Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My ooni karu is apparently on its way :D. My husband got sick of my humming and having trying to justify the cost all summer and just bought it for me last week. Excited!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

€60 euro for this. Nice little find in the bargin bin of homebase.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Limpy wrote: »
    €60 euro for this. Nice little find in the bargin bin of homebase.

They don’t get anywhere near the temperature needed to cook pizza. Will be good craic though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

They don’t get anywhere near the temperature needed to cook pizza. Will be good craic though.

The kid's won't be to fussy once the cheese melts and the base is crispy lol.

It arrived :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Just the heads up that John Lewis have a good selection of Ooni ovens in stock for immediate despatch.:D

https://www.johnlewis.com/ooni-koda-16-gas-fuel-portable-pizza-oven/p5049055

https://www.johnlewis.com/ooni-koda-gas-fuel-portable-pizza-oven/p4055599

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

In case anyone was interested, I’ve just ordered the ooni scales on the uk website thru parcel motel.

If you want them on their own on the eu site it’s €50 plus €20 shipping :eek:

So £39.99 less £3.99 (10% referral) plus parcel motel is just about €43 delivered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I got the rain cover for mine and it was something like 10 quid more expensive by going through the EU site compared to the UK site using Parcel Motel. If you're not getting free shipping the UK site seems the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve had my Ooni a good few months now but my internet is riddled with bloody Ooni ads! Go away! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Adblocker extension will sort that., no ads at all except on sites where you whitelist them.

Or else click the X in the top right hand corner and you should be able to tell Google to stop showing you those ads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Pete123456 wrote: »
    In case anyone was interested, I’ve just ordered the ooni scales on the uk website thru parcel motel.

If you want them on their own on the eu site it’s €50 plus €20 shipping :eek:

So £39.99 less £3.99 (10% referral) plus parcel motel is just about €43 delivered :D

€9 through prime. If you need a regular scales, aldi/lidl, but i doubt pizza makers need the regular, just the ones that do tenth of a gram.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FQHE25U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

oleras wrote: »
    €9 through prime. If you need a regular scales, aldi/lidl, but i doubt pizza makers need the regular, just the ones that do tenth of a gram.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FQHE25U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just ordered this, up to now I've been eye-balling instant dried yest on a teaspoon.
    Itching to make some pizza this weekend so will be picking up some caputo flour in SuperValu. Just wondering, when people are handling sticky dough (65% plus) do ye favour floured hands, wet hands or oiled hands? I've read different accounts of people swearing by all three!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi,
    Would anyone have a link to some decent cast iron sizzler pans like Ooni sell , but never seem to have in stock, that don't cost a fortune?!

Made some naan bread and pitta breads in the Ooni over the last few days using the below recipes.
    Would highly recommend. They tasted so good. Hard to go back to a shop bought pitta bread after having them. Only thing is to watch the pitta when it expands as it will hit the roof of the oven and can burn easy.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/naan-bread

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/the-easiest-homemade-pita-bread/?fbclid=IwAR0l6y7yf14Wi_BGdTfFMFMyXkizreZ58_zphpgzKubpDWgok8Mzzd0FcMU

maximo31 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Would anyone have a link to some decent cast iron sizzler pans like Ooni sell , but never seem to have in stock, that don't cost a fortune!

All of the ooni stuff is way overpriced. €60 for a peel? I got one for a tenner on Amazon and it does the same job..

That said, I really love the oven!

All of the ooni stuff is way overpriced. €60 for a peel? I got one for a tenner on Amazon and it does the same job..

I agree , some crazy prices on the website. Be mad to pay some of their prices.
    Hoping to get a cast iron pan at a more reasonable price. Knowing the temperature that the pan will be safe to use in the Ooni too....Aldi had some nice ones a few weeks back but were only safe up to 250 degrees or there about.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

maximo31 wrote: »
    Made some naan bread and pitta breads in the Ooni over the last few days using the below recipes.

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/the-easiest-homemade-pita-bread/?fbclid=IwAR0l6y7yf14Wi_BGdTfFMFMyXkizreZ58_zphpgzKubpDWgok8Mzzd0FcMU

Did you really try this recipe? I can't see how anybody could make a dough with 54% hydration. Outdone in it's madness is the instruction to leave to double in volume in 20 minutes? I wonder have these people actually tried the recipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I’ve had a google for scales and also cast iron pans. In terms of the scales I went with ooni because they were good quality and the reviews are good. The equivalent on Amazon was not quite the same and I would prefer an integrated unit.

In terms of cast iron, I’ve found a lot of places don’t even list the max temperature. I checked the ones on Nisbets and they don’t either but I’m assuming if you get a good quality one it should be fine.

I think overall ooni is a bit like Apple. Their stuff looks good and it just works, versus the other “android” approach where you could probably get the same or greater performance for a lot less but with other drawbacks and maybe not the same level of design... personal preference at the end of the day (and not trying to alienate android users either)

Sorry Pete...couldn't resist. :D

All valid points though. Although, i was a tad shocked they didnt even include a basic peel, even one like you would get with a weber pizza stone.

