Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

CardinalJ wrote: »
    If anyone was a fan of 'The Art of Flight', I'm presuming a lot of people, Red Bull Media House have a new film out with Travis Rice again. Only came out the other day but the trailer is sick.

Like TAOF it looks beautifully shot.

Go to redbull.tv (or get the app) and there are a ton of features, behind the scenes etc. available free there. HAven't splashed out for the movie yet, but it's only a matter of time, I'm sure - it looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Watched The Fourth phase over the weekend.

I was disappointed with it overall. Some great shots in it, but nowhere near enough action for a movie that's 90 minutes long. Far too much pretentious nonsense and ego stroking in it for me. The added sound effects on pow slashes and the like in certain scenes was unnecessary aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Watched The Fourth phase over the weekend.

I was disappointed with it overall. Some great shots in it, but nowhere near enough action for a movie that's 90 minutes long. Far too much pretentiousness nonsense and ego stroking in it for me. The added sound effects on pow slashes and the like in certain scenes was unnecessary aswell.

I find it difficult to watch films like that, first of all because if I was to live a thousand lives I'd never be able to do any of those tricks, and second, because as you said, the general pretentiousness, there's a fair amount of w*nk, too many people taking themselves far too seriously. I'm much happier watching people having fun on snowboards on Vimeo, or the likes.

But credit where credit is due,the skill of the athletes and the film crew, in films like that is undeniable. The scenery and tricks are breathtaking, but there is only so much I can watch before I get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

cormee wrote: »
    I find it difficult to watch films like that, first of all because if I was to live a thousand lives I'd never be able to do any of those tricks, and second, because as you said, the general pretentiousness, there's a fair amount of w*nk, too many people taking themselves far too seriously. I'm much happier watching people having fun on snowboards on Vimeo, or the likes.

But credit where credit is due,the skill of the athletes and the film crew, in films like that is undeniable. The scenery and tricks are breathtaking, but there is only so much I can watch before I get bored.

Watch GNAR! It should cheer you up

Fattes wrote: »

What/where is that?

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    What/where is that?

https://vimeo.com/18809446

Here is the full hour movie, basically a movie about a lot of skiers and boarders, being dumb, getting naked, peeing in the forest and generally acting like complete children while drinking.

The fact that they are some of the best skiers and boarders in the world makes it even better.

https://vimeo.com/18809446

Here is the full hour movie, basically a movie about a lot of skiers and boarders, being dumb, getting naked, peeing in the forest and generally acting like complete children while drinking.

The fact that they are some of the best skiers and boarders in the world makes it even better.

Will watch it later, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I agree , some of the movies you just cant connect to as you dont have a helicopter and production team to take you to Alaska.
    It all gets a bit boring and whilst nice to look at doesnt really inspire.

heres a simple video of a guy carving blues , id rather watch that sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW4F8AEiofkh

This was a start up movie https://vimeo.com/ondemand/prettyfaces and i think it captures the spirit of having fun in the mountains.
    i have 2 daughters and i hope this movie has inspired them

The power of nature in Chamonix this weekend

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmBL81hbzy/?taken-by=tof_henry

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

GNAR is my favourite snow movie, and probably will be for a long time. I only watch it the night before I go boarding, otherwise I get too giddy and just can't wait to go! Nothing like a bunch of 30 year olds waxing boards and having beers while watching GNAR and a having a good old fashioned sleepover before getting up at 6am to hit the road...Followed by a day of "I'm the best rider on the hill!"

My FB feed keeps popping up with different snow movies and premiere events. I'll do my research and post back here if I find any worth watching.

Disappointed that fourth phase is not impressing, although I did like the behind the scenes stuff. Makes me think they're just incredibly talented guys who are lucky enough to be at the forefront of a progressive sport and are just loving life. I don't watch them to relate, I watch them to be in awe of what's possible and hopefully get the push to finally book my avalanche safety training course!

*EDIT to add, anyone else seen Horgasm? I liked it a lot but that wannabe agent character got unfunny very quickly!

• Advertisement

The resort segment from Days of my Youth below is amazing, just 3 friends shredding 3 diffrent resorts, haveing fun and messing about, pretty much what I do on my days off with my co workers and friends. However none of us are Cody Townshed, Richard Permin, Banks Gilbelti :D:D:D:D:D:D despite what we think

https://youtu.be/Fz4F2X1xSc8

masseyno9 wrote: »
    *EDIT to add, anyone else seen Horgasm? I liked it a lot but that wannabe agent character got unfunny very quickly!

that's my go-to video when I'm looking to watch a snowboarding video.

I like Dex, the agent, he's a Norwegian comedian in real life, but I think he plays the idiot, coke-head agent quite well. He's meant to be overbearing, annoying and full of sh*t, and he plays it perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

So fellow snow chasers I have a question to some of the diy'ers.
    If I hire a car in Memmingen and plan to drive to Mayrhofen do I need to specify that I need winter tyres or would they be fitted as standard in mid January.
    Just trying to way up options on a solo trip.
    Munich is coming in a good bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Pretty sure its standard in Austria, germany and switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

a148pro wrote: »
    Pretty sure its standard in Austria, germany and switzerland.

OK grand, its mentioned as a tick box extra, so just was wondering if I'd be liable for it at the desk or being the middle of winter were they going to be standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

jvan wrote: »
    If I hire a car in Memmingen and plan to drive to Mayrhofen do I need to specify that I need winter tyres or would they be fitted as standard in mid January.

