Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doping in GAA - Jim Gavin not happy with post match drug testing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Could you imagine no drug testing in any of the big finals at the Olympics, Champions League, World Cup etc. It would become a massive free for all for those willing to dope. How does that protect clean athletes? It doesn't. It's a truly ludicrous suggestion.

Erm did I say that they shouldn't test thoughout events? No I said int he immediate aftermath of finals.

So basically the Olympics lasts for about a month or whatever. I'm suggesting that the 100m sprinters don't get tested for one afternoon straight after the race. Test them that morning, test them the day before, the day after whatever, just not immediately after the finals. Is this somehow hard for you to understand?

Honestly though I'd be less concerned about the feeling of professional athletes because for them testing is part of their job, for amateurs it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Incredible comments from Jim Gavin. So the GAA is somehow exempt to the anti-doping procedures set down by WADA, implemented by the Irish Sports Council? Athletes in track and field in Ireland have to give samples after a race. They don't complain. They just get on with it. And guess what, almost all of them are amateurs as well. Anti-doping is there to protect the integrity of top level sport, whether that is amateur or professional. Could you imagine the uproar if our Olympians said they didn't want to give a drug sample immediately after their race/event, but would rather give it a few days later or earlier! Simple fact of the matter is, if you have nothing to hide, you shut up and just get on with it. Silly silly shameful comments by Jim Gavin. If the GAA doesn't want to follow the anti-doping procedures that other sports in Ireland follow then they can give back that Irish Sports Council funding, as I believe following the anti-doping procedures is a requirement of funding.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/jim-gavin-hits-out-at-drug-tests-straight-after-title-victory-394853.html

Add this to last year's comments by Bernard Brogan about how he opposed the introduction of blood testing (far more accurate than urine testing) makes me believe that they see themselves above other sports and don't feel the need to follow the procedures that others sportspeople in Ireland follow.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/bernard-brogan-gaa-blood-testing-a-step-too-far-372014.html

Having to give a sample post match or race is a pain, but it's what is needed to help protect the integrity of sport. When people give out about being drug tested it only adds suspicion that they have something to hide!

Comments like these are very disappointing to read.
    Totally agree. Very disappointing comments. Having to give a sample day or two after is nonsense and sure whats the point. If a player was guilty they could certainly clear any substance taken out of their system.
    Jayop wrote: »
    I don't see them as silly or shameful. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. These lads work so hard for the few moments like winning a final that to be taken away for a drugs test straight after must be pure ****e.
    It may be ****e for the players but better for the tests to be there then just potentially allow any player get away with taking performance enhancing substances
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    They could easily test players during training, or the next day. It doesn't have to be on the day of the event.
    That allows potential manipulation and players could clear their system of any performance enhancing substances. It does have to be the day of the event for specific testing like that. There can also be random testing on other days but you need on the day spot testing of players.
    Why are you obsessing with the GAA? I'm saying that post match/race testing in any sport, especially amateur sports and especially finals is OTT in my opinion. The tests could easily have been done the day before or after and could have been just as effective.
    It isn't OTT at all. What's the point of doing a test the day before or after a final and then the player could simply either take substance or clear their system of any illegal substance varying on whether test was before/after game?
    Who's saying do it to suit the individuals?

It's quite simple really. Top level GAA players play a maximum of 3 big finals a year, most play none. That's 3 days a year where you can leave them alone win lose or draw.

These guys are giving their time for nothing so they should be accommodated as much as possible.
    That is in no way a good enough excuse for top level athletes not to be tested
    But I've said a few times I'm not limiting that to GAA. The same thing should apply in the immediate aftermath of the biggest events in a year. If they want to test someone test them the day before or after. Show some respect to the athletes.
    What about showing respect for all the clean athletes that we have testing in place to catch any cheats?

Choochtown wrote: »
    The testing must be done immediately after the match.

