Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Queens Birthday Day.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ush1 wrote: »
    You could always run yourself you know? Show some good British initiative.

I'm happy with the way it is, thanks for your nomination though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Monarchy is clearly backwards.....but so's religion so Ireland can't throw too many stones considering it's a lot more religious.

Actually, in this matter Ireland is the secular state, as the British monarch is also Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I bought her a nice little gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Looks quite well for her age. Poor Prince Charles must be wondering will he ever get a go, he's close to 70 years old at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Looks quite well for her age. Poor Prince Charles must be wondering will he ever get a go, he's close to 70 years old at this stage.

Monarchists are lucky that Charles' reign will probably be short. A young King Charles would have been a constitutional crisis waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Who exactly is "The Queen" there are numrous Queens around the world so can thread titles please be more specific in future.

This old chestnut's such a ridiculous argument.

Forget the Queen for a second - if someone mentions Prince Philip, 99% of people in Ireland will assume it's the doddery & mildly racist old Greek being discussed, not the baldy Monaco playboy. This is simply because, like it or not, the British royal family continue to inhabit our cultural consciousness to a far greater degree than Swedish, Dutch or Spanish monarchs.

The 'Which Queen' guff is just symptomatic of a particular type of republican mindset, that trawls around salivating at any opportunity to take offense.
    Add your reply here.

She's not my queen so for all I know you could have been talking about any queen across the world.

Assuming that everyone knows which queen you are talking about is really symptomatic of particular type of west brit mindset that trawls around any oppurtunity to tug the forelock for the british monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Happy Birthday Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Add your reply here.

She's not my queen so for all I know you could have been talking about any queen across the world.

Assuming that everyone knows which queen you are talking about is really symptomatic of particular type of west brit mindset that trawls around any oppurtunity to tug the forelock for the british monarch.
    In that case Google which Queen's birthday it is today and stop wasting everyone's time with stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Monarchists are lucky that Charles' reign will probably be short. A young King Charles would have been a constitutional crisis waiting to happen.

I reckon he'd make a good King now though. He seems to have matured a lot and has grown into the role.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I reckon he'd make a good King now though. He seems to have matured a lot and has grown into the role.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't tempted to knock her down the stairs at this stage..

I can't see her abdicating either, she's a traditionalist at heart and the throne is for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Monarchy is clearly backwards.....but so's religion so Ireland can't throw too many stones considering it's a lot more religious.

Not in terms of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Even the Germans refer to her simply as "Die Queen" ...

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/queen-geburtstag-101.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Who exactly is "The Queen" there are numrous Queens around the world so can thread titles please be more specific in future.

This old chestnut's such a ridiculous argument.

Forget the Queen for a second - if someone mentions Prince Philip, 99% of people in Ireland will assume it's the doddery & mildly racist old Greek being discussed, not the baldy Monaco playboy. This is simply because, like it or not, the British royal family continue to inhabit our cultural consciousness to a far greater degree than Swedish, Dutch or Spanish monarchs.

The 'Which Queen' guff is just symptomatic of a particular type of republican mindset, that trawls around salivating at any opportunity to take offense.
    Add your reply here.

Ah come on, she is referred to as "the" queen all around the world. If I said that in america, Australia or Canada for example, they would know who I was referring to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Wonder when she'll croak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Niemoj wrote: »
    Wonder when she'll croak.

Well the Queen Mother lived till she was 102 . . . .

I guess its in the genes.
    Prince Philip is doing remarkably well too @94 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

This thread should be closed now that her son has died.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

A woman who viewed my parents and grandparents as 2nd class citizens, I have no respect for her and I shouldn't be viewed as a bigot for having such views.

A woman who viewed my parents and grandparents as 2nd class citizens, I have no respect for her and I shouldn't be viewed as a bigot for having such views.

Oh? Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

She shouldn't be the head of a religion too though imo. (Create a separate position)

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    In that case Google which Queen's birthday it is today and stop wasting everyone's time with stupid questions.

I couldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement

I couldn't be bothered.

Yet you can be bothered to ask stupid questions like what Queen? Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Nothing specifically against the British Queen but the entire institution is nonsense imo, Any Monarchy that is, the idea someone should rule over you because of some birth right is so outdated, it doesn't really annoy me but if i was British i'd be pissed off paying for her and her extended family to live a life of extreme luxury for no reason. What's ironic is often the most ardent lovers of the monarchy in Britain will be the same people giving out about "benefit cheats" ect, There are no bigger scroungers in the world then the British Royal family, The Queen may do plenty of engagements but what about William and Kate they appear to do almost nothing, even worse is the extended family like Andrew and his daughters, why are they allowed contribute zero and live in such opulence at the taxpayers expense? The entire thing is outdated and represents a lot of the old archaic ideas of empire, class, military ect. Anywhere that has an unelected head of state like Britain isn't a true democracy imo.

Yet you can be bothered to ask stupid questions like what Queen? Good man.

Perfectly reasonable question to ask seeing as we don't have a Queen in this country and there are many queens across the world.

It could have been Queen Margery the thread was referring to for all I know.

Perfectly reasonable question to ask seeing as we don't have a Queen in this country and there are many queens across the world.

Now you're making me repeat myself. If you don't know who we're writing about then look up what Queen's birthday is today and stop wasting people's time with stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Anywhere that has an unelected head of state like Britain isn't a true democracy imo.

Maybe that's why the British take more care with the democracy they di have, rather than re-electing corrupt politicians, or voting for someone based on which side of a civil war their father fought on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Poppycock.

Now you're making me repeat myself. If you don't know who we're writing about then look up what Queen's birthday is today and stop wasting people's time with stupid questions.

Nobody is making you repeat yourself apart from yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Maybe that's why the British take more care with the democracy they di have, rather than re-electing corrupt politicians, or voting for someone based on which side of a civil war their father fought on.

Them British politicians must be squeaky clean eh?

Yeah that doesn't really happen anymore seeing as the fathers of a lot of people voting now wouldn't have fought in the Civil war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Jesus dude you're apparently a libertarian. That's twice I heard you talk about remarkably unlibertarian values.

Advertisement