Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Worst Wrestlemania Tournament... EVER!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I have a soft spot for 8. I wasn't a really bad show.

11 on the otherhand was at the serious down period in the company where post-hulkamania had lost a bit of this charm. Especially see in Mania's. Added to the nobody this side of the world knew or cared about the maineventer just 11 my vote here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yep, 11. Bam Bam. Lawrence Taylor. Main event. Those three should never be uttered in the same sentence. And yet they were.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The worst thing about 8 was that Hogan undeservedly main evented. 11 had a bad main event, but didn't even have a particularly strong undercard to compensate for that, so it has to be 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

VIII actually had a decent undercard and was spoiled by a weak main event

XI was just average throughout and gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I too have a soft spot for 8. 11 still sounds horrible on paper, so that's my choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Our last match of the round is up next, which supershow will join WM 11 in the last four? Let's find out...

WrestleMania 13

HEAT!

220px-WrestleMania13.jpg

Date : March 23, 1997
    Attendance: 18,197

Full Card

The Headbangers defeated The New Blackjacks, The Godwinns and Doug Furnas and Phil LaFon Four-way match for No1 contenders.
    Rocky Maivia (c) defeated The Sultan for the WWF Intercontinental Title
    Hunter Hearst Helmsley (with Chyna) defeated Goldust (with Marlena)
    Owen Hart and The British Bulldog (c) vs. Mankind and Vader ended in a double countout WWF Tag Team Championship
    Bret Hart beat Stone Cold Steve Austin Submission in a submission match
    The Legion of Doom and Ahmed Johnson defeated The Nation of Domination (Faarooq, Crush, and Savio Vega) in a Chicago Street Fight
    The Undertaker defeated Sycho Sid (c) for the WWF Championship

vs

WrestleMania 31

The Heist of the Century

WM31Poster.png

Date: March 29, 2015
    Attendance: 76, 976

Full Card

Tyson Kidd and Cesaro defeated The New Day (with Xavier Woods), Los Matadores and The Usos WWE Tag Team Championship
    Big Show 30-man Battle Royal for the André the Giant Memorial Trophy
    Daniel Bryan defeated Bad News Barrett (c), R-Truth, Dean Ambrose, Luke Harper, Dolph Ziggler, and Stardust Ladder match for the IC Title
    Randy Orton defeated Seth Rollins
    Triple H defeated Sting
    AJ Lee and Paige defeated The Bella Twins
    John Cena defeated Rusev (c) (with Lana) for the WWE United States Title
    The Undertaker defeated Bray Wyatt
    Seth Rollins defeated Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar (c) WWE World Heavyweight Championship via Money in the Bank cash-in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

WrestleMania XXXI. The main event was not what I wanted to see. Triple H should have put over Sting. The Divas Championship should have been defended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

31 because every major match had the result going the wrong way and failed to deliver...

13 for me. Many of the matches were crap. A real one good match event

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

13 for me too, If not for Bret vs SCSA it's be in with a shout of winning the whole thing. People were not too happy with the booking of the Sting match or the Cena match but the PPV really had a lot more to it than 13 did and a great moment with Rollins cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll go 13 as well. One match event with many poor matches accompanying it.

We are in the Final Four now and that's pertinent as that was the go home PPV for one of the entries here. We'll chance 4 votes here. Let's get to it...

WrestleMania 2

The Premier Sporting Event of the Year!

WrestleMania2.jpg

From Chicago, New York and Los Angles April 7, 1986

•Don Muraco fought Paul Orndorff to a double-count out
    •I-C Title: Champion Randy Savage pinned George "The Animal" Steele
    •Jake Roberts pinned George Welles
    •Mr. T beat Roddy Piper by DQ in a boxing match
    •Women's Title: Champ Fabulous Moolah pinned Velvet McIntyre
    •Cpl. Kirchner pinned Nikolai Volkoff
    •Andre the Giant won a battle royal featuring several NFL players by last eliminating Bret Hart
    •Tag Team Title: The British Bulldogs beat Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake
    •Ricky Steamboat pinned Hercules Hernandez
    •Adrian Adonis pinned Uncle Elmer
    •Dory & Terry Funk defeated Junkyard Dog & Tito Santana
    •WWF Title Match in a steel cage: Champ Hulk Hogan beat King Kong Bundy

