Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Cairns' Murder finally confirmed?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Philip Cairns: ‘A ring of people have protected this case’
    DJ Gareth O’Callaghan does not believe Eamon Cooke played part in boy’s disappearance

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/philip-cairns-a-ring-of-people-have-protected-this-case-1.2754635

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Read the bit in the Irish Times today about Gareth O' Callaghan.
    So on the one hand O' Callaghan is saying the garda were dismissive of a lot of people coming forward with claims of being abused.
    Yet in the same breath he just as easily dismisses the claim made by the woman about seeing Philip being knocked unconscious in the radio studio.

He's not really doing much for his argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

An interesting tidbit I learned recently is that the local Ballyroan Holy Spirit church has the one of the highest Mass donation incomes in the Diocese. That all goes directly to the Diocese but some of it came back in the form of the religious centre they built there recently (it's next to the new Library and neither are on Google Streetview). Must have cost a pretty penny.

It's just an observation on the character of the area tbh. Colaiste Eanna is populated mainly by sons of boggers who didn't get the family farm and moved up to the big schmoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

aphex™ wrote: »
    An interesting tidbit I learned recently is that the local Ballyroan Holy Spirit church has the one of the highest Mass donation incomes in the Diocese. That all goes directly to the Diocese but some of it came back in the form of the religious centre they built there recently (it's next to the new Library and neither are on Google Streetview). Must have cost a pretty penny.

It's just an observation on the character of the area tbh. Colaiste Eanna is populated mainly by sons of boggers who didn't get the family farm and moved up to the big schmoke.

I'm grew up quite close to the area and I find that statement unfounded. Yes there are some country folk in the school, but not all are, most come from the area.

The Church is located in the end of a row of shops, a lot of people go there after shopping to pray or whatever. Quite a few would go to light a candle because its easily accessible (while giving a donation of whatever spare change they have)
    The Church is also in the middle of quite a dense set of housing estates, and has a large catchment area so a lot of people would fit into the map of the diocese, which would impact on the amount of people attending that church, and increase the dontations as a result. In comparison, the other churches nearby aren't in the middle of housing estates so wouldn't have as many attending.

There is a close knit community there and the religious center is used for a lot more than just religion, often there are photography exhibitions, music classes, yoga classes etc run from the center. People are friendly and willing to stop for a chat and a cuppa in the local coffee shop. It brings people together and gets money generated for businesses in the local.

The above fact doesn't really have any reflection on the "Character" of the area as you put it.

To everybody else it explains everything.

expand on that please?

What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement

It's just an observation of the area, from the time. At Philips time the area would be quite new and the first generation of kids still appearing. When you say a lot of people are from the area, that's not really true as the housing estates in the area were only recently built at the time.

When I say it's a deeply religious enclave of people from the country moved up to Dublin people can draw inferences from that given historical issues in the past in Ireland which I don't need to explain.

I'm from the area too and went to the school so I know all about the area. You try and say it's modern with yoga clubs etc but they only arrived recently. Again, it's a deeply religious backward area of Dublin.

No need to get uppity about it.

I'm from the area too and went to the school so I know all about the area. You try and say it's modern with yoga clubs etc but they only arrived recently. Again, it's a deeply religious backward area of Dublin.

That a very harsh statement to make, and certainly doesn't explain it all.

No its not backwards at all, its like any Irish town or suburb, even back then.

That raises most for the Diocese. Says a lot. More than anywhere.

Unfortunately on the internet there's always somebody to get offended, take things up the wrong way.

I hadn't heard of many paedo rings operating in Dublin until this. Dalkey, yes but that's it. Now there are several in this particular area, as has come to light in the newspaper cuttings regarding Philip in the last few months.

That raises most for the Diocese. Says a lot. More than anywhere.

Unfortunately on the internet there's always somebody to get offended, take things up the wrong way.

You have very strongly worded your responses, and insulted the area, so I'm just trying to figure out why you feel a diocese that seems to be generous and full of community spirit has any impact on a missing child case from 30 years ago which you feel "explains it all"

It kinda doesn't explain it all, and I am trying to understand why you think it does, I'm not taking offence.

Edit: I see somehow you've connected a wealthy generous diocese to paedo rings in the area... Interesting

There were reports of serveral paedo rings operating in the area in the newspapers and I'm insulting the area?

Paedo rings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

aphex wrote: »
    There were reports of serveral paedo rings operating in the area in the newspapers and I'm insulting the area?

Paedo rings.
    Sorry Aphex, but I don't know what point you are making either.

What is the link between donations made to the parish church and the alleged criminal activity?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's just an observation of the area, from the time. At Philips time the area would be quite new and the first generation of kids still appearing. When you say a lot of people are from the area, that's not really true as the housing estates in the area were only recently built at the time.

When I say it's a deeply religious enclave of people from the country moved up to Dublin people can draw inferences from that given historical issues in the past in Ireland which I don't need to explain.

I'm from the area too. Went to school with Philip.

You're kinda wide of the mark, I'm afraid.

I don't think so folks.

If you read any book about the incident in Bootle, UK you the first few paragraphs will contain descriptions and characterisations of the area, and any social problems there in.

Of course some people from the area would get offended. Worry about property prices etc. Sure I wasn't a victim etc.

Needless to say if you characterize an area of leafy Dublin as having deeply religious, backward and having several paedo rings operating in it people from the area get offended too.

