Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Last month, I also baked a loaf of bread first time in life. It was fine but as I didn't have bread knife so slice was thick. Secondly, I notice these home-baked give little stomach pain may be due to yeast as compared to bakery ones. But, bakery ones also have too much amount of yeast. Unable to understand the difference.

Try Sourdough. No commercial yeast and the longer proving times make sure that the bread is more easily digested. It also tastes much better. I bake sourdough bread twice a week and eat it without problems, despite IBS.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Made a flourless chocolate orange cake on Christmas Eve from Nigella’s recipe. So so good!

The only pic I got was before it collapsed and the crater filled with cream. A really easy bake that always impresses :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I did triple chocolate mousse cake for Christmas day dessert but didn't get a photo, means I'll just have to remake. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I offered to make my sisters birthday cake for her 30th - all fine but I sort of forgot it was just after Christmas and it really cut into my days off. But, I’m thrilled with the results, can’t wait to see her face. I’ve also done a surprise cake for my brother who’s 30th was last year but he wasn’t in the country.

His is gluten free chocolate biscuit cake, hers is gluten free chocolate chip on bottom with salted caramel, topped with vanilla and lemon curd

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sdp

I offered to make my sisters birthday cake for her 30th - all fine but I sort of forgot it was just after Christmas and it really cut into my days off. But, I’m thrilled with the results, can’t wait to see her face. I’ve also done a surprise cake for my brother who’s 30th was last year but he wasn’t in the country.

His is gluten free chocolate biscuit cake, hers is gluten free chocolate chip on bottom with salted caramel, topped with vanilla and lemon curd

Fabulous looking cakes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

awe and admiration here.. sacrilege to cut them though! works of art....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're stunning!

Threw this together earlier, am in a cheese coma now.

20181231-192824-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not quite mine nor baked but the wife made this for new years eve. Italian Christmas pudding from a Niglella cookbook. Went down very well with everyone

20190101-184004.jpg

Just some more baguettes using Paul Hollywood's recipe:

20190113-091838-800x450.jpg

20190113-091823-800x450.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Try Sourdough. No commercial yeast and the longer proving times make sure that the bread is more easily digested. It also tastes much better. I bake sourdough bread twice a week and eat it without problems, despite IBS.

Hi, can you post a sourdough recipe please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Lisha wrote: »
    Hi, can you post a sourdough recipe please? Thanks

https://www.riotrye.ie/common-loaf/

This is a good one for absolute beginners. There are detailed instructions for the starter and the baking including some videos.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2998683/sourdough-

The second one is for a white sourdough bread.

Apple sponge cake.
    [IMG][/img]bj791e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

Looks lovely sdp, could you post the recipe you used please? have some apples to use up. Thank you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Sourdough:
    470401.jpg

470403.jpg

Fitz, what a perfect looking loaf, butter and mug of tea waiting here! ;)

musicmammy wrote: »
    Looks lovely sdp, could you post the recipe you used please? have some apples to use up.
    Thank you.

Thank you, full recipe here, from few year ago.. my god that was 2012! same recipe , on this one just sprinkled some caster sugar over top before going into oven let me know if you need anything else :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82133871&postcount=507

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

That Sourdough looks amazing fitz.

Been baking regularly just with dried yeast for last year or so been meaning to pick some fresh yeast in the polish shop. Love sourdough but it seemed like a lot of work. Lot a guides seem to be for making huge batches of sour dough starter.

Wife got me Slow Dough Real Bread for Christmas. Their guide is for much more manageable quantity's just 30g of flour and water a day. Starter is on day 5 now. Looking forward to baking with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

Sdp, thank you for the link to the recipe. My mother used to make this for us when we were children. I loved it and her gingerbread. I asked her recently about them both and she didn't remember either at all and doesn't have the recipes, which she thinks were from an old cookery book from her schooldays. I'm looking forward to this taste of nostalgia. I'll make and bring some to my mother when I visit next.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Ryath wrote: »
    That Sourdough looks amazing fitz.

Been baking regularly just with dried yeast for last year or so been meaning to pick some fresh yeast in the polish shop. Love sourdough but it seemed like a lot of work. Lot a guides seem to be for making huge batches of sour dough starter.

Wife got me Slow Dough Real Bread for Christmas. Their guide is for much more manageable quantity's just 30g of flour and water a day. Starter is on day 5 now. Looking forward to baking with it.

