Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

lawred2 wrote: »
    How often do you get out to ski?

I aim to go for 2 2 week trips a year and aim to board everyday if possible. I get a season pass to save a bit

Does anyone go over to Scotland out of interest? Anyone know what it's like for say a weekend ski trip?

I've looked at it and it seems expensive all in with dodgy weather. I'd stick to the alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Does anyone go over to Scotland out of interest? Anyone know what it's like for say a weekend ski trip?

My Brother went to Cairngorm (I think) a few years ago, said it was absolutely polar, and with high wings. Said, weather wise, it's way worse than the Alps. If I recall correctly a light aircraft crashed up there a few years ago, the conditions were so bad they couldn't get up to retrieve the bodies for a week or so.
    Regarding a weekend trip - besides the marginally shorter flight, there would be no real advantage to picking there over the Alps. You'd still have to go through the whole airport, transfer, hotel experience anyway. Much better flying to Geneva and going somewhere close by like Chamonix.

I aim to go for 2 2 week trips a year and aim to board everyday if possible. I get a season pass to save a bit

Do you not go on any summer holidays?

cormee wrote: »
    Do you not go on any summer holidays?

Haha Not really but I have been up to Hintertux in summer. Good fun but cost the same as a winter trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My Brother went to Cairngorm (I think) a few years ago, said it was absolutely polar, and with high wings. Said, weather wise, it's way worse than the Alps. If I recall correctly a light aircraft crashed up there a few years ago, the conditions were so bad they couldn't get up to retrieve the bodies for a week or so.
    Regarding a weekend trip - besides the marginally shorter flight, there would be no real advantage to picking there over the Alps. You'd still have to go through the whole airport, transfer, hotel experience anyway. Much better flying to Geneva and going somewhere close by like Chamonix.

well I only say Scotland because the missus' folks are over there... But not really over there in a sense that would help for the highlands

I'd say it's perfect if you're local and not a 'working' type where you could make impromptu decisions to hit the slopes. Probably not great for planned trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Haha Not really but I have been up to Hintertux in summer. Good fun but cost the same as a winter trip.

Will be in Mayrhofen in Jan and was going to go up there for a day? Is it worth it? Ive got a lot of mixed info about how long it takes to get there. Anything from 20 mins to 90! Any idea whats accurate?

well I only say Scotland because the missus' folks are over there... But not really over there is a sense that would help for the highlands

I'd say it's perfect if you're local and not a 'working' type where you could make impromptu decisions to hit the slopes. Probably not great for planned trips.

It would be fantastic to have something like that here in Ireland. Imagine just being able to throw the skis/board in the boot, say bye to the missus and kids, and head up for a Saturday afternoon messing around on the slopes.

cormee wrote:
    It would be fantastic to have something like that here in Ireland. Imagine just being able to throw the skis/board in the boot, say bye to the missus and kids, and head up for a Saturday afternoon messing around on the slopes.

Ive promised myself that ill ski on Lugnaquilla this year. Every winter I go up when theres good winter conditions to hike/climb up the gullies coming down theres always parts that are skiable.

Its treking up with all my gear thats stopped me!

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Will be in Mayrhofen in Jan and was going to go up there for a day? Is it worth it? Ive got a lot of mixed info about how long it takes to get there. Anything from 20 mins to 90! Any idea whats accurate?

I'll be there end of Jan too.

Takes about 30 to 40 mins on the bus. I usually drive. I would spend most of my trip there but stay in Mayrhofen. Other days I'd be off piste somewhere in zillertal valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

30-35 min is the norm, well worth the trip!

Expensive, time conusuming, all of the slopes are a couple of hours drive, weather is terrible, high winds, and minumal snow cover.

That said, skiing in Scotland is a great experience, and if you get the opportunity take it, if the conditions are good it can be amazing

• Advertisement

Its treking up with all my gear thats stopped me!

Wait for the next PhantoM DJI, it will have gear-carrying functionality :D

The cows are down from the summer pastures, and the first snow has fallen photos courtesy of Anni Monti and Prome Mountain sports

Can anyone comment on what the best few all mountain skis out there at the moment? Friend looking to buy a new pair. Volkl Mantra seem to get v positive reviews.

If anyone was a fan of 'The Art of Flight', I'm presuming a lot of people, Red Bull Media House have a new film out with Travis Rice again. Only came out the other day but the trailer is sick.

