Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Turn down Evans and turn up Le Blanc.

Don't think I will get past Evans annoying,overbearing voice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

kneemos wrote: »
    Turn down Evans and turn up Le Blanc.

Don't think I will get past Evans annoying,overbearing voice though.

Evans is annoying me. Matt is brilliant and very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Underwhelming but I'll stick with it. Weird combination of presenters.
    Evans(who I don't actually mind) is good in front of the camera, comes across very natural, if a little hyper. His voice overs though we're grating and the OB sections didn't really suit him.

Le Blanc is terrible in front of the camera, reading the auto cue he comes across very wooden which makes for uncomfortable viewing but is more natural in the VT segments. They suit him better.

That's a major problem. There's no chemistry between them and both are weak in one half of the programmes content. If the producers decided in scaling three down to two they should have been pretty sure they had a good pairing. It feels very awkward and three presenters would have given them more wiggle room and been more forgiving.

On the plus side the new track with a bit of off road is good, as is a rally grade? Mini.

A lot to iron out and it remains to be seen if it can be but I'll stick with it for now. Were always going to be huge shoes to fill but as I said an underwhelming start.

The show had started to wane on the last few seasons as it was. Although always scripted, it felt even more so in the last few seasons and you did feel the lads were dialling it in.

Who knows, the whole format may have ran its course. I had certainly lost a lot of interest in the show long before Clarkson finally got the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I'll hold judgement on the show as a whole until I've seen a couple more episodes.

But Evans is a twat. That I'm sure about. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

will this be on rteplayer??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im wondering would eddie jordan be a better main presenter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they attempted it but binned it. The rapport isn't there for something like that.

"Abyssmal at best!!!" Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

The nomad piece was brilliant. Better than a lot of the equivalent stuff under Clarkson & co.

Let Blanc is good in this I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im wondering would eddie jordan be a better main presenter?

The fact he is not on Sky F1 says enough for me on Eddie, stick to the drumming is my advice for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

5/10

If they can get it to a consistent 7, with the odd 8, I'll keep watching.

The voiceovers were probably the worst bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Not the worst start, could do better , I'll watch next week , unlike the 5 minute reviewers that turned off .

Ardent wrote: »
    The nomad piece was brilliant. Better than a lot of the equivalent stuff under Clarkson & co.

Let Blanc is good in this I have to say.

100% agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

To be honest I have no sympathy or respect for people who whinge and turn off after five minutes. So that article linked there last page can go die in a hole.

Top Gear has changed a lot, people are going to have their little cry about it and the loud minority are going to throw out their toys and start wailing.

Was it great? No. Was it bad? Maybe. Did I like it? I don't know. That's my reaction to it, parts of it felt like it could work and parts felt way too forced. That's pretty much what happens though every time a new presenting team take over, any F1 fans should know this from the sort of wooden start to the BBC and then Sky Sports coverage. I unlike the children in that article will give them a few episodes to click together and if they don't I'll just stop watching rather than making a scene over it.

To be honest the only real thing that needs to happen is Evans needs to be a less "oh crowd not clapping, I need to be funny" sort of presenter. If the crowd isn't clapping they aren't clapping (though this might be down to them being like the people in the article). Also Evans tried emulating Clarkson a few times but it just didn't work, hopefully he'll just be himself in the future when people move on from "muh Clarkson!" and realise he's not coming back. Le Blanc honestly could be very good but like many new presenters he needs time to get comfortable and get confident, time I'm willing to give.

Did it beat the old Top Gear? Of course not but people expecting that first time out were always going to be disappointed when the trio before had years of history together and were very comfortable in themselves on screen.