Standard as far as I'm concerned. I'm flying to Memmingen for that same reason. Flights to Munich are crazy when I'm going. Flight over alone costs more than return to Memmingen including my bags. I think it was 350 without bags and I got flights and baggage with Ryanair for less than 282. Mate will fly from England to Munich for next to nothing, pick up car and collect me.

99% sure that Bavaria, is the only German state that has identical rules re cars to Austria, you should be ok. Just make sure you pick up your Vignette, at the last petrol station in Germany.

Road up to Mayrhofen is Motorway and then A road so even in regular tyres you will be on

Ah Home!!!

The shot at 53 seconds in is actually my current screen saver except its me skiing it ha ha

http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/230340

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

OK grand, its mentioned as a tick box extra, so just was wondering if I'd be liable for it at the desk or being the middle of winter were they going to be standard.

My one and only car hire experience was from Munich airport in early March about 6 years ago and winter tyres were NOT on the car automatically. Chanced driving to Saalbach without them and had a few near death experiences in a snow storm on the way back to Munich :eek:

Don't know if the winter tyre thing has changed since but I'd be double checking if I were you. Can't remember who we rented off at the time either.

Found this on line for you

http://www.stuttgart.army.mil/pdf/WinterTires.pdf

Are Winter tires required in Germany?
    In November 2010, a new German federal law went into effect that specifically mandates the use of winter
    tires when conditions are icy. European winter tires have two kinds of markings: a snowflake for snow tires or
    M+S for tires designed to work in “matsch und schnee” — mud and snow. All-season or all-weather tires may
    also have the M+S marking and are acceptable for winter driving. The laws also apply to motorbikes, trucks
    and buses, regardless of whether the driver is the owner or is renting the vehicle. While there is no specific time
    period during which winter tires are required, many German drivers use the rule of thumb “von O bis O” – from O
    to O – meaning snow tires should be put on in October and remain on until Ostern (Easter).
    If your winter vacation takes you to another country, e.g. Austria or Switzerland, check what these countries’
    rules are. The European Road Safety website is a good resource:
    http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/index_en.htm.
    Can tire chains be used in Germany?
    In some areas snow chains may be required, but only as directed by road signs or police.
    An example of a German sign for areas requiring chains is at left. The maximum speed
    while driving a vehicle with chains is 50 kilometers per hour.
    What types of tires are best for winter driving?
    Only snow tires without spikes or studs are allowed in Germany. Tires designed for snow
    function better than multi-purpose tires. All tires must have at least 1.6 millimeters of tread
    depth, but for maximum safety tires with less than 4 millimeters should be replaced. A one
    euro coin can be used for a quick “tread check.” When placed in the tire’s tread, you
    should not be able to see the golden edge of the coin. If you can, the tire needs to be
    replaced. Winter tires offer better protection than all-season models, and it’s best if all
    four tires match. The German automobile club ADAC recommends using tires that
    carry the “three peak mountain” seal shown here, the mark of snow tires that meet
    the highest standards.
    What are the penalties for driving without winter tires?
    If you get caught driving without the correct tires on your vehicle, you can get a 40-euro ticket. If you cause
    an accident or create a road hazard or traffic jam as a result of not having the correct tires on your vehicle you
    can expect an 80-euro ticket and a point against your license. Police can assign blame to a motorist involved in a
    winter accident whose car does not have snow tires installed, regardless of who caused the accident. In addition,
    some insurance companies may deny coverage to motorists driving with summer tires on winter roads.
    Drivers who are unsure about winter tire requirements can contact the USAG Stuttgart vehicle registration at
    431-2833/civ. 07031-15-2833 or the Safety Office at 431-3132/civ. 07031-15-3132.
    Pay attention with rental cars:
    Don’t take for granted that rental cars are equipped with winter tires during the winter season. It is always your
    responsibility as the driver to ensure that the vehicle you operate is in a roadworthy condition, which includes
    suitable tires. You should clearly request winter tires when you reserve the car,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

DoraDelite wrote: »
    My one and only car hire experience was from Munich airport in early March about 6 years ago and winter tyres were NOT on the car automatically. Chanced driving to Saalbach without them and had a few near death experiences in a snow storm on the way back to Munich :eek:

Don't know if the winter tyre thing has changed since but I'd be double checking if I were you. Can't remember who we rented off at the time either.

I had one experience as well at Munich airport and car was with winter tyres without asking them in advance for it. It was March 2014.
    I have seen somewhere what winter tyres for rental companies in Germany and Austria are compulsory. Opposite to Milan Bergamo rental companies, where tyres are same all the time(summer ones, some supply with snow chains).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I rented a car in Munich 2 years ago and there was winter tyres on it. I thought they legally had to but its all a bit vague. I got stung for an extra fee for talking the car out of Germany in to Austria so watch the fine print. Police were very, very active on the road to Austria as well.

So just had my first few days of the season! Early season conditions are the best I have seen for at least 3-4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

So just had my first few days of the season! Early season conditions are the best I have seen for at least 3-4 years!

nice! where is it?

darka78 wrote: »
    nice! where is it?

Central Switzerland

Couple more from yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rew wrote: »

Very smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Engelberg open already Fattes?

Definitely that chill in the air in Ireland tonight....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

lot of snow on the cams this morning for any other saddos who really should be doing more productive things :)

Advertisement