Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Liked the nomad piece with Matt.

Did not like the star in rally car segment. Mainly because of Evans screeching over it but also the lap looks boring.

I really dislike Evans.

Maybe a segment with Sabine and Matt could work but i wont get my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Chris Harris, Sabine Schmitz and Matt le Blanc would be the ideal 3 presenters for this show. Evans ruined that episode entirely. I can't see it getting much better with him staying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I think Matt should have been the main man. He was great... and I think I'm kind of missing the banter of having 3 ppl??? Or maybe just 2 will be fine. I will watch it again.

Must say I love the idea og the new star in a rally car. That was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Worked for me.

It would've been daft if they deviated far from the format that clearly works.

Noted 3 digs at the previous hosts

• Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Nomad photo challenge and Corvette V Viper target lock were pretty much the same challenge, why did they show them both on the same show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Had it recorded so am watching it now, absolutely shocking start but Matt seems to keep it together. Going by what I read on Twitter, i was expecting much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

3 episode rule , same for all tv shows. If its bad after that it probably will not improve.

Matt seems better suited to the show. Evans is kinda shouty and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Maybe a segment with Sabine and Matt could work but i wont get my hopes up.

Germany V USA now that's the way Clarkson would do it!!

I don't know why some people would think they'd change the format. This show sells in a couple hundred countries, or something like that, I don't think the beeb want to rock that particular boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Joeface wrote: »
    3 episode rule , same for all tv shows. If its bad after that it probably will not improve.

Matt seems better suited to the show. Evans is kinda shouty and annoying.

What if it's only three episodes long? :) (I agree in principle)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Anti-Racist Token Ethnic Guy (One tonne of Indians)
    Pro-Feminist (German woman Racer)
    Pro-LGBT, Drag Queens near the end

Congratulations BBC you got your Politically correct liberal Top Gear, it has been destroyed and I won't watch it anymore. I'll stick with Clarkson & Co. on Amazon when they launch, they can have a bit of natural fun without pushing the liberal agenda down my throat on what was a fun TV show about car and a few lads having the craic. It was everything I expected the BBC would do to destroy it. And Gordon Ramsay? Could you ask for a more dislikeable person to put on TV?

Jeremy Clarkson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder how much did RTÉ blow paying to show it 30 minutes after it begins on BBC and with the addition of 2 annoying ad breaks? Why would anyone watch it on RTÉ2?

Anti-Racist Token Ethnic Guy (One tonne of Indians)
    Pro-Feminist (German woman Racer)
    Pro-LGBT, Drag Queens near the end

Congratulations BBC you got your Politically correct liberal Top Gear, it has been destroyed and I won't watch it anymore. I'll stick with Clarkson & Co. on Amazon when they launch, they can have a bit of natural fun without pushing the liberal agenda down my throat on what was a fun TV show about car and a few lads having the craic. It was everything I expected the BBC would do to destroy it. And Gordon Ramsay? Could you ask for a more dislikeable person to put on TV?

Post modern irony not your bag then? or possibly you're reading too much into it. Sabine Schmitz has been long linked with TG going back to kicking Clarkson's backside round the Nurburgring, the drag act was part of a play on words

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wonder how much did RTÉ blow paying to show it 30 minutes after it begins on BBC and with the addition of 2 annoying ad breaks? Why would anyone watch it on RTÉ2?

Everybody in RTE lives in 1953,nobody has remote controls or even more than two channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Le Blanc compared something to "your mothers g string",WTF does that mean...Fake camaraderie,high fives and Americanisms,wont be watching that sh1t again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

fran17 wrote: »
    Le Blanc compared something to "your mothers g string",WTF does that mean...Fake camaraderie,high fives and Americanisms,wont be watching that sh1t again.

Yeah, a big let down compared to Jeremy Clarkson's Wildean wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Seems like most people made their minds up on this before they even watched the show. As someone who wouldn't really have a lot of time for either Evans or Le Blanc, I thought the show tonight was alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

AND with ads on RTE. RTE haven't a f€ckin clue. Correction - they have a clue but don't care.

There may be a handful of viewers who are interested in Top Gear and can't see it by any means other than RTE. I'd say they're few and far between.

People pay a license fee for them to p1ss away like this. It's a joke.

fran17 wrote: »

He said the off-roader was a light as your mothers G-string but I'm not justifying it.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    You must be reading a different thread.

I said "maybe" in the poll. It's a definite "No" now, having seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I watch it on RTE. support the local team. Fast forward the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I thought it was good. Chris is entertaining but I'm not sure about Matt. He just seems a bit out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The previous incarnation became stale and a bit of a piss up for the 3 presenters with Richard Hammond becoming insufferable to watch. That took ten years to happen though!

Taking the same format and then putting a guy known for his control freakery in charge doesn't work. Evans is like 'why aren't the audience responding like they used to do' and so ends up reportedly screaming at the audience for more energy when recording the show - we see him shouting at the audience to respond on camera so gawd only knows what he was really like behind the scenes.

Matt LeBlanc is almost too laid back but that could work as an alternative to the pumped up Evans or whoever it might have been. Sort of like an American James May... just cooler.

Guaranteed Evans will bitch and moan when the bad reviews come in. Most will be about him but no doubt he'll spread the blame and say 'everyone on the team has to knuckle down for the next few shows' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Has this whole season been made, would be handy for the producers to change a few bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I was a massive fan of old Top Gear.

Not a fan of Evans, Just an annoying shouty voice.

Nomad piece with Le Blanc was great, I like him.
    Rally across is good too, Bit cringey when they read out the other guys current activities.

Jeep/Land Rover event was just a bit **** to start, Towing the Reliants was okay.

Was O K.

Will see what next week is like.

TopGear as we know it was Clarkson, Hammond and May....
    Keeping the same theme tune, similar set etc... Was a bad idea. Should have completely revamped the show and gave it a new name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

ted1 wrote: »
    I watch it on RTE. support the local team. Fast forward the ads

Fast forward the ads? How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I actually stopped watching Top Gear a few seasons ago because it had become stale, and it seems they picked up exactly where the other lads had left off so I can't see a reason to resume watching it.

Just in regards to this episode, it seemed over reliant on challenges but perhaps it would not always be the case.
    Evans seemed to be forcing it a bit which was in line with expectations, Matt on the other hand wasn't forcing himself into the shoes of the previous characters and seemed to come off well for that reason.

Star in a reasonably priced car is a segment well past its sell by date.

I may watch another episode to see Chris Harris.
    Maybe the next season will be better, assuming they have the balls to evolve the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fast forward the ads? How does that work?

Have a few beers out back, come in when it's dark or cold and then press play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Richard Hammond. I had low expectations, but even then it was disappointing. When it wasn't forced and cringey it was boring. Old Top Gear was a lot of things but I never found to boring.

The only redeeming piece was the Ariel Nomad and that was down to the car rather than the presenting. There were no new ideas, just rehashes of old ones. The only one in the whole show with any charisma was the Mayor of Blackpool. If the rest of the series is as bad as this then I hope they just put it out of its misery.

• Advertisement

Judging by the reaction on twitter, I'd be surprised if this series reached its 6th episode, unless they've all been recorded already.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TopGear&src=tyah&lang=en

Advertisement