Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Easing back into baking with steamed puddings. This time had dates at the base ie at the top and utterly delicious with custard on a January day

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

This is maybe more assembling than baking because no way was I making filo pastry from scratch, but today I made mutabbaq - a Palestinian pastry that involves a mixture of ricotta and goats' cheese between layers of filo pastry (stuck together with clarified butter) and topped with a simple water and sugar rose water syrup. It could have been cooked for 4-5 mins longer, but not bad for a first attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

∆ That sounds and looks delicious!

Added simple basic scones to the repertoire and they are delicious with good Irish butter and home made blackberry jam...gets easier as I get back in the swing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    This is maybe more assembling than baking because no way was I making filo pastry from scratch, but today I made mutabbaq - a Palestinian pastry that involves a mixture of ricotta and goats' cheese between layers of filo pastry (stuck together with clarified butter) and topped with a simple water and sugar rose water syrup. It could have been cooked for 4-5 mins longer, but not bad for a first attempt

To be fair, that's much more than mere assembly.
    There's baking involved and more - messing around with clarified butter and making syrup.
    Chocolate biscuit cake, on the other hand.....

• Advertisement

Steamed puddings! Oh MY ! Yesterday's variation was rich chocolate with cocoa powder and a soupcon of strong black coffee.... totally ..... had forgotten how much I enjoyed baking so thank you here for the inspiration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Part of the title of the thread is 'Tasty', not sure if I've quite got there yet with Gluten Free Scones, recipe from Doves Freee website. Made with rice flour. Just offering it for what its worth. They will have to do for now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've wanted to make the filling from kinder bueno (I call it beuno :D) for ages so I can use it to bake with...but unsurprisingly Kinder don't tell us how it is made. From lots of googling I figured it was pretty much white chocolate nutella, smooth hazelnut butter is impossible to find, so I just bought hazelnuts and white chocolate and plan was to just melt the choc and mix it with homemade hazelnut butter...and a secret ingredient or two :p
    OMG...I now have a jar of like bueno truffle in my fridge. SOMEONE TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME.
    Going to heat it to thin it out and whack it in a cheesecake over the weekend...then make a milk choc ganache for the top and then swirl some melted dark choc on the top to make it 'look' like a kinder bueno :D

The 'bueno' obviously a bit too thick, but something to work with now to go for mastering it....I really wanted it to put it as a filling in cupcakes which I think would be delicious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mother of god raccoon queen what have you done!!! Post pics please!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

My first time making fudge! All set for Valentines Day :)

[Thanks to all the posters here for the advice!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Attempted cinnamon buns for the second time today. I think the recommended temperature was a bit high and they ended up a little browner than I'd like, but they are very tasty nonetheless

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

More sourdough, this time baked in the Kamado Joe. Need to get a thicker crust on top, but really happy with it otherwise.

472741.jpg

472742.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

For Mr snuggles birthday I tried to make a choux wreath (eclairs are his favourite baked treat). It tasted a lot nicer than it looks.
    33cxfgo.jpg

Bueno Cheesecake. The bueno flavour not as strong as I'd have wanted through the cheesecake but sure that just means I've to try a few more times to make it better. :)

Hazelnut cream cheesecake, milk choc ganache + dark choc. I put some pieces of kinder bueno into the cheesecake mix as have seen others do that for kinder bueno cheesecake but didn't like them in it, they get a bit soggy.

472816.JPG
    472817.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Love the look of both of the above! The choux wreath looks fantastic so it must taste absolutely amazing!

Over the weekend, made up a (gluten free) mint & choc marble cake with a minty buttercream frosting. Tasted incredible (if I do say so myself :D)

472828.jpg

472827.jpg

🤪

Sabre001 you are very kind. Your bake looks absolutely fabulous, I would love the recipe for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Made some soda bread the other week. Delicious and only 5 mins to prepare and into the oven.

Sourdough does look lovely but I can't be faffing around for 18 hours + 6 days making bread. Kudos to those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

RasTa wrote: »

Sourdough does look lovely but I can't be faffing around for 18 hours + 6 days making bread. Kudos to those who do.

Take starter out of fridge, weigh out required amount and leave to bring it up to room temperature. Feed starter and return to fridge until next week.

Combine flour, starter, water and salt for 7/8 minutes in a mixer, leave for three hours. Knock back, leave to prove again in the fridge overnight then into the oven for 30 minutes.

15 minutes effort max. If you don't want to make your starter from scratch, your local bakery will probably give you some if you ask nicely and maybe spend some money.

