Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

In other news, Kings reportedly shopping Boogie.......

Make it happen Danny.

4 teams interested in Dwight - though for the life of me I can't understand why. They were Charlotte, Orlando, Milwaukee and Portland for anyone who is interested.

Iv given up on the boogie trade rumors can't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I'm a Celtics fan - of course I don't like the lakers! :pac:;)

Now joking aside, I'll go through each of your retorts example by example....

Kerr served his time in management before getting a head coaching job. And he was a far better player than Walton ever was.

Stephens wasn't an NBA player, yes. But he coached a relatively unknown University programme to back to back NCAA championship games. put simply, he was a coach with LOTS of experience. No-one really doubted Stephens would be a good coach. No-one really knows what Walton would be like.

Not to be pedantic but Walton was a bench warmer when the Lakers were "at their height". He barely played in either of those championship seasons.

Do you need to have been a good player to coach? No. Can you be a good coach without having played at the highest level? Yes. HOWEVER, being an average player and a relatively unknown coaching quantity doesn't mean you should get a head coaching job either.

Last 3 Lakers coaches were Brown, D'Antoni and Scott. All 3 were awful. All 3 were fired. All 3 were hired by the same two people as appointed Walton by the way (Kupchack and Buss).

I just don't get why you've give the reigns to the team to an unknown quantity. They fired Scott to get Walton. Thibs was on the market until last week so they could have moved to get him early if they wanted. Who would you rather trust a troubled franchise to? That Lakers team next year will still be pretty bad btw - with Walton or anyone else. Their roster is very weak and there's a ton of chemistry issues. They'll likely be lottery next year too.

I know it's easy for me to say this, but if I were in Walton's shoes I think I might have hung around GS for a few more years and learn my trade there before making the move into Head Coaching.
    You mention the previous 3 coaches and their failure, all 3 had plenty of experience. Its time for a fresh way of thinking, I agree with you about Kupchack and Buss, they havent a clue and while I would have took Ollie myself, Im more than happy with Walton, their is little expectation which should allow Walton to grow with the team, plus if you see the way Scott treated Russell, I never want a old school coach again. Thibs doesnt suit the Lakers current squad not a single players is his style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Walton to coach Lakers next year, fair play to him, I think he will do well there. He will be a better coach than player and was a successful player.

I don't get the hype for Walton. Average (at best) player who in his best year averaged 11ppg, but for most of his career average 1-3ppg.

If his surname wasn't Walton, he'd not have been in the NBA for as long as he was. Seriously.

That aside and focusing on the coaching, the guy is 36. He has 43 games as interim head coach on the statistically greatest team of all time. A team that if you or I coached, would likely have had a similar outcome.

I don't know Walton personally obviously. He could be the greatest thing ever, but I doubt it.Walton's entire coaching resume is as follows - part of one year as a college assistant (during the lockout), , one year as a D-League development coach for the Lakers’ affiliate, and two years on Kerr’s bench Let me put it this way.....if he was a black coach whose dad wasn't an NBA legend, had 43 games head coaching experience, had spent the vast majority o his career on the bench, do you really think he'd get this job?

Jason Kidd never coached as much as a high school game when he got the Milwaukeee gig. It's the same thing.

Gentry (who was ahead of Walton on the Warrior's coaching roster just 12 months ago) hasn't exactly been a huge success. It's not just about taking a guy from a winning franchise and making him your coach.

I'm not a huge fan of soccer, but at least ex players have to do coaching badges before they get a job. In the NBA it seems you can just rock up and coach a pro team from Day 1.
    Add your reply here. You are dead right in everything you say, I suppose you can look at it as the glass being half empty where as Iam trying to see it as the glass half full.
    On Waltons credentials, would he of got the gig if his last name wasn't Walton ? hell no, he probably wouldn't of made the D league if he wasn't a Walton but he did and made a nice career for himself. He is known for having a very good basketball brain and has been surrounded by success and winners all his career.
    Coaching in the NBA is less about xs & os but about managing players and their egos,and getting them to buy into a system no matter how simple it is.
    In my opinion he has the traits to do this, granted when he was warriors coach he had kerr at all the home games in the locker room plus theses players need little coaching.