Imagine a doper being asked for a test the night before ...
    "We were keeping it from the media but I'm injured and won't be playing tomorrow"

Imagine a doper being asked for a test the day after.
    "I've just retired"

Scenario 1 - Test them anyway.
    Scenario 2 - make it against the rules for them to say they're retired and strip them of the title they just won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Erm did I say that they shouldn't test thoughout events? No I said int he immediate aftermath of finals.

So basically the Olympics lasts for about a month or whatever. I'm suggesting that the 100m sprinters don't get tested for one afternoon straight after the race. Test them that morning, test them the day before, the day after whatever, just not immediately after the finals. Is this somehow hard for you to understand?

Honestly though I'd be less concerned about the feeling of professional athletes because for them testing is part of their job, for amateurs it's not.

I think you are either stringing this thread along or you have a poor understanding of drugs in sport and who is a professional athlete / sports person and who is an amateur. In boxing for example both an amateur and professional sport, two different sports some would argue, I would guess that testing is virtually non existent in the professional game as opposed to the amateur sport.

I think you are either stringing this thread along or you have a poor understanding of drugs in sport and who is a professional athlete / sports person and who is an amateur. In boxing for example both an amateur and professional sport, two different sports some would argue, I would guess that testing is virtually non existent in the professional game as opposed to the amateur sport.

Think what you like. I've stated a pretty simple opinion that I've yet to hear a good reason as to why it can't work apart from smart arse accusations that I don't understand this or that without actually any explanation as to why I'm wrong.

The reference to professional athletes was because the post I quoted has said..."Olympics, Champions League, World Cup".

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a great deal of professionals participating in the World Cup and Champions League?

Perhaps if you looked for the context in something rather than assume you're much smarter and all knowing than someone then you'd not look so pompous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Choochtown wrote: »
    Imagine a doper being asked for a test the day after.
    "I've just retired"

That's just silly, a player could declare themselves retired immediately after a game too if they wished.

One day one will, and will be persuaded to return subsequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This intrusive testing is a can of worms. Eventually someone will just refuse and his team mates will support him.

And they all should be prevented playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Some ridiculous comments on here. Jim Gavin is NOT against drug testing. He simply questioned the timing of the players having to give a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Some ridiculous comments on here. Jim Gavin is NOT against drug testing. He simply questioned the timing of the players having to give a sample.
    4 players out of probably 40 is a small price to pay, the alternative would be a free for all on match day and then clear the system out before the testers call whenever. Not a deterrent at all and if anything dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You show a breath taking lack of knowledge on the subject of PEDs, somewhat similar to Jim Gavin. Fortunately for you drug testing is not an issue for you. However it is an issue for Jim Gavin and his players. He has a responsibility to fully inform himself on the subject and not make statements which, at best, are misinformed.
    An inter county player tested positive last year. If anyone thinks he is the only bad apple they need to take their head out of the sand. PEDs are now easily accessible to the general public. Players at the top of their sport, be they amateur or professional, tend to be driven individuals who are always looking for an extra edge.
    Drug testing is essential in sport and should be welcomed by any right thinking individual. The ISC have a drug testing programme that we can be proud of and Irish sport in general is clean. People like Jim Gavin, in a position of responsibility, should welcome all efforts to keep his sport relatively drug free.

• Advertisement

You show a breath taking lack of knowledge on the subject of PEDs, somewhat similar to Jim Gavin. Fortunately for you drug testing is not an issue for you. However it is an issue for Jim Gavin and his players. He has a responsibility to fully inform himself on the subject and not make statements which, at best, are misinformed.
    An inter county player tested positive last year. If anyone thinks he is the only bad apple they need to take their head out of the sand. PEDs are now easily accessible to the general public. Players at the top of their sport, be they amateur or professional, tend to be driven individuals who are always looking for an extra edge.
    Drug testing is essential in sport and should be welcomed by any right thinking individual. The ISC have a drug testing programme that we can be proud of and Irish sport in general is clean. People like Jim Gavin, in a position of responsibility, should welcome all efforts to keep his sport relatively drug free.

