Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm still a Spurs man, but if you didn't like prime MJ (or prime Lebron) you don't like basketball!

Prime MJ yes. I wasn't a big prime LeBron fan though. Never warmed to the guy, and after "the decision" that turned to actively disliking him. I've mellowed on him recently, but I just can't admire him in the way I would/have other players.

Home court advantage for OKC now against the Spurs. The two headed beast of Durant and Westbrook could be about to deliver their biggest coup to date.

After game 1 I honestly couldn't see a way back for them in this series, I even thought a sweep might be on the cards. Fair play to them for turning it around but they still have to finish it. There's so much riding on this for OKC, if they win the big boys could actually stay; lose and I think they leave.

I'm surprised too at how poor San An have been since game 1, something just isn't clicking for them. Wouldn't rule them out of it yet though, you can't rule any team coached by pop out until they're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'm still a Spurs man, but if you didn't like prime MJ (or prime Lebron) you don't like basketball!

Exactly.

People can be admiring of teams and players without being "fanboys".

I have no emotional or personal connection to Le Bron or Cleveland or Curry and Oakland, but I'm not going to apologise for enjoying them when they are in full flight.

Regarding SAS, they look curiously tired or something. Perhaps they are half focused on Oakland, rather than the job in hand? Next game should be classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

**** Lebron.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Exactly.

People can be admiring of teams and players without being "fanboys".

I was referring to the bandwagon hopping on Curry.
    Years ago (long before he was even an All Star) there was a great "debate" on here about the Top 10 PGs in the NBA. I was laughed at for putting Curry in my 10. Then we had "the great John Wall debate" (a true highlight in hilarity if you care to read back on it) - I rated Curry ahead of Wall in both where they were at the time and the upside. I was laughed at. GS were my pre-season tip last year to win it all - again I was laughed at.

Read back over my posts and you'll see all of the above if you think I'm making it up.

I'm just fed up of everyone saying they knew Curry would be great all along and they've been on him since Day 1. BS.

If you've read my posts over the years you'll see I'm more of a fan of players than teams. I'm a Celtics fan by virtue of that's the team I liked most when i started playing (many, many years ago). I recently listed my favourite players of all time, only 1 was a Celtic.

I'm lucky enough to have seen a lot of NBA, Euroleague, Eurobasket and World Championship games in the flesh. I'm also lucky enough to have played with and against some NBA players (not the truly elites, but guys who played in the league nonetheless). I'd like to think my eye is trained enough at this stage to notice the small differences that distinguish the good from the great.
    Exactly.
    I have no emotional or personal connection to Le Bron or Cleveland or Curry and Oakland, but I'm not going to apologise for enjoying them when they are in full flight.

Who's asking you to apologise? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm looking forward to it too, but I will be cheering for anyone bar LeJon. I'd rather GS, San An or OKC win it all over Cleveland tbh.

Back to the Finals. It's interesting to see LeJon is playing more team ball in these play offs than last year. People on here mistakenly gave LeJon massive credit for his performances in last year's Finals saying he almost won it single handed. He actually was the major reason they didn't win. For the Cavs to beat GS, LeJon doesn't have to score 40-45+, he actually has to score less. The other players have do score more in a more balanced way - again I've posted on this more than once over the last year.

Oh another Curry stat that people may not be aware of - guess who led the league in hockey assists this year? Before anyone says that's not a real assist, it may not be officially ranked as such but ask guys who've played/coached at higher levels and they'll tell you the most important pass is the pass intermediately before the actual assist. If I had more time I'd go into more detail on this, but I'm sure if you're really interested you can google it.

• Advertisement

Regarding SAS, they look curiously tired or something.

At least, we agree on something! :D

I still have the Spurs winning that series. Can't see them losing two games in a row.

At least, we agree on something! :D

:)

Oh another Curry stat that people may not be aware of - guess who led the league in hockey assists this year? Before anyone says that's not a real assist, it may not be officially ranked as such but ask guys who've played/coached at higher levels and they'll tell you the most important pass is the pass intermediately before the actual assist. If I had more time I'd go into more detail on this, but I'm sure if you're really interested you can google it.

Mmmm. That is an interesting one. I have occasionally had bets on players making assists - Green can be good punt at times as he tends to be under-estimated - but the pass to the assister is probably the crucial one.

And speaking of the "lesser lights", I thought Adams was outstanding last night.

