Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Queens Birthday Day.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, crucially however the president is not earmarked from birth to a position of privilege.

Which saves even more money on electing people to ceremonial positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Which saves even more money on electing people to ceremonial positions.

Ceremonial? *scoff* Reading some of the posts here they do a damn hard job of work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Who exactly is "The Queen" there are numrous Queens around the world so can thread titles please be more specific in future.

This old chestnut's such a ridiculous argument.

Forget the Queen for a second - if someone mentions Prince Philip, 99% of people in Ireland will assume it's the doddery & mildly racist old Greek being discussed, not the baldy Monaco playboy. This is simply because, like it or not, the British royal family continue to inhabit our cultural consciousness to a far greater degree than Swedish, Dutch or Spanish monarchs.

The 'Which Queen' guff is just symptomatic of a particular type of republican mindset, that trawls around salivating at any opportunity to take offense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ever wonder how much it costs to keep the Royals safe?

Well... no one knows because it's never been published.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

xabi wrote: »
    Thats crying out for a cock&balls to be drawn on it.
    La_Gordy wrote: »
    Tellin' me.

Do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

"Work" for Royals is going to grand dinners and having expensive holidays, getting waited on 24 hours a day. Not hard to see how they tend to live to a ripe old age.

An English Republic can't come soon enough (the realist in me knows it'll probably never come).

Can't come soon enough for who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

The amount of tourist dollar the UK sees because of HRH and her royal family more than makes up for the upkeep cost.

Happy birthday your majesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Can't come soon enough for who?

Well me, the person who posted the post, crazy eh?

There's probably others too, but I'll let them decide if it can come soon enough for them.

Ceremonial? *scoff* Reading some of the posts here they do a damn hard job of work!

They do, as I'm sure Ireland's ceremonial head of state does.

They do, as I'm sure Ireland's ceremonial head of state does.

So why earmark people from birth for all jobs?

• Advertisement

Why not?

Why not?

Works in North Korea?

Works in North Korea?

And Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

Why not?

Works in Eire too shur. I can tell you already who the future TDs are for about 10 constituencies, I can also predict who will be presenting on RTE in 20 years time.

I love the way the Irish scoff at British heraldry and the hereditery rights implied with it. At least the Brits are open about it and there's some structure to it.

And Sweden

Interesting. I must ask my Swedish collegue what job he was entitled to at birth.....

Strangely he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I like the Queen. She made a lot of friends here in 2011 by laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance and visiting Croke Park etc and by speaking in Irish at Dublin Castle. She showed she had respect for us.

Interesting. I must ask my Swedish collegue what job he was entitled to at birth.....

Strangely he didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

I was, of course, referring to ceremonial heads of state.

How you relate that to all jobs is a tad bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Strazdas wrote: »
    I like the Queen. She made a lot of friends here in 2011 by laying a wreath at the Garden of Remembrance and visiting Croke Park etc and by speaking in Irish at Dublin Castle. She showed she had respect for us.

As long as I can call her Lizzy and never obliged to call her "her Majesty", shes welcome to sit around and lay wreaths...lay wreaths everywhere! sure why not...not that hard to do anyway....

I was, of course, referring to ceremonial heads of state.

How you relate that to all jobs is a tad bizarre.

This post right here:
    Originally Posted by Ush1 View Post

What's bizarre about it exactly?

Who said anything about earmarking people from birth for all jobs?

• Advertisement

Who said anything about earmarking all people from birth?

I asked the question! The only bizarre thing, removing all the nonsense, is taxes paying for a family to live in a palace just because they are who they are.

I asked the question! The only bizarre thing, removing all the nonsense, is taxes paying for a family to live in a palace just because they are who they are.

As has been said previously several times. If you were starting from scratch, you wouldn't choose this system today, but why change a system that doesn't hurt anyone and gives a form of continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The original Lizard Queen

Grrrrreat! Call Krieger and Densmore. I'll do the keyboard bits.

As has been said previously several times. If you were starting from scratch, you wouldn't choose this system today, but why change a system that doesn't hurt anyone and gives a form of continuity.

And as I have said, behead them as the French did.

And as I have said, behead them as the French did.

And end having to choose between an ex terrorist, a neurotic minor celebrity, a paedophile apologist and a dodgy businessman to take their place?

Nah, you're ok thanks.

And end having to choose between an ex terrorist, a neurotic minor celebrity, a paedophile apologist and a dodgy businessman to take their place?

Nah, you're ok thanks.

Once they're beheaded I think we get to choose a president. Someone suggested an Italian, you're suggesting American? Or Irish? . I suggest someone from the UK, I did think there might be an option to share a president with another country but I think you have to pick your own.

Once they're beheaded I think we get to choose a president. Someone suggested an Italian, you're suggesting American? Or Irish? . I suggest someone from the UK, I did think there might be an option to share a president with another country but I think you have to pick your own.

What?

What?

You've suggested some choices for president, presumably not from out of your arsehole but rather from real life?

Nah, you're ok thanks.

You could always run yourself you know? Show some good British initiative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Monarchy is clearly backwards.....but so's religion so Ireland can't throw too many stones considering it's a lot more religious.

Advertisement