Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Hardly a cloud in the sky here
    A lot cooler than normal so far today at 13.9c
    Gorgeous though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think at this stage we can officially say that...its been a sh!t summer :(

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A mostly sunny start in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

fryup wrote: »

No nobody has said it's been a **** summer except you (and KM-79), we all know it's average.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I agree

• Advertisement

Nothing sh1t about this morning in S Wicklow,like most in July
    Glorious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I concur an average Irish summer which I'm afraid is pretty rubbish. Glad it's turned out well for our Wicklow co tinge the but we've had heavy rain here the last 30 mins again. It's 16 degrees overcast and damp which is average I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Just an awful **** dreary day in cork city ,dark cloudy the usual.

Rubbish summer

i did notice for the last few years that any sun in cork city usually comes around 5pm-7pm

I'm just going to stop trying to talk sense into the people that saying this is a rubbish Summer. And no I'm not talking about how lucky us people in the east have been (June fine spell wasn't as good here, in fact one of the least fine spells I have seen), I'm talking about comparing Summer 2016 with summers like 1997, 1998, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2015. :mad:

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm just going to stop trying to talk sense into the people that saying this is a rubbish Summer. And no I'm not talking about how lucky us people in the east have been (June fine spell wasn't as good here, in fact one of the least fine spells I have seen), I'm talking about comparing Summer 2016 with summers like 1997, 1998, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2015. :mad:

I feel your frustration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm hardly the only one who feels the tensions rising in this thread.

Anyway something has to be said about the unpredictably of Mondays weather, it went from lashing rain to dry and back to lashing rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I cannot agree. I've been out and about a lot more this summer than last.
    I've always found nice windows for plenty of walking, swimming, trekking, cycling, fishing etc.

A summer is what you make of it. Embrace the light before it's gone :)

sryanbruen, would I be right in saying that the rainfall amounts are a lot less this summer than last?
    I've done about 4 hours of gardening this morning and the ground, grass, shrubs seem quite dry.

It's been better than last summer definitley warmer and drier but still very dull overcast and cloudy. I guess it varies depending on location and expectation.

I cannot agree. I've been out and about a lot more this summer than last.
    I've always found nice windows for plenty of walking, swimming, trekking, cycling, fishing etc.

A summer is what you make of it. Embrace the light before it's gone :)

sryanbruen, would I be right in saying that the rainfall amounts are a lot less this summer than last?
    I've done about 4 hours of gardening this morning and the ground, grass, shrubs seem quite dry.

Well Summer is not over yet but if you compare June 2016 with July 2015 then in most places July 2015 was wetter. June 2015 had one station with above average rainfall whilst July 2016 has been very variable. Let's see my rainfall totals up to the 30th of July in both years

2015: 97.2mm
    2016: 106.3mm

This is a very shocking result but not so at the same time. Here's why 2016 is higher than 2015 YET 2015 had a wetter month with the highest total.

Look at my rainfall totals

June 2015: 15.4mm
    July 2015: 81.2mm

June 2016: 78.9mm
    July 2015: 26.4mm

So this is kind of confusing but August will really decide which Summer is better in terms of rainfall.

Summer 2015 had a soggy July AND August. Summer 2016 has had a soggy June so far but July has been very variable. If August is dry and we are overdue one at this stage, then Summer 2016 will definitely be drier.

So I'm afraid, I have to say you're incorrect due to my statistics (others feel free to show yours and how Summer 2015 and 2016 compare) but it really depends on the station tbh due to Ireland's variation of extremes.

When I think of the summers, I feel like Summer 2015 was wetter but statistics don't say so.

DAMN YOU STATISTICS :pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I would say the Dublin area has had an above average summer, quite pleasant at times, very dry, not very sunny, but warm and not too windy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I love nothing more than putting on the neanderthal vest,quick silver shorts and flip flops and walking in the pissing rain on a beach....
    The mist and rain combined with sea spray does wonders to the skin and senses.

May spray when the sun don't shine.....

It's been better than last summer definitley warmer and drier but still very dull overcast and cloudy. I guess it varies depending on location and expectation.

Summer 2015 had 101% of the LTA sunshine at my station which was very surprising as it felt very dull. July was the second dullest in my records but June and August were unremarkably sunnier than normal.

Summer 2016 so far up to the LTA of this point (up to 30 July) has had 86% of the LTA sunshine at my station which may seem quite low and it is but 2002 had a much lower LTA by this point (only 67%!!). June and July have been both duller than normal but not remarkably so.

So Summer 2016 has been the duller and wetter one in comparison with 2015 (there's still plenty of awful summers that were worse though).

