Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

thos wrote: »
    Thought I’d share my Ooni experience so far:

I was too impatient a few weeks back, and ordered the 50mbar DE version as the 37mbar IE ones weren’t in stock, partly convincing myself that I was gonna swap the regulator anyway to try it on Butane. Didn’t work out too well, only got to 350c, and that was in the garage to get it out of the wind. Logged a support ticket looking for some help, they confirmed that the 50mbar would be too underpowered for 37mbar supply, and kindly swapped out my DE version for an IE version which was then in stock. A week turnaround to send old one back, and get new one, and new ‘proper’ one is cooking much better, up to heat and higher heat much quicker back on the patio where it belongs. Happy now, and great service from Ooni!

Wow, to be fair that sounds like great service!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

thos wrote: »
    Thought I’d share my Ooni experience so far:

I was too impatient a few weeks back, and ordered the 50mbar DE version as the 37mbar IE ones weren’t in stock, partly convincing myself that I was gonna swap the regulator anyway to try it on Butane. Didn’t work out too well, only got to 350c, and that was in the garage to get it out of the wind. Logged a support ticket looking for some help, they confirmed that the 50mbar would be too underpowered for 37mbar supply, and kindly swapped out my DE version for an IE version which was then in stock. A week turnaround to send old one back, and get new one, and new ‘proper’ one is cooking much better, up to heat and higher heat much quicker back on the patio where it belongs. Happy now, and great service from Ooni!

Seems mad that you got one within a week and there are people waiting since August for one they ordered then.

Excellent service for yourself though definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Was it in the meats section with the chorizo etc? My local SuperValu is poor for niche type things...

In fridge with other sliced prepacked hams, chorizo and cheeses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Was it in the meats section with the chorizo etc? My local SuperValu is poor for niche type things...

I’ve heard good things about the adimaria pepperoni, but not sure how it would work out getting it shipped here. I’m sure there is somewhere more local though like Ripasso etc

Got my cheese and pepperoni from adimaria today!,addresspal got it last Tuesday and they only sent me a mail on Friday saying id have it in 3-4 days ,but it came today and it was two 1kg bags of mozzarella and one 1kg bag of pepperoni,it was all wrapped in tinfoil with 4 cooler gel bags ,they are all fine, maybe because of the cold temperatures now it would probably be a different story if it was the Summer,going to try them on a pizza on Thursday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Got my cheese and pepperoni from adimaria today!,addresspal got it last Tuesday and they only sent me a mail on Friday saying id have it in 3-4 days ,but it came today and it was two 1kg bags of mozzarella and one 1kg bag of pepperoni,it was all wrapped in tinfoil with 4 cooler gel bags ,they are all fine, maybe because of the cold temperatures now it would probably be a different story if it was the Summer,going to try them on a pizza on Thursday..

That's a long transport time for mozzarella.
    Have you looked at Toonsbridge Dairy?

Good range of cheeses and meats.

https://www.toonsbridgedairy.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

How much was the shipping? Not sure I’d chance the cheese, particularly since we have some of the best in the world here! Aldi’s buffalo mozzarella is class as is the toonsbridge dairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

How much was the shipping? Not sure I’d chance the cheese, particularly since we have some of the best in the world here! Aldi’s buffalo mozzarella is class as is the toonsbridge dairy.

Can get plenty of buffalo mozzarella in the supermarkets but i find it hard to source good fior di latte mozzarella,6.99 shipping then addresspal fee on top of that.

Can get plenty of buffalo mozzarella in the supermarkets but i find it hard to source good fior di latte mozzarella,6.99 shipping then addresspal fee on top of that.

Toonsbridge ships fior di latte within 24hrs of making it.
    They do a drier version for pizza's too.
    Main shop in Cork and a new one in Dublin center and shipping for the rest of the country.

I've been to the one off Georges Street in Dublin and was impressed with the selection of meats and cheese.

Walked out with
    fior di latte +++
    n'duja ++++
    scamorza ++++ (great option for pizza)
    parmigiano regiano ++++

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Can people really tell the difference between mozzarellas, I've experimented with a lot and find little difference.
    To whoever was asking about flour in galway, try mortons.

Personally speaking I cook more of s NYC pizza than neapolitan and use a mixture of 3 cheeses, dried mozz, fresh mozz and fine picorino

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can people really tell the difference between mozzarellas, I've experimented with a lot and find little difference.

Between buffalo and regular, yeah. Between regular and the nasty dried catering/Tesco sandwich counter stuff, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Does anyone in Galway know if there’s a Supervalu that sells the blue Caputo?

I’ll answer my own question for the benefit of active in Galway: McCambridges have some now. I don’t remember seeing it there before,

The Nal wrote: »
    Between buffalo and regular, yeah. Between regular and the nasty dried catering/Tesco sandwich counter stuff, yeah.