You are right about Le Bron to the extent that he is such a dominating/domineering figure that it becomes a negative factor. I would not be surprised if there are Cleveland players thinking "fk you Le Bron"occassionally :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I was referring to the bandwagon hopping on Curry.
    Years ago (long before he was even an All Star) there was a great "debate" on here about the Top 10 PGs in the NBA. I was laughed at for putting Curry in my 10. Then we had "the great John Wall debate" (a true highlight in hilarity if you care to read back on it) - I rated Curry ahead of Wall in both where they were at the time and the upside. I was laughed at. GS were my pre-season tip last year to win it all - again I was laughed at.

Read back over my posts and you'll see all of the above if you think I'm making it up.

I'm just fed up of everyone saying they knew Curry would be great all along and they've been on him since Day 1. BS.

If you've read my posts over the years you'll see I'm more of a fan of players than teams. I'm a Celtics fan by virtue of that's the team I liked most when i started playing (many, many years ago). I recently listed my favourite players of all time, only 1 was a Celtic.

I'm lucky enough to have seen a lot of NBA, Euroleague, Eurobasket and World Championship games in the flesh. I'm also lucky enough to have played with and against some NBA players (not the truly elites, but guys who played in the league nonetheless). I'd like to think my eye is trained enough at this stage to notice the small differences that distinguish the good from the great.

I'm looking forward to it too, but I will be cheering for anyone bar LeJon. I'd rather GS, San An or OKC win it all over Cleveland tbh.

Back to the Finals. It's interesting to see LeJon is playing more team ball in these play offs than last year. People on here mistakenly gave LeJon massive credit for his performances in last year's Finals saying he almost won it single handed. He actually was the major reason they didn't win. For the Cavs to beat GS, LeJon doesn't have to score 40-45+, he actually has to score less. The other players have do score more in a more balanced way - again I've posted on this more than once over the last year.

Ah hindsight, easy to bring up when your right, eagerly ignored when incorrect. You sound kinda angry people arent bowing to your might.

I agree with you on LBJ last year, people were saying he should be MVP, for being a ball hog, christ

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ah hindsight, easy to bring up when your right, eagerly ignored when incorrect. You sound kinda angry people arent bowing to your might.

Nope, not angry at all. I'm just a little amazed :rolleyes: at how suddenly people are all on Curry. I'll post as quickly when I'm wrong. I posted after game 1 of the Spurs OKC series I could see the Spurs sweeping them. I got that one badly wrong obviously. I have posted more than once since giving props to OKC for coming back into the series, after game 2 and after game 5 as recently as earlier today (or was that yesterday? I honestly forget!).

Final post for the night - just watched episode 11 of Billions. Kobe gets a mention - the quote was something like "you're like Kobe on a 2 for 18 night, you're still going to take the next shot thinking this one will definitely go in". The person at whom it's directed takes great offence and says "not Kobe please, if you'd said Steph Curry or MJ I'd be ok with that" (or something similar). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I am one of them and i think fair is fair and he should be given massive credit for his performances in the finals last year. He led the finals in scoring (whilst shooting at 40%), rebounds and assists. Yet hes the major reason they lost.......Of course he played almost every minute but its still an impressive achievement.

If the Cavs did win that he WOULD have done it single handedly, why?, because he was playing with Thompson, Delle, Smith and Shumpert.

Of course hes playing more team ball this year because he actually has a team that the Cavs can count on with Irving, Love and a much improved Smith.

I, like yourself, want any of the remaining teams from the West to win it ahead of the cavs mainly because I cant stand Lebron. But whilst his performances last year were selfish, because he had no other real option, they were immense all the same.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I am one of them and i think fair is fair and he should be given massive credit for his performances in the finals last year. He led the finals in scoring (whilst shooting at 40%), rebounds and assists. Yet hes the major reason they lost.......Of course he played almost every minute but its still an impressive achievement.

If the Cavs did win that he WOULD have done it single handedly, why?, because he was playing with Thompson, Delle, Smith and Shumpert.

Of course hes playing more team ball this year because he actually has a team that the Cavs can count on with Irving, Love and a much improved Smith.

I, like yourself, want any of the remaining teams from the West to win it ahead of the cavs mainly because I cant stand Lebron. But whilst his performances last year were selfish, because he had no other real option, they were immense all the same.

Giving a guy credit for individual stat lines is one thing, giving him the MVP of the finals when his team lost is another.

I often hear people talk about lejon's "high basketball IQ". Well he fell for the trap GS laid for him last year. GS didn't care if he scored 50 as they knew that would mess up the very things required to beat them - team work and discipline. GS (despite having Curry and Thompson as high performance scorers) are a team and play team ball - look at their crazy team assists numbers over the last few years. And the fact they get so many assists speaks of the passing nature and spacing the team employs. Last year on the finals Lejon went full on 1 v 5. You can't win that way against one of the defensive teams in the league AND one that shares the ball like they do.

