Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League Final : Dublin V Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Bambi wrote: »
    What in the lord lamping jaysus is this laochra gael nonsense, its like something the simpsons would come out with

Polar opposite opinion.Excellent fare,celebrates all that is wonderful about our culture and heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wasn't there only 2 points in it when O'Mahony was sent off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

doc_17 wrote: »
    Wasn't there only 2 points in it when O'Mahony was sent off?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seligehgit wrote: »
    Polar opposite opinion.Excellent fare,celebrates all that is wonderful about our culture and heritage.

I turned off around the time the flamenco dancers were poncing around do some LARP cucullan renactment

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Bambi wrote: »
    What in the lord lamping jaysus is this laochra gael nonsense, its like something the simpsons would come out with

Tis cat entirely.we should't do stuff like this cause we're terrible at it. Thank feck we'll never have to do an Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I really just don't understand why referees cant seem to give a penalty when Donaghy is pulled to the ground! It happened in the final last September and again today and I thought were as blatant if not more than Dublin's today.

People will come out with the lazy and idiotic arguments that he isn't likable or that he's 'always at it', which by the way is well overplayed, but a foul is a foul no matter what. If that was the case then Connolly, McMahon and Johnny Cooper would probably not be awarded a free for the entirety of the season.

I thought the ref was poor today and was way too whistle happy.

Dublin played well within themselves for large parts and in all fairness are just better than us at the moment. Flynn was just idiotic looking to trash talk after giving away a free at the end and is becoming a real weak link in that Dubs team.

My 25/1 bet on Kilkenny to win FOTY is shaping up quite nicely and the boy really is a special talent- his main competition will be Brogan in my eyes- who I really want to dislike but just cant due to his immense ability and the fact that he always delivers for his team. On the note of praising Dub players- Fenton is a really special talent.

The booing of players today, mainly Donaghy, just leaves a sour taste in the mouth and tars the Dublin fans with a bad rep- that crap needs to be self policed as its pathetic and embarrassing.

O Mahoney is a clown and should be dropped off the panel for such idiotic behaviour. Kerry substitutions today were odd as I thought both O Brien and Griffin shouldnt have gone off- but I could be wrong.

I thought overall Kerry did well for long periods but we are just a little bit behind Dublin at the moment- congrats and fair play to them as they are the best team in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I really just don't understand why referees cant seem to give a penalty when Donaghy is pulled to the ground! It happened in the final last September and again today and I thought were as blatant if not more than Dublin's today.

People will come out with the lazy and idiotic arguments that he isn't likable or that he's 'always at it', which by the way is well overplayed, but a foul is a foul no matter what. If that was the case then Connolly, McMahon and Johnny Cooper would probably not be awarded a free for the entirety of the season.

I thought the ref was poor today and was way too whistle happy.

Dublin played well within themselves for large parts and in all fairness are just better than us at the moment. Flynn was just idiotic looking to trash talk after giving away a free at the end and is becoming a real weak link in that Dubs team.

My 25/1 bet on Kilkenny to win FOTY is shaping up quite nicely and the boy really is a special talent- his main competition will be Brogan in my eyes- who I really want to dislike but just cant due to his immense ability and the fact that he always delivers for his team. On the note of praising Dub players- Fenton is a really special talent.

The booing of players today, mainly Donaghy, just leaves a sour taste in the mouth and tars the Dublin fans with a bad rep- that crap needs to be self policed as its pathetic and embarrassing.

O Mahoney is a clown and should be dropped off the panel for such idiotic behaviour. Kerry substitutions today were odd as I thought both O Brien and Griffin shouldnt have gone off- but I could be wrong.

I thought overall Kerry did well for long periods but we are just a little bit behind Dublin at the moment- congrats and fair play to them as they are the best team in the country

Nothing wrong with that. Donaghy isn't exactly the most sporting of players so he has to be able to take it.

I've never had a problem with booing it gets the fans more involved if they can potentially put off a player by booing him and it's fairly harmless thing to be doing in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with that. Donaghy isn't exactly the most sporting of players so he has to be able to take it.

I've never had a problem with booing it gets the fans more involved if they can potentially put off a player by booing him and it's fairly harmless thing to be doing in my opinion.

