Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 Semi-Final 2: Connacht vs Glasgow, Galway 21 May 18.30. Live Sky, TG4, BBC Alba

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dan McFarland and Dan Parks
    Adbrowne wrote: »
    If they believe in what they put out in the initiative for the next 5 years then they need to stop seeing themselves as the poor relation.

It's obvious that this notion of them being the poor relation and the "us vs them" attitude is being fostered this season for a reason, and it's working.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of how international players impact a team have a look at how many players Leinster were missing 2-3 months at the start of the season and over the 6 Nations. How many internationals were they playing with in August, September, October? Same for Glasgow, same for Ulster, same for Munster.

Let me just be clear here... I am delighted for Connacht, they've been a pleasure to watch this year, I pretty much want them to win next week, I hope it's not a one off and they can carry on next season. But I will be interested to see how things pan out when the other Provinces and teams have a full preseason with their players and have a full squad to select from from week 1.

Is there an actual quote from Lam anywhere?

Like, I know I'm outraged, I'm just not sure why.

Also need to find the right pitch of shrill indignation. Should I leave it at Alan Quinlan or go full Ferris?

It was in the post match interview on TG4. He mentioned something about Leinster being favourites and then said they're basically playing Ireland next week.

I'm not outraged about it. I just think that notion is wearing a bit thin at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Glasgow
    It was in the post match interview on TG4. He mentioned something about Leinster being favourites and then said they're basically playing Ireland next week.

I'm not outraged about it. I just think that notion is wearing a bit thin at this point.

Ah yeah I'm only messing, I agree he's been banging this drum a bit too much.

Ah yeah I'm only messing, I agree he's been banging this drum a bit too much.

That is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Glasgow
    We're not the poor relation anymore, neither are Leinster-Ireland yet.

Glasgow games were 50/50, this is 60/40. We've a full 23 unavailable, including Buckley. Leinster may have Teo'o and Isa absent added to SOB. They're favourite. Accept your status guys

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    We're not the poor relation anymore, neither are Leinster-Ireland yet.

Glasgow games were 50/50, this is 60/40. We've a full 23 unavailable, including Buckley. Leinster may have Teo'o and Isa absent added to SOB. They're favourite. Accept your status guys

Nobody is denying Leinster are favourites.

I'm denying that Connacht are playing Ireland next week.

p.s. Munster are clearly the poor relation now ;)

Glasgow
    14 Irish + 3 Southern hem + Ringrose who should be in S.A, that's 18 out of 23 with high international level in Leinster. Lam is basically right. He omits to point out the Connacht international, the 3 other in the making + our own + Southern hemisphere gems. But it's still 7 vs 18.
    Hopefully rugby is not just individualities, but a team-build sport, and Connacht team has huge confidence

Glasgow
    14 Irish + 3 Southern hem + Ringrose who should be in S.A, that's 18 out of 23 with high international level in Leinster. Lam is basically right. He omits to point out the Connacht international, the 3 others in the making + our own Southern hemisphere gems. But it's still 7 vs 18.
    Hopefully rugby is not just individualities, but a team-build sport, and Connacht team has huge confidence

14 Irish + 3 Southern hem + Ringrose who should be in S.A, that's 18 out of 23 with high international level in Leinster. Lam is basically right. He omits to point out the Connacht international, the 3 other in the making + our own + Southern hemisphere gems. But it's still 7 vs 18.

Unless Leinster field 18 players, some of them in the same position, it's not.

Leinster have more players that are usually involved with Ireland. That's a fact.

The default Ireland side at the moment does not include all of these players. That is also a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Glasgow
    Repetitive muck if you don't like what Lam says don't watch the interviews.

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Repetitive muck if you don't like what Lam says don't watch the interviews.

How can I know if I like what he says if I don't watch them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Cullen, Foley, Kiss, Schmidt etc hardly veer much from their scripts week to week. Complaining for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Unless Leinster field 18 players, some of them in the same position, it's not.

Leinster have more players that are usually involved with Ireland. That's a fact.

The default Ireland side at the moment does not include all of these players. That is also a fact.

Just to put some context on what the Ireland comment, it was tongue in cheek and you can see that by the way he said it.

He did not literally mean all XV are Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Right, any more mountains to be made from molehills?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

What Lam said was basically this... we won the coin toss, so we've the home dressing room. We're Scotland playing ireland in murrayfield. Tongue firmly in cheek boys

Paraphrased but that's all.

Back to.the match, I'll watch it again shortly. Everyone of them deserve a new watch for player of the month. Everything was left out on the pitch and you can't ask for more. So proud

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Glasgow
    He's been in Ireland since he was about 15, hasn't he? Can't see why he wouldn't be eligible.

I think he was 7 or something when he moved over.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think he was 7 or something when he moved over.

I looked it up this morning, he was 10 when they moved over, 25 now. Think that's where I was getting the 15 from.

Either way he'd be eligible to play for Ireland now, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Glasgow
    I looked it up this morning, he was 10 when they moved over, 25 now. Think that's where I was getting the 15 from.

Either way he'd be eligible to play for Ireland now, right?