I honestly think he'll revert to type again this year if it's Cavs v GS.

IF they're all healthy, there's no way I can see the Cavs beating GS 4 times out of 7. No way.

Giving a guy credit for individual stat lines is one thing, giving him the MVP of the finals when his team lost is another.

I often hear people talk about lejon's "high basketball IQ". Well he fell for the trap GS laid for him last year. GS didn't care if he scored 50 as they knew that would mess up the very things required to beat them - team work and discipline. GS (despite having Curry and Thompson as high performance scorers) are a team and play team ball - look at their crazy team assists numbers over the last few years. And the fact they get so many assists speaks of the passing nature and spacing the team employs. Last year on the finals Lejon went full on 1 v 5. You can't win that way against one of the defensive teams in the league AND one that shares the ball like they do.

I honestly think he'll revert to type again this year if it's Cavs v GS.

IF they're all healthy, there's no way I can see the Cavs beating GS 4 times out of 7. No way.

I dont disagree with a thing you said there but im not sure its the same as wat you mentioned in the previous post.

Of course the Cavs were screwed from the start last year. Whether he played team ball or not they were not going to beat GS. But I think that, with his supporting cast last year, he gave the cavs the best chance of having a competitive series.

And the MVP on a losing side is a joke. No time for that

Nope, not angry at all. I'm just a little amazed :rolleyes: at how suddenly people are all on Curry. I'll post as quickly when I'm wrong. I posted after game 1 of the Spurs OKC series I could see the Spurs sweeping them. I got that one badly wrong obviously. I have posted more than once since giving props to OKC for coming back into the series, after game 2 and after game 5 as recently as earlier today (or was that yesterday? I honestly forget!).

Final post for the night - just watched episode 11 of Billions. Kobe gets a mention - the quote was something like "you're like Kobe on a 2 for 18 night, you're still going to take the next shot thinking this one will definitely go in". The person at whom it's directed takes great offence and says "not Kobe please, if you'd said Steph Curry or MJ I'd be ok with that" (or something similar). :D

Ah but the difference is you put out a essay about how right you were about Curry, so tell me then which current next generation player do you see being the next big. You see you could get it right, but you could also get it wrong.
    Scouts had Telfair as a cant miss prospect and well you see how that turned out. I think you need a bit of a reality check, people are allowed to change their view on Curry.
    As I said hindsight its easy to blow your horn

Im not sure how the quote is relevant tbh, surely youve read Jordans view on taking shots. Constantly dissing of Kobe shows a massive bias and well makes you looks very childish:rolleyes:

I dont disagree with a thing you said there but im not sure its the same as wat you mentioned in the previous post.

It pretty much is. Not arguing by the way!

Of course the Cavs were screwed from the start last year. Whether he played team ball or not they were not going to beat GS. But I think that, with his supporting cast last year, he gave the cavs the best chance of having a competitive series.

Strangely I don't. I can see your point but here's why I think it won't be - with the caveat they're all healthy of course. Are the Cavs better this year than last? No question. But so are the Warriors. And I'd argue the warriors improvement year on year is better than the Cavs.

Last year I think GS suffered from a little stage fright in Games 1 and 2, making the finals seem closer than they really were on a scoreline front. Understandable as they'd never been in the finals before, but that won't happen this year. This team have too much talent, belief in the system and crucially, in themselves now folliowing their play over the last 2 seasons.

GS were 79-20 in 2014/15 (incl. Playoffs), they're 81-11 this season so far. That's 160-31 in total. They have a max of 2 sets of 7 games left this year. Hard to see them losing 4 in either of those 2 sets of 7. I'd give OKC or San An a better chance of beating them than the Cavs btw too.
    And the MVP on a losing side is a joke. No time for that

100% agree.

Ah but the difference is you put out a essay about how right you were about Curry, so tell me then which current next generation player do you see being the next big. You see you could get it right, but you could also get it wrong.
    Scouts had Telfair as a cant miss prospect and well you see how that turned out. I think you need a bit of a reality check, people are allowed to change their view on Curry.
    As I said hindsight its easy to blow your horn

Im not sure how the quote is relevant tbh, surely youve read Jordans view on taking shots. Constantly dissing of Kobe shows a massive bias and well makes you looks very childish:rolleyes:

I also wrote an essay on Jimmer at draft time saying he was a waste of a pick and despite the outstanding range the guy had in college he was too small and slow (these are relative terms of course) to be able to replicate that in the NBA.