What is the massive shame to me though is this Top Gear Extra or whatever it's called. Why not just have them on the main show? Why are they trying to create this extra show as if it's some talent/reality TV show?

the whole brits vs yanks thing is lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Deub

I have mixed feelings on it. I will watch it again next week to see if they improved.
    They didn't seem natural and it was missing a bit of punch. Maybe the next episodes will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

No chemistry at all, Evans shouts and LeBlanc is too nervous. Not a great start but fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

I enjoyed it.. The first 10 minutes were a bit overbearing.. I mainly watch top gear for nice cars with beautiful cinematography and I was happy enough with tonight's showing.. The nomad section was definitely the strongest

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

adox wrote:
    That's a major problem. There's no chemistry between them and both are weak in one half of the programmes content. If the producers decided in scaling three down to two they should have been pretty sure they had a good pairing. It feels very awkward and three presenters would have given them more wiggle room and been more forgiving.

The chemistry might develop if you take into account this is the start. Also the show just highlighted how much an arrogant overbearing p that clarkson was.

It turns out that the show actually is about cars and not his ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Strange episode. A bit like 2002 all over again. It's a bit wooden and stilted at times, only time will tell if it improves, but if you look at TG from the 90's or early shows in the last series then it's not too different.

Some things don't work: Matt was awkward at times but the Nomad review was very good, maybe he'd prefer to just do guest reviews.

The Landie v Willys was fine but overly scripted, they didn't look like they were enjoying it all the time.

SIARPC was a bit odd, seemed rushed and constantly cutting back to the studio doesn't work, I like the new track though.

Overall it wasn't the best first episode, I'd say most people who claimed to switch it off and never watch it again are talking rubbish.

I always thought Clarkson should have been suspended for 6 months for punching your man, and not be sacked, but they are where they are now.

I'll look forward to the Amazon series as well, I suppose I just look on it that two car shows are better than one.

Top Gear itself will have to wait for the end of the second series to see if it has a future in the present format, but Evans needs to massively up his game. They were on a bit of a lost cause as certain people refuse to accept the old crew are gone and no matter how good it was it was always going to be trashed by them.

To be honest the only real thing that needs to happen is Evans needs to be a less "oh crowd not clapping, I need to be funny" sort of presenter. If the crowd isn't clapping they aren't clapping (though this might be down to them being like the people in the article). Also Evans tried emulating Clarkson a few times but it just didn't work, hopefully he'll just be himself in the future when people move on from "muh Clarkson!" and realise he's not coming back. Le Blanc honestly could be very good but like many new presenters he needs time to get comfortable and get confident, time I'm willing to give.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Terrible start but I enjoyed it after the first 10 minutes.

I like Matt in this. Evans too hyper and, maybe because he's on radio, thinks he has to talk all the time.

He needs work but he's supposed to be the main guy.

I'll watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Anti-Racist Token Ethnic Guy (One tonne of Indians)
    Pro-Feminist (German woman Racer)
    Pro-LGBT, Drag Queens near the end

Congratulations BBC you got your Politically correct liberal Top Gear, it has been destroyed and I won't watch it anymore. I'll stick with Clarkson & Co. on Amazon when they launch, they can have a bit of natural fun without pushing the liberal agenda down my throat on what was a fun TV show about car and a few lads having the craic. It was everything I expected the BBC would do to destroy it. And Gordon Ramsay? Could you ask for a more dislikeable person to put on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Didn't enjoy it, was like the boozer you drank in for 20 years been taken over by Rachel & Steve/Steve and Rachel and they completely try too hard to replicate the previous owners and destroy the pub in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭gifted

I turned it off...had a moment where I thought I was gonna shed a tear. .....just not right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

I enjoyed it on the whole. It was a little awkward in places, but perfectly understandable given their first ever performance.

If Evans can tone it down a bit, the signs are it'll at least be on par with what went before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm shocked that they have changed almost nothing in the basic formula as it means they've been terribly lazy and will get pelters for it.

That said I do like Matt Le Blanc (who before Episodes I had never watched in anything) and it grew on me somewhat but they really should have ditched the studio segments as that doesn't really work at all though to be fair, it took Clarkson and Co about 4 years before they really found their groove and started to hone it fully.

PS Deep Purple's accountant should be quite happy.

PPS I copied this over from the TG forum thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Just doesn't cut it and left me feeling underwhelmed by the experience. Its not a show you rush home to watch

Advertisement