Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temps into the low 20s again today locally (east Galway). Big difference from this day last year when maxima barely graced 13c.

Chart for this this day last year:

150602_1200_3.png

Much different to today, with the north Atlantic region under a much warmer set up.

160602_0000_15.png

A great spell of weather, but still not as warm as June 2nd 2009, when it reached about 29c here locally with 28.6c being officially recorded at NUIG on this day.

Charts from Vedur.is

New Moon

Carnacalla wrote: »
    AccuWeather is famously inaccurate, after 4 or 5 days they just go by averages, with no other factors put in.

If I was to go by Accuweather for my location, I would be getting thunderstorms here almost everyday. :o

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Nice comparison oneiric3

Here are my maximums on June 2nd for the past few years

2016: 21.2c
    2015: 15.9c
    2014: 16.3c
    2013: 16.6c
    2012: 14.9c
    2011: 20.8c
    2010: 21.2c
    2009: 25.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Has anyone ever noticed the destructive weather continental Europe gets anytime ireland gets any prolonged fine summer weather e.g severe thunderstorm,people being struck by lightning,torrential rains,flooding ,the louvre being closed...etc

It goes to show how much of an upset it is to the atmosphere over Europe and how abnormal fine weather over ireland is,and just how atrocious our weather is most of the time.so am I right in thinking that for the continental summer climate to function properly I.e to be pleasant sunny,warm and summer like ireland must suffer under the southwesterly atlantic regime most of the time.

25.8C and Relative Humidity% @29.3 in Castlebar today at 11:40AM. The highest for the year so far here followed by a 24.6C last Sunday and again on the 13th of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Has anyone ever noticed the destructive weather continental Europe gets anytime ireland gets any prolonged fine summer weather e.g severe thunderstorm,people being struck by lightning,torrential rains,flooding ,the louvre being closed...etc

It goes to show how much of an upset it is to the atmosphere over Europe and how abnormal fine weather over ireland is,and just how atrocious our weather is most of the time.so am I right in thinking that for the continental summer climate to function properly I.e to be pleasant sunny,warm and summer like ireland must suffer under the southwesterly atlantic regime most of the time.

A Scandinavian high would give us very warm/hot weather and good weather over most of Europe.
    The high is badly positioned right now for Europe, the low pressure over Europe wanted to push west but is being blocked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this is an extremely rare event with days on end of warm sunshine in Ireland and cold almost January temps in south-east of England and flooding.

Don't feel bad about it because the majority of times they have the high 20s and low 30s while we are struggling in the mid teens with drizzle, rain, wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I love it when the SE of England is sat in muck!

kevin-keegan-love-it.jpg

Gonzo wrote: »
    Don't feel bad about it because the majority of times they have the high 20s and low 30s while we are struggling in the mid teens with drizzle, rain, wind.

I wonder is this fine spell preluding something more ominous for the rest of the summer? Both June 2007 and 2009 started fine and warm and then...

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I wonder is this fine spell preluding something more ominous for the rest of the summer? Both June 2007 and 2009 started fine and warm and then...

Oh good point :eek::eek:. But June 2007 started off horrible also (I recorded up to 50mm already by the third day - 107% of my whole June LTA).

• Advertisement

I find it hilarious how Met Éireann say June 2015 (last year) was "Warm" :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:. Have a look at the bulletin headline.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2015-Jun.pdf

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oh good point :eek::eek:. But June 2007 started off horrible also (I recorded up to 50mm already by the third day - 107% of my whole June LTA).

True, but from the 3rd onwards, it became settled and very warm - for a time.

Chart for June 3 2007. High pressure built rapidly in after that sliding front which brought you all that rain.

387639.PNG

New Moon

I find it hilarious how Met Éireann say June 2015 (last year) was "Warm" :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:. Have a look at the bulletin headline.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2015-Jun.pdf

Going just be the first headline on that article, you'd be forgiven for thinking this met eireann report was exclusively for Dublin.

New Moon

Going just be the first headline on that article, you'd be forgiven for thinking this met eireann report was exclusively for Dublin.

Dublin was still colder than normal :confused:

Dublin was still colder than normal :confused:

Beats me! further down in that report the main focus is on the below normal temperatures that month. Very strange and misleading main headline in that report.

New Moon

Beats me! further down in that report the main focus is on the below normal temperatures that month. Very strange and misleading main headline in that report.

Yeah I enjoy reading their summaries but they seriously have to proofread them over. Like in the August 2011 summary, they show the July 2011 sunshine graph? In the December 2011 summary, they show the January 2011 sunshine graph?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon Airport reporting 20c at 21:30! Quite a warm evening in the Midwest. This compares with 11c at both Cork and Dublin.

Yeah I enjoy reading their summaries but they seriously have to proofread them over. Like in the August 2011 summary, they show the July 2011 sunshine graph? In the December 2011 summary, they show the January 2011 sunshine graph?

To be honest, I only glance over these reports at the end of each month and generally are very well written. I rarely if ever look at any of the charts though as the Valentia//Dublin Apt comparisons are pretty meaningless for much of the country, and certainly for my region.

New Moon

Oh wait I'm talking 'bout Met Éireann here. Sorry mods, you can move them to the Met Éireann thread and I will try not make this mistake again of posting in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Shannon Airport reporting 20c at 21:30! Quite a warm evening in the Midwest. This compares with 11c at both Cork and Dublin.
    It was nearly doing that last December. Still remember how amazing that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It;s baking in Athlone tonight. So warm. Like being in Spain or somewhere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It was nearly doing that last December. Still remember how amazing that was.

the warmest nights we've had in the east were probably last December and January, this current warm spell has had some chilly nights and temps struggling to get much past 10C, compare that to a couple of nights during mid winter where we had temps of 15C through the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I am loving this summer weather but I have to say I always enjoy Irish summers. It's not high temperatures that I look forward to, its the light. So many hours of light from dawn to dusk provide so many opportunities. Even the rain doesn't bother me as long as I tailor my activities to account for the rain.

I was in Dubai 2 weeks ago. The daily highs were nearly 40C and the lows were mid-20s...to put it simply, it was disgusting, sick. Even the water was too hot. I don't know how people want to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I was in Dubai 2 weeks ago. The daily highs were nearly 40C and the lows were mid-20s...to put it simply, it was disgusting, sick. Even the water was too hot. I don't know how people want to live there.
    You need to find a hotel with a refrigerated pool. In the early 80 's we used to go to the Al Ain Palace hotel in Abu Dhabi. At the time the only refrigerated pool in the region

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its a chilly 5c in Dublin Airport

Plus theres some menacing cloud rolling down from Scotland booooo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's actually warmed up at Cork! Now 12c there and at Shannon, with a chilly 4c at Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its been a good week,

but a good week doesn't make a good summer, its still early days...lets not get carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks to be a good deal of cloud quickly building in the south east and up the the east towards Dublin. A spoiler for the day for many, perhaps?

highdef wrote: »
    Looks to be a good deal of cloud quickly building in the south east and up the the east towards Dublin. A spoiler for the day for many, perhaps?

Yeah I have two different sides: An overcast side to the left and a blue sky to the right :pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Dublin :)

Advertisement