Yep. In all likelihood he's an Irish citzen, and even if he wasn't he would have been eligible from the age of 21 through residency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

https://twitter.com/Rossgarvey/status/734430751119298561

Print media (the purest of all news sources) confirms earlier speculation that nearly 4000 more punters witnessed Niyi clearouts than were present to see Hulk Hogan slam Andre the Giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bundee Aki. Just. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Mrreliable

its_phil wrote: »
    Just to put some context on what the Ireland comment, it was tongue in cheek and you can see that by the way he said it.

He did not literally mean all XV are Ireland.

I agree. Lam likes to have fun with the Media

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pat Lam makes me laugh with his constant mentions of how many internationals are in the other sides. I know why he does it but it's wearing a bit thin. Talking about the final he said "we're basically playing Ireland next week".

Looking at the 6 Nations Sexton was the only Leinster back to play regularly in the 15. There were a varying number in the forwards but never more than 4 or 5.

Professional team coach in bigging up the opposition shocker!

Opposition fan in over reaction shocker!

It's obvious that this notion of them being the poor relation and the "us vs them" attitude is being fostered this season for a reason, and it's working.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of how international players impact a team have a look at how many players Leinster were missing 2-3 months at the start of the season and over the 6 Nations. How many internationals were they playing with in August, September, October? Same for Glasgow, same for Ulster, same for Munster.

Let me just be clear here... I am delighted for Connacht, they've been a pleasure to watch this year, I pretty much want them to win next week, I hope it's not a one off and they can carry on next season. But I will be interested to see how things pan out when the other Provinces and teams have a full preseason with their players and have a full squad to select from from week 1.

I will be interested to see how things pan out when everything is equal - full preseasons, etc. and the unimportant things, like IRFU funding... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Glasgow
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Professional team coach in bigging up the opposition shocker!

Opposition fan in over reaction shocker!

I will be interested to see how things pan out when everything is equal - full preseasons, etc. and the unimportant things, like IRFU funding... ;)

And Dennis O'Brien

Obviously things aren't equal. My point was that if we're going to talk about how much better the other provinces are because they've got x number of internationals then we also need to talk about the disadvantages that has led to this season, disadvantages Connacht were mostly able to avoid.

Also, I didn't over react to anything. I said it was starting to get on my nerves. If anything the reaction to my reaction has been the overreaction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Obviously things aren't equal. My point was that if we're going to talk about how much better the other provinces are because they've got x number of internationals then we also need to talk about the disadvantages that has led to this season, disadvantages Connacht were mostly able to avoid.

Also, I didn't over react to anything. I said it was starting to get on my nerves. If anything the reaction to my reaction has been the overreaction.

If an opposition coach giving a cliched sound bite to big up the other team and reduce the pressure on his own gets on your nerves so much you should probably not listen to any coaches interviews... ever. Or are you just annoyed because it might work? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If an opposition coach giving a cliched sound bite to big up the other team and reduce the pressure on his own gets on your nerves so much you should probably not listen to any coaches interviews... ever. Or are you just annoyed because it might work? ;)

I'm sure if Leo was constantly saying that Connacht were made up of former Leinster players who want to get one over on their former province you'd see a few Connacht fans getting a little perturbed by it.

I get where TME is coming from. It doesn't really bother me personally but I can see the point. Connacht have been at the top end of the Pro12 table for some time now and have had a bloody good season. Playing David to Leinsters Goliath after the season they've had is pretty shrewd, but also a bit disingenuous. They just beat Glasgow twice in a row after all. That a few here have made TMEs point out to be something completely different to what it was has ensured this has grown legs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Glasgow
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bundee Aki. Just. Wow.

Any more word on his injury?
    That lad would play on one foot. What a smasher.
    Counting down the day's until he plays for Ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any more word on his injury?
    That lad would play on one foot. What a smasher.
    Counting down the day's until he plays for Ireland.....

So how many days are left until he is Irish qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Glasgow
    So how many days are left until he is Irish qualified

.....Nov 2017
    No fixtures arranged yet

• Advertisement

This is the last thing I'm going to say on this....

Here is my original post.
    Pat Lam makes me laugh with his constant mentions of how many internationals are in the other sides. I know why he does it but it's wearing a bit thin. Talking about the final he said "we're basically playing Ireland next week".

Looking at the 6 Nations Sexton was the only Leinster back to play regularly in the 15. There were a varying number in the forwards but never more than 4 or 5.

I said he makes me laugh, and his shtick is wearing a bit thin. That's all.

What followed was a series of posts 1)overreacting to what I said 2)vehemently defending Pat Lam with STATS!! and 3)basically accusing me of being a put out die hard Leinster fan. (despite the number of times I've literally said I'll probably be leaning toward Connacht, support wise, next week)

I did get into some discussion about the relevance of internationals and what the definition of an international is, how Connacht actually benefited from not having to send 20 odd players off to the WC/6N etc. etc. I engaged in this conversation because others kept bringing it up as part of their defence case for Mr. Lam. For me it had nothing to do with my original post that Lam's soundbites are getting stale.

So, there you are.... not annoyed, not afraid of Connacht winning, not a "D4 LET'S SHUT CONNACHT DOWN!!!" Trevor Francis Jamie Heaslip" sort of person. I simply find that particular cliche of Lam's has run it's course. THE END.

Advertisement