I can take limited credit... Result of doing a workshop with Scéal Bakery at the weekend... Which I'd heartily recommend.

Used an IKEA Crockpot (keeps steam in) which was preheated for 20 minutes in the oven for the first 25 minutes of baking, then lowered oven from full blast to 200 and took lid off the crockpot for further 20 minutes of bake.
    Can't wait to experiment further with my starter, going to try baking a loaf in the kamado too to compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 katekuchen

Chocolate chip cookies using those little chocolate eclairs nobody would eat in the Christmas Heroes tin

470486.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

The last few loaves of white bread I've made have been quite :o tasty and :eek: risen like mad.
    Can't imagine why :confused: since it's the same :rolleyes: dull recipe I've always used...
    But I happened upon retarding the dough (when time got short) - must be the reason for the changes, dunno.

(presently retarding another loaf for tomorrow) :pac:

Busy evening yesterday unfortunately I probably won't get to taste any as they are gone with my wife to work. :(

Chocolate biscuit cake with a white chocolate ganache
    470733.jpg

Banoffee Pie
    470785.jpg

Lemon Drizzle Traybake Cake
    470716.jpg

Wanted the Ganache to be a little whiter but I used Green and Black white chocolate which is much yellower than most cheaper white chocolate. Should taste better though.

Not sure if I'm entirely happy with layout of decorations. I'm good at copying ideas but it was very hard see anything for a rectangular cake. Much easier decorate a round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ryath wrote: »
    Busy evening yesterday unfortunately I probably won't get to taste any as they are gone with my wife to work.

Wanted the Ganache to be a little whiter but I used Green and Black white chocolate which is much yellower than most cheaper white chocolate. Should taste better though.

Not sure if I'm entirely happy with with layout of decorations. I'm good at copying ideas but it was very hard see anything for a rectangular cake. Much easier decorate a round one.

You sir, are much too hard on yourself! Biscuit Cake looks fantastic, well done! :)

Made a tray of caramel squares on Wednesday night using the cooking club recipe. I can’t get the caramel to go silky, it’s always just a little bit fudgy. I think it’s coz of my non-stick saucepan, tempted to buy a cheap regular one and try again.

N’all n’anyways they were still delicious, the compliments I received were possibly some of the best feedback I’ve ever gotten on my baking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Holy God Ryath, they look amazing!

Cornelius I bet they taste fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Ryath your bakes look soooo tempting. I would love some of that lemon drizzle bake right now !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Made a tray of caramel squares on Wednesday night using the cooking club recipe. I can’t get the caramel to go silky, it’s always just a little bit fudgy. I think it’s coz of my non-stick saucepan, tempted to buy a cheap regular one and try again.

N’all n’anyways they were still delicious, the compliments I received were possibly some of the best feedback I’ve ever gotten on my baking.
    I often make caramel in nonstick pots, it's uually ingredients or temperature changes the texture. That said, i haven't used the cooking club recipe.

Tree wrote: »
    I often make caramel in nonstick pots, it's uually ingredients or temperature changes the texture. That said, i haven't used the cooking club recipe.

Yeah maybe it’s temperature and a spot of impatience on my part. I’ll try again and leave myself more time. I wish I’d taken a photo of the profile when they were cut into squares, really looked great.

• Advertisement

You sir, are much too hard on yourself! Biscuit Cake looks fantastic, well done! :)

Thank's. It's the perfectionist in me I overthink almost everything in my life when trying something for the first time! It must have been alright wife got plenty of compliments on them from her colleagues! :o One wanted to know if I'd do orders!
    Ryath your bakes look soooo tempting. I would love some of that lemon drizzle bake right now !!

I'd have loved some too but there was none left to bring home. Made the banoffee again a few days ago bit didn't get much of that either with my kids. Might get time to make the lemon drizzle again this evening.

Tried out my sourdough starter for first time. Thought my starter was lively enough and my preferment/poolish seemed good but my dough didn't rise quite enough. Was going to use colander and towel as proving basket but decided instead to just using a loaf mold. Left it overnight and it was little better. Was a touch too sour for eating by it's self and a bit dense but was still good toasted with eggs and avacado.

Must get a proper proving basket. White starter off my preferment and my original wholemeal starter seem be improving. Discarded half the wholemeal one and fed heavily the last two days. I reckon it was ok at weekend and I should have upped the feeding a bit.

471159.jpg

Advertisement