Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were in charge, what rules would you make?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

rawn wrote: »
    Cool, so rich people never have to go to jail.
    They'd still be punished just not with a jail term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Winterlong wrote: »
    You have to pass an IQ test to vote.

You have to pass an IQ test to breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think I would increase the legal age for alcoholic consumption to 20 and decrease the voting age to 17.

The problem of harmful consumption really has never been dealt with in any meaningful way in Ireland.

Increasing the price won't impact at all unfortunately. More severe punishments for people who participate in anti social behaviour while intoxicated.

what do you mean by more severe punishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

pragmatic1 wrote:
    They'd still be punished just not with a jail term.

Such as?

Such as?
    They would get hit hard where it hurts them most, in the pockets. I'd also have them make very public apologies. Bankers won't see a day of jail as it is anyway. And if by some miracle they do, it'll be a cushy little term in a minimum security holiday camp. A financial penalty would be a much better punishment imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    They would get hit hard where it hurts them most, in the pockets. I'd also have them make very public apologies. Bankers won't see a day of jail as it is anyway. And if by some miracle they do, it'll be a cushy little term in a minimum security holiday camp. A financial penalty would be a much better punishment imo.

jail terms work for fraudulent activities in the financial sector, according to bill black anyway. im not convinced that financial penalties alone work for the financial sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Internet access only for those intelligent enough to use it properly. For example on Facebook lately I have seen a number of nutjobs who seem to believe homeopathy and crystals cures cancer . Sure didnt it say so online .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Imagine :P

I'd have special prisons of hell for anyone who abused an animal.

If the temperature goes above 22 its an automatic national holiday. Down tools and out to enjoy the sunshine.

Everyone would get the day off for their birthday.

Public transport would be free for workers.

Irish would no longer be mandatory for school children.

Free travel at weekends for students who have to move in order to go to college.

Travel fares for people who were forced to emigrate because there was no work here would be paid for out of Enda's expenses, and he can take the bus.

No smoking at bus stops or doorways.

All workplaces would have subsidized crèches and kennels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

pragmatic1 wrote:

So they would essentially pay a fine, issue a phony apology and be done with it? God, the bankers and the elite will love you!! Those too poor to pay will i assume be jailed unless they "find" the money somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Internet access only for those intelligent enough to use it properly. For example on Facebook lately I have seen a number of nutjobs who seem to believe homeopathy and crystals cures cancer . Sure didnt it say so online .

The same tools who post meaningless RIP messages and hope that the deceased is resting with the angles. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Winterlong wrote: »
    You have to pass an IQ test to vote.

You can't fail an IQ test...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

'Shut up', would be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Good point. But lets not tell anyone. Examiners discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

that was actually another test to spot the apologists - to the gulag with ya

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Anyone convicted of white-collar/non-violent crime has to do community service for as long as befits what they did (as well as any fines given to them).

As for those convicted of violent crime, no suspended sentences. You do the crime, you do the time.

Government-subsidised days off for public and private sector workers who want to do volunteer work in their community (1/2 days per annum)

Help with childcare costs (vouchers) & upskilling for parents who want to go back to work.

Annual performance reviews of TDs by their constituents. Anyone who falls below a certain level is subject to a by-election and have to earn back their seat.

More money provided for non-team sports.

Tax incentives to sole traders or companies that contract/partner up with local and national firms rather than outsourcing from abroad.

Text speak would be banned.

And for purely selfish reasons as I live in London - one free return flight a year for expats who want to come home and visit their friends and family (for more than a three day visit)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

All cat owners must buy a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'd like to get a hold of the road people..

Flat state insurance charge. Everyone pays a grand. Seeing as how everyone is paying into a central one anyway, private companies are going bust and leaving the central Irish one to pay their debt by loading onto everyone else......... :mad:

Get rid of the qualified driver passenger CRAP. People drive generally because they're going to work.
    New and Qualified drivers usually have different jobs...

Mandatory lessons can stay though..

Boot the points system. If someone gets their 12 point fill, they're just going to drive without a licence, insurance, tax or NCT unless they're literally jailed which they generally aren't...
    Instead, make the fines MUCH bigger and make the fines work for the state.

