Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Best Superhero Tournament!

Options
  • 15-04-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Any visitors to the Boards Wrestling forum will have seen this type of game in practice so all credit goes to the guys over there for inspiring me with the idea.

The concept is simple. I have compiled a list of 64 superheroes and randomized the names. In Round 1 I will present 'superhero ties' where you have to vote and determine which hero deserves to goes through. The reason for your choice is up to you.

The first hero to get to 3 votes qualifies for the next round and the loser gets knocked out. Please try to give a reason why you are voting the way you are.

Let me preface this by saying due to the huge number of heroes it's practically guaranteed that I have left out some big names so I apologize in advance! I have tried to give preference to the most mainstream heroes where possible, rightly or wrongly.

Okay then, let's get to Round 1's first tie:

Aquaman

250px-Aquaman_issue_1%2C_the_new_52.jpg

VS

The Crow

250px-Deadworld_10.jpg

For a long time Aquaman has been the butt of many a joke, although there has been a desire in recent times to restore the reputation of this underwater hero. The Crow by contrast came to prominence following the release of the 1994 cult film and the mysterious figure who seeks vengeance now seeks your vote.

Who goes through? You decide. It's Aquaman vs The Crow. Who is the better hero? First one to 3 goes through to the next round.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Gonna jump in and vote for Aquaman. He can be annoying and I'm not really on board with the New 52's "make Aquaman awesome" attempts but at least he's not a stupid goth kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've altered it to 3 votes as being sufficient to advance to Rd 2 in the hopes of speeding up the process.

I also will throw a vote the way of Aquaman as I feel the character has a more intriguing back story than The Crow; and, yeah, there's the whole Goth thing too. :pac:

So 1 more vote for Aquaman sees him progress.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Aquaman for the same reasons as above. Could never get into the Crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My onetime teenage inner Curehead will give The Crow a vote.

It's a cruel world once again for The Crow as Aquaman gets his 3 votes and swims into Round 2. Although The Crow picked up a vote so at least it wasn't a complete whitewash (no pun intended).

Next up it's a Marvel vs DC Clash.

The Silver Surfer

250px-Toss.png

VS

Green Lantern

250px-Green_Lantern_Rebirth_6.jpg

It's the cosmic traveller up against a whole crew of ring-wearing crime-fighters.

Who do you reckon deserves to go through? First one to 3 votes advances.

• Advertisement

The Silver Surfer is ridiculously badass. The GL Corps are just kinda not... The Surfer gets my vote for standing up to Galactus alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Great thread, if I was quicker off the mark I would have voted for The Crow earlier... the musician in me demands it...

As for the Silver Surfer Vs Green Lantern, 2 incredible interesting concepts. My vote goes to Green Lanter....
    Love the power and oath..

In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight.
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I'd vote Silver Surfer because of the Ryan Reynolds film.

TheKells wrote: »
    I'd vote Silver Surfer because of the Ryan Reynolds film.

Boo urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oooh, fun thread.

I vote Silver Surfer for this round, because the Green Lantern has always seemed kinda boring to me, and the Silver Surfer just has a lot more appeal.

• Advertisement

The Silver Surfer picks up his third vote and so cruises into the next round. Next up we have another DC vs Marvel face-off and this one is quite a contrast in styles.

John Constantine

HellblazerCVR220.jpg

VS

Captain America

250px-CaptainAmerica109.jpg

It's the Alan Moore-inspired cynical sorcerer John Constantine up against one of the most iconic heroes of all, the shield-wielding Captain America.

Who deserves to go through to the next round? Vote now.

Captain America beats everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Really dislike the Constantine character and CA is in my top 5 so easy decision here. Captain America!

This is actually a tough one because I enjoy them both, but I'm going to have to vote for Constantine on account of his sweet style...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Constantine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Captain America.

After a nail-biter it's Captain America that edges through into Round 2. Next up we have an all-Marvel clash.

Emma Frost

210px-Emma_Frost_in_current_costume.jpg

VS

Daredevil

250px-Daredevil_65.jpg

It's the X-Men's telepathic supervillain-turned-superhero Emma Frost versus one of the very few heroic lawyers out there, the blind badass Daredevil.

Who do you prefer of the two? Vote now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I am gonna go with Daredevil, simply because blind badass.

Daredevil without a doubt, not only because of the epic Netflix series, but because he's a superhero with a disability, which I know has been an inspiration to a lot of blind children over the years, which makes him even more super.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Daredevil easily enough for me, nuanced character who kicks ass.

• Advertisement

A dominant Daredevil shatters Frost's hopes and leaps into Round 2. Next up it's a Marvel vs DC bout and it's quite a strange match-up, this one.

Blade

250px-Blademu0.png

VS

Swamp Thing

Swamp_Thing_%28Kelly_Jones%27_art%29.png

It's the vampire hunter who had a successful film outing via Wesley Snipes in the late nineties against perhaps his greatest challenge: a lump of vegetable matter who as a character was reinvented by the great Alan Moore in the eighties to much acclaim.

Who do you think deserves a place in Round 2? Vote now.

As much as I loved Swamp Thing when I was a kid, I can't get enough of Vampire lore and the hunters & slayers that take 'em out, so my vote is for Blade on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Blade is the better of the two by far - it's not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Yeah another for blade, he's cool af

Blade defeats Swamp Thing to advance to the next round. Next up we have one of the biggest match-ups so far...

Thor

250px-Thor-272.jpg

VS

The Thing

250px-Thing_v2_1_coverart.jpg

It's Hammer Time vs Clobberin' Time as the Norse God Thor squares up against the Fantastic Four's powerhouse The Thing. Which hero are you backing?

That's a tough one, but I'm rolling with The Thing for this vote. G'wan ya good Thing ya!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Thor,Thing would put up a good fight but eventually Thor would overwhelm him.

Thor would turn the Thing to rubble without breaking a sweat. The Odinson bows to no one!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gotta be Thor. Pure badass.

• Advertisement

It's a hammer blow for The Thing's hopes as Thor progresses to Round 2. Next up it's an interesting Marvel vs DC clash.

Doctor Strange

250px-Doctor_Strange_Vol_4_2_Ross_Variant_Textless.jpg

VS

Rorschach

175px-Rorschach.png

It's the Sorcerer Supreme, soon to feature in a big screen adaptation, Doctor Strange versus the Watchmen's no-nonsense antihero Rorschach.

Who do you think is the better of the two? Vote now.

Advertisement