Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 Semi-Final 2: Connacht vs Glasgow, Galway 21 May 18.30. Live Sky, TG4, BBC Alba

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Glasgow
    Saba's first pro 12 match may be the final. Ha can step up, he's Georgian!

Glasgow
    Finlay:D:O:woot:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

there is no comparison

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There wont be a cow milked .......

There wasn't! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Hagz wrote: »
    I have a feeling Lam subbed off Aki thinking the try wrapped up the game.

Suspicions confirmed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dan McFarland and Dan Parks
    https://twitter.com/GlasgowWarriors/status/734131032065183745

Hope he's okay, looked pretty bad when he was being taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I had to go to no fewer than 6 pubs in the Dame Street area this evening to find this match. Absolutely shameful that places like Thomas Reid's (now The Ivy), The Oak, Brogan's, Peadar Kearney's and The Mercantile all were only showing the FA Cup final. Guinness need to do something about that!! After trekking around in the rain I finally caught the second half in a place called Wood's on Dame Lane. Heroic defensive stand to see the game out, and great organisation in the Connacht defence to know exactly where to rush defenders to choke the Glasgow attacks. Genuinely delighted no matter who win's the final. A statement made by Irish rugby tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Is that the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Is that the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed?

Sounds like you enjoyed it ...

• Advertisement

Pat Lam makes me laugh with his constant mentions of how many internationals are in the other sides. I know why he does it but it's wearing a bit thin. Talking about the final he said "we're basically playing Ireland next week".

Looking at the 6 Nations Sexton was the only Leinster back to play regularly in the 15. There were a varying number in the forwards but never more than 4 or 5.

Glasgow
    Oh come on, You're gonna say Connacht has a more famous team? Lam's right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

connachta wrote: »
    Oh come on, You're gonna say Connacht has a more famous team?

How on earth did you impart that from what was posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Pat Lam makes me laugh with his constant mentions of how many internationals are in the other sides. I know why he does it but it's wearing a bit thin. Talking about the final he said "we're basically playing Ireland next week".

Looking at the 6 Nations Sexton was the only Leinster back to play regularly in the 15. There were a varying number in the forwards but never more than 4 or 5.

He's been doing it since his first day on the job and it's not like he's wrong. One international gets injured for Leinster another international replaces him. It's a compliment to Leinster for developing those quality resources.

Pat Lam makes me laugh with his constant mentions of how many internationals are in the other sides. I know why he does it but it's wearing a bit thin. Talking about the final he said "we're basically playing next week".

He's playing the game and it works. Name checks all the counties, talking about the west repeatedly. Building a siege mentality. If the players and fans buy into it, then it's worth doing regardless of validity.

Glasgow
    McGrath = international
    Cronin/Strauss = international
    Ross/Furlong = international
    Toner = international
    VdF/Murphy = international
    Ruddock = international
    Heaslip = international
    Reddan = international
    Sexton = international
    Rob K = international
    Fitz = international
    Ringrose = about to be international
    Teo'o Kirchner Nacewa = would be international or close to be if they were playing in their country

Oh come on, You're gonna say Connacht has a more famous team? Lam's right

We're not talking about who has more household names in their team. Leinster have a lot of players who make the Irish squad but the fact of the matter is that they no longer make up the bulk of the Irish squad.
    its_phil wrote: »
    He's been doing it since his first day on the job and it's not like he's wrong. One international gets injured for Leinster another international replaces him. It's a compliment to Leinster for developing those quality resources.

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just saying it's irrelevant. As I said, I know why he does it, and I know that it works for them, I'm just finding it's wearing a bit thin lately hearing him repeat it over and over.

McGrath = international
    Toner = international
    Ruddock = international
    Heaslip = international
    Reddan = international
    Sexton = international
    Rob K = international
    Fitz = international
    Teo'o Kirchner Nacewa = would be international or close to be if they were playing in their country

International caps in Ireland mean the square root of f*ck all.

Ronan Loughney, Rodney Ah You, Finlay Bealham, Muldoon, Ultan Dillane...all internationals. Muldowney would be if he had come here when he was younger as would McCartney. Heenan will be an international.

It's a wonder that Connacht don't crush all opposition with nearly an entire test pack on the field as well as their international halfbacks.