Go on try it, you won't be disappointed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus, now I have to buy a mixer!

Like I said kudos to those who do it but I'm too impulsive to start. I'll just keep on watching videos like below whenever I get the urge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Bueno Cheesecake. The bueno flavour not as strong as I'd have wanted through the cheesecake but sure that just means I've to try a few more times to make it better. :)

Hazelnut cream cheesecake, milk choc ganache + dark choc. I put some pieces of kinder bueno into the cheesecake mix as have seen others do that for kinder bueno cheesecake but didn't like them in it, they get a bit soggy.

Looks amazing, I have never made a normal chilled cheese cake actually, just a baked one. I wonder would the bueno pieces work well in the base? You should try it out.. I’d be more than happy to taste test for you...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Take starter out of fridge, weigh out required amount and leave to bring it up to room temperature. Feed starter and return to fridge until next week.

Combine flour, starter, water and salt for 7/8 minutes in a mixer, leave for three hours. Knock back, leave to prove again in the fridge overnight then into the oven for 30 minutes.

15 minutes effort max. If you don't want to make your starter from scratch, your local bakery will probably give you some if you ask nicely and maybe spend some money.

Go on try it, you won't be disappointed! :D

Process I've learned is more involved, and it's at least a two day process, but each step is about 5 minutes effort. The only bit that's a palaver is turning the dough every 30 minutes for 3-4 hours after making the dough.

Making leaven with your starter, mixing the dough, shaping it and baking are all low-effort parts of the process.

Once you get your head around a timetable for getting it done, it's bugger all actual effort. Zero kneading.
    Results are totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Sweet mother of god RacoonQueen, that looks absolutely divine!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

fitz wrote: »
    More sourdough, this time baked in the Kamado Joe. Need to get a thicker crust on top, but really happy with it otherwise.

Beautiful, beautiful bread fitz. Really impressive.

Sabre001 you are very kind. Your bake looks absolutely fabulous, I would love the recipe for this.

Used this - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2988682/chocolate-orange-marble-cake - with some alterations. GF flour, a tsp of baking powder, mint essence instead of orange and green food colouring, and changed the method. Beat the butter, then added the sugar and creamed that together, then the flour and eggs.

Made two cakes (rather than using a bread loaf tin) with the marble pattern and mix in both. Also made up some mint buttercream with the peppermint essence and green food colouring.

🤪

Thank you very much Sabre0001, I had been looking for a recipe for something special for a very dear friend of the family.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have been using up some of the cans of Guinness left over from Xmas by baking bread with it.
    Can of Guinness
    3.5 cups of self raising flour

Into the oven for 50 mins on 200. Job done. Simple (bit like me :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I've wanted to make the filling from kinder bueno (I call it beuno :D) for ages so I can use it to bake with...but unsurprisingly Kinder don't tell us how it is made. From lots of googling I figured it was pretty much white chocolate nutella, smooth hazelnut butter is impossible to find, so I just bought hazelnuts and white chocolate and plan was to just melt the choc and mix it with homemade hazelnut butter...and a secret ingredient or two :p

Looks like you don't need it but I find this hazelnut butter very smooth.

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/hazelnut-butter-1kg.html

You have actually given me an idea of making macadamia nut and white chocolate paste now!

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Used this - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2988682/chocolate-orange-marble-cake - with some alterations. GF flour, a tsp of baking powder, mint essence instead of orange and green food colouring, and changed the method. Beat the butter, then added the sugar and creamed that together, then the flour and eggs.

Made two cakes (rather than using a bread loaf tin) with the marble pattern and mix in both. Also made up some mint buttercream with the peppermint essence and green food colouring.

So you did two batches of that cake mix? And straight swap with GF flour? Be interested to try it myself for GF people :) But GF things can be very dry with that volume of flour I find.

So you did two batches of that cake mix? And straight swap with GF flour? Be interested to try it myself for GF people :) But GF things can be very dry with that volume of flour I find.

Actually kept the measurements the same, but divided into two pans. And straight swap for the flour. Think it actually turned out nice and moist (but the real indicator would be having a regular cake to taste too....I should do that - just a good excuse for more cake :D)

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Actually kept the measurements the same, but divided into two pans. And straight swap for the flour. Think it actually turned out nice and moist (but the real indicator would be having a regular cake to taste too....I should do that - just a good excuse for more cake :D)

Cool, I might give it a try as a sandwich over the weekend. I usually put ground almonds into gf stuff for moisture.

Advertisement