Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭donnacha

Picked up a bottle of gin mare in the airport pre xmas. Myself and Mrs new favourite gin.

Woah woah I can tell you are excited :D I was serious as I love the pairing. You can buy elderflower tonic. But as most places don't have it you can get an elderflower flavoured drink and add a bit to your normal tonic. Cordial sounds strong (I have been using a carbonated elderflower drink from tesco with tonic) so just add a small bit and taste, add more until you think it's right. My favourite thing to drink would be gunpowder with elderflower tonic and a slice of grapefruit

I'll try that next weekend. I'd say the cordial is quite rich so I'll go bit by bit. Don't have Gunpowder but I do have Dingle and Hendricks so i think I'll survive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Shed Distillery (people behind Gunpowder) have released a new gin with German botanicals. Van Haller"s Gin.

It is pricy but very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Tesco are doing a promotion on Plymouth Gin at the moment; down to €22, so I thought I'd give it a go. Online reviews seem to be very good.

Has anyone here tried it and what did you think?

Tesco are doing a promotion on Plymouth Gin at the moment; down to €22, so I thought I'd give it a go. Online reviews seem to be very good.

Has anyone here tried it and what did you think?

Plymouth is a very solid, well priced gin.
    I don't think you'd get a better gin at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Tries a bottle of that Ha'penny Pot Still Gin

Not bad - a kind of sweetness to it.

Woah woah I can tell you are excited :D I was serious as I love the pairing. You can buy elderflower tonic. But as most places don't have it you can get an elderflower flavoured drink and add a bit to your normal tonic. Cordial sounds strong (I have been using a carbonated elderflower drink from tesco with tonic) so just add a small bit and taste, add more until you think it's right. My favourite thing to drink would be gunpowder with elderflower tonic and a slice of grapefruit

Only opened the bottle recently. It was fine but thought the tonic overtook the whole elderflower flavour. It might be better as part of a cocktail and maybe with sloe-gin and a small bit of soda water?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Plymouth is a very solid, well priced gin.
    I don't think you'd get a better gin at that price.

€11 in my local for Bombay sapphire ain't bad either :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

We got a Christmas present of the Rabbit Island Gin from Lidl. It was lovely.

I wanted to gift it to someone but it must of been just a special haven't seen it since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

gizmo81 wrote: »
    We got a Christmas present of the Rabbit Island Gin from Lidl. It was lovely.

I wanted to gift it to someone but it must of been just a special haven't seen it since Christmas.

They've changed the name to wild burrow but it's the same blue bottle. I noticed it yesterday

• Advertisement

Hey thanks just goggled and Lidl announced it's back under the new name. Wonder what happened? Anyway hope I see it back in stock
    nialldinho wrote: »
    They've changed the name to wild burrow but it's the same blue bottle. I noticed it yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I had some Blue Bottle gin while away, I only ever saw it in the hotel i was staying in.

Quite nice, not spectacular, but I would have picked up a bottle had I seen it on sale in a shop/duty free.

Are there any Irish stockists of it ?

Blue-Bottle-Artisan-Dry-Gin-07l_b2.jpg

Hey thanks just goggled and Lidl announced it's back under the new name. Wonder what happened? Anyway hope I see it back in stock

I explained it a few posts back.
    They didn't own the Rabbit Island trade mark.
    Bit stupid to not check before doing your branding.

'RE, blue bottle gin

Amazon to the rescue.
    It actually tastes better than I remember.

May I ask, do you use Addresspal or similar to get alcohol from Amazon?
    pa990 wrote: »
    'RE, blue bottle gin

Amazon to the rescue.
    It actually tastes better than I remember.

May I ask, do you use Addresspal or similar to get alcohol from Amazon?

Parcelmotel

It works fine for UK deliveries... Can be hit and miss for other countries. Ie germany

90% of stuff gets thru

Cheers thank you
    pa990 wrote: »
    Parcelmotel

It works fine for UK deliveries... Can be hit and miss for other countries. Ie germany

90% of stuff gets thru

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Just wondering if anyone knows what shops stock Poachers Tonic, Tomas Henry or Fentimans please?

I regularly but Fevertree in Tesco which is lovely, but at the weekend had the Poachers Citrus Tonic and it is fab, would like to get my hands on some more! Equally the Tomas Henry is really nice too.

I spotted the Tomas Henry Cherry in OBriens but that is the only one they had, and also they had single bottles of Poachers, but ideally would like to get a 4/6 pack for an upcoming party.

Am based in Kildare but willing to travel if anyone knows where I can get them!

I have founds a few online sites, but they all have a large minimum order and delivery charge.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

I bought poachers in the newbridge obriens. They had loads in. Might be worth ringing them or naas in advance to check stock

Mimojo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what shops stock Poachers Tonic, Tomas Henry or Fentimans please?

I regularly but Fevertree in Tesco which is lovely, but at the weekend had the Poachers Citrus Tonic and it is fab, would like to get my hands on some more! Equally the Tomas Henry is really nice too.

I spotted the Tomas Henry Cherry in OBriens but that is the only one they had, and also they had single bottles of Poachers, but ideally would like to get a 4/6 pack for an upcoming party.

Am based in Kildare but willing to travel if anyone knows where I can get them!

I have founds a few online sites, but they all have a large minimum order and delivery charge.

Thanks!

Afaik, O Briens are the cheapest stockist of poachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Has anyone tried Mr Copperhead gin
    It's a London Dry Gin from Belgium

I've seen it in a few bars and couldn't resist when I saw it in the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I bought poachers in the newbridge obriens. They had loads in. Might be worth ringing them or naas in advance to check stock
    Afaik, O Briens are the cheapest stockist of poachers.

Cheers, will def check out OBriens Newbridge this week. I was in Naas at the weekend but they had a tiny selection, only Tomas Henry regular and cherry, and the Poachers Citris, and about 5 bottles of each.

imme wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Mr Copperhead gin
    It's a London Dry Gin from Belgium

I've seen it in a few bars and couldn't resist when I saw it in the shop

It's a good gin. Not sure it's worth the price but it is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Has anyone here tried The Botanist gin from Islay? It's getting good reviews, and I'm looking for a Scottish gin to take to a gin party. From the ones I can get here, I think it's down to that or the Edinburgh Seaside gin. Hendricks or Tanqueray aren't going to cut it. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I had a litre of it recently haha, quite liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

bnt wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried The Botanist gin from Islay? It's getting good reviews, and I'm looking for a Scottish gin to take to a gin party. From the ones I can get here, I think it's down to that or the Edinburgh Seaside gin. Hendricks or Tanqueray aren't going to cut it. :cool:

Daffys Gin.

Thank me later

bnt wrote: »

I like the Botanist.
    Tanqueray 10 is really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

newbie2 wrote: »
    Daffys Gin.

Thank me later
    I saw that, but they're proclaiming themselves the best gin the world because of some award, and the price is significantly higher now.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Today is Gin Day so I have treated myself to a bottle of Monkey 47. I was going to have it with Fevertree light tonic and some lime but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I'm soooo looking forward to it :)

Advertisement