Ronan Loughney - international
    Finlay Bealham - international
    Ultan Dillane - international
    John Muldoon - international
    Jake Heenan - would be international if he were eligible
    Tom McCartney would be international if he were eligible
    Kieran Marmion - international
    AJ MacGinty - international
    Bundee Aki - would be international if he were eligible
    Robbie Henshaw - international

McGrath = international
    Toner = international
    Ruddock = international
    Heaslip = international
    Reddan = international
    Sexton = international
    Rob K = international
    Fitz = international

Ah You - International
    Bealham - International
    White - International
    Dillane - International
    Loughney - International
    Muldoon - International
    Marmion - International
    MacGinty - International
    Henshaw - International

There's Internationals in all the teams. Point is Connacht are not playing Ireland next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Hagz wrote: »
    Ronan Loughney - international
    Finlay Bealham - international
    Ultan Dillane - international
    John Muldoon - international
    Jake Heenan - would be international if he were eligible
    Tom McCartney would be international if he were eligible
    Kieran Marmion - international
    AJ MacGinty - international
    Bundee Aki - would be international if he were eligible
    Robbie Henshaw - international

The difference being Robbie is the only one there with caps in the double digits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Glasgow
    Zebre and Treviso have huge numbers of internationals. They must surely be favourites to win the Pro12 next season.

Jaysus lads. This is Lam playing the game in the build up to a big match, a bit of harmless cute hoorism. Zero value in analysing it.

domrush wrote: »
    The difference being Robbie is the only one there with caps in the double digits.

It's just harmless banter.

The honest point is that painting out the Leinster team to be the Irish team fosters this notion that should Connacht win, then the Irish selection needs to be seriously re-considered. But in reality, very few of the Leinster team that Connacht will play make the Irish XV. There's McGrath, Ross, Toner, Heaslip and Sexton. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

McGrath = international
    Toner = international
    Ruddock = international
    Heaslip = international
    Reddan = international
    Sexton = international
    Rob K = international
    Fitz = international

Ah You - International
    Bealham - International
    White - International
    Dillane - International
    Loughney - International
    Muldoon - International
    Marmion - International
    MacGinty - International
    Henshaw - International

There's Internationals in all the teams. Point is Connacht are not playing Ireland next week.

Put those international caps side by side. It's not even comparable, why are you downplaying the side Leinster have? They provided 14/23 of the players for the France game and 13/23 of the players for Argentina game. Impressive really.

It's not the whole Ireland team but it's a more than decent chunk!!

Glasgow
    Buer wrote: »
    McGrath = international
    Toner = international
    Ruddock = international
    Heaslip = international
    Reddan = international
    Sexton = international
    Rob K = international
    Fitz = international

International caps in Ireland mean the square root of f*ck all.

Ronan Loughney, Rodney Ah You, Finlay Bealham, Muldoon, Ultan Dillane...all internationals. Muldowney would be if he had come here when he was younger as would McCartney. Heenan will be an international.

It's a wonder that Connacht don't crush all opposition with nearly an entire test pack on the field as well as their international halfbacks.

In my list I Quoted 15 Leinster guys regular in the current Irish 1st team (the 23). Connacht just have Henshaw and probably Dillane. No comparison (yet)

Put those international caps side by side. It's not even comparable, why are you downplaying the side Leinster have? They provided 14/23 of the players for the France game and 13/23 of the players for Argentina game. Impressive really.

I'm not downplaying the side that Leinster have. I'm saying Connacht will not be facing Ireland next week.

I'm also saying Pat Lam's habit of pointing out how many internationals each side they face have is starting to annoy me.

That's it.

Glasgow

I'm not downplaying the side that Leinster have. I'm saying Connacht will not be facing Ireland next week.

I'm also saying Pat Lam's habit of pointing out how many internationals each side they face have is starting to annoy me.

That's it.

All right 14/23, 60% of the Irish team, + 3 southern hemisphere backs. Let's say 30% of the Leinster team is not up to the best international standard (not Italy's one). Lam is right overall

In my list I Quoted 15 Leinster guys regular in the current Irish 1st team (the 23). Connacht just have Henshaw and probably Dillane. No comparison (yet)

Pat Lam isn't getting specific with numbers, why should we? He says Internationals, what does that mean? Players with International caps.

Also, on your list, 1 has 2 caps (VDF), 1 has 5 caps (Furlong) and 1 (Ringrose) hasn't been capped at all.

If you want to list players who might get capped you could add at least 4, if not more, to Connacht's list.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

That's it.

If they believe in what they put out in the initiative for the next 5 years then they need to stop seeing themselves as the poor relation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Glasgow
    Is there an actual quote from Lam anywhere?

Like, I know I'm outraged, I'm just not sure why.

Also need to find the right pitch of shrill indignation. Should I leave it at Alan Quinlan or go full Ferris?

Advertisement