Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

looking at andorra paddies weekend. should be a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Back on plastic this week! Its not that I don't want to look but we were skiing blind to highten other senses.

Working on 1 leg skiing today! Plastic scares me

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

The countdown is on! Flying out the 24th Dec to Chamonix for 2 weeks. Also just booked Saalbach for the end of January.

Couple of other trips in the works but not booked yet, roll on winter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Yep. It's time. Booked two weeks in Mayrhofen end of Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

DoraDelite wrote: »
    ...Chamonix for 2 weeks... Also just booked Saalbach for the end of January...Couple of other trips in the works

Ah here!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

cormee wrote: »
    Ah here!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 skiingkaty

Hi all,

Looking for some advice:

Like another poster, we're big Soll fans, been about 6/7 times now. Love the skiing and the apres ski. This year we are looking to change it up a bit, mainly because at this stage we feel like we know the slopes backwards.

Looking for somewhere similar in size to Soll, with decent bars and restaurants and decent intermediate level skiing. We want to stick to the Salzburg area.

I've have been looking at Kirchberg and Saalbach. Anyone have any pros/cons on them and how they compare to Soll?

We tried Westendorf once but not a fan - far too quiet at night.

TIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

skiingkaty wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice:

Like another poster, we're big Soll fans, been about 6/7 times now. Love the skiing and the apres ski. This year we are looking to change it up a bit, mainly because at this stage we feel like we know the slopes backwards.

Looking for somewhere similar in size to Soll, with decent bars and restaurants and decent intermediate level skiing. We want to stick to the Salzburg area.

I've have been looking at Kirchberg and Saalbach. Anyone have any pros/cons on them and how they compare to Soll?

TIA!
    Kirchberg, Kitzbuhel good enough craic and decent skiing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

skiingkaty wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice:

TIA!

Saalbach FTW! We're going to Soll this year for a change, but would go back go Saalbach in a flash. Great skiing, great nightlife. All good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 skiingkaty

Great - thank you!

The new GoPro drone looks great, comes with a gimbal that you can detach and attach to your pole
    https://youtu.be/CjNjcrQZtd8

I am hoping we will see the GImbal as a stand alone product too. No interest in the drone but they GImble looks very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

10 Booked to Mayerhofen. Can now stop avoiding this forum due to jealousy. Giddy up!

Fattes wrote: »
    I am hoping we will see the GImbal as a stand alone product too. No interest in the drone but they GImble looks very practical.
    You can pick them up on AliExpress for a fair price, not sure about the quality. Ryan Knapton uses a Zhiyun Z1 Evolution gimbal, and the difference is pretty amazing.
    I'd like a drone, not just for snowboarding, but I'm not sure if the price would warrant it. If they are any good at following you, as the video claims, you could get some pretty stunning shots skiing/snowboarding, but then you'd be lugging around that backpack all day for 30 mins, or so, flight time. It would be great if you could rent them out for the day at resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

cormee wrote: »
    You can pick them up on AliExpress for a fair price, not sure about the quality. Ryan Knapton uses a Zhiyun Z1 Evolution gimbal, and the difference is pretty amazing.
    I'd like a drone, not just for snowboarding, but I'm not sure if the price would warrant it. If they are any good at following you, as the video claims, you could get some pretty stunning shots skiing/snowboarding, but then you'd be lugging around that backpack all day for 30 mins, or so, flight time. It would be great if you could rent them out for the day at resorts.

Not to derail the thread too much, but the GoPro drone can't follow you; the video just makes it look that way.

There are drones that can do it, but I've no idea how effective it is, especially on a busy ski slope. All puny humans probably look the same to the drone overlords.

Dero wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread too much, but the GoPro drone can't follow you; the video just makes it look that way.

There are drones that can do it, but I've no idea how effective it is, especially on a busy ski slope. All puny humans probably look the same to the drone overlords.

That's ridiculous - they'll sell one if they're lucky. How could they launch it without follow-me capabilities. :mad:
    I *think* on the other drones, that do follow, you can pair it to a wearable, or phone, or the likes - so a busy slope shouldn't matter. I could be wrong though.

cormee wrote:
    That's ridiculous - they'll sell one if they're lucky. How could they launch it without follow-me capabilities. I *think* on the other drones, that do follow, you can pair it to a wearable, or phone, or the likes - so a busy slope shouldn't matter. I could be wrong though.

I just cant see resorts allowing drones on slopes. Over head chair lifts with people on them, general powerlines etc, trees. Too many ways for it all to go wrong.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I just cant see resorts allowing drones on slopes. Over head chair lifts with people on them, general powerlines etc, trees. Too many ways for it all to go wrong.

Some of them (claim to be able to) avoid obstacles in their path. Besides the issues with policing a ban on drones, would they, when they allow those crazy metal snow bike thingys on the slopes? A skiier or snowboarder with a helmet probably wouldn't be even aware if one (drone) hit them, they're so light. Anyway, early days for them being used with extreme sports - I'd love to get some non-selfie pole footage. These new VR cameras look promising too.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I had a hexo plus but never flew it on the snow. Austria is my go to place for the white stuff and they implemented a load of laws to cover drones. To fly a line of sight drone you're required you to either have a pilots license or pass an examination in air law at Austro Control. There's also laws for none line of sight, weight and over what areas it will fly. I.e over residential, commercial, over country etc. Far to completated so I sold mine to a guy in France.