It's classless, childish and fairly pathetic.
    A bit of respect should be shown for your opponents- booing frees falls under the same category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A bit of respect should be shown for your opponents- booing frees falls under the same category

It's not that big a deal and if it potentially puts off the opposition I don't see the harm in it.It happens in every single team sport in the world so it's foolish to think it wouldn't or shouldn't happen in the GAA and that we would be more respectful that every other type of sports fan in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

A bit of respect should be shown for your opponents- booing frees falls under the same category Shaking the hands of your opponents when you have been played off the park instead of fighting after the game is the gentlemanly thing to do.

I fixed that for you. Donaghy was booed for his antics on the field. Sheehan was like a five year old at the end of that game. Bad loser.

Dublin scored 2-14 from play.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    I fixed that for you.

Dublin scored 2-14 from play.

No need to fix it and if you're going to do so then include context.
    Flynn gave away a free with a couple of wild, closed fist attempts at a tackle at the end and then continued to goad Sheehan afterward.

At least try be accurate when attempting to go on the wind up

It's not that big a deal and if it potentially puts off the opposition I don't see the harm in it.It happens in every single team sport in the world so it's foolish to think it wouldn't or shouldn't happen in the GAA and that we would be more respectful that every other type of sports fan in the world.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one mate.

No need to fix it and if you're going to do so then include context.
    Flynn gave away a free with a couple of wild, closed fist attempts at a tackle at the end and then continued to goad Sheehan afterward.

At least try be accurate when attempting to go on the wind up

The context and accuracy is correct.

There were 3 Kerrymen yellow carded in the last few minutes for their frustration at Dublin keeping the ball.

The game was over at that stage.

Sheehan frustrations continued after the final whistle sounded. Bad loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Donaghy needs to be raped to win a free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

thesultan wrote: »
    Donaghy needs to be raped to win a free.

He did a fair bit of raping himself today.

The context and accuracy is correct.

There were 3 Kerrymen yellow carded in the last few minutes for their frustration at Dublin keeping the ball.

The game was over at that stage.

Sheehan frustrations continued after the final whistle sounded. Bad loser.

You didn't provide any context so it cant be accurate and correct.
    And attempting to brush over the booing by partially explaining an on-field incident is just fictitious.

You didn't provide any context so it cant be accurate and correct.
    And attempting to brush over the booing by partially explaining an on-field incident is just fictitious.

The context is that you cannot see the irony in what you posted and the behaviour of your own players.

If "Star" concentrated on his football rather than trying to cream players off the ball and throwing tantrums with the ref he might make an average player.

Sheehan simply let the veil slip fighting after a game, lost by 11 points. He'll be disappointed in himself.

The context is that you cannot see the irony in what you posted and the behaviour of your own players.

If "Star" concentrated on his football rather than trying to cream players off the ball and throwing tantrums with the ref he might make an average player.

Sheehan simply let the veil slip fighting after a game, lost by 11 points. He'll be disappointed in himself.

Once again- your partial telling of an incident doesn't accurately lend itself to your accusations of irony as you have completely left out the context (a word I'm not sure you fully grasp from how it was used above) and it seemed quite clear that Flynn was goading just before and after the final whistle. But sure don't let the facts, etc stop you from making an argument.

Donaghy might make an average player? Haha, excellent- he's won a player of the year and performed on the big stage for Kerry regularly so don't let some petty and personal hatred get in the way of the facts. I'd imagine when people look back on his career that he will be viewed as more than average and that is shown by the marking system Dublin regularly apply when he goes inside

Once again- your partial telling of an incident doesn't accurately lend itself to your accusations of irony as you have completely left out the context (a word I'm not sure you fully grasp from how it was used above) and it seemed quite clear that Flynn was goading just before and after the final whistle. But sure don't let the facts, etc stop you from making an argument.

Donaghy might make an average player? Haha, excellent- he's won a player of the year and performed on the big stage for Kerry regularly so don't let some petty and personal hatred get in the way of the facts. I'd imagine when people look back on his career that he will be viewed as more than average and that is shown by the marking system Dublin regularly apply when he goes inside

Jeez your posts are as bad as Sheehan antics after the game. Two of yis at it. :) The context is that you posted about having "respect for your opponents" and yet your own players couldn't do it after the final whistle blew.