Unlike the inaugural WrestleMania , there were a few good matches on this show such as The British Bulldogs vs The Dream Team but you had to go through a lot of garbage to get to them. The first part of this event, which took place at the Nassau Coliseum, had no redeeming qualities and the fans that saw the event from there had the worst WrestleMania experience in regards to the quality of the matches they saw in person. The 3 cities thing probably sounded good in someone's head but it was pretty much a bust. The most historic things to happen at this show was Refrigerator Perry eliminating John Studd from the battle royal and the debut of the blue steel cage...however that had Hogan and Bundy inside it. Other than that, a worked boxing match featuring non worker Mr.T and you have a rightly crummy event.

vs

WrestleMania 13

HEAT!

220px-WrestleMania13.jpg

From Chicago on 3/23/97

•Four Team Elimination Match: The Headbangers beat The Blackjacks, The Godwinns, & Doug Furnas & Phil Lafon
    •I-C Title: Champion Rocky Maivia beat The Sultan
    •Hunter Hearst Helmsley beat Goldust
    •Tag Team Titles: Champions Owen Hart & The British Bulldog fought Mankind & Vader to a double-count out
    •Submission Match: Bret Hart beat Steve Austin when special ref Ken Shamrock stopped the match
    •Chicago Street Fight: LOD & Ahmed Johnson beat The Nation of Domination
    •WWF Title: Undertaker beat Sid to become WWF Champion

An absolute clusterf*ck of a main event scene whereby an 'injured' Shawn Michaels lost his smile robbing fans of a Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels rematch from the previous year's Mania. Granted, we got Hart vs Austin in an epic encounter but the main event really stunk out the joint as a lumbering Sid took on Undertaker in one of the worst main events of Mania ever. The undercard was far from inspiring either and the tag titles bout ended in a double a countout... let that sink in for a minute

only real redeeming quality from either one is Bret Vs Austin, so WM2 gets my vote.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Going to vote for 2. They tried to do something unique by hosting the show in three different places, but all they ended up with was three events that weren't worth the price of attendance (imo). Main event one had a DQ finish, main event two was a kinda naff battle royal that had NFL people in it, and main event three was Hogan and frigging Bundy.

At least 13 gave me the ridiculous image of JBL with a Blackjack moustache:
    New%2BBlackjacks.jpg

WrestleMania II. I don't know what I could say that I haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Not just hogan and my obv feelings for him. But 2 is just so bad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

WrestleMania 2.

The 3 different locations gimmick was so bad.

I'll throw my vote for 2 in here. Both awful but the Hart/Austin match just saves 13 for me

Gonna pick 2 here as well. Theres some guys on there I've never even heard of!

WrestleMania 2 truly was an atrocity and rightly takes its place in the final. Which so-called Showcase of the Immortals will join it?

WrestleMania XI

First Time. Last Time. Only Time

XI-poster.jpg

From Hartford, CT on 4/2/1995

•Lex Luger & Davey Boy Smith beat Eli & Jacob Blu
    •I-C Title: Razor Ramon beat champ Jeff Jarrett by DQ.
    •Undertaker beat King Kong Bundy
    •Tag Team Title: Owen Hart & Yokozuna win the titles from The Smokin' Guns
    •I Quit Match:Bret Hart defeated Bob Backlund. Roddy Piper as guest referee.
    •WWF Title: Champion Diesel pinned Shawn Michaels
    •Lawrence Taylor pinned Bam Bam Bigelow

Man oh man this was sucky. An American football player in the main event with a midcard heel. A disgrace. You had a decent match and good storyline in Michaels vs Diesel yet they, or the World title, weren't deemed big enough for the main event slot. Other than that you have a DQ finish for a still prestigious Intercontinental title, a boring I Quit match where nobody even said the words 'I Quit' and a couple of uninspired hoss matches on the undercard. Couple all that with a crappy location in Hartford that was basically a shopping mall and you've one lacklustre mania

