Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

A rhubarb crumble and a madeira. Haven't baked in a loooong time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Wow...thread was on page 2. What has everyone been up to with real life? :eek: Cinnamon sugar doughnuts...been recipe testing these for the last few weeks and *think* I'm finally happy with these.
    Ran out of cinnamon sugar and didn't have enough cinnamon left to make my normal mixture of caster sugar and cinnamon so had to make do :pac:

5538600190ce2d526ed57432761fd2eae051c7e1bcf17bc04bc310560960bdca96ed1dc1.jpg

7617757858fc558e6e323b8599ef477d7ed500ed94f6ba1550f0d63fe97c98265019d3af.jpg

These really look fab. I know you linked previously to the baking explorer receipe ... any specific recipe for these you can point us at? My 6 ring baking tray arrived from Amazon during the wk so keen to road test it this weekend.

Christened the donut tray. Also baked up a light fruit cake as Aldi were clearing mixed fruit they'd got into stock for Xmas.

https://ibb.co/S3FHQrj

https://ibb.co/Sdpk2tc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

donnacha wrote: »
    These really look fab. I know you linked previously to the baking explorer receipe ... any specific recipe for these you can point us at? My 6 ring baking tray arrived from Amazon during the wk so keen to road test it this weekend.

I've done a few batches of just messing around with recipes so this is my 'own' so to speak. I'll post it later when I get a chance :) but Janes Patisserie has one and so does Gemma Stafford (bigger bolder baking) she calls them churro donuts I think. Neither of them worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Does anyone know of any good bread baking classes in Dublin? Northside preferably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Christened the donut tray. Also baked up a light fruit cake as Aldi were clearing mixed fruit they'd got into stock for Xmas.

https://ibb.co/S3FHQrj

https://ibb.co/Sdpk2tc

They both look amazing! Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Whipped up some prosecco cupcakes (gluten free) with a jam core and buttercream frosting. Some things went well, others terribly!

Taste really good, light and moist. However, no prosecco taste - comes across as berries instead (even when not eating jam with a bit). Tried my hand at making "concentrated prosecco" - perhaps just needed to chuck in more prosecco...I saw online there's a prosecco food flavouring - perhaps that's worth a try.

The recipe I used called for a jam, sugar, concentrated prosecco filling. Was boiling up this mixture, then took it off heat to cool as instructed. And it solidified! So just went with a jam core instead.

476279.jpg

476280.jpg

Haven't used piping bags and nozzles, so my goal this year is to learn how to do all that.

🤪

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Had a crazy longing for Madeira cake after reading here so banged one together last night.

Thick slice, cuppa tea, heaven!

Had a crazy longing for Madeira cake after reading here so banged one together last night.

Now I wanna make a madeira!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

leahyl wrote: »

Do it, make it! It’s the only thing keeping me sane today, knowing I’ll have another slice with a cuppa when I get home from work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

leahyl wrote: »
    Do it, make it! It’s the only thing keeping me sane today, knowing I’ll have another slice with a cuppa when I get home from work :D

I'll apologise to you both, but I hope you enjoyed it!!

Sorry forgot to put up cinnamon doughnuts recipe. I tried THIS and THIS, had also looked at Ina Garden's recipe but thats all in cups. It does have nutmeg in it also though which could add an interesting extra bit of flavour.

The ones I tried just didn't work for me so I settled for making my own, using the baking explorers recipe as a base. Her base works really, really well for me so I'm going to use that for other flavour combinations I try for baked doughnuts.

225g self raising flour
    1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon (depends on your tastes)
    30 ml vegetable/flavourless oil
    175 ml milk
    2 eggs
    175g caster sugar

Mix sugar, eggs, milk, oil together
    Add in the flour and cinnamon
    Bake @ 170 fan for 10-12 mins...just until springy

While still warm, remove them from tin and toss them in cinnamon sugar which I make by combining 125g caster sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon
    If you forget and let them cool, which I have done, melt some butter and coat the doughnuts with melted butter using a pastry brush and then toss them in the cinnamon sugar (this method went down well because of the extra buttery taste)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Omg all those delicious doughnuts!

