Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

I'm pretty bad at deciphering the snow forecasts etc. Anyone know what the 3V are like for the next 2 weeks? Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ok yous are all doing a very good job at selling 3v to me ha! I can hire a car for likes of 180e, call it 230 after fuel (how much for likes of toils etc anyone know?), it's roughly 2 1/2hrs to VT from Geneva, aim would be to fly in for about 10am Sunday morning, hopefully be in VT for 1ish, hmm hard to know if I'd get in an afternoon skiing then. That's the main attraction of flaine over VT I'll admit, 30min transfer from Geneva ha.

If you are driving to VT you have to book into a carpark. The town is totally pedestrianised and on piste.

qwabercd wrote: »
    I'm pretty bad at deciphering the snow forecasts etc. Anyone know what the 3V are like for the next 2 weeks? Thanks!

There is no snow forecast ATM.

Rew wrote: »
    There is no snow forecast ATM.

Sorry to rephrase but will the ski be much good (based on current level of snow)? I see that 57/80 trails are open atm...

Sorry to rephrase but will the ski be much good (based on current level of snow)?

Should be fine, they will be making snow and spreading it around where needed. If temperatures go up that could change.

• Advertisement

Should be fine, they will be making snow and spreading it around where needed. If temperatures go up that could change.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ok yous are all doing a very good job at selling 3v to me ha! I can hire a car for likes of 180e, call it 230 after fuel (how much for likes of toils etc anyone know?), it's roughly 2 1/2hrs to VT from Geneva, aim would be to fly in for about 10am Sunday morning, hopefully be in VT for 1ish, hmm hard to know if I'd get in an afternoon skiing then. That's the main attraction of flaine over VT I'll admit, 30min transfer from Geneva ha.

Mid Jan (I understand that's when you'll be going) should be fine but right now there's not much snow in Haute-Savoie (almost nothing in Samoens which is linked with Flaine).
    In general anyway, if you want guaranteed snow in France you have to aim for the Savoie big ski areas (3V, Paradiski (La Plagne-Les Arcs) & Espace Killy (Val d'Isère-Tignes). All these have resorts around or higher than 2000m high (ski area can go down to 1200m) and go well above 3000m high. Ski areas are vast and varied (from glaciers to forests) and off-pistes possibilities are huge. You can actually take off-pistes "lessons"/"trips" for one or several days.

As for the toll, going from Geneva via A41 & N90 is less than 10€ toll (~8€ I think). If you fly to Geneva, be careful not to take the motorway in Switzerland 'cause you'll have to pay the ~40€ vignette for just a couple of kms (you may well be aware of that but I figured there's no harm repeating it ;)).

Now how long are you going? Just asking 'cause you mentioned the extra afternoon of skiing Flaine offers.

Also, does it have to be Flaine or Val Thorens? Going for the 3V, if it's not unaffordable, I'd suggest you go to Meribel (it's the middle valley of the 3V such that you can explore the whole area much easier and without the evening stress to come bacl to your place in time ;)).

The good thing for you is mid-Jan is outside French holidays so accomodations should be cheaper. Rest will be about the same.

You can regularly consult the interactive skimap => http://www.valthorens.com/fr/live/plan-interactif-des-pistes.426.html
    For example, now, Val Thorens has most of its area open. Rest of the 3V is closed (probably off-season though).

iroced wrote: »
    Mid Jan (I understand that's when you'll be going) should be fine but right now there's not much snow in Haute-Savoie (almost nothing in Samoens which is linked with Flaine).
    In general anyway, if you want guaranteed snow in France you have to aim for the Savoie big ski areas (3V, Paradiski (La Plagne-Les Arcs) & Espace Killy (Val d'Isère-Tignes). All these have resorts around or higher than 2000m high (ski area can go down to 1200m) and go well above 3000m high. Ski areas are vast and varied (from glaciers to forests) and off-pistes possibilities are huge. You can actually take off-pistes "lessons"/"trips" for one or several days.

