Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive in my 30s.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

iguana wrote: »
    I don't just have to look back though. At my height I have to hoist myself quite a bit so I can see the kerb out the rear window. Doing that while keeping one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake and keeping my hands firmly on the wheel is painful. And that's even with the seat pulled further forward than it is when I'm driving. I'm going to try tomorrow with a cushion and see if that makes a difference.

Hi,

Much better and easier car control is to use the accelerator and clutch. Set the gas then use the clutch to regulate the speed. You now have Zero chance of stalling. Using the clutch and brake can be very difficult, especially when under stress. At times you will be driving the car against the brake - brake a tad too hard, or let the clutch up a tiny fraction tto far - the car stalls.

It is OK to steer one-handed, also to remove the seat belt whilst reversing.

It is not compulsory to look out through the back window. It is recommended but not essential. All that is necessary is to compensate, by maintaining adequate observation all around.

Have you tried using the left mirror to check your distance from the kerb ?

Re seat cushion. I used to find the ones that Lidl stocked were excellent. Always kept a few in the car to lend out to the little ones - never got any back BTW.

Advertisement