Lower old system road tax a little, scrap emissions based tax - it's a lie and once everyone is on the emissions based tax, it's going to have to be as high as the old system anyway....
    But actually put that money onto the bloody roads...

Lower the big engine taxes substantially. The amount of people driving them will generate more tax revenue in the fuel they'll be buying. Bit sneaky but what have you..

Boot the VRT. It's killing the car sales industry and the tax isn't going anywhere useful.

Introduce a "trailer NCT". Twenty quid a year for a cert you can put with your license/in your glovebox or something. And stamp the number on the cert, onto the frame of the trailer if it's not numbered, after it's first test. Only necessary to show if trailer is being towed. But this trailer road tax they're discussing can get stuffed... It's safety, not profit.
    No cert to show, but the trailer looks ok? 50 euro fine.
    No cert and the trailer is crap? No lights, bald tyres, etc? Stick another zero on the fine and if the trailer is bad enough, crush it.
    Trailers are gone to absolute pot. I'm sick of seeing rolling sheds, leaving bits of themselves on the roads...

Just off the top of me noggin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Prima Nocta

Basically this:

Rule no. 1:

And all other rules will be taught to you at training:

Only thing is no one will ever graduate. All of you are worthless maggots. Now sit the f*ck down, shut the f*ck up and SWEAR TO MEEE!!

So they would essentially pay a fine, issue a phony apology and be done with it? God, the bankers and the elite will love you!! Those too poor to pay will i assume be jailed unless they "find" the money somewhere?
    No not pay just a fine, pay back whatever they gained via fraudulent activity, plus extra for an distress caused and a very public apology.

If that means they lose everything then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think I would increase the legal age for alcoholic consumption to 20 and decrease the voting age to 17.
    I would ban alcohol completely. I drink myself, quite a bit, but am used to having to source other recreational drugs illegally so reckon I could cope. It would be great just to make the hypocritical self righteous cunts see what what its like for a change.

I would ban walking on pathways next to roads too. Because pedestrians are annoying and dangerous. Especially in Dublin. Weaving in and out of traffic, going through red lights and moving from path to road when it suits them. I've nearly crashed into illegally crossing pedestrians more times than I can count at this stage!

Again mainly just to irritate the pathetic self righteous hypocritical cunts out there

Fines should be based on a % of income, some fines are in some countries already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Send David Drumm and his cronies to the Gulag
    Refund everyone who has paid the Quinn Insurance Levy and the Michael O'Leary volcanic ash levy.
    Make all prisoners serve their full sentence with time added on for bad behaviour instead of time taken off for good behaviour.
    Make all fathers financially responsible for their offsprings. If you bring a child into this world the least you can do is to make sure that the mother/State are not the ones to pay for your child to be reared.
    Put a ban on RTE using the same presenters ad nauseum.
    Ban all Christmas ads/shopping/music until after 8th December
    Give everyone 6 bonus days off work to be taken whenever you like
    And finally..... take the cars keys from every gobsh1te that parks like this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Everyone gets free pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

jamesbere wrote: »
    Everyone gets free pie.

I'm interested, what type of pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

People who microwave sausages; gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Anybody advocating minimum sentencing laws gets minimum 2 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

We are very quickly running out of space in the gulags. I propose we use the isle of man that we invaded and turn it into a massive gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Neuter all scumbags and hefty prison sentence for first offence on a floating ship mid atlantic with food dropped once a week :) It could be called "the great scumbag cull" that also includes traveling Nomads who think they are above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Harsher punishments for parole violators.

• Advertisement

I would begin a process of demolition in Dublin, demolishing our ugliest buildings.

The Central Bank
    Hawkins House... apparently it has a penthouse flat, complete with an avocado bathroom suite and florid wallpaper.
    Apollo House... Durrty
    The Screen Cinema Got wanked-off to Kill-Bill in there. Might save it for nostalgic reasons.
    Phibsboro Shopping Centre... why can't Northsiders have nice things?

Advertisement