He will benefit from not having Kobe there, his success will come down to whom he surrounds himself with, Kerr did a great job of having experienced staff helping him in his first year.
    The Lakers are a bit of a mess right now so expectations will be low.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Anybody staying up for Spurs - Okc tonight? I'm hoping to catch the first half live tonight anyway. Looks like this could be a great series, hopefully it can kick start the playoffs a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Hard to see Oklahoma winning this one.

• Advertisement

Anybody staying up for Spurs - Okc tonight? I'm hoping to catch the first half live tonight anyway. Looks like this could be a great series, hopefully it can kick start the playoffs a bit.
    Looking forward to it, OKC have been playing well, Westbrook has been sensational second half of the season. It could be a fantastic series, then again it could be the Spurs being the Spurs and dominating the series.

And the Spurs are humiliating Okc right now, truly dominating performance by the Spurs. One does have to question what the hell Okc are playing at, atrocious defense on the pick and roll, leaving guys wide open for 3's, its just too easy. Donovan should of called every timeout he had, put in a bench player to rough things up a bit, do something, Donovan is a college coach and probably has little control over this team, Westbrook and Durant call the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

That was a beat down.

Team ball V Iso ball.

Men against boys.

Call it what you want.

Where it's most obvious is not in broken play but when they get into sets. OKC are too narrow, where as SA's spacing is so obvious - they have guys practically touching the sideline on almost every set play.

I know it's just one game, but you can't see OKC winning that series based on that performance.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Iv given up on the boogie trade rumors can't see it happening

I would agree had they made the playoffs this year. Their failure to that despite adding Rondo says to me they need to roll the dice in a different direction, if for no other reason than I suspect he may walk when his contract is up if they continue to go to the lottery (and waste their lottery picks too btw). They're faced with the choice of trading him for assets or losing him for nowt in the coming years. Recent NBA history suggests teams in this situation usually (but not always) trade for something.

I would agree had they made the playoffs this year. Their failure to that despite adding Rondo says to me they need to roll the dice in a different direction, if for no other reason than I suspect he may walk when his contract is up if they continue to go to the lottery (and waste their lottery picks too btw). They're faced with the choice of trading him for assets or losing him for nowt in the coming years. Recent NBA history suggests teams in this situation usually (but not always) trade for something.

Applying logic to the Kings is pointless

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    Applying logic to the Kings is pointless

Good point!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Glad I didn't stay up for much of that!

Today should be a great day though. Two game 7's and the Warriors in action.

Heat beat the crap out of the Hornets in Game 7. Very poor showing for a game 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone who thought the clippers would have beaten the Warriors sans Steph needs to go for a long walk :-)

Was going to stay up and watch the Raptors but they have broken my heart to much

astonaidan wrote: »
    Was going to stay up and watch the Raptors but they have broken my heart to much

And they very nearly did again, jesus they made hard work of winning that, the last few mins were hard to watch, they were playing not to lose rather than to win.
    They got lucky at the end cos derozan did foul the pacers player, then the pacers for some reason I will never know waited 9 secs to foul.

And they very nearly did again, jesus they made hard work of winning that, the last few mins were hard to watch, they were playing not to lose rather than to win.
    They got lucky at the end cos derozan did foul the pacers player, then the pacers for some reason I will never know waited 9 secs to foul.

I was reading something somewhere over the weekend which listed the 50 players with the worst fg% in playoff history. Lowry and DeRozan were both in the top 10......as in top 10 worst. Crazy!

DeRozan went 10 for 32 yesterday. He did have 30 points, but still.

Hah I know its like lets give it time, madness I say

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Anyone who thought the clippers would have beaten the Warriors sans Steph needs to go for a long walk :-)

You can't base a blow out of Portland on how a series against the clippers would have looked. The key strengths the clips would (emphasis on would) have had against GS minus Steph would have been at point guard with Paul (who was on fire in the last few months - with Paul in the line up the clippers were the 2 ranked offence in the league, without him they were 29th), and their bigs.