Like TAOF it looks beautifully shot.

If anyone was a fan of 'The Art of Flight', I'm presuming a lot of people, Red Bull Media House have a new film out with Travis Rice again. Only came out the other day but the trailer is sick.

Like TAOF it looks beautifully shot.

Ahhhh it was broadcast last Sunday at 9pm on Redbull.tv but my broadband died at exactly that moment.Have been waiting ages for it. Trailers are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

Big fan of the previous 2, especially Art of Flight, I was blown away the first time I saw that.

But and this is based on first impressions. The fourth phase didn't do it for me. Maybe I need to rewatch it, not sure of the picture quality was lost on my streaming (via apple tv) but it didn't cut it with me. Maybe I was expecting too much but I thought it was a bit flat.

As I said, I'll get my hands on the dvd and watch it on my own time but first impressions was meh

For anyone heading to Coyrmayer or Chamonix this season!

https://youtu.be/Tco3nJ9YESA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

jvan wrote: »
    Big fan of the previous 2, especially Art of Flight, I was blown away the first time I saw that.

But and this is based on first impressions. The fourth phase didn't do it for me. Maybe I need to rewatch it, not sure of the picture quality was lost on my streaming (via apple tv) but it didn't cut it with me. Maybe I was expecting too much but I thought it was a bit flat.

As I said, I'll get my hands on the dvd and watch it on my own time but first impressions was meh

Ya I totally agree , I think was only 4-5 segments of actual boarding in total which is nothing compared to the previous two films.

It had the feel of a failed project and that they had to cut their loses a piece together a film out of it. Its no surprise given that they really pushed their luck a lot in the Art of Flight. My whole perspective of these films have changed a lot given, the mental state that Mark Lanvik was left in following Rice around so much.

That said there were some but not many great segments and one scene in particular my jaw just dropped , anyone who see's it will know what I am on about

I see where you're coming from re the failed project and just winging the remaining 'story'. Wonder did the money men pull the financing after last scene.
    Any idea if Landvic and Rice have fallen out. Did they just part ways in the movie or has the friendship fallen apart. He always seemed like the biggest messer so was surprised to see him getting that freaked out by the conditions and not just being there for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

jvan wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from re the failed project and just winging the remaining 'story'. Wonder did the money men pull the financing after last scene.
    Any idea if Landvic and Rice have fallen out. Did they just part ways in the movie or has the friendship fallen apart. He always seemed like the biggest messer so was surprised to see him getting that freaked out by the conditions and not just being there for the craic.

This explains it alot he basically had a mental breakdown, they didn't have a falling out really per say. Its just the near deaths, injurys , pressure to perform in front of a high production film setup, longs waits for weather, its really took its toll.

I saw that clip a few months ago watched the 4th phase kinda hoping Rice finally got his ass handed to him , while coming out of it obviously

• Advertisement

Wow, interesting little video that.
    Even with some of the heavy content it was still a more enjoyable 12 mins than the whole of fourth phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Heres one of the craziest moves ive seen on skis :) from around a minute in!

https://youtu.be/ZsX41G0MNqc

Same guy about 5 mins in

https://youtu.be/5KmSPTUgfio

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Heres one of the craziest moves ive seen on skis :) from around a minute in!

https://youtu.be/ZsX41G0MNqc

Same guy about 5 mins in

https://youtu.be/5KmSPTUgfio

That clipping out and in is excellent, both of the lads in the 2nd video are very lifty with the inside ski, I can understand why the older guy is but the younger lad has no excuse!

And we're off! First snow of the season - will probably be gone by lunchtime though.

1432n13.jpg

We have snow down to 1,800meters now! Way to early to get excited about it, but always nice too see. Photo courtesy of Prime Mountain sports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the year following an El Nino year has always had above average snow in Europe.... Fingers crossed!!

First snowfall in Aosta Valley :)

grimod.jpg?1476337572

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    First snowfall in Aosta Valley :)

Ooh, that's a live, webcam photo. Fancy!

Ooh, that's a live, webcam photo. Fancy!

thats the one i use for your app :)
    painfully frustrating counting down 64 days and 18 hours ha ha

• Advertisement

Sorry my friends & colleagues at the ski school have, terrible taste in music but they were out for a little hike today that turned into this!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLoq761gVS2/?taken-by=primeengelberg

Advertisement