Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

I'm new to degiro and buying shares in general but I funded my account and now when I'm trying to buy some shares
    I keep getting an error message saying I can't buy due to an internal account spending limit. I have tried buying a very small amount to see if it's a problem spending to close to my total balance but same message. It says my sending limit is 0? Anyone know anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Amouar wrote: »
    Instant Payments Now Supported for Select Banks

Clients can now make instant payments to fund their DEGIRO account using Trustly.

To transfer via Trustly, go to the Deposit/Withdraw Funds section of your WebTrader. You then log in using your bank details. This service is currently supported for clients of AIB and Permanent TSB. Future bank support is expected in the future.

Please note there is a €1.00 surcharge to make transfers via Trustly.

Although I find I'd have done a lot of expensive hasty late night drunken trades if there was instant transfer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I'm new to degiro and buying shares in general but I funded my account and now when I'm trying to buy some shares
    I keep getting an error message saying I can't buy due to an internal account spending limit. I have tried buying a very small amount to see if it's a problem spending to close to my total balance but same message. It says my sending limit is 0? Anyone know anything about this?

How long have you waited for your funds? Your funds may not have fully cleared.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    How long have you waited for your funds? Your funds may not have fully cleared.

I funded the account on Wed last. Money in account since sat and now Sunday and still getting error. I have emailed them but no response yet. I did have a bit of trouble funding account in the first place.

I funded the account on Wed last. Money in account since sat and now Sunday and still getting error. I have emailed them but no response yet. I did have a bit of trouble funding account in the first place.

Might be showing up but seeing as the funds became available on the Saturday you may need to wait until Monday to place your trade.

• Advertisement

Might be showing up but seeing as the funds became available on the Saturday you may need to wait until Monday to place your trade.

Hope so thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭TheAbstracter

Do Degiro take their fees from your account when you execute the buy/sell? Or is it taken cumulatively once a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Do Degiro take their fees from your account when you execute the buy/sell? Or is it taken cumulatively once a month?

When you buy and sell.

Slightly related question, Im about to create an account with degiro but im a novice...hopefully someone on here may be able to help...i want to buy BOI and sit on them..i have a choice of accounts when setting up my personal page - custody or basic..Apparently its important to class your accont properly..the degiro rep on email couldnt advise me.i think its a custody account i need. With my profile of once off transaction would i be correct
    The fees seem small and are once off and no maintenance fees..is there something im missing degiro seems a great option compared to other Co.
    When setting up account they want PPS number and my bank details i assume this is to fund my wallet..

Marcc wrote: »
    Slightly related question, Im about to create an account with degiro but im a novice...hopefully someone on here may be able to help...i want to buy BOI and sit on them..i have a choice of accounts when setting up my personal page - custody or basic..Apparently its important to class your accont properly..the degiro rep on email couldnt advise me.i think its a custody account i need. With my profile of once off transaction would i be correct
    The fees seem small and are once off and no maintenance fees..is there something im missing degiro seems a great option compared to other Co.
    When setting up account they want PPS number and my bank details i assume this is to fund my wallet..

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/my-account/909#513/what-are-the-differences-between-a-standard-profile-and-a-custody-profile

Shares held under a basic account can be lent out by degiro (that's how they make their money). Shares held under the custody account are held separately and cannot be touched by Degiro. Dividends on shares held under custody are charged a 3% commission whereas the basic account is free from the charge.

It's up to you to make the decision, it doesn't really bother me that me shares are lent out and so I go basic on mine.

• Advertisement

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/my-account/909#513/what-are-the-differences-between-a-standard-profile-and-a-custody-profile

Shares held under a basic account can be lent out by degiro (that's how they make their money). Shares held under the custody account are held separately and cannot be touched by Degiro. Dividends on shares held under custody are charged a 3% commission whereas the basic account is free from the charge.

It's up to you to make the decision, it doesn't really bother me that me shares are lent out and so I go basic on mine.

That really helpful...Thanks so much for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tomcrows

I plan to upgrade from basic to active account and invest in some call options, is the only fee difference in the actual cost of the option, or is there an "annual service fee" attached to active account? It is not perfectly clear from their various PDF literature.

Quick question for those who have sold their positions on Degiro. Are the proceeds automatically converted to euro on sale or is there a way to specifically request that money is kept in the currency of the share/fund?

Quick question for those who have sold their positions on Degiro. Are the proceeds automatically converted to euro on sale or is there a way to specifically request that money is kept in the currency of the share/fund?

As your account is in euros the proceeds are also converted to euros. I don't think it's possible to have several currencies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sabre Man wrote: »
    As your account is in euros the proceeds are also converted to euros. I don't think it's possible to have several currencies.

It is if you turn off the auto FX option for that currency.

It is if you turn off the auto FX option for that currency.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

What happens when you turn it back on? Can you use this to buy and sell US shares and convert dollars to euros on days when the exchange rate suits you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

What happens when you turn it back on? Can you use this to buy and sell US shares and convert dollars to euros on days when the exchange rate suits you?

When you turn it back on it will convert that currency back to your account's main currency. It doesn't do it straight away though. I think it only does it when the markets are open or something like that.

Yes you can buy US shares with and convert some of your balance back to another currency. Manually converting the currency incurs different charges than doing it automatically. AutoFX works out cheaper for smaller amounts, manually converting works out cheaper for larger amounts. I'm not sure what the amount is where manually converting works out cheaper than AutoFX but it should be easy to calculate.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

When you turn it back on it will convert that currency back to your account's main currency. It doesn't do it straight away though. I think it only does it when the markets are open or something like that.

Yes you can buy US shares with and convert some of your balance back to another currency. Manually converting the currency incurs different charges than doing it automatically. AutoFX works out cheaper for smaller amounts, manually converting works out cheaper for larger amounts. I'm not sure what the amount is where manually converting works out cheaper than AutoFX but it should be easy to calculate.

it works out cheaper above 12,500 euro. (cost is 12.50 or 0.1%). after this its 10c/500 euro vs 50c/500 euro)

FOREIGN CURRENCY
    Fee A,B
    All foreign currencies via a manual trade € 10.00 + 0.02%*
    All foreign currencies via Auto FX trader 0.10% *

Can someone explain to me how to short on degiro?
    I tried selling shares and it just says i could end up in a short position. is there a way to actually short?
    I'm in margin at the moment so wondering if that is the issue..
    also fees arent very clear on them... anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just noticed that I'm due some dividends from one of my shares. Hibernia REIT.

There are 2 lines of information.

1st line says dividend 0.73.
    2nd line says Dividend Tax -0.15.

Does this mean tax is taken from source? Do I need to declare anything? It's only going to be around €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Wheety wrote: »
    Just noticed that I'm due some dividends from one of my shares. Hibernia REIT.

There are 2 lines of information.

1st line says dividend 0.73.
    2nd line says Dividend Tax -0.15.

Does this mean tax is taken from source? Do I need to declare anything? It's only going to be around €30.

US tax is taken at source. You'll still need to declare the gross dividend "1st line says dividend 0.73. " to Irish revenue for Irish tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Amouar wrote: »
    US tax is taken at source. You'll still need to declare the gross dividend "1st line says dividend 0.73. " to Irish revenue for Irish tax.

Thanks. Do you know what the dividend tax is on Degiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

Depends on your account type. They have a 3% or 4% commission if you aren't allowing them loan out your shares for shorting purpose. Otherwise it's commission free.

On that point anyone know if it's possible to short on degiro? I can't figure out how..

Not degiro specific. If you hold US shares then you are subject to 15% US withholding tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

Hi, I think this is the perfect place to get advice for my specific situation...

I'm Irish but living in Vietnam for past 6 years. I work there and pay tax there. I have an Irish AIB account; not much in it though. I have saved about 70K (in local currency, Vietnam Dong) working here. It's time to get that money somewhere safer than the banking system here; in the long run, it's not safe and inflation is a worry.

My initial idea was to contact a financial advisor specializing in expats, but his advice wasn't really up to scratch and the fees were high. So, now what I'm thinking is to send the money back to my irish bank account and then invest it using Degiro in broad-based passive ETFs (I hope this makes sense!).

Does this sound like a good plan? What potential problems do you see? Am I still liable for tax even though I'm not resident in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You're liable on tax based on your residency, typically in the country you spend more than half the year living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

You're liable on tax based on your residency, typically in the country you spend more than half the year living in.
    So I would pay tax on any profits from investing to the vietnamese government (as long as I'm living here)? I'm guessing I would have to show the irish government proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Anyone know why I have the option to buy and sell currency on mobile app but not via browser on Apple Mac?

Also, am I doing something wrong, tried selling my Twitter shares today, at 10am, they're still not sold...Went in at market order...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kilkenny93

Anyone buy GBP shares?

I recently bought shares worth €310.68 in CLLN:LN at 57.40 per share and the statement said I bought 489 shares. But 489 x 57.40 is way more than 310.68?!?

Anyone else having a factoring problem when it comes to GBX shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Kilkenny93 wrote: »
    Anyone buy GBP shares?

I recently bought shares worth €310.68 in CLLN:LN at 57.40 per share and the statement said I bought 489 shares. But 489 x 57.40 is way more than 310.68?!?

Anyone else having a factoring problem when it comes to GBX shares?

GB shares quoted in pence, CLLN now £0.564

Edit: I know it's a small amount but do you mind me asking why you are investing in CLLN, looks a bit of a basket case at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Anyone manage to get a US dividend paid on Degiro? Was there a 15% or 30% deduction?

Advertisement