Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were in charge, what rules would you make?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

rubadub wrote: »
    there are reusable alternatives to sanitary pads, washable ones and cup devices.

The shaving thing is more fashion. There was a recent thread about women wearing high heels at work, some making out like women were being forced to do so by men or for their benefit. But almost invariably when I hear women asked if they wear high heels, makeup, or shave their legs for the benefit of men or to attract men they almost always say no way in hell, they do it "for themselves" or to impress other women, making it very clear they do not give a damn what men think -some will admit otherwise of course.

In the (also ludicrous) free food example most organisations say men require 500kcal more per day than women, so would have to be subsidised in that way if there was "free food".

If you want to talk about the clean up after involuntary bodily emissions then if there are free sanitary towels there should similarly be allowances for semen emission, involuntary "nocturnal emmissions" so give them money for new sheets or washing powder, dry cleaning or some male sanitary towel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnal_emission

Take yourself off to the Gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Women get paid to Breastfeed in public places, so it becomes normal in the mind of every member of society that this is the healthiest way to nourish your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

Invade Iceland

That's an idea I've had for years. The plan is to send some of our drunken feuding native ethnic minority families as a landing party and once the locals flee the chaos put the office of public works in charge of that unpronounceable volcano that was erupting a few years ago. The place would be wrecked in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Guillotine for anyone over the age of 12 who uses text speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

16. People ruining lighthearted threads by taking them too seriously shall be forced to participate in a Hunger Games-esque debate to the death where both sides are actually arguing the same point but just haven't been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd nuke everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Ormus wrote: »
    A special driving licence allowing one to drive having consumed up to 5 alcoholic drinks if one can pass a special stringent driving test (conducted offroad at a special training centre) having consumed 10 alcoholic drinks (under supervision).

Loads of people have probably responded to this already but had to weigh in.

I hope you are never in charge cos that's a terrible rule! You might be fine on 5 drinks one day cos you had a hearty dinner but you could drink 2 drinks another day and be worse off but think "ah sure I was grand with 5, 2 is nothing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

noise pollution within earshot of a sleeping/resting/ill/headached person will get you a large fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Huh. You're right.

I thought I'd try on a feminist hat. One where perspective is missing. Didn't like it.

Instead, can we remove the "luxury item" tax on tampons, pads, etc?

In my world, everyone would get a free book on their birthday. And three day weekends, your choice of the Friday or the Monday off, on the agreement you work an extra hour each of the four remaining days (ie 8-5 or 9-6, or however applicable.)

Repeal the law on Good Friday alcohol sales.

Allow Off-Licences to open until pub closing times.

People who park over two spaces will be chained to their car and made to wear a dunce hat for 3 hours.

Not using an indicator - 2 points on your licence each time the linker flashes.

4 day working week

TV Licence fee only payable if you actually watch Irish channels.

Religion and Irish to become optional subjects at school, not mandatory. Replace them with useful subjects instead.

FTFY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Instead, can we remove the "luxury item" tax on tampons, pads, etc?

You mean the current zero rate of tax?

RayM wrote: »
    If I was in charge, I'd force everyone who complains about social welfare to live on it for a year.

See also: everyone is required to take a mandatory year working in customer service/retail. It looks different from the other side of the counter, let me tell you.

Zaph wrote: »
    You mean the current zero rate of tax?

Obviously not enforced in Ireland so, my apologies. I live in the UK at the moment and it's a strong debate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

1 - If you're on the dole and able bodied, then you shall give 20hrs p/w to charitable/community causes. Rubbish, granny visitation, lollipopping, etc. (because, face it, you do not spend anything like 20, let alone 40 hours a week looking for a new job)

2 - Increase the drink drive limit to whatever blood alcohol level 2 pints is for the average height, average build person.

3 - Increase the working week for all public sector employees to 45hrs.

4 - Everyone should resit their driving test every 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'd ban all imports from China just to see what would happen

Either people will be very quick off the mark in producing at home whatever comes from there or else they'll just sit there and moan endlessly about how they're not able to get the latest Huawei or iPhone. I'm hoping the former, though it's a long shot.