I'm not saying people can't change their mind, it's just the way it's happened - particularly in the US.

Of course I get things wrong! Jesus I'm not perfect by any means or measure.

Haven't seen enough college ball this year (or the last few to be honest about it) to make a call on the next big thing. Pros wise, let me think about it and come back to you maybe?

Constantly dissing Kobe? I've had a few pops at him sure but it's not like I'm saying he's useless. For the record, I think he's insanely talented. I've seen him play in the flesh (Lakers and the 2008 Olympic Team) and he was unbelievably good - like he had an aura around him on the court - it felt like some of the other players were actually in awe of him. Part of his strength is his stubbornness, but it's also part of his weakness. And I'm sorry but going out and taking 50 shots in your last game is a bit of a d*ck move in my eyes. You know what would have impressed me? If he went out and had 10 assists in his last game. I can also imagine playing with Kobe in the last few years must have sucked major ass for all concerned.

It's not like I'm hating on him like I hate on Melo! ;);):D At least Kobe wants to win. I've said it before and I stand by it - Melo would rather score 40 and lose than 2 and win. The Black Hole of Basketball, once you pass the ball to Melo you might as well go back to your own half and get ready to play D.

San Antoine are 5/4 favourites to beat OKC tonight.

Should be great game, but finding it difficult to see how Spurs be favourites on their court after what we've seen so far.

Strangely I don't. I can see your point but here's why I think it won't be - with the caveat they're all healthy of course. Are the Cavs better this year than last? No question. But so are the Warriors. And I'd argue the warriors improvement year on year is better than the Cavs.

Last year I think GS suffered from a little stage fright in Games 1 and 2, making the finals seem closer than they really were on a scoreline front. Understandable as they'd never been in the finals before, but that won't happen this year. This team have too much talent, belief in the system and crucially, in themselves now folliowing their play over the last 2 seasons.

GS were 79-20 in 2014/15 (incl. Playoffs), they're 81-11 this season so far. That's 160-31 in total. They have a max of 2 sets of 7 games left this year. Hard to see them losing 4 in either of those 2 sets of 7. I'd give OKC or San An a better chance of beating them than the Cavs btw too.

Of course the warriors are better this year than last. They just went 73-9....

I think your hatred of LeBron might be getting you worked up as you type:)

I was saying that the way he played last year was the only way they may have had any chance of winning. Playing team ball seems a hell of a lot easier when youve got iggy, bogut, livingston, thompson, green, barnes etc....If you only have delle and tristan thompson then what chance do you have?

I hope the cavs dont win but when they get to the finals then they will be better set up than last year and then well see if lebron plays for himself or the team

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

San Antoine are 5/4 favourites to beat OKC tonight.

Should be a great game, but finding it difficult to see how Spurs be favourites on their court after what we've seen so far.

As long as Russ plays like he did on Game 4 (and not bricklaying) they'll get the better of the Spurs. But, time and time again, the Spurs always rise above challenge.

excited for later!

• Advertisement

mjavi wrote: »
    As long as Russ plays like he did on Game 4 (and not bricklaying) they'll get the better of the Spurs. But, time and time again, the Spurs always rise above challenge.

excited for later!

Should be one of the great games of the year. Went for cowardly bottom feeding overs at 187.5!

Should be one of the great games of the year. Went for cowardly bottom feeding overs at 187.5!

Not sure that's a cowardly play. With either of these teams (but particularly San An) they can go for low 80s or 120+.....for different reasons. Spurs can beat you in a high or low scoring game with D (as evidenced by their win over GS), but if the thunder are only scoring 80 you know they're getting spanked.

If it was game 7 with tension mounting I'd take San An, but not sure tonight.

In fairness to Westbrook (and I've been heavily critical of him in the past) he's playing incredibly well even if he is still prone to the occasional brain fart.

It's like 2012 again in some respects where San An were on a 22 game win streak including the first 2 v OKC in the west finals, then somehow lost 4 straight. I think if OKC are to beat them, they have to do it tonight at home.

mjavi wrote: »

excited for later!

That's just it though isn't it? Which Russ comes to play? Triple double Russ or 30 shot Russ.

And that's before we mention pop....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Spurs to win tonight for me. Gut feeling.

Billions Episode 12: Coach K gets a mention to add to the Kobe, MJ and Steph Curry mentions from Episode 11. They obviously have a basketball fan on the writing staff. ;)

I also wrote an essay on Jimmer at draft time saying he was a waste of a pick and despite the outstanding range the guy had in college he was too small and slow (these are relative terms of course) to be able to replicate that in the NBA.

