Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another dark dull cloudy day temp 18 so nice and mild but very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thanks Syran I'll take your word for it. I can vouch for the last week absolutely but don't remember it being very good before that especially.

Yes. The first two weeks of May was poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Nice here in S Wicklow partly cloudy
    17.4c currently

Peaked at 22c yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

OldRio wrote: »
    Yes. The first two weeks of May was poor.

No the first week of May was poor. The second week was mixed and very warm.

andrioolis wrote: »
    ups saw this post in daily forecast: "OUTLOOK ... Continued rather unsettled and slightly on the cool side most of next week. Another warm spell could follow in early August though. " fingers crossed it's gonna be sunny in Wexford!!!

Wexford is the sunniest county so of course there will be sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The ONLY TIME I recorded 13c or less during early July (1st 9 days in my definition) was back in 1997. Not even 2012 recorded such low temperatures at that point in the month even though it certainly felt like it.

ahh thought there might have been several days that cold during July 2012, my parents were lighting fires for much of that month.

Gonzo wrote: »
    ahh thought there might have been several days that cold during July 2012, my parents were lighting fires for much of that month.

I can see how you would think that.

1 July 1997 was my coldest July day on record. My maximum was only 12.2c that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

andrioolis wrote: »
    Hi, planning holidays in most expensive country - Ireland on the first week of August, is there any indications of good weather for this time? went through couple threads briefly and haven't seen anything for this time

Bring a coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Ah well that's summer over with for another year lol

I'm not going to answer to a comment like the above one again 'cause I am sick and tired of saying the same crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull and wet in Castlebar, 17.0C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most cloudy here with odd bit of sun, feeling little bit humid and quite warm, 20C.

Unless these sunny, showery days next week produce an average of 6 hours of sunshine each day, July will be unremarkably dull here. It is sunnier than 2015 already.

July 2015 (1st-31st): 112 hours of sunshine
    July 2016 (1st-20th): 116 hours of sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd be happy enough with this July in Dublin to be honest. A few scorcher days, but most importantly, I can only think of one entire washout day, and maybe 2-3 other days with any rain. sryanbruen, any stats on that?

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough with this July in Dublin to be honest. A few scorcher days, but most importantly, I can only think of one entire washout day, and maybe 2-3 other days with any rain. sryanbruen, any stats on that?

Well here are Grange's extremes for this July so far

Rainfall total: 21.8mm (43% of the LTA)
    Wettest day: 6.3mm on the 1st (my only day with 5mm or more and is so far, my third lowest maximum July daily rainfall on record)

Maximum temperature: 28.6c on the 19th (highest since 2013)
    Minimum temperature: 7.6c on the 3rd (highest since 2013)
    Mean temperature: 16.3c (+1.5c above the LTA, my warmest July since 2013)

Sunshine total: 116 hours (70% of the LTA) (so far, nothing remarkable as it is about average for this time of month)
    Sunniest day: 14.5 hours on the 19th (nothing remarkable)

General summary: "Very dry and warm with average sunshine"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think in Ireland you need a specific metric - Days with Noticeable Rain, ie. rain that falls for more than 5 minutes, not between 11pm and 6am or something like that.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think in Ireland you need a specific metric - Days with Noticeable Rain, ie. rain that falls for more than 5 minutes, not between 11pm and 6am or something like that.

And the 1st has been the only noticeably wet day here. Even the 2nd, another showery day wasn't that wet here.

July 2016 wet days and dry days quantity at Grange

Number of wet days (0.5mm or more): 9
    Number of dry days (0.4mm or less): 11

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

SW winds, 25C here and rising, feeling very warm once again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,160 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not sure what temp is around Galway but even in the breeze it's mild enough for shorts and t shirts so that will do !

after a very poor start to July this second half of July is really good and making up for the crap we had during first 10 days of this month.

Really nice here again, 22C but feels much warmer, feels every bit as warm as Tuesday did. the south-westerly breeze feels warmer than the easterly breeze did the other day.

• Advertisement

Drove from cork this evening torrential rain on motorway 17 degrees got home and was dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,160 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Not sure what temp is around Galway but even in the breeze it's mild enough for shorts and t shirts so that will do !

Got soaked 20 mins later

Today has been mostly cloudy though there have been some breaks with blue skies. It has been humid also with only 0.01mm of rainfall :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Peaked at 25.3C currently 22C, warm spell still going strong here. Sixth day over 25C this month, 14.4mm rain recorded here so far also, been a warm dry month.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭OldRio

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No the first week of May was poor. The second week was mixed and very warm.

Just a second. This local was poor.

OldRio wrote: »
    Just a second. This local was poor.

I don't know how..... for the first few days of the second week, the northwest (where Leitrim is) had the best weather.

10 May for example

Grange: 15.8mm of rainfall with 17.6c
    Belmullet: 0mm of rainfall with 21.0c

So far I have actually not seen a Summer quite comparable with 2016, it is its own season :pac:.

Miserable evening here now heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

dry in Castlebar (at the moment) , but cloudy with low cloud/mist on the hills. mild and humid.

• Advertisement

Kind of good news here! The jet stream will be over us for the week ahead BUT, it will be very weak. Thus, when depressions or low pressures come towards our shores, they will be very weak and not have much rain on them. Temperatures will be average also and sunshine is looking average also. It is looking like a very unremarkable week ahead but that's what I wanted!

Advertisement