As for the toll, going from Geneva via A41 & N90 is less than 10€ toll (~8€ I think). If you fly to Geneva, be careful not to take the motorway in Switzerland 'cause you'll have to pay the ~40€ vignette for just a couple of kms (you may well be aware of that but I figured there's no harm repeating it ;)).

Now how long are you going? Just asking 'cause you mentioned the extra afternoon of skiing Flaine offers.

Also, does it have to be Flaine or Val Thorens. Going for the 3V, if it's not unaffordable, I'd suggest you go to Meribel (it's the middle valley of the 3V such that you can explore the whole area much easier and without the evening stress to come bacl to your place in time.

The good thing for you is mid-Jan is outside French holidays so accomodations should be cheaper. Rest will be about the same.

You can regularly consult the interactive skimap => [URL=""][/URL]

For example, now, Val Thorens has most of its area open. Rest of the 3V is closed (probably off-season though).

Cheers. Seems like rest of 3V opens this weekend.

https://www.merinet.com/lifts/dates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you are driving to VT you have to book into a carpark. The town is totally pedestrianised and on piste.

Val Thorens? When did that happen? Was there last year and it was open to traffic. There's a free bus service that goes around the resort too.

Cheers. Seems like rest of 3V opens this weekend.

https://www.merinet.com/lifts/dates
    Yes. But Val Thorens is the only one with most of its area open.
    cormee wrote: »
    Val Thorens? When did that happen? Was there last year and it was open to traffic. There's a free bus service that goes around the resort too.
    It's semi-pedestrian. You have to park in dedicated parkings. Can't park in the streets. Only drop-off (for your luggages) allowed.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »

Sorry i'm over stating it a bit, there is no street parking allowed and some hotels don't have access by car but the ones that do you are allowed a drop off before parking up in one of the designated car parks:

http://www.valthorens.com/en/resort-and-useful-information/car-parking.26.html

I was considering driving there this year so had looked into it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think from recollection there's not actually a whole amount of blacks in Val Thorens? Best location in 3vs for skiing is actually Meribel Mottaret, just at the junction of the lifts that lead over to Courcheval and Val Thorens. No atmosphere in the town mind.

Most challenging slopes are the bowls down into Courmayeur (Grand Couloir) and a nice black called, I think, Coupe du Monde above Meribel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

We have spent the last 3 years skiing in Courchevel so know the 3 Valleys reasonably well.I would agree with pro that meribel is a better place to base yourself one of the negatives with Val Thoren is exposure during bad weather
    Courchevel is great because of the treeline.
    We will be in Courchevel mid January as well with friends and straight after have a week in Bansko with the family however a major problem arose last week when I broke my arm (near the wrist) playing football.
    It's currently in a cast I have an appointment with the orthopaedic doctor the day before we fly, that would be just over 4 weeks since I broke it I am honestly not sure if it is better to take the cast off and ski with a splint or recast us with my ski pole in my hand obviously not skiing is not an option.
    It's been a tough week and I haven't been very easy to live with I was really really looking forward to try to make transition and improvement this season but beginning to realise I'm thankful I could be a lot worse.

a148pro wrote: »
    I think from recollection there's not actually a whole amount of blacks in Val Thorens? Best location in 3vs for skiing is actually Meribel Mottaret, just at the junction of the lifts that lead over to Courcheval and Val Thorens. No atmosphere in the town mind.

Most challenging slopes are the bowls down into Courmayeur (Grand Couloir) and a nice black called, I think, Coupe du Monde above Meribel.
    Courchevel :p (or it's a very very long piste :pac:).

Yeah both sides of the Saulire-Dent de Burgin (Courch'-Merib' connection) have great black runs.

In Val Thorens, the Cime Caron pistes are great (both sides). The Orelle area is pretty good too (red & blue runs mainly).

