Ooni wood pellets in Dublin? Failing that has anyone tried an alternative brand, there seem to be a lot of negative (even scary) reviews on some brands. Maybe they aren't designed for cooking food with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Brilliant, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Someone said a few months ago that they use the Stafford pellets from Woodies and found them good. They’re not designed for cooking but I doubt it matters as long as there’s no chemicals or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Staffords are safe to cook (and use as animal bedding)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

jpfahy wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get genuine Ooni wood pellets in Dublin? Failing that has anyone tried an alternative brand, there seem to be a lot of negative (even scary) reviews on some brands. Maybe they aren't designed for cooking food with.

Leinster Pellets work well. Mulch sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Someone said a few months ago that they use the Stafford pellets from Woodies and found them good. They’re not designed for cooking but I doubt it matters as long as there’s no chemicals or anything.

yeah I used to use Staffords wood pellets before I got the gas attachment. The bag is 15kg and lasts ages. It says on it 100% wood pellets, no glue or binders so is fine for cooking pizza with

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I used to use Staffords wood pellets before I got the gas attachment. The bag is 15kg and lasts ages. It says on it 100% wood pellets, no glue or binders so is fine for cooking pizza with

Do you have the Karu if you don’t mind me asking? And did you just use the pellets and some fire lighters in the Karu?

I’ve the Karu multi fuel ordered and I thought it had to be lumpwood charcoal and some kindling. The pellets would be handy though .

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Do you have the Karu if you don’t mind me asking? And did you just use the pellets and some fire lighters in the Karu?

I’ve the Karu multi fuel ordered and I thought it had to be lumpwood charcoal and some kindling. The pellets would be handy though .

Ive an Ooni 2 so yeah I just used wood pellets and straw firelighters to get it going. The firebox on the Ooni 2 isnt big enough to burn hardwood/charcoal but it is on the Karu and its designed for those fuels. But as far as I know there is nothing to stop you just burning pellets in it either if you want to. There is another model called the Fyra which is for wood pellets only but you cant add a gas attachment to it like you can with the Karu

Ive an Ooni 2 so yeah I just used wood pellets and straw firelighters to get it going. The firebox on the Ooni 2 isnt big enough to burn hardwood/charcoal but it is on the Karu and its designed for those fuels. But as far as I know there is nothing to stop you just burning pellets in it either if you want to. There is another model called the Fyra which is for wood pellets only but you cant add a gas attachment to it like you can with the Karu

Super thanks so much for the information. Just trying to get as much info as possible before it comes. The Gas attachment is out of stock at the moment so I’ll be cooking with wood for the moment until I manage to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

bigron2109 wrote: »

I have a karu, and as far as I know you can't burn pellets on it. We use both charcoal and kindling when cooking on ours, charcoal for a constant base temp and the kindling for a higher temp and flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭thejaguar

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi, is there an infrared thermometer that people usually recommend?

I bought this one in April

It's doing the job as far as I can see. I'm not looking for any serious accuracy though - just a general guide to whether the oven is hot enough.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks to whoever mentioned the spoodle previously. Never heard of them before, but bought the cheapest one I saw on Amazon out of curiosity. For something so simple, it's an absolutely brilliant utensil. Most even coverage of sauce I've ever managed on a pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Springwell.

Yep, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Zaph wrote: »
    Thanks to whoever mentioned the spoodle previously. Never heard of them before, but bought the cheapest one I saw on Amazon out of curiosity. For something so simple, it's an absolutely brilliant utensil. Most even coverage of sauce I've ever managed on a pizza.
    I still consider myself a doubter. A tablespoon is just as good....... :)

Had its maiden voyage last weekend. Went ok, it started to get windy as I was setting up so that caused some hassle. And my dough stretching skills need a lot of practice!

552651.jpg

Had its maiden voyage last weekend. Went ok, it started to get windy as I was setting up so that caused some hassle. And my dough stretching skills need a lot of practice!

This is exactly the type of thing I'd like to do - is there much work in it? It looks pretty straightforward from the picture.

Do you have any plans or specs you'd be willing to share?

• Advertisement

thejaguar wrote: »
    This is exactly the type of thing I'd like to do - is there much work in it? It looks pretty straightforward from the picture.

Do you have any plans or specs you'd be willing to share?

I'd be more than happy to share plans if I had any, but I winged the whole thing!

Its not overly complicated though. I thought about the design for a few days, worked out what timber I needed and then collected it one Saturday morning. I've no experience of woodwork at all, and I went at this with a handsaw, a drill and I borrowed a power sander. I'd say about 4 hours on the timber work (most of this was cutting the timber I reckon) and 1 hour to sand it. I couldn't get planed timber for the legs, so had to get rough timber and sand them down which was hassle.

Three coats of yacht varnish then over a week or so, which was by far the most painful part of the whole thing. :(

I got the wheel coasters in Woodies and the utensil rail in Homestore and I modified OscarBravo's .stl files for the leg brackets.

Its long enough to fit a pizza either side of the oven, about 135cm. And then narrow (80cm) enough to just about fit in my shed door for winter storage but also to accommodate that plastic box on the shelf which stores the charcoal etc. I made it to my ideal height but then the coasters added a couple of inches so its 104cm now, so I might trim the legs a little, I have a few inches to play with below the shelf.

I'd be happy to send on a few up close photos and the underside etc so you can get an idea of how's it put together if you want.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd love to see some closeups. Very nice work.

And then narrow (80cm) enough to just about fit in my shed door for winter storage

This is just the inspiration I needed - I'd been thinking about how I would manage storage over the winter - I've added a couple of things to the back garden and I wasn't sure how I'd fit it all in. You might have just given me the answer.

If you could share a couple of photos showing how it's put together that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

I am planning to build a shelf on the wall outside for the pizza oven beside where I keep my bbq - would be great to hear from anyone who did something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Just about to order an Ooni Karu 12. Is there a pizza peel that i can order from Nisbets or the like locally that won't cost as much as an Ooni one but which does the trick?

yeah Nisbetts sell them in their Ilac Centre store and online, around 30-35 euro iirc. Theyre about a tenner cheaper on ebay/Amazon. They wont be perforated like that 60 euro Ooni one is but they will still do the trick. Wooden ones are better for launching the pizza as the dough doesnt stick as easily as it does to metal. Then a metal one for taking it out and turning it. TK Maxx can be good for a wooden one, usually about 15 euro.

I bought my annual summer basil plant earlier today so I just made a margarita pizza tonight with loads of mozz and about 8 leaves of fresh basil on it. Had forgotten how delicious just a simple margarita is with basil, will be staying away from the meaty pizzas for a bit and just having one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

Looks like the Aldi pizza ovens never happened anyway.

I bought my annual summer basil plant earlier today

Do you just buy one of the ones from a supermarket and it lasts all summer? Does it take much care?

Brilliant, thanks!

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I've raised a ticket with Ooni EU about an issue with my Ooni Pro but when they reply to me (from support@ooni.com), I can't reply to them - it just gets bounced back and tells me to raise a new ticket:

Thank you for reaching out! You have contacted hello@ooni.com or support@ooni.com which are not monitored email addresses therefore your email has not been received.

Please do not reply to this email as we will not receive it. You can always submit a ticket to our team via support.ooni.com and we'll get back to you.

Anyone know what the story is with this?

Advertisement