Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Queens Birthday Day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Helen mirren is 90? Wow fair play. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I found it strange that an ardent libertarian would be pro-monarchy...then realised that libertarianism is basically modern day feudalism where property rights are "king".

Monarchy was a natural outcome arising from families sucessfully accumulating enough land and power (through carefully selected marriages, inbreeding and the odd war) until they could declare themselves as self-styled rulers.

Wouldn't pay much attention to the "Official Engagements" figure quoted. She's the queen so pretty much any "activity" is counted as an "official engagement", whether that's a 5 minute meet and greet at a school or taking a dump.

Anyway don't agree with the monarchy (in the UK or elsewhere) but not going to wish her ill-will either. So happy (belated) birthday wishes to her, I'm sure she'll be chuffed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What a remarkable lady....I don't know she keeps going. I'm 60 years younger than her and I'd find her schedule grueling.

She seems like a very intelligent and kind woman. And doesn't she look fresh for her age?

I'll never understand the vitriolic hatred some Irish people have the Royals....as I have said numerous times the occupation ended a long time ago, Britain is not our enemy any more. People really need to let the past go and move into the 21st century.

You know one of those royals is head of the regiment still under investigation for massacring 14 Irish people not as long ago as you might want to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

What a remarkable lady....I don't know she keeps going. I'm 60 years younger than her and I'd find her schedule grueling.

She seems like a very intelligent and kind woman. And doesn't she look fresh for her age?

I'll never understand the vitriolic hatred some Irish people have the Royals....as I have said numerous times the occupation ended a long time ago, Britain is not our enemy any more. People really need to let the past go and move into the 21st century.

You know one of those royals is head of the regiment still under investigation for massacring 14 Irish people not as long ago as you might want to think.

Well as Mornarchy they are technically head of everything. I doubt they were giving orders to fire on innocents.

Where does the blame game end? And where has it gotten us?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hmm, tad ironic?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I found it strange that an ardent libertarian would be pro-monarchy...then realised that libertarianism is basically modern day feudalism where property rights are "king".

There are none as quick to bend the knee to a figure of authority than an ardent libertarian. The most sycophantic of all ideologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

karma_ wrote: »
    There are none as quick to bend the knee to a figure of authority than an ardent libertarian. The most sycophantic of all ideologies.

They're all for feudalism until the peasants get their hands on a crossbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think you should be sure to hold on to that grudge. Don't let it go, no matter how ridiculous it makes you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Happy Birthday your majesty.

Now where is my monocle ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Irish people should be very careful where they throw stones, especially butt hurt ones that seem to hate most things British. Have to laugh at those living in the UK and giving out about the Queen. Oh the irony.

Ireland came very close in the last presidential election in electing a Fianna Fail bagman. 3rd was a former Terrorist who supported an organisation in killing women and children!!

• Advertisement

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Irish people should be very careful where they throw stones, especially butt hurt ones that seem to hate most things British. Have to laugh at those living in the UK and giving out about the Queen. Oh the irony.

In all seriousness... how the f**k is that ironic?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

karma_ wrote: »

The most inconsistent of all the ideologies apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Re: her abducation.. "She'll still be queen going down in the box"

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Re: her abducation.. "She'll still be queen going down in the box"

It would make bringing her out for those ceremonies they indulge in rather difficult though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think you should be sure to hold on to that grudge. Don't let it go, no matter how ridiculous it makes you.
    Yeah godforbid murderers should be brought to justice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yeah godforbid murderers should be brought to justice :rolleyes:

They'll be brought to justice when Gerry is, I wouldn't hold my breath..

Give up on justice for Northern Ireland. The best one person can do is help keep murderers out of office.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Give up on justice for Northern Ireland. The best one person can do is help keep murderers out of office.

....unless they're British or thus affiliated, in which case "Don't hold a grudge".

Lurkio wrote: »
    ....unless they're British or thus affiliated, in which case "Don't hold a grudge".

Unlike SF the BA isn't running for elected office.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gerry hasn't done anything wrong, so there is nothing to bring him to justice for. sf will be in government one day, you need to start preparing for that fact.

no the BA just impose their will on the countries they invade instead.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

gerry hasn't done anything wrong, so there is nothing to bring him to justice for. sf will be in government one day, you need to start preparing for that fact.

no the BA just impose their will on the countries they invade instead.
    lol

• Advertisement

But if it was, you wouldn't have a problem with it. Your posting history is not unfamiliar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Just heard the prince died, bummer on your b'day :(

But if it was, you wouldn't have a problem with it. Your posting history is not unfamiliar to me.

Don't tell me what I would or wouldn't be opposed to thanks.

Your posting history is also familier to me.

Don't tell me what I would or wouldn't be opposed to thanks.

Your posting history is also familier to me.

I'm sure it is.

The fact is that I have never seen you attack British militarism, have frequently seen you lionise loyalism and unionism, and pour acrid bile on all things nationalist and republican on an all too regular basis. Now there is always a possibility that sense will arrive and that the tune will change, but there is no evidence on which to base such hope.

I'm sure it is.

The fact is that I have never seen you attack British militarism, have frequently seen you lionise loyalism and unionism, and pour acrid bile on all things nationalist and republican on an all too regular basis. Now there is always a possibility that sense will arrive and that the tune will change, but there is no evidence on which to base such hope.

I've repeatedly condemned loyalist terrorists even while other posters refuse to condemn republican terrorists. If you haven't seen it you clearly haven't been paying enough attention.

But don't let a little thing like ignorance stop you telling me what my opinions would be in any hypothetical scenario. You're clearly more qualified for that than I am.

I've repeatedly condemned loyalist terrorists even while other posters refuse to condemn republican terrorists. If you haven't seen it you clearly haven't been paying enough attention.

But don't let a little thing like ignorance stop you telling me what my opinions would be in any hypothetical scenario. You're clearly more qualified for that than I am.

Evidently, as you're using a thread about the queens birthday to slag off republicans.

Speaking of the topic, what is your opinion of the British monarchy in the 21st century?

Evidently, as you're using a thread about the queens birthday to slag off republicans.

Speaking of the topic, what is your opinion of the British monarchy in the 21st century?

My opinion is that it generates more revenue than it costs.

How would you know?

Fascinating. Do you have some source of figures I might look at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Fascinating. Do you have some source of figures I might look at?

He / appears to be correct in fact. It's impossible to put a precise figure on how much income the Royal family generate but it appears to outstrip the money spent on them :

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/is-the-british-royal-family-worth-the-money/278052/

Advertisement