Cooked a few on sunday, just a basic dough, first time using the oven and was very happy with the taste, i did manage to set a pizza on fire though...lol

PXL_20201003_131249593.jpg

PXL_20201003_132933434.jpg

PXL_20201003_160455707.jpg

PXL_20201003_161041680.jpg

PXL_20201003_184447123.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201003_194359369.jpg

PXL_20201003_193618322.jpg

PXL_20201003_194639830.jpg

Have a 24h cold ferment dough in the fridge since yesterday for later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

The cast iron pans from aldi were only rated to 250c as they were enameled on the outside, the enamel can crack at high temperatures. It is only an appearance issue on exterior enameled pans but one where the inside is also coated could potentially contaminate food if it cracks. Any non enameled cast iron pan will be fine in the Ooni. Tk Maxx would regularly have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Hi all, my ooni koda 16 just arrived. Had already picked up the gozney turning peel and an aluminum paddle from amazon for launching.

Sounds like I don't necessarily need the thermometer but I'm wondering about these wooden peels. Ooni don't have stock of the 16" ones - think I'll be happy with 14" anyway but can't find any alternatives to that size on amazon etc. Also wondering how necessary the wooden peel are if I have a paddle for launching. Anyone just using kitchen counter or table to prep on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

donnacha wrote: »
    Hi all, my ooni koda 16 just arrived. Had already picked up the gozney turning peel and an aluminum paddle from amazon for launching.

Sounds like I don't necessarily need the thermometer but I'm wondering about these wooden peels. Ooni don't have stock of the 16" ones - think I'll be happy with 14" anyway but can't find any alternatives to that size on amazon etc. Also wondering how necessary the wooden peel are if I have a paddle for launching. Anyone just using kitchen counter or table to prep on?

If you want a production line set-up - someone manning the wooden peel and building the pizza, someone watching/turning the pizza while it cooks and then someone to cut up and serve the finished product then yes, a wooden peel would be great. But, if like most of us, you're the one making, cooking and serving the pizzas then you won't have time to need an extra peel. :)

donalh087 wrote: »
    Did you really try this recipe? I can't see how anybody could make a dough with 54% hydration. Outdone in it's madness is the instruction to leave to double in volume in 20 minutes? I wonder have these people actually tried the recipes?
    Yeah , I just used the ingredients they stated. I haven't got around to understanding the whole hydration thing yet TBH. Too wet , I add more flour, too dry, more water!:o
    I did leave it to proof for a couple of hours.
    I am no expert , just a beginner but they did come out really well.

We gave the ooni it's first run out today.

The pizza didn't turn out to bad all things considered. We had planned on using gas, but realised earlier on that the attachment doesn't fit our gas canister because it's a flogas, rather than patio gas. I'll be on the hunt for the correct regulator tomorrow. When actually cooking the garlic bread and pizza I was too eager to get going and put them in slightly to early, so we didn't get the crusty base. But at least I didn't make a calzone or burn the pizza! I think this time of year the gas will be far handier than charcoal/timber to control the temp. Can't wait for a proper experiment on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

scarepanda wrote: »
    We gave the ooni it's first run out today.

The pizza didn't turn out to bad all things considered. We had planned on using gas, but realised earlier on that the attachment doesn't fit our gas canister because it's a flogas, rather than patio gas. I'll be on the hunt for the correct regulator tomorrow. When actually cooking the garlic bread and pizza I was too eager to get going and put them in slightly to early, so we didn't get the crusty base. But at least I didn't make a calzone or burn the pizza! I think this time of year the gas will be far handier than charcoal/timber to control the temp. Can't wait for a proper experiment on Saturday!

Outstanding!

How did you make the dough? Crust looks excellent

Haha, thank you! It's the first time I've ever stretched dough fully by hand!

The recipe is:
    500g 00 flour (can't remember what type, Its one I got in Pallas cash and carry during the summer),
    350ml water (needed to dust a bit of flour when kneading though),
    7g yeast,
    1tbsp olive oil,
    10g salt and
    a pinch of sugar in the water with the yeast.

Tonight's dough was made yesterday, proved on the counter because we used half yesterday, then thrown in the fridge over night and out on the counter about 4hrs before using today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

donnacha wrote: »

Buy a couple of wooden serving paddles. Make up the pizza on the (floured) wooden paddle and launch from that. Turn it with the metal one you already have then back on to the wooden one for serving.

This is what you are looking for:
    https://cookinglife.eu/pizza-board-bamboo-51-x-30-x-2-cm/

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

To be honest, I wouldn't be without the perforated pizza peel. It came with the Ooni kit, and it immediately put my normal pizza peel (American Master) into storage. It is compact and extremely fast and easy to launch from.

• Advertisement

fmul9798 wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't be without the perforated pizza peel. It came with the Ooni kit, and it immediately put my normal pizza peel (American Master) into storage. It is compact and extremely fast and easy to launch from.

I use a wooden one off amazon. Works perfect. The perforated one does look tempting, but its crazy money for what it is.

Advertisement