Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Danno wrote: »
    CnuwnwmWEAAt7gv.jpg:large

Screen max 28.8c so far in South Laois...
    ill give you 28.75 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

One would presume the hottest temperatures in a day would happen around midday or so. But they seem to happen a lot later in the day, or am I taking things up wrong?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Clouding over from the south here after what was a mostly clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Accuweather would say we would get thunderstorms in Winter for god sake. Carnacalla, tell him please.

For what the weather is actually like outside it is usually way off the mark, but they use the closet met station to your location for temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Xenji wrote: »
    For what the weather is actually like outside it is usually way off the mark, but they use the closet met station to your location for temperatures.

Which is not very ACCUweather. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Accuweather would say we would get thunderstorms in Winter for god sake. Carnacalla, tell him please.

Ha, I wouldn't mind a bit of 2010 Thundersnow now (I'm not sure if Accu predicted that though ;) )

Funnily enough it was started in Penn State which has one of the best Meteorology departments in the world in the early 60's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much cooler conditions already into the very far south-west.

Funnily enough it was started in Penn State which has one of the best Meteorology departments in the world in the early 60's.

Well we're here now in the mid 2010s, so that's WAY BACK. Technology has advanced soooo much since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,740 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gonzo wrote: »
    much cooler conditions already into the very far south-west.

It may be cloudy but it's not cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Raining in Dungarvan Waterford

Well we're here now in the mid 2010s, so that's WAY BACK. Technology has advanced soooo much since then.

I think there is a good chance the department might not be trapped in the 60's, something about it still being the top rated department in the US...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭highdef

One would presume the hottest temperatures in a day would happen around midday or so. But they seem to happen a lot later in the day, or am I taking things up wrong?

Midday is generally not when the sun is at it's strongest and most definitely not when we are in summer time (BST/IST). Midday timewise is 12:00 as we all know but midday in terms of solar midday is later, when the sun reaches it's highest point. For example, today it was at 13:31 in Dublin. At that time, the sun reached the highest point in the sky but even after that, the heat still builds for several hours under clear skies and optimum conditions as the land/air is already pre-heated so it easier for the temperature to rise further than it is from first thing in the morning when it is naturally the coolest time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm reports,hot spot is Mullingar 26 degrees. cooling down in the west now, Claremorris back to 21 degrees, Newport 20 degrees,Shannon 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I think there is a good chance the department might not be trapped in the 60's, something about it still being the top rated department in the US...;)

Exactly, Xenji. And like said, how do we know the temps people post here are accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭pauldry

8pm reports,hot spot is Mullingar 26 degrees. cooling down in the west now, Claremorris back to 21 degrees, Newport 20 degrees,Shannon 20.

Sligo still 25c but now 22.6c as clouds hv rolled in

Why did Met Eireann deny the existance of cloud to the South

Satellite never lies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

They would appear to have been more concerned with breaking the 30 degree mark going by twitter posts etc, has been cloudy here since around 6pm with a rapid fall back in temperature although its still mild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

What a heavenly day!

I could have stayed in/at Lough Corrib all day long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still 24C here and 26C in Mullingar at 9pm, gonna be a warm night!

• Advertisement

Thunder rolling into Castlebar.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cloudy and breezy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Just outside car rack on suir. Met wire Ann rain radar shows rain but no rain

I can already see the thunderstorms in Sligo / Leitrim on the radar by the colours.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Most intense lightning storm I have seen in Castlebar in years currently, very dangerous conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Most intense lightning storm I have seen in Castlebar in years currently, very dangerous conditions.

Any pics ?

Thunder continous on and off for past 90 mins in sligo. Short video on my facebook paul weather. Still at it.

Id say go to 27 secs to see a good flash.

Me heads fried

Lightnin doesnt go well with me at all.

Sounds like a jumbo jets flying on the roof

Any pics ?

Will put up a video when it stops, over 100 strikes and still counting.

Will put up a video when it stops, over 100 strikes and still counting.

Same here...mostly flashes, a few sparks n short forks...easing now to just rain

• Advertisement

still 22C here at 11pm, rain edging closer.

Advertisement