Wonderful. Yet another post telling me how little I know whilst not correcting a single thing I said. Is there any single reason that the testing couldn't be done either in the morning of the game or the following morning?

I've said already that I don't know any reason why and other than be told be several pretty obnoxious sounding posts that I was clueless and didn't know anything about PED's or the difference between a professional and an amateur (which was the most idiotic post in here) they still haven't told me why I'm wrong.

Wonderful. Yet another post telling me how little I know whilst not correcting a single thing I said. Is there any single reason that the testing couldn't be done either in the morning of the game or the following morning?

I've said already that I don't know any reason why and other than be told be several pretty obnoxious sounding posts that I was clueless and didn't know anything about PED's or the difference between a professional and an amateur (which was the most idiotic post in here) they still haven't told me why I'm wrong.
    As I said it's not your responsibility to know but it is Jim Gavin's.
    A little research on micro dosing will open your eyes.

A very basic explanation

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/microdosing-the-new-trend-in-sports-doping/article3710793.ece

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And they all should be prevented playing.

So some of this crap goes on at the semi final and the team refues to play, what are they going to do cancel the All ireland final and several million Euro in Revenue. All for doping procedures designed for drug infested sports like Athletics and run by the Irish Sports Council whose aim is to promote those drug infested sports? Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

GAA is an amateur sport.

There is no financial incentive to dope.

These players give up there time and skill for the love of the game and the pride in the jersey. Many of them cant walk in their mid to late 30's through damage done to knees etc from their dedication for their County.

And Finally, change the title, its a deliberate sensational tabloid banner headline that misrepresents what Jim Gavin actually said.
    It was the timing that annoyed him. There was a Laochra show on after the "show" that the players put on.

A bit of perspective please.

So some of this crap goes on at the semi final and the team refues to play, what are they going to do cancel the All ireland final and several million Euro in Revenue. All for doping procedures designed for drug infested sports like Athletics and run by the Irish Sports Council whose aim is to promote those drug infested sports? Yeah, right.
    Surely if an inter county player has nothing to hide they would have no reason to refuse a test.
    Like it or not the GAA have signed up to the ISC drugs testing programme. As a result every GAA player is responsible for any substance they put into their body. They are also obliged to co operate with the testers. Failure to do so is automatically regarded as a positive test and a ban is then automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So we have an athletics afficiendo bellyaching about the GAA? Jesus there's something I've absolutely never seen before, I am truly shocked

Bambi wrote: »
    So we have an athletics afficiendo bellyaching about the GAA? Jesus there's something I've absolutely never seen before, I am truly shocked
    An equally we have GAA supporters circling the wagons.
    GAA is relatively drugs free, as is Irish athletics. The ISC help it remain that way with their drug testing programme. Any genuine fan should welcome testing, there is nothing to fear if you are clean.

Keep your head in the sand so if you believe that GAA is pure as the driven snow.

But unlike your insinuations to the contrary no-one is saying they don't welcome testing, just that the timing on certain occasions could take other things into account. Sorry now if we're not as well versed on the in's and out's of PED's as you athletics boys (good reason for that eh??) but I've yet to have a single person explain why they couldn't do the test just before the game or the following morning. I was insulted and given a link to the Hindu Times but I think I'd prefer something I could hang my hat on.

STB. wrote: »
    GAA is an amateur sport.

There is no financial incentive to dope.
    A bit of perspective please.

People don't just dope or cheat for financial gain ffs. How naive are people?