I meant between the different fresh mozzarellas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I met Ooni’s nemesis yesterday. Wind! Had to use the matchstick attachment for first time and had to use it a lot. :(

I met Ooni’s nemesis yesterday. Wind! Had to use the matchstick attachment for first time and had to use it a lot. :(

I’ve found that wind is brutal alright... the stone just doesn’t heat up if the flame is flicking around... I tried turning the oven around away from the wind and it blew out the flame. It’s a pain in the arse but just means you need to find a sheltered place for it I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I’ve found that wind is brutal alright... the stone just doesn’t heat up if the flame is flicking around... I tried turning the oven around away from the wind and it blew out the flame. It’s a pain in the arse but just means you need to find a sheltered place for it I guess...

If you have a shed you could put it just inside of the door. This is where I always use mine and it works a treat no matter the weather.

Nokotan wrote: »
    If you have a shed you could put it just inside of the door. This is where I always use mine and it works a treat no matter the weather.

unfortunately im in an apartment with a balcony, so at times it’s a little challenging. I find myself using low tables to use the walls as shelter :o

I meant between the different fresh mozzarellas

Aha, sorry yeah I do. The cheapo stuff is fine but the extra 80c or so per mozz ball makes a difference. I notice the difference between Tesco cheapo and even mid range stuff like Galbani. Maybe not as much when cooked at 500c I suppose.

unfortunately im in an apartment with a balcony, so at times it’s a little challenging. I find myself using low tables to use the walls as shelter :o

Is this a Koda or Koda 16?

wandererz wrote: »
    Is this a Koda or Koda 16?

A regular koda. 90% of the time it’s fine, but on windier days it’s a little tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Yeah wind is a disaster for my uuni 3 too. If possible, angle it so the wind is hitting the back of the oven, which helps if it's not too windy. Otherwise, I put mine on a table just inside my (open) back door, and that does the trick. I can imagine an apartment balcony is even trickier. The lengths we go to!

• Advertisement

No issues with wind and the Fyra. A couple of blow outs from the back but was fairly consistent. I always manage to burn the 2nd pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The Karu handled the wind easily too. Angled it so the wind was blowing in the back of it. Lemon squeezy.

The Nal wrote: »
    Aha, sorry yeah I do. The cheapo stuff is fine but the extra 80c or so per mozz ball makes a difference. I notice the difference between Tesco cheapo and even mid range stuff like Galbani. Maybe not as much when cooked at 500c I suppose.

That's the thing though it is being cooked at that temp though I try not to cook above 400c, I'm all for using good ingredients but it's one part I don't as I cannot taste the difference

That's the thing though it is being cooked at that temp though I try not to cook above 400c, I'm all for using good ingredients but it's one part I don't as I cannot taste the difference

Yeah just shows the dough is the most important thing. Less is more is tough to get right but its true. Most of the great Italian pizzarias wouldn't use expensive ingredients. And there isn't a huge amount of topping on the pizza either. Quite sparse. Just good dough, basic passata and a few toppings. I think its the Americans who ruined pizza by drowning it in toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anyone having a nightmare with GLS? Have been waiting nearly two weeks now for my Ooni to be delivered :(

Have rung GLS multiple times and they keep fobbing me off with different excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

awhir wrote: »
    Anyone having a nightmare with GLS? Have been waiting nearly two weeks now for my Ooni to be delivered :(

Have rung GLS multiple times and they keep fobbing me off with different excuses.

I found their tracking to be useless. I got an email to say they picked the package up from ooni, then it seemed to be in the Netherlands for a week or so and then suddenly it was on my doorstep.

awhir wrote: »

Ordered a Koda 16 on 17th September.
    Delivery at that stage was showing late September.
    Then changed to mid October and then early November.

Got a text message on 26th September saying item shipped with Dpd.

Checked DPD but unrecognized number format.
    Checked online order & clicked on shipping link that led to GLS instead.

Next showed as at GLS delivery center in Dublin on 31st October .

Only delivered on 4th November.

Delivered by a Taxi driver (7 seater type van).
    Really nice guy, helped me carry it inside as well.

They’re probably too busy and hence have to outsource deliveries. In this case, the taxi driver probably appreciates the work considering the drop in fares.

From my perspective, yes it did take quite a bit of time to get to me since arriving in Dublin.

But it was nice to get it in good condition and to have the taxi guy deliver it compared to the 'don't give a damn" regular GLS couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Just had my first go on the koda

https://youtu.be/17prxpENNPM

Anyone offer any tips for When cooking for a crowd.
    Found it pretty hard to do when attempting to get the dough from the tray, flatten it ready and watch the oven at the same time
    Literally look away for 30 seconds and it's burnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone offer any tips for When cooking for a crowd.
    Found it pretty hard to do when attempting to get the dough from the tray, flatten it ready and watch the oven at the same time
    Literally look away for 30 seconds and it's burnt

Pre cook your bases? Roll them out, prick them all over with a fork then stick them in a cooler than usual oven (250c-300c) for a minute.

Advertisement