I'm not saying people can't change their mind, it's just the way it's happened - particularly in the US.

Of course I get things wrong! Jesus I'm not perfect by any means or measure.

Haven't seen enough college ball this year (or the last few to be honest about it) to make a call on the next big thing. Pros wise, let me think about it and come back to you maybe?

Constantly dissing Kobe? I've had a few pops at him sure but it's not like I'm saying he's useless. For the record, I think he's insanely talented. I've seen him play in the flesh (Lakers and the 2008 Olympic Team) and he was unbelievably good - like he had an aura around him on the court - it felt like some of the other players were actually in awe of him. Part of his strength is his stubbornness, but it's also part of his weakness. And I'm sorry but going out and taking 50 shots in your last game is a bit of a d*ck move in my eyes. You know what would have impressed me? If he went out and had 10 assists in his last game. I can also imagine playing with Kobe in the last few years must have sucked major ass for all concerned.

It's not like I'm hating on him like I hate on Melo! ;);):D At least Kobe wants to win. I've said it before and I stand by it - Melo would rather score 40 and lose than 2 and win. The Black Hole of Basketball, once you pass the ball to Melo you might as well go back to your own half and get ready to play D.

Think everyone knew that about Jimmer tbh, it took Sacramento to draft him in first round, like I think he could carve a career yet but he is to small for a SG and just isnt a PG.
    Why are you getting so cranky on a Irish site about Curry though, the big thing about him was his injuries, did people ever doubt his talent
    How is taking 50 shots in your last game a dick move, it was a nothing game, people were their to see him gun. He was told by everyone to gun, it was in no way a dick move, its not like he shot 50 every game. Anyways you seem to post more than a few pops at him, hence why I noticed it, if I did when I mostly just browse this forum it kinda shows.
    I liked Melo till he decided to stay in NY, that was his moment to prove he wanted to win, Chicago was their in the perfect position for him
    Just one final thing about Curry, do I think hes MVP yes, do I think a player like Lillard could be 99% as effective in GSW 100% yes

I think talking about betting is boring but for the sake of it I've gone for Spurs HT/FT @ 7/4

All over in OKC. Hard to believe San An are done. Kinda sad :(

Think everyone knew that about Jimmer tbh, it took Sacramento to draft him in first round, like I think he could carve a career yet but he is to small for a SG and just isnt a PG.
    Why are you getting so cranky on a Irish site about Curry though, the big thing about him was his injuries, did people ever doubt his talent
    How is taking 50 shots in your last game a dick move, it was a nothing game, people were their to see him gun. He was told by everyone to gun, it was in no way a dick move, its not like he shot 50 every game. Anyways you seem to post more than a few pops at him, hence why I noticed it, if I did when I mostly just browse this forum it kinda shows.
    I liked Melo till he decided to stay in NY, that was his moment to prove he wanted to win, Chicago was their in the perfect position for him
    Just one final thing about Curry, do I think hes MVP yes, do I think a player like Lillard could be 99% as effective in GSW 100% yes

Will reply more fully in the morning but come on, to say they'd be as effective if you switched Lillard for Curry? I like Lillard (a lot actually), but Curry is better in every single part of his game.

• Advertisement

Sacramento didn't! :pac:

Can't flipping sleep so I've come back to this

I do think taking 50 shots is a dick move.It's not like he shot 50 every game? Not every single game, sure.....I can't remember the exact stats but Kobe has something like 5 of the top 8 (maybe it's 4 of 7, not sure, need sleep.....) "most gunning" (I'm too tired to even structure a sentence correctly now it seems) games in NBA history.

Melo? Yup, he blew it for himself, but he also took down Thibs and that Bulls team when he made that call. Contrast what he did for money with David West leaving millions on the table for a chance to compete with San An - it didn't work out for him but at least he tried. Melo preferred to be a big fish in small pond.

Curry V Lillard though? Seriously? How is that even a question? Curry is playing once in a generation basketball this year and last. Lillard is a very, very good player right now and has upside too, but he's not on Curry's level. And I know that's technically NOT what you said, you said he'd be 99% as effective as Curry in that Warriors team. I disagree. As good as Lillard is, he doesn't have the passing ability (1st and second/hockey assist) Curry has, nor does he have the range, nor does he have the ability to run the offence like Curry does etc. They'd prob win 65+, maybe even tip 70 games with Lillard instead of Curry, but they don't win 73, and they don't win the games they won as comfortably as they did with that adjustment.

I'd place both Chris Paul and Westbrook ahead of Lillard right now too btw.

Advertisement