You reckon former all star Paul Flynn was trash talking ? You know this how ? Either way this explains Sheehan's conduct after the game ? Ignore the behaviour and look for an excuse seems your whatabouttery which is fairly pathetic.

And Donaghy, the incessant trash talker of them all hasn't been a factor in Kerry GAA since 2011. Many thought he had retired :) He spends his time these days whinging to the referee.

Once Again, Get Over Yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Wasn't even just during the match, it continued when Cluxton was giving his speech. Very poor form from supposed fans.

• Advertisement

Jeez your posts are as bad as Sheehan antics after the game. Two of yis at it. :)

You reckon former all star Paul Flynn was trash talking ? You know this how ? Either way this explains Sheehan's conduct after the game ? Ignore the behaviour and look for an excuse seems your whatabouttery which is fairly pathetic.

And Donaghy, the incessant trash talker of them all hasn't been a factor in Kerry GAA since 2011. Many had thought he had retired :) He spends his time these days whinging to the referee.

Ha- whatabouttery? Now thats ironic considering your attempts to gloss over the booing is to question Sheehan at the games end.

On Donaghy not being a factor since 2011- I can see that I'm not really dealing with someone with a extensive knowledge of recent GAA events here so i'll just post this link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/2014-gaa-football-all-stars-1.1973162

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Jeez your posts are as bad as Sheehan antics after the game. Two of yis at it. :) The context is that you posted about having "respect for your opponents" and yet your own players couldn't do it after the final whistle blew.

And Donaghy, the incessant trash talker of them all hasn't been a factor in Kerry GAA since 2011. Many thought he had retired :) He spends his time these days whinging to the referee.

Pretty important in the 2014 All Ireland win imo, also fairly hand for Austin Stacks in winning Munster club the same year if memory serves me right.

Ha- whatabouttery? Now thats ironic considering your attempts to gloss over the booing is to question Sheehan at the games end.

On Donaghy not being a factor since 2011- I can see that I'm not really dealing with someone with a extensive knowledge of recent GAA events here so i'll just post this link:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/2014-gaa-football-all-stars-1.1973162

Loved the put down attempts!

Nah, I have a pretty extensive knowledge of GAA and played at a high level myself.

I think he played 3 times in 2014, one as a sub, so I wasn't alone. It was Malachy Clerkin in The Irish Times that referred to him as an incessant trash talker, by the way. He confirmed that when he famously roared What do you think of that Joe Brolly on TV.

He may be a legend in your own town, but he wouldn't get on the Dublin team. :)

Sure we might see ya's later in the year. Kerry have some work to do though.

Nah, I have a pretty extensive knowledge of GAA and played at a high level myself.

I think he played 3 times in 2014, one as a sub, so I wasn't alone.

We have a decent bit of work to do alright- good luck for the rest of the year and well done today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pretty surprised if Paul Flynn was trash talking,he is not that sort of player.I'm sure they were both at it,tensions can run a bit high.Not the easiest when you've lost a game by a large margin but one should always be magnanimous in victory and graceful in defeat irrespective of how much it hurts in the immediate aftermath.

Thats normally the case between Dublin and Kerry. People will hold Flynn to a higher standard because his team won but i'd say they were both at it. Not much in it in truth.

Even the likes of Donaghy, who is sinner and sinned against in epic proportions, move on when the whistle is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I think he played 3 times in 2014, one as a sub, so I wasn't alone. It was Malachy Clerkin in The Irish Times that referred to him as an incessant trash talker, by the way. He confirmed that when he famously roared What do you think of that Joe Brolly on TV.

We have a decent bit of work to do alright- good luck for the rest of the year and well done today

Ah ****e, I was hoping the two of ye would keep at it!

dog_pig wrote: »
    Ah ****e, I was hoping the two of ye would keep at it!

Don't you start!:D

Its good the rivalry and banter is back in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Funny you should say childish. I couldn't believe the amount of children in the stadium. It was a fiver in for them wasn't it? Anyway, it was mainly a bunch of 10 year olds booing Kerry that people are getting upset over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Donnelley was getting a fair whack of abuse there. Not sure what that was about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

It very rarely puts off the player. Actually, in many ways it's a big compliment for a player to be booed by opposing fans! Still don't like it though and have never done it myself. I've said it time and again that I want to see the best of every player on the pitch, my team and the opposition. So why would I want to put somebody off their game??

Advertisement