Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

a148pro wrote: »
    Engelberg open already Fattes?

Definitely that chill in the air in Ireland tonight....:D

Opened Two weeks ago! Just the Glacier area, the close again today and reopen on the 18th of November! The have to close to do the annual service on the gondola to the glacier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Looked very good.

Not sure if I'll get away at all this year due to age of kids, maybe if number 2 starts sleeping through the night. Otherwise will have to bring them, which I don't really mind enjoyed skiing with number 1 last year and will get an hour or two each day on my own.

Anyone planning on soon being encumbered with kids get your fix in now! The days of three last minute ski jaunts a year are over for me for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

First day of the 16/17 winter that I'm seating here at home with a serious goo for a bit of boarding. Time to watch a few dvds and scroll websites and Web cams ðŸ‚

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

jvan wrote: »
    First day of the 16/17 winter that I'm seating here at home with a serious goo for a bit of boarding. Time to watch a few dvds and scroll websites and Web cams ðŸ‚

SnowReport.com Twitter feed is making me sick the last few days, lots of lovely snow in a lot of major resorts. I should unfollow until early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Folks Its been asked before but is there any Austrian equivalent of the UCPA . I am looking to do an affordable 1 week camp just to improve my boarding in maybe January.

But am going to france with a gang already but would prefer not to do 2 trips to france.

• Advertisement

First big dump in the village 8cm last night

Looks like the weather forecast was spot on for the weekend, this is how home looks this am!

Sadly I am in Ireland aggghhhhh!!! Long range forecast has low temps across the alps for the next 4-5 weeks! In fairness the alps are due a good cold early start here is hoping it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭maddness

Looks like 100cms plus for Meribel and even more for Chamonix in the next three days. Courchevel are opening this coming Friday with two or three lifts open for free.
    I'm going in five weeks so hopefully it will stay cold as Fattes said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

maddness wrote: »
    Looks like 100cms plus for Meribel and even more for Chamonix in the next three days. Courchevel are opening this coming Friday with two or three lifts open for free.
    I'm going in five weeks so hopefully it will stay cold as Fattes said.

Have you been before? 3V is great resort

Rew wrote: »
    Have you been before? 3V is great resort

This will be the fifth time, love the place.

• Advertisement

Jesus! November!

a148pro wrote: »
    Jesus! November!

It would probably come as a shock to most people how good Nobember and April snow can be!

Another 50cm due in some alpine resorts this Sat and Sunday

Hero 5 Black does GPS overlay now:

More snow forecast this weekend��

Anyone heading for Ischgl?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/news/ischgl-ski-resort-ban-ski-boots-after-8pm/
    The statement said: "We would like to inform you that from November 20 to May 5 walking in hard-soled footwear (eg ski boots or similar plastic soles) and carrying skis, ski sticks or snowboards will be prohibited on all of the routes and squares in the centre of Ischgl between the evening and night-time hours of 20:00 to 6:00."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Grandvalira finally slated for a good dump of snow this week (120cm), had been fairly anaemic in comparison to the alps, had me a bit nervous considering I'm going before Christmas!

My annual goody bagfor the season! Time to start packing up the car, the mountains are calling

Fattes wrote: »
    My annual goody bagfor the season! Time to start packing up the car, the mountains are calling

I'm sure you must have plenty of different skis to chose from but what type of ski do you tend to use mostly?

maddness wrote: »
    I'm sure you must have plenty of different skis to chose from but what type of ski do you tend to use mostly?

17M GS based skis like in the previous picture ! I have two pairs like this one with a race plate one without. I teach on them so that's why I spend so much time on them. Pretty much a do everything ski! A little more work in powder but still nice in the soft stuff, great in bumps, on Piste as well They are the perfect all mountain ski

When taking free ride lessons or normal snow days off, I Use QST 106 underfoot skis with Touring bindings like these orange ones

About 5-6 days a year I get to break out the 122 underfoot silly skis 😈

• Advertisement

Savage, enjoy, super jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Nice one :)
    enjoy the season

Good to be home

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

First day out of the season on Sunday. Went to Lake Louise as we mistakenly thought the ladies world cup was on and fancied seeing some of that as the men's was cancelled. Ladies is on next weekend! Anyway, not a bad day all told. The backside of the hill was only open a day or 2 prior so grooming was almost non-existent and most of the runs were bumpy and/or bare with sprouty trees popping through. I came undone at one point by some invisible bumps (flat light) bucking me off...a not so subtle reminder that early season conditions are less than perfect! Got chatting to a couple of people on lifts and apparently Sunshine (30 mins down the road, we drove past it to get to Louise) was much better. Oh well, live and learn!

Stuck to the front side in the afternoon and cruised around, getting the legs back and just getting back into it again. Broke my leg playing rugby back in June so getting a day in with no major pains was promising...didn't want to push it too much. See what happens when I find some powder or the parks open up. Thinking of going back next weekend to see the world cup. Free to go look, once you don't want to go up a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Flaine or val thorens in mid jan? I'd be a confident enough skiier and need plenty of reds/blacks and some off piste. And to be snow sure definitely! Which should I go for? VT will be 300 or so more expensive with transfers, drinks etc, but the flights/basic package similar price (going with the ucpa). Flaine sounds very good for what I want, however I'd be a little worried I'll get bored, whereas I can upgrade to the full 3valleys pass in VT so zero fear of running out of slopes ha.

I understand there's some very good bowls in Flaine for off piste. It also has a very good snow record despite being lower.

On the other hand, I think every skier needs to experience the 3Vs at least once, if you're into skiing it really is unbelieveably good (in terms of pistes anyway, I'm sure there's oodles of off piste too)

You don't get more snow sure than 3vs either

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

The main resort bowl of Flaine has 5 blacks (there are more in rest of the grand massif area)
    The best black, I feel, is in the ger valley which is one big steep off piste bowl with single draglift and black down the middle of it.

One black hasn't been open the last two years I have skied there, some big crevasses nearby, they didn't even mark the run in case, people were tempted.

I like Flaine, very relaxed place, not too busy and plenty of slopes, but if you need more red/black terrain maybe 3Valleys.
    Having skied the area I now think it is time for me to get some guiding to find some of best spots and yet be safe.

Actually the other thing that screwed me over last year, too much snow so slopes closed left right and centre ha. Is 3v less of a risk with that with more ground to cover?, or if there is a serious dump will ya just have to accept the whole resort is probably whited out with avalanche risk everywhere?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Actually the other thing that screwed me over last year, too much snow so slopes closed left right and centre ha. Is 3v less of a risk with that with more ground to cover?, or if there is a serious dump will ya just have to accept the whole resort is probably whited out with avalanche risk everywhere?

Ive been to the 3V twice and found it incredibly well groomed and would have said it was unlikely much would close in that scenario. If you haven't been its an awesome spot.

• Advertisement

Ok yous are all doing a very good job at selling 3v to me ha! I can hire a car for likes of 180e, call it 230 after fuel (how much for likes of toils etc anyone know?), it's roughly 2 1/2hrs to VT from Geneva, aim would be to fly in for about 10am Sunday morning, hopefully be in VT for 1ish, hmm hard to know if I'd get in an afternoon skiing then. That's the main attraction of flaine over VT I'll admit, 30min transfer from Geneva ha.

Advertisement