Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

mattser wrote: »
    Fair play to her if she gets it. Anything would be better than a grilling from so called experts on policing.

You don't have to be an expert on policing to see that she is not the person to reinvigorate the Guards and that she is complicit in the rotten culture at AGS. In any other functioning democracy she'd be long gone.

By the way why has Callinan not been questioned for shredding several bags of potentially important information. Far be it for Noirin to hold him to account, being his right hand woman during his tenure and all.

Change the Guards with a complete outsider with an agenda of whole sale reform and weed out the corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Korat wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the Garda problem but if you keep sacking the chief aren't you just cutting the head of the weed?

If nobody is ever held personally accountable, nothing will ever change.

... il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

emo72 wrote: »
    Sorry lads, what's the story here? Is she scrambling around looking for another job so she doesn't have to give evidence at the tribunal? I've seen her mentioned with Jobs in Canada and interpol. Is it that simple?

Lovely Noreen applied for a job with Europol over the hols.
    I only wish Claire Daly was tasked with given her a reference.

It would be a godsend for the rest of us here if she got it however.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hopefully she has had, a long time for discussion and refection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

John Mooney in the Sunday Times reported at the weekend about her missing mobile phones. Apparently Judge Charleston is less than impressed that so many of them went missing. He does have an iPad belonging to her but the phone she was using during the main period he is investigating has definitely vanisehed.

For a force whose job it is to preserve evidence isnt is just amazing how the head of the force makes evidence disappear? Anyway the tribunal resumes on the 18th. Im looking forward to Michael McDowell tearing Noirin a new one, it will be a packed house that day.

• Advertisement

McDowell, would know a lot. Wouldn't like to be facing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Wouldn't be surprised if she resigns before the hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She should take the strong hints and buzz off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The Irish Times reports today that she didn't get the Europol job "due to her lack of experience at a senior management level." Enough said ...

I remember when Irish Times reported that the European Court of Auditors refused to take Kevin Cardiff, because he wasn't very good at maths.

But in the end we made the feckers take him :D
    The parliament as a whole often reverses committee decisions that don’t reflect the broad consensus of the parliament.....

...the Government can try to ram his nomination through via a meeting of EU finance ministers.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/will-kevin-cardiff-get-top-276k-eu-job-by-backdoor-26795207.html

Maybe the same trick is available for Europol?
    They say it ain't over till the fat lady sings.

iirc the Kevin Cardiff appointment was to a board of auditors of 10 or 12 members or whatever. The head of Europol is a different matter.

She must have been really desperate going for that job in the first place. Apart from the fact that she has less than 3 years experience as Commissioner she is engulfed in scandal after scandal. But I would think the main disqualfier for her was that she is pretty clueless about combating the latest waves of terrorism that have hit Europe, something that would be top priority in that job. At the end of the day she was just chancing her arm.

Oh and just wondering has it been mentioned on thread about the Paul Williams interview of Mrs.D which came out in the tribunal? Williams was responsible for writing the articles about Mrs.D and when he interviewed her about the allegations against McCabe he brought along a videographer to record the interview. The videographer was none other than Noirin OSullivans son. That must be some Chinese wall they have got going on in Noirins house "What did you do today, son?" "Oh I was fighting crime with Paul Williams interviewing the girl who alleges sexual abuse against that whistleblower who has been in the media more or less constantly for the last year now". "Thats enough son, dont tell me any more!"

The whole episode stinks to high heaven. Paul Williams was trying to serve Maurice McCabes head up on a plate to Noirin OSullivan. And he employs her son to be in on the interview to show her too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is she back from her holidays yet? I heard on Pat Kenny she didn't even tell the Taoiseach she was applying for the job in Europol.  She knows she is in deep crap here and is close to the chop that she looking for away out before she is destroyed by all these investigations.  
    I see they found another couple hundred thousand faked breath tests, so there were only a million proper breath tests out of 2.5 million. :)

She's off again, to an International Conference.

FF have had ample opportunities to put their votes were their mouths are yet continue to abstain when votes of confidence are called on her.

At this stage now I actually hope she stays on and continues to become one big festering sore on this govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Donal55 wrote:
    FF have had ample opportunities to put their votes were their mouths are yet continue to abstain when votes of confidence are called on her.

Donal55 wrote:
    At this stage now I actually hope she stays on and continues to become one big festering sore on this govt.

She must have some dirt on them also...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

kevthegaff wrote: »
    She must have some dirt on them also...

Weak politicians. The whole State is undermined with such a truly disgraceful law enforcement body in place. What price justice? Neither FG or FF are fit for Government, as both stick their heads in the sand, whilst An Garda Siochana are allowed to continue as usual.

Goodness me, Regina Doherty proves her ability to put foot in mouth again.
    She call the Commissioner a 'role model'.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/minister-garda-commissioner-is-incredible-role-model-for-women-1.3215734

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Water John wrote: »
    Goodness me, Regina Doherty proves her ability to put foot in mouth again.
    She call the Commissioner a 'role model'.

Actually, Minster Doherty hit the nail on the head. She said Commissioner O'Sullivan is an "incredible" role model for women. She's absolutely right. The Commissioner is literally incredible - she has no credibility at all.

Report out today that says Noirin needs to make it in the job till November to secure a 300k lump sum and 100k a year pension. She might be holding on by her fingernails but god dammit she will be holding on !

And the taxpayer will be paying her a couple of million from now till the end of her days. Incompetency rewarded as usual, same old, same old.

The point in The Irish Examiner, that the reality is, the whole police force needs to be radically reformed.
    NOS going, should only be the first part of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Reports coming out that she's announced her retirement, didn't hear when exactly she plans to leave though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Reports coming out that she's announced her retirement, didn't hear when exactly she plans to leave though.

Immediately

Hope it becomes the opening for complete change.

Need to ask why now?

I presume she considered the whole issue whilst on her holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

ThisRegard wrote: »

She's gone today. I thought the timing of the latest revelations was to coincide with her returning from holidays.

I wonder how much this will cost us?

If I made such a mess of my job I doubt I'll be off into the sunset with my pockets stuffed with cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

As she states, the support for her to continue is evident. But its up to everyone to consider their own personal situation and decide when the time has come to retire, and she has taken the time to reflect on that over the summer and choose to spend more time with her family. 36 years is a fair stint. And she will give all the help she can to appointing the right successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Read this and let it sink in.....
    In a statement, Ms O’Sullivan said she was stepping down because the “unending cycle” of investigations and inquiries meant she could not devote enough time to bring about the “deep cultural and structural” reforms required to modernise An Garda.

Basically she couldn't save the guards from themselves because she was spending so much time in investigations about alleged malpractice amongst themselves.

Is she for real?
    And she will give all the help she can to appointing the right successor.

Someone else who knows where all the bodies are buried?

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Read this and let it sink in.....

Basically she couldn't save the guards from themselves because she was spending so much time in investigations about alleged malpractice amongst themselves.

Is she for real?

Yes. All the interference from pesky outsiders like the Public Accounts Committee, the Policing Authority, and the Justice and Equality Authority, getting in the way of her running her police force and looking after her boys.
    They made her position impossible, the rotters.

Delighted.
    Now put an outsider in and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Can she be compelled to attend the enquiry?

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Someone else who knows where all the bodies are buried?

Only a non Irish import who has never previously stepped foot in the state will do at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Only a non Irish import who has never previously stepped foot in the state will do at this stage.

Doubtful.

It should be someone from outside the jurisdiction, free from political influence or allegiance, but I doubt that will be the case.

Chance for real reforms of the Gardai now, and they should start with choosing such a commissioner.

I won't hold my breath though.

Advertisement