Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Red velvet buns

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lily O'Briens 30% off code (ends today) VIPBF30 for anyone who has been using their chocolate.
    Assume they'll have another 30% off code during the week for Black Friday.

I finally made a Napoleon cake, it's a Russian version of a mille-feuille where the pastry cream is left to soak into the pastry layers, making a really soft and creamy cake. It's a bit time consuming because you've to bake each pastry layer separately (I made 12) but the end result is definitely worth it!

Little later than normal, I finally got round to getting my puddings and cake ready for christmas this weekend. All cooking right now and I forgot how much I love the smell of christmas cake baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Little later than normal, I finally got round to getting my puddings and cake ready for christmas this weekend. All cooking right now and I forgot how much I love the smell of christmas cake baking.

You just reminded me to feed my cake.

Only bit of "baking" I did to day was soda farls, but that might be stretching the baking part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I know this is not baking but, for my daughters birthday she chose a chocolate biscuit cake she likes ganache a lot so this is what I made for her.

2meogo7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

A recent thank you present I made, Pear and Almond slices and Chocolate Brownies

2guhych.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G!’s mission for the weekend was to make Brandy Snaps like my granny used to.

Here’s the result. Yum!

6-A47-F738-E244-4-BBC-AE3-E-F375-AB445-A0-B.jpg

You made me google how to make brandy snaps and a handy youtube video came up, so I clicked enthusiastically to find the 'recipe' was opening a box of brandy snaps and then whipping cream, adding in icing sugar and baileys > whipping again > filling snaps. LOVE American recipes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made gluten free carrot cake muffins yesterday, my first time to bake with gluten free flour. They were surprisingly good, and even those of us who don't have to avoid gluten thoroughly enjoyed them :)

• Advertisement

Dime (daim) bar blondies for a work bake sale the other day

20181128-075837-800x450.jpg

Dónal wrote: »
    Dime (daim) bar blondies for a work bake sale the other day

20181128-075837-800x450.jpg

I love Daim! Have you a recipe? :P

Sure:

http://www.sophielovesfood.com/2017/02/daim-blondies.html?m=1

I tipped the mini daims into a small food processor to save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Daughter asked if I could make profiteroles this evening. Hadn't made them in twenty years I'd say, used to help my mum make them a lot when I was small.

Forgot how much they puff up and made them a bit big!

467171.jpg

No excuse not to bake lot more now. My mother in law gave me her 20 plus year old Kenwood Chef that she'd given up using. I was too slow nabbing my own mothers when she gave it away a few months ago and another brother called dibs on it first. Will have to get the mincer and food processor attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Dónal wrote: »
    Sure:

http://www.sophielovesfood.com/2017/02/daim-blondies.html?m=1

I tipped the mini daims into a small food processor to save time.

Thanks for the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Shenshen wrote: »
    Sure, it's actually unbelievably simple.
    I emptied 1 tin of condensed milk in a pot, and heated it while stirring until it became caramel. I then added ca 70g of butter, to stop it from becoming too hard when set.
    That's it, really.

It still was a little chewey, so next time I might use cream instead of butter.

You can buy the actual caramel in a tin now. Usually alongside the condensed milk

After Christmas i am going to start baking again.. I PROMISE !

Thank you for this thread and all the delicious pics.. It got me thinking... I am at a new time in my life as I have finally retired and finally settled and established in my ideal place to live.

Used to bake all the time; even earned a living when times were hard. And at least three three tier wedding cakes for friends... in 9 years on a North Sea island never once had shop bread. Had a Kenwood and all.... Baked for friends, won prizes at shows etc.

Started the same way when I came to Ireland,, but then came the market trading and the dire needs my family support overseas....

So now, as every day is like Sunday, maybe time to pick up the ..... rolling pin!

And a dear friend has offered to pay for a breadmaker....

A New Year ahead!

You are an inspiration!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread and all the delicious pics.. It got me thinking... I am at a new time in my life as I have finally retired and finally settled and established in my ideal place to live.

Used to bake all the time; even earned a living when times were hard. And at least three three tier wedding cakes for friends... in 9 years on a North Sea island never once had shop bread. Had a Kenwood and all.... Baked for friends, won prizes at shows etc.

Started the same way when I came to Ireland,, but then came the market trading and the dire needs my family support overseas....

So now, as every day is like Sunday, maybe time to pick up the ..... rolling pin!

And a dear friend has offered to pay for a breadmaker....

A New Year ahead!

You are an inspiration!

Good luck Graces, I'm looking forward to seeing what you bake! :)

Good luck Graces, I'm looking forward to seeing what you bake! :)

ah taking photos is another thing altogether.... cannot sort how to transfer from my phone to here... but you never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Salted caramel tarts with the kids this morning - it hasn't gone well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Salted caramel tarts with the kids this morning - it hasn't gone well.

If the kids are still alive it has gone well :P

Graces7 wrote: »
    ah taking photos is another thing altogether.... cannot sort how to transfer from my phone to here... but you never know

If you are able to post to boards from your phone you can attach photos directly from your phone to the post, that's what I usually do! :) no need for photos anyway you can just describe how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

bun sale at school yesterday so made 2 lemon drizzle cakes ( had to sample one to make sure it was ok ☺). Also made some mincemeat muffins with cream cheese icing. They are a great alternative for those who find christmas cake too rich. They are also very easy to make so I made loads and wrapped them individually ,then cut squares out of black card and used glitter paint to stamp them.

https://imgur.com/a/NYrszw6
    sorry,i dont think i atttached that properly.It works but you have to copy and paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

What recipe did you use fir the mincemeat muffins please fineso mom?
    I’ve just swirled mince through cupcakes and it was fab, I’d like to try proper recipe.
    I love lemon drizzle too :) wish I was at your school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Im sorry, I was away from the phone all evening. Its actually a recipe i found on Aldis website. I looked recently but didnt see it. Ive written it down though so ill put it up tomorrow. Im going out now. off the top of my head its..
    1 egg
    100ml milk,
    100ml sunflower oil ,
    200g self raising flour ,
    100g sugar
    200gmincemeat.
    Yeah i checked thats it. mix the wet, add to the dry then add the mincemeat.
    Bout 180c til golden brown/spring back when touched.
    cream cheese frosting...i just make any and dust a tiny shake of nutmeg/cinnamon whatever.
    It makes 12 ..i always make double cos a jar is about 400g.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Mini victoria sponge
    [IMG][/img]2cwzvc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

House full of little ones during the week, so we made 2 tire chocolate biscuit cake, they all took turns with icing ,:D so proud of themselves, chocolate everywhere! great fun for them, cleanup was another thing :rolleyes:
    [IMG][/img]2wozq01.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sdp that's fabulous - and very neat for a collaboration!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My first go at Sourdough Bread with my new starter.

93-B23965-839-F-4626-98-E3-5-A617-BCEF7-B5.jpg

Advertisement