Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's The Queens Birthday Day.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

Happy birthday to her. A nice person by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Yeah that doesn't really happen anymore seeing as the fathers of a lot of people voting now wouldn't have fought in the Civil war.

I was referring to the candidates.

Maybe just having the name Healy-Rae is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Yesterday was Hitlers birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I can't get my head around Irish people who appear to love the monarchy, like all the people fawning over the royal wedding or baby, some absolute saddos out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I was referring to the candidates.

Maybe just having the name Healy-Rae is enough.

People don't really do that anymore either.It was true a generation or so ago but it isn't really the case anymore.

Did you not notice the number of independents voted for recently.People just vote for whatever suits their own interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Happy birthday, Mrs Windsor

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

biko wrote: »
    Happy birthday, Mrs Windsor
    If she's not married to Mr. Windsor how can she be Mrs Windsor? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭line console zero

I can't get my head around Irish people who appear to love the monarchy, like all the people fawning over the royal wedding or baby, some absolute saddos out there.
    You don't have to love someone to wish them a happy birthday. What's wrong with people being happy for a young couple having a baby? Do you not like babies? Or old ladies? or happy young couples?

I am no follower of the royal family or of any celebrity for that matter, but I don't get the outright despise for them shown by many Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Alun wrote: »
    Even the Germans refer to her simply as "Die Queen" ...

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/queen-geburtstag-101.html

Of course, Windsors were German.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Maybe that's why the British take more care with the democracy they di have, rather than re-electing corrupt politicians, or voting for someone based on which side of a civil war their father fought on.

No they don't get to vote for the war winners family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

She's not my queen so for all I know you could have been talking about any queen across the world.

You were confused as to which Queen was under discussion?

Nah.
    Assuming that everyone knows which queen you are talking about is really symptomatic of particular type of west brit mindset that trawls around any oppurtunity to tug the forelock for the british monarch.

Actually, it's based on the application of common sense with a delectable side order of the bleedin' obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,384 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why wouldn't they like her? She's the head of state of our next door neighbours, a country we have numerous cultural links with.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

kneemos wrote: »
    not looking bad whatever she's on.
    You'd look good at 90 if you lived a life of unearned privilege.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You were confused as to which Queen was under discussion?

Nah.

Actually, it's based on the application of common sense with a delectable side order of the bleedin' obvious.

The post could have been referring to any Queen.It wouldn't do any harm for opening posts to specify which individual they were talking about especially as the description "The Queen" is quiet vague.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Shams wrote: »
    Yesterday was Hitlers birthday

Yeah but he's not up to much these days.

The post could have been referring to any Queen.It wouldn't do any harm for opening posts to specify which individual they were talking about especially as the description "The Queen" is quiet vague.

There's only one other reigning queen in the whole of Europe : Queen Margrethe of Denmark. I think it would be safe to assume "The Queen" is referring to the head of state of the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Why would that be at all necessary?

People have taken it as a given for decade upon decade now, that discussion of 'The Queen' in the media, on our streets, over a pint or in the home have consistently & overwhelmingly pertained to Elizabeth ll. Such is the lack of confusion over whom the term specifically refers to, that further explication is rightly deemed totally redundant. Her Madge, Lizzy, Mrs. Windsor, Frau Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha or the Queen. Take your pick.

'Tis a bullsh1t argument, as well you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

http://www.worldofflags.co.uk/media/ecom/prodlg/Queen-90-52.jpg

Ring any bells?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Why would that be at all necessary?

People have taken it as a given for decade upon decade now, that discussion of 'The Queen' in the media, on our streets, over a pint or in the home have consistently & overwhelmingly pertained to Elizabeth ll. Such is the lack of confusion over whom the term specifically refers to, that further explication is rightly deemed totally redundant. Her Madge, Lizzy, Mrs. Windsor, Frau Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha or the Queen. Take your pick.

'Tis a bullsh1t argument, as well you know.

It would be a bit like referring to 'United' in football and someone pulling you up and asking you which one you mean, as it could just as easily refer to Torquay or Colchester.

Strazdas wrote: »
    There's only one other reigning queen in the whole of Europe : Queen Margrethe of Denmark. I think it would be safe to assume "The Queen" is referring to the head of state of the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

So I was correct as she isn't the only Queen in the world it would help to be more specific.

• Advertisement

That seems to be A Queen and not The Queen seeing as there is more than one Queen in the world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seamus wrote: »
    She was a mechanic in the British Army IIRC.

As someone else said, it's not hard to live to 90 years of age when you have everything looked after by the most expensive people money can buy. She's had to deal with plenty of big stresses in her life, but all of the small ones are taken care of by her staff. And it's the small stresses that kill you, not the big ones.

Tell that to earthquake victims

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

conorhal wrote:
    Well I firmy believe that those in free social housing living off the state's teat should have to contribute some form of comunity service until the find a real job....

If only there were a scheme that could bridge the gap until they find a job...no doubt it would be universally popular. Could call it, the 'Bridge Job Scheme'. Nobody would find a reason to complain about that surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It would be a bit like referring to 'United' in football and someone pulling you up and asking you which one you mean, as it could just as easily refer to Torquay or Colchester.
    This season, when I've referred to United's bid to get a Champion's League place, I've been referring to West Ham United (but mainly to wind up my brother, who's a ManU fan).
    Why wouldn't they like her? She's the head of state of our next door neighbours, a country we have numerous cultural links with.
    Just like the British love our little head of state. They think it's cute that we voted a leprechaun into the position, just to help with tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

God save our gracious Queen!
    Long live our noble Queen!
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us,
    God save the Queen.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

What a remarkable lady....I don't know she keeps going. I'm 60 years younger than her and I'd find her schedule grueling.

She seems like a very intelligent and kind woman. And doesn't she look fresh for her age?

I'll never understand the vitriolic hatred some Irish people have the Royals....as I have said numerous times the occupation ended a long time ago, Britain is not our enemy any more. People really need to let the past go and move into the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This "English Queen" Sinn fein speak really annoys me

she is THE Queen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

This "English Queen" Sinn fein speak really annoys me

she is THE Queen

You could call her the Northern Irish Queen and watch them twist their mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

jacksie66 wrote: »
    We get a day off in June for her birthday here in New Zealand. Why in June I really don't know but I'm not complaining..

It's because she has two birthdays. She's only 45 really.

Advertisement