A bit of optimism for Summer 2016 is the mean temperature though. Summer 2016 has definitely been warmer than normal with my difference of LTA currently at +2.0c above the LTA, otherwise my second warmest Summer on record, WOW. June was much warmer than normal in many places with the warm spell at the beginning and the warm nights being a large factor in making this. July has been a strange one with a very cool start then a humid spell, mostly in the east and average temperatures then a hot spell and now average or slightly below average temperatures. July looks to be slightly above average or something similar to 2005 which also recorded 30c at one point in the month (the 11th/12th).

If La Nina will be a strong one, do you think we'll get a Summer similar to 2012 in 2017? I HOPE NOT.

The week ahead doesn't look too bad at all.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The week ahead doesn't look too bad at all.

Where?

• Advertisement

Where?

I only see Monday as crap and Tuesday FOR SOME.

ME saying cool and showery for the week.

ME saying cool and showery for the week.

Yeah even Met Éireann think 18-20c (expected here, I don't know about you) is cool, they're not, that's above average. And the showery conditions are still 10x better than the exceptionally wet conditions I recorded in the second half of August last year - particularly on the 23rd. As long as it's warm, I don't mind a bit of rain at all. I do not like cool and wet, I do not like warm and dry. I know I'm a strange person, don't rub it in haha.

Rainfall this month (July 2016) has been very variable indeed. The Isle of Wight has had its driest July on record with one such station, St Catherine's Point only recording 1.4mm of rainfall this month. In contrast, Stornoway in Scotland has had its third wettest July on record with 140.0mm with only July 1939 and 1988 wetter. Across southeastern England, they have had their sixth driest July on record.

But a rare occurrence is the fact that not only have rainfall totals been below normal in places, sunshine totals have been below normal at the same time. In my records, these are some of the only months that I have recorded drier and duller than normal (Summer months wise):

- July 2016
    - August 2013
    - August 2011 (July 2011 was actually sunny here but you can consider this as a month for many)
    - August 2006
    - June 2005 (If it weren't for 2 very wet days, July 2005 would also be here)
    - July 2003 (though many places were quite wet)
    - August 2002
    - June 2001

As you can see, it gets rarer and rarer.

In parts of Scotland, sunshine has been exceptionally low with places reaching only 38% of their LTA average sunshine, potentially their dullest July on record.

Meanwhile, in the rest of the UK, totals have been much less remarkable around 70-90%, much like my station.

This division in the UK actually ties in with how June was. June 2016 was one of the dullest in England's records whilst some parts of Kent had their dullest June on record with less than 100 hours of sunshine all month. At the same time, they also had one of their wettest Junes on record - though not nearly as wet as 2012. Scotland was drier than normal with close to average sunshine. Here in July, it is the exact opposite. In Ireland, however, this does not comply as everywhere has been very variable through both months.

2016 has not shown any "extreme" months yet though of course some stations have broken some records like Belmullet has had its warmest June on record.

January - Very wet, mild and dull. There have been even wetter, milder and duller Januarys though.

February - Wet, cool and sunny. There have been wetter, cooler and sunnier Februarys though.

March - Dry, cold and sunny. There have been drier, colder and sunnier Marches.

April - Very variable rainfall and sunshine but cold. There have been worse or better.

May - Mostly dry, warm and sunny. There have been drier, warmer and sunnier Mays.

June - Rather wet, dull and warm. There have been wetter, duller and warmer in most places.

July - Very variable rainfall but dull and slightly mild. There have been worse or better.

Do you want an extreme month to happen? If so... what month do you think? A record dry and warm September (like 2014) or a record cold December (like 2010)?

Lovely day overall
    Peaked shy of 20 though at 19.7c
    But it's still currently 17.2c

We need rain here,ground is parched
    Tomorrow hopefully will bring a drop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Lovely day overall
    Peaked shy of 20 though at 19.7c
    But it's still currently 17.2c

We need rain here,ground is parched
    Tomorrow hopefully will bring a drop

Are you living in the Med ?

No he's not, I'm having similar conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Actually the east coast isn't doing too badly this summer, I'm amazed how many days I have had temps above 20c even when we are under the influence of bog standard westerly or north westerly airflows, I even recorded a max of 20.3c today.
    I am becoming increasingly optimistic looking at the recent model output, they are all showing the Azores building but not great if you are living in the west and especially the north west.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016073112/ECM1-144.GIF?31-0

• Advertisement

A southwesterly land breeze under the Azores high :eek: In Arklow that would be rather hot :D

Advertisement