I'm out. Paedo rings. I win.

What is the link between donations made to the parish church and the alleged criminal activity?

Nope. Not at all.. I characterized the area as deeply religious. Don't be putting things in people's mouth, as it were.

Nope. Not at all.. I characterized the area as deeply religious. Don't be putting things in people's mouth, as it were.

fact is you did make these connections and called the area backward.

Your points are coming across very badly and very misconstrued.

Any area with paedo rings operating, kids disappearing on the way to school, has a deeply religious set of people from the countryside moved to the area (in Philip's time at least) etc. is backward in my book. We can agree to disagree if you want.

You can't change anybody's opinion on the internet, you know.

I still live close by. It's no more or less 'deeply religious' than any other similar suburb with a similar demographic profile. In 1986 it was no more or less 'deeply religious' than any other similar suburb.

You're talking out your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

aphex™, the claims you have been making have been rubbished by people who live in the area and you are approaching soapboxing territory.

Unless you have some sources to back up your claims, back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Not putting words in your mouth. You have raised these points and I just don't know what you're trying to get at. Given your responses on this thread I don't think I care now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Any area with paedo rings operating, kids disappearing on the way to school, has a deeply religious set of people from the countryside moved to the area (in Philip's time at least) etc. is backward in my book. We can agree to disagree if you want.

You can't change anybody's opinion on the internet, you know.

The basis of your outburst seems to be unsubstantiated tabloid stories, an anecdote about the amount of money collected at the church, the refurbishment of a 50 year old community centre and a nasty prejudice against people from the country. The facts are that the church is so empty most weeks there's only 1 priest left and masses have been cut back.
    In the 80s divorce and abortion referendums the area was the 2nd highest in the country for and against respectively, one of the few constituencies to take a liberal position on both issues.
    There's no "agree to disagree" here, you're just wrong.

• Advertisement

Well said Sabat, but you know, you can't change people's opinions on the internet an all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This weeks idea is sublime police work.

"Could the bag have been planted in the laneway as a warning to the students to keep their mouths shut? It was found that evening after all of these students had been questioned by detectives."

Yep, it was planted after student interviews to help keep them quiet :):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

who's suggesting that?

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^

who's suggesting that?

Journalists. All the articles written since the Cooke story appeared have been based on 5/6 facts. All of the rest has been speculation, reframing, supposition and downright bullcrap. It's what journalists do. The guards won't confirm or deny for obvious reasons, and enough people accept what journalists spew out without questioning to keep the editors happy.

Try it. Read back through the articles. Make a mental note each time you read a new fact. You won't need much mental notepaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Was a cause ever determined conclusively for the fire which destroyed Big D radio (the station established by Cookes former staff following the first "mutiny") ?

Given Cooke's later convictions for arson is it possible that the fire (from which the station reemerged for a while but only as a shadow of its former self) was not the accident that everyone assumed at the time ?

Cooke had form for stealing (or damaging) transmitters, jamming signals and cutting down aerials belonging to other stations (even ones targetting completly different audiences) and his motives for harming Big D obviously went well beyond commercial rivalary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It was an insurance scam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

More innuendo from GOC.

Alleging that an FF politician had set up a false facebook account in order to "troll" O Callaghan.

Gareth is now "reaching out" to Wexford FF TD James Brown to see if he can help or knows anything about it.........

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=682445695236563&id=305722736242196&_ft_=top_level_post_id.682445695236563%3Atl_objid.682445695236563&__tn__=%2C%3B

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Crazy the amount of wacky posts GOC is posting up on this, and indeed the wackier members of the public who buy it. It's a cast of thousands who were behind the conspiracy; even Jimmy Saville and Terri Keane had a part to play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

endacl wrote: »
    Journalists. All the articles written since the Cooke story appeared have been based on 5/6 facts. All of the rest has been speculation, reframing, supposition and downright bullcrap. It's what journalists do. The guards won't confirm or deny for obvious reasons, and enough people accept what journalists spew out without questioning to keep the editors happy.

Try it. Read back through the articles. Make a mental note each time you read a new fact. You won't need much mental notepaper.

journalists ? well they are well known for publishing truthful and proven facts .

especially the fruitcakes pushing this case

It does seem likely that Philip was killed by cooke but it will most likely never be proven at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Gareth the Good has wrapped up his investigation.

He is exhausted. And he's after writing a letter to Philip.

And putting it on bookface.
    On the offchance that Philip is on bookface too, presumably.

He's come to the conclusion that Philip was killed by a religious nutter of some sort connected to prayer meetings that Philip was attending.

I'd certainly agree with him on that.

It comes back to the religious angle that was there from the start of this case, everyone very religious, Philip very religious, ideal pickings for a very religious oddball to be attracted to.

Someone else has summarised it all:
    •Philip Cairns killed by retired garda (PK) who was a former member of the investigation team.

•One of the senior officers on the investigation team later faced 77 charges of indecent assault on 2 children.

•Information received that Philip's remains were buried in the Terenure garden of the former garda Chief Medical Officer (VE), by his son (BE).

• In addition to Philip, two other missing women (Eva Brennan and Claire Boylan) have also been linked to this address.

•And all covered up by Charles Haughey!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155393088219778&set=p.10155393088219778&type=3&theater

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement