Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

res ipsa wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get a US dividend paid on Degiro? Was there a 15% or 30% deduction?

15%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

res ipsa wrote: »
    Anyone manage to get a US dividend paid on Degiro? Was there a 15% or 30% deduction?

Several. They are subject to 15% withholding tax provided that you fill out your W8-BEN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kilkenny93

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    GB shares quoted in pence, CLLN now £0.564

Edit: I know it's a small amount but do you mind me asking why you are investing in CLLN, looks a bit of a basket case at the moment

Share price took a hammering because it lost some major contracts. I'm taking a bit of a punt that in 5+ years time it wont be selling for this price. Very risk though!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tell me this now. I've tried to buy 300 quid worth of shares in 3/4 companies the past 2 weeks. I fill out the order, click buy, and a few days later, the money is back into account. Is there a minimum amount of shares you can buy insole of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

beertons wrote: »
    Tell me this now. I've tried to buy 300 quid worth of shares in 3/4 companies the past 2 weeks. I fill out the order, click buy, and a few days later, the money is back into account. Is there a minimum amount of shares you can buy insole of these?

Are you using day orders, which get cancelled at the end of the trading day?

Select GTC as order duration if you want to keep the order until it's fulfilled or cancelled by you.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Are you using day orders, which get cancelled at the end of the trading day?

Select GTC as order duration if you want to keep the order until it's fulfilled or cancelled by you.

Total noob, no idea. I'll look for GTC in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭scheister

bit of a dummy question in relation to selling shares.

Better to ask now then when I am selling them.

I currently have 3 BOI shares.
    I want to set it up so if the shares either drop to €6 or increase to €8 it will sell my shares

So if i go to sell shares and click stop limt and GTC.
    Under limit i enter €6
    Under stop loss i enter €8

it will set it up as i have outlined above??

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

scheister wrote: »
    bit of a dummy question in relation to selling shares.

Better to ask now then when I am selling them.

I currently have 3 BOI shares.
    I want to set it up so if the shares either drop to €6 or increase to €8 it will sell my shares

So if i go to sell shares and click stop limt and GTC.
    Under limit i enter €6
    Under stop loss i enter €8

it will set it up as i have outlined above??

Other way around mate. Stop loss at 6 and limit at 8

Prezatch wrote: »
    Other way around mate. Stop loss at 6 and limit at 8

Did originally try that but i am getting an error message saying the stop loss have to be higher then limit

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Actually we're looking at this wrong
    Example of a Stop-Limit Order

For example, assume that ABC Inc. is trading at $40 and an investor wants to buy the stock once it begins to show some serious upward momentum. The investor has put in a stop-limit order to buy with the stop price at $45 and the limit price at $46. If the price of ABC Inc. moves above $45 stop price, the order is activated and turns into a limit order. As long as the order can be filled under $46, which is the limit price, the trade will be filled. If the stock gaps above $46, the order will not be filled.

You might be better off putting in a limit order and a separate stop loss order

• Advertisement

Prezatch wrote: »
    Actually we're looking at this wrong

You might be better off putting in a limit order and a separate stop loss order

Thanks for that Prezatch.

Thats an interesting idea explains why it would not work for me.

I ended up putting the stop loss in place for safety anyways. more wanted to test the system and make sure i understand how it all works before i start putting any real money into the system

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Think I found before that I couldn't put both limit and stop on same thing in Degiro

Think I found before that I couldn't put both limit and stop on same thing in Degiro

Yea when i tried to put both on it warned i cud not because i could end up shorting the stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

"There is currently no connection with the stock exchange."
    "Something went wrong and your order could not be sent."
    etc.

Has anyone seen this error before? DeGiro website throwing all sorts of errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

"There is currently no connection with the stock exchange."
    "Something went wrong and your order could not be sent."
    etc.

Has anyone seen this error before? DeGiro website throwing all sorts of errors.

It is weird around 11pm at night. There is a weird period of where the system will not let you place orders or change them. It is a bizarre time like 22.43 and 23.18

You could have been in the period of the system not working. It does not have full functionality at a certain time each night

Thanks for that info. Hadn't noticed it before.

Perfect timing for when ASX opens. :rolleyes:
    It is weird around 11pm at night. There is a weird period of where the system will not let you place orders or change them. It is a bizarre time like 22.43 and 23.18

You could have been in the period of the system not working. It does not have full functionality at a certain time each night

Have any of you guys noticed all of the Degiro adverts popping up around the city? I'm not sure if I just haven't seen the before now or if they are now starting to advertise to the general public.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Have any of you guys noticed all of the Degiro adverts popping up around the city? I'm not sure if I just haven't seen the before now or if they are now starting to advertise to the general public.

Have seen then popping on billboards along with more online presents as well. generally in the last month id say and its not just in the cities they are going out to the country as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Seeing them on bus stops throughout Leinster. The more clients the safer I feel my funds are!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Seeing them on bus stops throughout Leinster. The more clients the safer I feel my funds are!
    Madoff's clients thought the same!

• Advertisement

Degiro was founded 10 years ago and they have been online for about 5 years now. I would imagine that they are safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 varese.10

Can I invest in the chinese stock market with degiro? I want to invest on alibaba and other chinese companies 
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I don't use Degiro, but I'd like to do so to trade US $ stocks. I see that it is not possible to use Transferwise or Revolut to load the account with USD; all funds inwards have to be done in Eur and exchanged into USD using Degiro's currency conversion services. Typically, Transferwise and/or Revolut are way cheaper to use for FX conversions than using Irish banks. Does the Degiro currency conversion process operate at more or less the same type of cost as Irish banks?

Sorry if I'm not clear. Perhaps ppl. are using other ways of effecting the transfers to minimise conversion costs that I'm not aware of. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

it uses fx rate but there is a 0.01% or 0.1% conversion cost. i guess its much better than banks rates actually...
    The default it to convert back to Euro when you sell the stock but you can change that also to keep in USD..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

kenyard wrote: »
    it uses fx rate but there is a 0.01% or 0.1% conversion cost. i guess its much better than banks rates actually...
    The default it to convert back to Euro when you sell the stock but you can change that also to keep in USD..

Is there a way of getting a real time rate from their site so that I could compare them with other options? Since I posted earlier, I've had a look at TD Waterhouse (now Interactive Investor) and I think they facilitate Transferwise transactions... I'm just trying to understand where I can get the most $ purchasing power for every €100 that I put in...

DeGiro fees going up. Received an email earlier.

"Starting next month, there will be a surcharge added to the following fees:
    + 0.018% on securities (except US and Canadian markets). For example, the cost of a stock transaction on the Irish Stock Exchange will become €2.00 + 0.058%.
    + €0.15 on options and futures. For example, the cost to purchase an option on Eurex will be €0.90 per contract.
    These changes will come into effect on 15/08/2018, and will stay for a maximum of 18 months...
    "

That is a significant increase in the variable fee, a 45% increase. It is currently €2.00 + 0.04%, it will be €2.00 + 0.058% from next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

euro stg FX rate today just before 5 pm Exchange rate 88.9680

Temporary levy to cover the costs of MIFID II

• Registered Users Posts: 2 p2pnex

I'd like to invest with Degiro to buy and hold index funds that will yield dividends over time. I'm located in Ireland and wondering how to report these dividends on my form 12 each year?

Also, would I have to pay any tax for purchasing these funds?
    Appreciate any help ye can provide =)

• Advertisement

p2pnex wrote: »
    I'd like to invest with Degiro to buy and hold index funds that will yield dividends over time. I'm located in Ireland and wondering how to report these dividends on my form 12 each year?

Also, would I have to pay any tax for purchasing these funds?
    Appreciate any help ye can provide =)
    No tax for purchasing the shares. I do my reporting on myAccount on revenue.ie. There is an option to report dividend income.

Advertisement