Best location in 3vs for skiing is actually Meribel Mottaret, just at the junction of the lifts that lead over to Courcheval and Val Thorens. No atmosphere in the town .
    The Pointe de la Masse has some great slopes too, and it's very handy to get to from VT. It's in a quiet part of the 3v, beside Menuires so it never gets too busy. It's well worth spending an afternoon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

iroced wrote: »
    Courchevel :p (or it's a very very long piste :pac:).

Yeah both sides of the Saulire-Dent de Burgin (Courch'-Merib' connection) have great black runs.

In Val Thorens, the Cime Caron pistes are great (both sides). The Orelle area is pretty good too (red & blue runs mainly).

I love the cime Caron!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Hey, looking to go this year to anywhere pretty much for snowboarding. (Currently looking at Austria)
    I am Intermediate level, travelling alone always.

Where would be best place to find a companion? (Someone to just hang out with and to travel)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, looking to go this year to anywhere pretty much for snowboarding. (Currently looking at Austria)
    I am Intermediate level, travelling alone always.

Where would be best place to find a companion? (Someone to just hang out with and to travel)

get yourself onto snowheads loads of solo trippers there and easy to make plans to meet people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Haven't been on boards in a while. Where's everyone off to this year? If anyone has any tips for Zell Am See, Saalbach or Kitzbuhel let me know. Heading to Austria on Jan 4th for the rest of the season :D

If anyone is in the area let me know, hopefully I'll get to know a few spots really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Just looking at the Action outdoors website, and skyscanner again, I can do the week starting 14th Jan in La Plagne for e783 all in (including flights/transfers, just add booze ha), think I'll really really struggle to do better than that! Les Arc appears to be within skiing distance to La Plagne. Something inside me still wants to go 3V tho haha hmmm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Actually same offer on for 3V. Time to book!

stevire wrote: »
    Heading to Austria on Jan 4th for the rest of the season :D

Lucky bastard! How is that possible, what is plan are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Heading to Sierra Nevada for a week in the next couple of days. Haven't heard much about it but the few comments I have seen have been negative. Haven't been skiing for a few years so really looking forward to it.

Any boardsies have any experience?

First place I ever skied. Probably not a good judge as a result as I had nothing to compare it with. I do remember skiing in a t-shirt almost the whole time though! Also one incredibly steep black. I'd like to go back. Spain is a nice culture, good cheap food and wine, how bad can it be?

Also snow is so **** all over europe right now that its unlikely you'd get better conditions anywhere else. I believe they're quite accomplished snow makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Looks like big snow for Austria on Wednesday/Thursday. Still a bit out, but first significant forecast in a while. Over a foot due.

Edit - Snow forecast upgraded again. Looking like 45/50cm for Mayrhofen on Wed/Thursday and more on Sunday. Badly needed to get resort fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

First place I ever skied. Probably not a good judge as a result as I had nothing to compare it with. I do remember skiing in a t-shirt almost the whole time though! Also one incredibly steep black. I'd like to go back. Spain is a nice culture, good cheap food and wine, how bad can it be?
    Here now atm and yea, very warm. Only ski jacket I brought was a big North Face one and I'm boiling in it come 3/4 o' clock.
    Also snow is so **** all over europe right now that its unlikely you'd get better conditions anywhere else. I believe they're quite accomplished snow makers.

Yea the snow makers are brilliant, icy in patches but by and large good cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I've been looking forward to this year so much, but, its looking a bit rough now.
    I broke my arm just over 4 weeks ago and getting my cast checked in the 5th, we fly on the 6th to courchevel and the snow conditions look poor at best.
    Still better than no skiing at all.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Looks like big snow for Austria on Wednesday/Thursday. Still a bit out, but first significant forecast in a while. Over a foot due.

Edit - Snow forecast upgraded again. Looking like 45/50cm for Mayrhofen on Wed/Thursday and more on Sunday. Badly needed to get resort fully open.

Am heading to St. Anton Saturday week, I hope this snow materialises, looking at the webcams it's very badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Heading to Montafon sat week as well, snow you bstrd!

Advertisement