To clarify - and I've been consistent on this all year - healthy, no one can beat GS in 7. No one. I also do not like the clippers. But if you take Steph out of the GS team and have a fully healthy clippers team in play off basketball that will be close.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes Steph to get his eye back in and be "game fit" when he comes back. At current pace SA will take OKC in 5 or less (maybe even sweep). In that case it would bizarrely be in GS's interest to lose a game or two against Portland to give curry as much time to recover as possible or to just get him some game time towards the end of that series if possible to have him ready for SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Sucks....but they fought til the end and didn't roll over and die like Charlotte did in Miami or like Boston did at home in game 6. Paul George was amazing. The best player in the playoffs so far.

Larry has a big offseason ahead.

All in all, they could have advanced, but for a transition/rebuild on the fly year, this felt like a success.

On the timing of conference call with Simon:

“He’s busy, so it could be a week or it could be tomorrow,” Bird said early Monday evening. “What I don’t want to do is leave Frank hanging – there’s other jobs out there he could get.”

That....Doesnt sound great for Frank.

We replace Frank Vogel with a guy like D'antoni or Byron Scott or Brian Shaw and we might as well start packing Paul's bags for the summer of 2019 ourselves. Basketball malpractice about to take place here.

You can't base a blow out of Portland on how a series against the clippers would have looked. The key strengths the clips would (emphasis on would) have had against GS minus Steph would have been at point guard with Paul (who was on fire in the last few months - with Paul in the line up the clippers were the 2 ranked offence in the league, without him they were 29th), and their bigs.

To clarify - and I've been consistent on this all year - healthy, no one can beat GS in 7. No one. I also do not like the clippers. But if you take Steph out of the GS team and have a fully healthy clippers team in play off basketball that will be close.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes Steph to get his eye back in and be "game fit" when he comes back. At current pace SA will take OKC in 5 or less (maybe even sweep). In that case it would bizarrely be in GS's interest to lose a game or two against Portland to give curry as much time to recover as possible or to just get him some game time towards the end of that series if possible to have him ready for SA.

Well, I make money out of it :)

Backed Cleveland at 1/3 tonight just in case you think I'm talking through my arse.

Backed Cleveland at 1/3 tonight just in case you think I'm talking through my arse.

Throwing down the gauntlet alright.

Yes. the one and only ****ing king. Get in there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Shocking officiating at the end of the Spurs/Thunder game. How Waiters elbow on Manu wasn't called, I'll never know

D2D wrote: »
    Shocking officiating at the end of the Spurs/Thunder game. How Waiters elbow on Manu wasn't called, I'll never know

I thought Cleveland got some home town calls at times as well. Some of fouls called on Hawks in last quarter were dubious to say the least!

I thought Cleveland got some home town calls at times as well. Some of fouls called on Hawks in last quarter were dubious to say the least!

As long as Cleveland have Lebron they will get a lot of calls

D2D wrote: »

It would take a VERY brave referee to call that in such a big game. It would however have been the right call. What's most disappointing is that is was literally right in front of the ref.

NBA refereeing has long been poor, they have a big problem there. Between traveling for fun and superstar calls (or no-calls) they have a problem that they've failed to deal with for years.

All that said, that was some performance from OKC, and a turnaround I'll put my hands up and say I didn't think they had in them after the Game 1 massacre. For context, that's only the second time this year that San An have lost at home (the other loss was to GSW). Still fancy San An in 7, but after that, I wouldn't be surprised if either team won it now.

• Advertisement

I've just re-watched that last play.

If you really break it down there's violations/fouls all over the place.

Prior to the elbow, Ginobli steps on the out of bounds line (violation). Forgivable to miss it as it's so minor (he barely steps on it, part of the foot, not whole foot or over the line).

The elbow obviously. Unforgivable IMO as the ref is standing there.

The jersey grab on Aldridge - possibly forgivable as hard to see it.

One thing I didn't see last night though was the fan(s) who grabbed Adams as he tried to block the final shot and his momentum carried him into the crowd. Imagine if he had reacted more than he did? Say like a Ron Artest type reaction? :) That dude (SA) would do serious damage.....

Advertisement