Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Anyone offer any tips for When cooking for a crowd.
    Found it pretty hard to do when attempting to get the dough from the tray, flatten it ready and watch the oven at the same time
    Literally look away for 30 seconds and it's burnt

You need min 3 peels..2 to launch and 1 to remove and turn...also keep dough ready stretched to load toppings...i generally do stretching and launching and let someone else to turn and remove..

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Don't think I could pre cook the bases, can try but I'd be afraid they'd stiffen up when being cooked properly,

Have plenty of peels etc I use 2 wooden ones to launch and 2 metal for turning /removing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can't see how you'd have time to do anything during cooking. Takes 1:30 to 2 minutes to cook. I'm turning the pizza every 20 to 30 seconds. Not a whole lot of time to fit anything in between. If I had a base pre stretched maybe I could top it in between but being distracted for even a few extra seconds could see one side of the pizza in flames!

Probably better anyway to have a minute or two for the stone to come back up to temperature between pizza's rather than firing them in one after another. Haven't cooked for a large group though yet, 4 pizzas and 2 bases as garlic breads is the most I've done in one go. Handiest way is a second pair of hands as Roberto said to turn and take them out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Definitely need a second person to manage either the dough or the oven. Guests can manage topping and cutting. The hard part is getting a few slices for yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Cook 10-15 pizzas the day before and heat them in the oven on the day, actually lovely and a bit crisper. Cook out the other 15-20 on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I’m curious now about par baking bases, I think it could be a good way to practice and trial different recipes without having to eat pizza every day :)

I see the likes of the dough bros doing parbaked pizza kits. How do you achieve this? Just make a base, sauce it and lash it in for 30 seconds? Has anybody had much success with partaking? Also wondering how well they freeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I’m curious now about par baking bases, I think it could be a good way to practice and trial different recipes without having to eat pizza every day :)

I see the likes of the dough bros doing parbaked pizza kits. How do you achieve this? Just make a base, sauce it and lash it in for 30 seconds? Has anybody had much success with partaking? Also wondering how well they freeze?

Well I can confirm the dough bros ones are nice - they're pretty much cooked fully, minus the toppings (just base and some sauce), and then you add more sauce / toppings, and finish in the normal oven. I'm guessing if you tried to finish them in an ooni the crust would burn before the toppings are done. Anyway, dough bros are clearly only doing them as a workaround, I personally wouldn't even contemplate trying to do it at home because there's no way they'll be as good as when they're done fresh. The only way to get through a lot of pizzas quickly is to have a second person manning the oven in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

I struggled to turn the pizza in the koda to stop it burning would any a turning peel be advised
    There 50 on ooni it's big money for it

nigwerwig wrote: »
    I struggled to turn the pizza in the koda to stop it burning would any a turning peel be advised

I got the gozney short turning peel for about 50 delivered if I remember right, it’s very solid and useful - glad I bought it

Any smallish metal peel should work - have a look on Amazon. If you were handy i have seen people making their own also fairly easily but I would worry about Spurs etc

alternatively you can pull the pizza out, turn a quarter and back in in about 5 seconds... just depends on what you want to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I got the Ooni one delivered this morning bought it on their UK site and used parcel wizard €60 all in,it is expensive and i haven't used it yet but it's sturdy enough and looks great!

This guy makes his own and they are half the price

https://www.slice-of-fire.co.uk/shop/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

awhir wrote: »
    Anyone having a nightmare with GLS?

GLS are really bad at the best of times.

Just last week they left a package on my doorstep for an address 5km away. I don't know how their drivers can't read an address or eircode.

And they are kicking up a song and dance about picking it up again to deliver to the right person. Asked for photographic proof of the tracking number from the package FFS.

Do ooni ever have any black Friday deals, I have 180 worth stuff in my cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Do ooni ever have any black Friday deals, I have 180 worth stuff in my cart.

Last year they had 20% off site wide.

Last year they had 20% off site wide.

