Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Tradnuts

What do people here think of Global X lithium and battery EFT?
    Big gains (approx 60%) in the last 8 months.
    Ive about 2k to invest. It's a long term investment for me. Any thoughts?

Btw, love this forum. I've learnt so much from you guys and gals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

PLS broke a dollar down under last night on news they've signed a deal to go into further downstream processing instead of just selling raw ore, things just keep getting better down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hit 1.10 at one stage. Delighted. TAW taking a breather.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Well done chaps.

Hoping for a TAW re-rate soon.

I believe it was you who tipped me to both Prezatch, so a big thanks from me.

Edit: you may have also tipped LPD. It's doing well. Didn't have the funds to buy LPD at the time. Wonder if it still has much left in it?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Big thanks from me too. Only have 1000 shares in each, but have made serious gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Lithium has massive potential. Tesla Model 3 pre-orders and Powerwall are just one aspect of it. There is massive government backing in China for electric vehicles and they're aiming to have 5m on the road by 2020. In 2014 there were 665,000 electric cars in the world. All of the major manufacturers are now seeing it as the future. If any of these things play out to even a fraction of their potential, demand for lithium will be through the roof and supply is still quite low.

I've personally invested in PLS and AJM (ASX). Up over 200% on each and have the option to buy another $30k in PLS for 0.38 (currently trading at 0.64). PLS is sitting on potentially the biggest lithium resource on the planet and I believe it will easily be $1 by year end. The only danger I can see is an alternative battery coming along but no sign of that on the horizon.
    To be fair I never said the end of which year...
    Well done all holders. I've no intention of selling and look forward to my first dividend payment!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jaysus, 30K @.38

Well jealous.

I'll happily take that $30k in PLS for 0.38 off your hands if you didn't at the time. I'm good like that.

beertons wrote: »
    Jaysus, 30K @.38

Well jealous.
    I'll happily take that $30k in PLS for 0.38 off your hands if you didn't at the time. I'm good like that.
    Crazy that a lot of us got to pay nearly those prices a year after his post aswell even when other lithium miners were starting their runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I only just discovered this daily Tesla podcast with an investment angle
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/tesla-daily-tesla-news-analysis/id1273643094?mt=2

I believe it was you who tipped me to both Prezatch, so a big thanks from me.

Edit: you may have also tipped LPD. It's doing well. Didn't have the funds to buy LPD at the time. Wonder if it still has much left in it?

Wow, the ASX was in a bit of a downturn along with Asia lastnight but LPD shot up 40% without any announcement, just hardcore buying and hype. Kicking myself now that I didn't follow through on my own recommendation!

:):):):):) I only wish I had had the cash to buy more at the time. Should have some funds later this week and plan to buy a few more.
    Prezatch wrote: »
    Wow, the ASX was in a bit of a downturn along with Asia lastnight but LPD shot up 40% without any announcement, just hardcore buying and hype. Kicking myself now that I didn't follow through on my own recommendation!

New roadster announced, 640 mile range and 0-100 in 1.9 seconds :eek:

https://electrek.co/2017/11/17/tesla-next-generation-roadster/#disqus_thread

image_uploaded_from_ios_1024-4.jpg?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

filthy. i laughed at it being a 4 seater. id say youd have to lie down across each other in the back.
    the truck has some interesting stuff too.
    tbh i can see them having their manufacturing issued ironed out within a year and the roadster is for sale from 2020 so should be well able to meet demand assuming its similarish to existing manufacturing.

One thing that's brilliant with the Semi is the centered driver position, which presumably means that there is no need for separate LHD and RHD versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'm in that LIT ETF - sharpish TER but good alright
    Tradnuts wrote: »

Tradnuts wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Sabre Man wrote: »
    One thing that's brilliant with the Semi is the centered driver position, which presumably means that there is no need for separate LHD and RHD versions.

No driver mirrors so reverse by camera or autonomously. We are a bit away from no driver yet but it's one step closer.