Vs

WrestleMania 32

The Biggest WrestleMania of all Time

wwe_wrestlemania_32_poster__3_by_crispy6664-d9t8nkc.jpg

From Dallas, Texas on 4/3/2016

•Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Championship: Zack Ryder beat Kevin Owens (C), Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Stardust, Sami Zayn and Sin Cara
    •Chris Jericho beat AJ Styles
    •The League of Nations (w/King Barrett) beat The New Day
    •No Holds Barred Street Fight: Brock Lesnar beat Dean Ambrose
    •WWE Women's Championship: Charlotte beat Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch
    •Hell in a Cell Match: Undertaker beat Shane McMahon
    •Baron Corbin won the Andre the Giant Battle Royal by last eliminating Kane
    •The Rock beat Erick Rowan
    •WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Roman Reigns beatTriple H

Although hit with multiple injuries, WWE still had a very talented roster heading into this event. However, bad and illogical booking left a sour taste in people's mouths in the aftermath. Instead of an uber fresh and popular Kevin Owens taking on arch rival and newcomer Sami Zayn in a life long grudge match for the IC Title , the fed decided to copy and paste the multi man ladder match scenario from the previous mania. An underwhelming Ambrose vs Lesnar left everyone unsatisfied, a white hot New Day lost for no reason to the heatless League of Nations in a non title match while the less said about the main event the better. The Women's match was the one of the only bright spots on this card for a change.

• Advertisement

WrestleMania XXXII. I actually enjoy WrestleMania XI in a vacuum. Shawn Michaels vs. Kevin Nash was a good to very good match, in my opinion and I guess I just like a lot more of the talent that is on that show comared to what was on WrestleMania this year. Owen Hart and Yokozuna are another highlight for me as well, because that just came from left of field, to me as an 8 year old anyway. I don't need to go into why I disliked this year's WrestleMania any further. All I'll say is there's something seriously wrong if I'm rooting for Triple H to win a match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Have to go for 32 as well; it simply did not go anywhere and felt like a very long poor RAW episode of what was suppose to be the best PPV of the year culminating the story lines and setting up the new feuds and top heels/faces for the year(s) to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I feel this years mania was very badly booked but in no way should be in the final for worst ever mania. It might have had Roman Reigns winning in the main event but 11 had a pro footballer winning the main event and for those 2 reasons I will be the decenting voice and go for Mania XI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I feel this years mania was very badly booked but in no way should be in the final for worst ever mania. It might have had Roman Reigns winning in the main event but 11 had a pro footballer winning the main event and for those 2 reasons I will be the decenting voice and go for Mania XI

Yeah I would echo this exactly. 31 had a few decent moments and the sheer size and scale gains it some big points too. WMXI for me.

But at least having that pro football player in the main event helps drive the casuals in and create headlines outside the pro wrestling magazines; what match in WM32 would make any casual decide to turn in to buy it or make headlines?

To quote a person on one of the pod casts I follow "We had our mates over and as WM was due to start we simply shrugged and decided to turn on Street Fighter V instead". These same group of people two years earlier was making an evening of it as Bryan won his belt and now simply could not even be bothered to turn it on. That to me is the failure of WM32; it is not the booking alone (which was atrocious) but even the matches had poor appeal to anyone core or casual before the show even started and simply did not pull people in to see it in the first place (which is when the atrocious booking then slates it further in it's failure to build anyone up, promote any story lines etc.).

Can't agree. 11 was awful. I can't think of one redeeming quality for it. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bam Bam. Lawrence Taylor. Main event. Those three should be an afterthought on the undercard, not the damn main event of a Wrestlemania. Hell, even Floyd Mayweather VS Big Show didn't headline a WM, and that was at least slightly entertaining.

I get it. People don't like Reigns. But at least he's a full time performer going on last and going over. What payoff did Lawrence Taylor provide going forward? 32 is fresh in the memory and unpopular but there are WAY worse Manias that should be in the semis over it. I'll take illogical booking over Bam Bam and Lawrence Taylor every day of the week.

32 for me, it was just awful, booking was terrible, poor build up for almost every match, felt like any random ppv, just a lot longer.
    even the women's match which was the best thing to come out of it was sloppy at times.
    in five years time nobody will remember a single match from it.

at least Diesel vs Michaels was a decent match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

11 easily while 32 had bad booking decisions the matches were generally very good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

32 for me.

• Advertisement

What is this round voting towards? If I'm counting correctly we're tied at 4 - 4 between these.

Advertisement