I'm not baking at the moment because I'm unwell, but I'm going to order two doughnut pans so I'll have them ready for when I'm up to it :)

Thx RacoonQueen for posting that recipe. Will definitely give them a go this weekend. My son was keen to bake a choc version so I added a bit of cocoa and some Nutella to the bakingexplorer base recipe. The milk chocolate was cheap stuff from Aldi which didn't melt well and consequently was a nightmare to try and pipe. Kids loved them though!

Should have set up me own affiliate link for those doughnut pans :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I made lemon flavoured Turkish Delight for the first time recently!

It turned out very well, but it really doesn't last long... it turned into a puddle after a few days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

woodchuck wrote: »

It turned out very well, but it really doesn't last long... it turned into a puddle after a few days :eek:

It looks delicious!
    The 'turning to puddle' thing is a common Turkish Delight issue. If you're planning to store it (rather than serve/eat it straight away) you need to coat it in cornflour instead of icing sugar, and store it airtight in a cool place (not the fridge, as it's too cold). You can always knock off some of the excess cornflour and coat it again in icing sugar before serving if you don't like the taste/texture of the cornflour, but remember that the icing sugar coating will cause moisture to be absorbed from the atmosphere by the Turkish Delight, as well as drawing moisture out of the Turkish Delight itself. #science

Ah, that's good to know dee, thanks! I just coated them in icing sugar (stored in tupperware at room temperature). I had seen some recipes recommending to coat them in a combination of icing sugar and cornflour... but they didn't explain why cornflour would be needed, so I just went with the sweetest option :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

woodchuck wrote: »

That looks amazing.

Mind to share how?

Of course :) I just used a slightly modified version of the recipe here:
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/turkish-delight-521388

I halved the recipe, because it was huge! And I just used lemon extract and yellow food colouring instead of rosewater and red food colouring.

It's an american recipe though, so it involved a little conversion maths... and figuring out that cornstarch is the same thing as cornflour :P

• Advertisement

For the day that's in it. Mums favourite, Tiramisu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

God I love tiramisu.

Now I'm sad because I have no tiramisu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I started off making a cherry cake but whilst rummaging through the baking press I found a 1/4 bag of brandy soaked mixed fruit so it's now a cherry & fruit cake :pac: Just gone into the cooker now so will be interesting to see how it comes out.
    On a side note, I've managed to get better at managing temperature in the solid fuel cooker so mostly bake in that these days \o/:D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

For the day that's in it. Mums favourite, Tiramisu.

That looks like an absolutely fabulous tiramisu. Nice tall, distinct layers. Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mother’s Day cake. Vanilla sponge, raspberry jam and Italian buttercream filling. The buttercream was DELICIOUS. Not overly sickly sweet and so smooth. Very easy to work with and doesn’t dry crunchy either.

I coloured the fondant and cut the flowers out myself and that was an absolute pain but sure my Mam is worth it :)

476965.jpeg

That is unbelievable Michellenman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

That looks so amazing.
    What did you use for the yellow dot in the middle of the flowers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

ellejay wrote: »
    That looks so amazing.
    What did you use for the yellow dot in the middle of the flowers please.

It’s just water icing colored with yellow food gel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    Attempted cinnamon buns for the second time today. I think the recommended temperature was a bit high and they ended up a little browner than I'd like, but they are very tasty nonetheless

any recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Good bit of baking over the weekend. Can't claim credit for the porridge oats bread (unpictured) or the cookies made by the gf (but will try to claim the thanks regardless :P)

477320.jpg

I did, however, whip up these chocolate cupcakes with an orange mascarpone frosting. First time trying mascarpone frosting and the first attempt was a disaster. Instructions only said, "Don't overbeat." And, of course, that's exactly what I did - ended up with curdled goop. Bleugh!

Second time around, I whipped up the double cream in one bowl, an initial beat of the mascarpone in the second before adding the icing sugar, orange juice and zest and beating a little more. And then folded in the double cream.

Turned out very well the second time around. Still no piping kit so tried a food bag with a hole cut in the corner - bit better than the spoonful on top, but still plenty of practice to be done :)

477321.jpg

🤪

Advertisement