One thing that will be interesting to watch will be pre orders. Unlike the cars this is for businesses so buying out of passion will not come into it. If you pay the $50,000 deposit for a truck to be delivered on a set date then 12 month slippage
    will not be acceptable. The Semi will at the very least have to be cost neutral v diesel to the business. This will be the real test for the future of Tesla as a profitable long life business.

TSLA is up about 4% pre-market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lucky john wrote: »

We are a bit away from no driver yet but it's one step closer. .....

Always need a driver for the tricky bits though

• Advertisement

Tesla is probably going to need more money soon with so many irons in the fire and Model 3 production behind schedule.

Fecking hell that new Roadster is my all time dream car and I haven't even seen a review yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Tesla is probably going to need more money soon with so many irons in the fire and Model 3 production behind schedule.

I'm sure they will but should they have to? From what they say M3 production is slow because of bottle necks, mainly in battery production. However the bulk of the hardware seems to be in place so the heavy lifting on the Capex should be done. If they can just clear the production hell bit they are home and dry. Tesla can produce 500,000 cars without even 1 going to a forecourt.
    Elon needs to focus. Forget girl friend troubles and trucks and all the other distractions for a little while. Get the M3 out the door and collect billions. If he fails to do that over the next few months he risks derailing everything.

I'm sure they will but should they have to? From what they say M3 production is slow because of bottle necks, mainly in battery production. However the bulk of the hardware seems to be in place so the heavy lifting on the Capex should be done. If they can just clear the production hell bit they are home and dry. Tesla can produce 500,000 cars without even 1 going to a forecourt.
    Elon needs to focus. Forget girl friend troubles and trucks and all the other distractions for a little while. Get the M3 out the door and collect billions. If he fails to do that over the next few months he risks derailing everything.

It's going to take a lot of resources to set up a charging network and production facilities for the Semi and Roadster, not to mention keep expanding supercargers, stores and gigafactories in China and elsewhere. Not to mention the solar panel and energy business, which is also ramping up, mostly under the radar.

Until Model 3 production is up and running at full speed, which may not happen until late 2018, Tesla is probably going to need more cash or have to cut spending for some time (not likely to happen, I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Elon needs to focus. Forget girl friend troubles and trucks and all the other distractions for a little while.  Get the M3 out the door and collect billions. If he fails to do that over the next few months he risks derailing everything.

It's going to take a lot of resources to set up a charging network and production facilities for the Semi and Roadster, not to mention keep expanding supercargers, stores and gigafactories in China and elsewhere. Not to mention the solar panel and energy business, which is also ramping up, mostly under the radar.

Until Model 3 production is up and running at full speed, which  may not happen until late 2018, Tesla is probably going to need more cash or have to cut spending for some time (not likely to happen, I think).

The roadster and the semi was the a PR exercise to show that Telsa has a pipeline. The M3 is still very much everything. I think Elon knows this so is trying to distract a little from the major pressure that he's living under.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Agree that all this Semi and Roadster talk is a diversion tactic and a result of him being under serious pressure. More of a pipe dream then a pipeline. imo

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-24/tesla-s-newest-promises-break-the-laws-of-batteries

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/23/16693848/elon-musk-worlds-biggest-battery-100-days
    This is the story I'd like to hear more about. The car's manufacturing may or may not work. They seem to hold some valuable battery patents and know how. Wouldn't surprise me if this is where they make their real money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

OwlsZat wrote: »
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/23/16693848/elon-musk-worlds-biggest-battery-100-days
    This is the story I'd like to hear more about. The car's manufacturing may or may not work. They seem to hold some valuable battery patents and know how. Wouldn't surprise me if this is where they make their real money.

I thought they open sourced their patents a few years ago to encourage wider adoption of EVs?

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/09/27/tesla-rack-patents-despite-elon-musk-distaste-patents/id=88068/
    True and untrue. They still have lots of patents that haven't been released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=6cTjhzSgdwE

Very similar things were being said about amazon back in the day as are being said about Tesla today. Too much competition, making no money etc etc
    Look how that turned out.

Advertisement