Repopulate the Blaskets with Syrian refugees, supply them with building materials so they rebuild all the old houses and return the blaskets to their glory days

Build a massive theme park filled to the brim with rollercoasters.

Remove the insurance industry's grip on power and get rid of the ridiculous 3rd party injury claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Proper separation of church and state.

No religious schools.

No changing local customs to suit the precious snowflakes who get offended if we don't - integrate or f*ck off home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Proper separation of church and state.

No religious schools.

No changing local customs to suit the precious snowflakes who get offended if we don't - integrate or f*ck off home!!

I thought we sent cowboy builders to the gulag? Or did someone close it. If they did I'm opening it again and putting people who text when eating a meal with someone in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'd ban GAA

we should be concentrating on international sports, not that insular parochial muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

CruelCoin wrote: »
    1 - If you're on the dole and able bodied, then you shall give 20hrs p/w to charitable/community causes. Rubbish, granny visitation, lollipopping, etc. (because, face it, you do not spend anything like 20, let alone 40 hours a week looking for a new job)

2 - Increase the drink drive limit to whatever blood alcohol level 2 pints is for the average height, average build person.

3 - Increase the working week for all public sector employees to 45hrs.

4 - Everyone should resit their driving test every 10 years.

There is a fair percentage of people on the dole I wouldn't want anywhere near minding granny territory tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Mandatory prison sentence for those after a second violent crime committed. No jail time for silly TV licence type offenses.

All politicians elected to work on national and general politics and councillors to handle individual pothole complaints. The attendance in Leinster house is poor to say the least.

Pay nurses what they're fleeing to the UK for. Pay for it by cutting the ludicrous percentage of admin staff in the hse.

Make broadband a basic right like Finland. It might be a loss leader but it's the same as An Post driving miles out of the way to deliver a postcard. People shouldn't be economically disadvantaged because there's no commercial interest for a private company to connect 1 house in rural areas.

Stop making Irish mandatory so that someone who can't get an A1 in it is hindered from entering medicine or other top courses that require near perfect points.

Stop privatising everything like the NCT and speed cameras that end up being profit driven rather than safety driven. We're too quick to sell off our assets for short term gain and usually short change ourselves.

A ban on upward only rent reviews.

I could go on and on. I really can see why so many people emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

One off rural housing to be banned

mansize wrote: »
    One off rural housing to be banned

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Repopulate the Blaskets with Syrian refugees, supply them with building materials so they rebuild all the old houses and return the blaskets to their glory days

The Blaskets??!! Do you not think those poor people have suffered enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Zaph wrote: »
    - There will be a bounty placed on the heads of Daithí Ó Sé, Gay Byrne, Ryan Tubridy, Ray D'Arcy and Hector. I don't mind if nobody catches/kills them, but at least it'll keep them off the airwaves when they go into hiding.

By far the best rule suggested so far, make it happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Every single person that has said that ireland needs refugees gets to keep and pay for them..... in their own house. All those doctors and engineers may even contribute to the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

17. "Graduations" from creches/montessoris/anything other than college will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

From a perspective of pure interest i'd ban alcohol and all recreational drugs ...ensure there would be zero access to either

I'd absolutely love to see what would happen...not that id realistically want to restrict people...but I imagine that the behaviour would be something to behold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Work camps for vegans

Work camps for scumbags, scangers, etc

So you're comparing vegans to scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If I was in charge I'd ban people getting tattoos on their faces and send anyone with a top-knot straight to the barbers to get a real haircut

I'd also ban anyone that serves drinks in jars from running a bar or restaurant

I'd also send anyone that suggests that TDs are overpaid to a "re-education centre"

I'd also reform the civil and public service as it is the most inefficient organisation in the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Deedsie wrote: »
    Reduce the alcohol % allowed to drive to zero.

I'd be in favour of a lot of public shaming. Photos of people who fly tip, litter, drink on the streets, violent assaults etc on billboards, newspapers etc

I'd make recycling centres open 24 hours a day and I'd tax shopping centres, off licences and take aways etc to pay for it.

I'd settle for reasonable sentencing for repeat offenders.

They already pay tax for recycling\ waste management, it's called Business Rates and if they are in Dublin City Centre, the BIDS levy as well

Advertisement