Think il just just hold out I don't need the stuff. I just want it. The story of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Anyone tried or recommend a sourdough pizza dough?
    One you make not buy I hasten to add.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Thanks

https://pizza-calculator.the-bread-code.io/
    I find this great, cold prove for up to 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The ever surly GLS driver just banged on my doras so I now have a gas burner for my Karu.

Edit: When I got the package it looked like it had been opened and taped shut again. The burner and regulator are here but no screws, Allen key or match holder.
    Can anyone tell me what length the screws are so I can pick some up tomorrow?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Thanks

You can sub in liquid (50/50 flour and water) starter by using 100g of starter for every 7g/sachet of dry yeast or 21g fresh. Just deduct the weight of flour and water added in by the starter from the weights needed in the recipe.

Often though, I make Dan Lepard's beer dough with fresh yeast and put in a few spoons of unfed starter out of the fridge to bump up the flavour, rather than using it as the raising agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Just bought the Koda and a cover from Selfridges in the UK with 20% off (Code: SELFCCE)

Might be of some use to folks here.

Can’t wait to start making pizzas ��

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Thanks

I use Patrick Ryan’s sourdough recipe for bread. He has one for pizza but I’ve never tried it. He adds a bit of dry yeast. You’ll find it on YouTube.

• Advertisement

Thanks

I’ve tried the ooni sourdough pizza and I found it very nice and airy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Bought a Weber Kettle Bbq at the start of Covid. Added a pizza stone and really enjoyed the pizzas over the summer.

However from reading this thread and watching YouTube last night I've now convinced myself to buy a Ooni on black Friday..... Eeek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Bought a Weber Kettle Bbq at the start of Covid. Added a pizza stone and really enjoyed the pizzas over the summer.

However from reading this thread and watching YouTube last night I've now convinced myself to buy a Ooni on black Friday..... Eeek

Trying to convince herself to go for the Selfridge's deal....

Cannot see there being a better offer ( with availability) than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Trying to convince herself to go for the Selfridge's deal....

Cannot see there being a better offer ( with availability) than that.

You convinced me anyhow....

Pizza peel and pellets next.

Is" a room outside" the best bet? I'm in the Kerry/Cork area

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Woodies do wood pellets, Staffords is the brand, its a green 15kg bag for 9.99 which will last you ages, about 50+ cooks. They have no glue or binders in them so theyre safe for cooking food with. I think Ooni still have their own brand pellets on their site but they are quite expensive in comparison to Staffords from Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Stumbled across this video for a Sicilian pizza made with semolina

https://youtu.be/gJz3HD6WdE4

I've tried the baking paper trick in a normal oven on a pizza stone, but not in a pizza oven yet.

Was able to just pull out the paper from under the pizza while still in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Newtown90 wrote: »
    You convinced me anyhow....

Pizza peel and pellets next.

Is" a room outside" the best bet? I'm in the Kerry/Cork area

Will you marry me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Have been looking out for a trolley/ table for my koda instead of using the garden table which is a little low. The ooni table is mad price and the ikea similiar one is never in stock.

So picked up a work shop trolley from Halfords in their sale for 53 euro. Its perfect size for Koda and a bottle of gas. Works perfect for me as can just wheel it out of shed, cook and wheel back in when finished

https://postimg.cc/YhwTp0S7

https://postimg.cc/zVS63NLg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Have been looking out for a trolley/ table for my koda instead of using the garden table which is a little low. The ooni table is mad price and the ikea similiar one is never in stock.

So picked up a work shop trolley from Halfords in their sale for 53 euro. Its perfect size for Koda and a bottle of gas. Works perfect for me as can just wheel it out of shed, cook and wheel back in when finished

https://postimg.cc/YhwTp0S7

https://postimg.cc/zVS63NLg

Silly Q, does it come flat pack? I am just wondering about getting it home. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Silly Q, does it come flat pack? I am just wondering about getting it home. Thanks!

Yeah its flat pack in one box.

Advertisement