The GoPro Karma looks a lot like the prototypes of the hexo. Battery kife is reported to be 20mins but I'd expect that to be ideal conditions as opposed to up a mountain in the cold.

Karma grip is reported to be 249.99. I don't know how that stacks up against other gimbals.

I do like the hero5. Water proof, one touch control or voice. Battery will be a problem like the session as you can't swap it. Would require having a battery pack to charge it during the day. I read it'll last 2 hours. Presumably that's with continuous use. The session 4 I have does OK as it powers off with a single touch too. It still doesn't last a day with many runs though. Price is the same as a hero4 black so expect to see good savings on the 4. Very good picture on the 3+ and 4. Far better than the 3. I was waiting for the 5 to get a 4 but now I'm leaning toward the 5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The GoPro Karma looks a lot like the prototypes of the hexo. Battery kife is reported to be 20mins but I'd expect that to be ideal conditions as opposed to up a mountain in the cold.

My guess is they are averaging so may be better or worse depending but yeah cold will be intresting to see.
    Karma grip is reported to be 249.99. I don't know how that stacks up against other gimbals.

€329 in the EU shop
    I do like the hero5. Water proof, one touch control or voice. Battery will be a problem like the session as you can't swap it. Would require having a battery pack to charge it during the day. I read it'll last 2 hours. Presumably that's with continuous use. The session 4 I have does OK as it powers off with a single touch too. It still doesn't last a day with many runs though. Price is the same as a hero4 black so expect to see good savings on the 4. Very good picture on the 3+ and 4. Far better than the 3. I was waiting for the 5 to get a 4 but now I'm leaning toward the 5.

Hero 5 battery is removable similar but not the same as the 4 battery. Built in stabilisation is going to be the big diff between the 4 and 5. Cant wait to see real world what that looks like. It has a few other nice bells and whistles (1080p at 120fps) but haven't seen the tech specs to see what else they have crammed in (better aperture/lowlight?)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/snow-banff-mountains-lake-louise-1.3770687

It's started!!

This will melt by the weekend, I'm sure. Mid-teens temperatures predicted for Banff on Saturday, but it's still exciting! I know most on here are European-focused, but every now and then something gets posted about Canada.
    Also, the 'farmer's almanac' which is a semi-trusted weather forecasting source around here has called for a cold winter with lots of snow. Should be better than last year anyway!

I've already put in for days off work for some weekday riding when the hill is empty! Now to decide where to go...Fernie and Kicking Horse need a visit I think. I like going to Lake Louise on World Cup weekend because the racers just stroll around at the base like they're regular folk, which is pretty cool. Also might take a trip down to Montana for good snow and cheap beer!

If anyone is looking at a Canadian trip, give me a shout and I'll try help out with some local knowledge.

masseyno9 wrote: »
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/snow-banff-mountains-lake-louise-1.3770687

It's started!!

This will melt by the weekend, I'm sure. Mid-teens temperatures predicted for Banff on Saturday, but it's still exciting! I know most on here are European-focused, but every now and then something gets posted about Canada.
    Also, the 'farmer's almanac' which is a semi-trusted weather forecasting source around here has called for a cold winter with lots of snow. Should be better than last year anyway!

I've already put in for days off work for some weekday riding when the hill is empty! Now to decide where to go...Fernie and Kicking Horse need a visit I think. I like going to Lake Louise on World Cup weekend because the racers just stroll around at the base like they're regular folk, which is pretty cool. Also might take a trip down to Montana for good snow and cheap beer!

If anyone is looking at a Canadian trip, give me a shout and I'll try help out with some local knowledge.

Snow Forecast tweeted a picture of Lake Louise under a few inches of snow, three or four days ago.

Here in Europe, Val Thorens in the 3 Valleys got some snow two days ago, and according to Snow Forecast the Pitzal glacier in Austria opened for the season last week. Happy days :D

Have my phone set up with a webcam and weather for Mayrhofen... 13 degrees and green.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Have my phone set up with a webcam and weather for Mayrhofen... 13 degrees and green.

I hope you're using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.addtheday.android&hl=en :D

I must set mine up too.

cormee wrote:
    I hope you're using this app

Have something similar but dont have it set up yet. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just booked Söll! W00P! Thanks for FannyMcGee for all the tips :)

If anyone is interested, the annual Irish championship races are on this weekend at the Ski Club of Ireland Kilternan. All day Sat 09:30 AM - 16:30 APPROX and Sunday, 09:30 am - 15:30 approx. Sunday afternoon is a dual team Slalom event. the rest is Slalom.

• Advertisement

Good vid on what to expect from the Karma Grip, if anything its too smooth :D

Advertisement