• Advertisement

GAA is relatively drugs free, as is Irish athletics...now

:D

If a GAA player deserves a few hours to enjoy a big win then they can have a few hours without being tested. Its not like the sport is a cesspit of Olympic level cheating

But unlike your insinuations to the contrary no-one is saying they don't welcome testing, just that the timing on certain occasions could take other things into account. Sorry now if we're not as well versed on the in's and out's of PED's as you athletics boys (good reason for that eh??) but I've yet to have a single person explain why they couldn't do the test just before the game or the following morning. I was insulted and given a link to the Hindu Times but I think I'd prefer something I could hang my hat on.
    Let's try this one more time

“What you’re doing is taking a small amount to give you a little bit extra for the event, and then hopefully it will go through your body so that by the time you finish the event it won’t come out in your urine or your blood. That’s what they hope,”

Wouldn't be much point in testing the morning after now would there?

Bambi wrote: »

These people don't understand the game, the types of people who play it and why they do it. GAA is unique.

The players have day jobs. They come from all walks of life both private and public sector. Some are serving gardai.

A positive dope test (for anything even being in the presence of recreational drugs) could not alone effect their ability to play in the sport but also their livelyhood as well.

Surely if an inter county player has nothing to hide they would have no reason to refuse a test.

They may feel the manner of test intrusive and unnecessary.
    Like it or not the GAA have signed up to the ISC drugs testing programme.

Perhaps, that should be changed.

Let's try this one more time

“What you’re doing is taking a small amount to give you a little bit extra for the event, and then hopefully it will go through your body so that by the time you finish the event it won’t come out in your urine or your blood. That’s what they hope,”

Wouldn't be much point in testing the morning after now would there?

See, if you'd just discuss the thing without the condescending tone or the obvious chip on your shoulder we'd get somewhere.

Now, in order to try something "one more time" you'll have had to try it before and since that's the first time someone has given any explanation as to why they need to do post match tests then I don't think "one more time" was really warranted now, do you?

So test them before the game, test them at fecking half time, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

STB. wrote: »
    These people don't understand the game, the types of people who play it and why they do it. GAA is unique.

The players have day jobs. They come from all walks of life both private and public sector. Some are serving gardai.

A positive dope test (for anything even being in the presence of recreational drugs) could not alone effect their ability to play in the sport but also their livelyhood as well.

Do you really believe that this is any different to boxers, swimmers, athletes and many other amateur sports people? So why should drug testing be any different too?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    People don't just dope or cheat for financial gain ffs. How naive are people?

Ah I am guessing you actually play or have played the game to throw around the word naive.

You better explain to me why some amateur gaa player would want to dope.
    Do you really believe that this is any different to boxers, swimmers, athletes and many other amateur sports people? So why should drug testing be any different too?

Are you another who has never played the game yet claims to understand it ?

These people have days jobs. They take nothing from the game. The game takes everything from them. Its not an international competitive sport that requires drug testing like athletics or cycling or boxing.

Well they're different to swimmers and runners anyway

Hurlers, Footballers, Rugby Players. For them being an athlete is just a base line for playing their sport, hence the term "player"

For the Citius Fortius Altius lads it's all there is, hence the term "athletics" :D

Also explains why those pursuits love their PEDs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

See, if you'd just discuss the thing without the condescending tone or the obvious chip on your shoulder we'd get somewhere.

Now, in order to try something "one more time" you'll have had to try it before and since that's the first time someone has given any explanation as to why they need to do post match tests then I don't think "one more time" was really warranted now, do you?

So test them before the game, test them at fecking half time, whatever.

Why should GAA be different to every other sport world wide ?

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    Why should GAA be different to every other sport world wide ?

GAA is not an international sport.

It is mainly limited to this island and played on a non paid basis as a heritage sport.

There is no international competition.

There is no European or World body governing it, like with other sports.

But dope testing does exist. In terms of testing GAA is the third most tested sport in Ireland. Why ? Because the GAA (the organisation) have entered into agreements with the Irish Sports Council to do so as the organisation receives grants, not the players.

In 15 years, you can count on two fingers the numbers who have turned up positive tests which were as a result of using a Ventolin inhaler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement