Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry for off topic but if you make a loss does that loss only cover you for the year in which you made it? You cant write it off against the CGT on a gain you might make 5 years later or whatever?

Yep you can carry forward capital losses to offset future capital gains.

"Allowable losses are set against the chargeable gains of the same year and if the losses exceed the gains, the excess
    may be carried forward against gains of later years."

Linky from the revenue site

Your loss can be offset forever. So if you only make your next profit in 50 years time, you can deduct your loss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Good summary of the solar roof by Rob Maurer in his latest podcast episode:
    http://techcastdaily.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

unkel wrote: »
    And if you are confident the TSLA share will go further up, you can sell all your shares now, which will realise your capital gains (just within the tax exception, so no tax is due on it) and immediately buy them all back.

Just as follow up, I sold all 15 TSLA shares I had at $319 or so.

I like that company and what they do; I feel bad for selling those shares - I might buy them back in a few weeks - yeah, I don't think I am cut for this share trading business.

PS: I had bought ten Sony Corp shares a few years ago, purely based on how much I like their PS3/PS4 platform and thought they will do well - and P/L column shows 165.71% at the moment. I wish I had bought more of those shares (and Tesla).

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I would look at where the bottlenecks are. They will probably need cobalt not lithium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I would look at where the bottlenecks are. They will probably need cobalt not lithium.

They are reducing/removing cobalt from their batteries so thats unlikely to be the bottleneck.

Tesla going up again... I wouldn't say I should've kept tesla shares because I put the money into Alphabet, Amazon & Apple and they are both up since then (Apple almost 8%). Most stocks seems to be trending up - Governments printing money again I guess (and decimating value of our savings in the process).

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Not far off all time high. Interesting to see how the Cybertruck unveil tomorrow goes down. Expect a surprise.

What a goofy unveil. It looks super strange, but makes complete sense by the end of the presentation. I am sure they have tonnes of orders already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

It was a very Tesla launch. You have to appreciate how much they try to do things differently. The rest of the pack wouldn't know innovation if it jumped up and bit them on the proverbial bollix.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    What a goofy unveil. It looks super strange, but makes complete sense by the end of the presentation. I am sure they have tonnes of orders already.

I think if it does what it says on the tin it will be a fantastic truck. Unfortunately the tin may be an issue for many.

As a tesla and Musk fan I think it looks dire. The design is based on space age type fiction from the 70's so the disappointing part is that it lacks originality. I have seen a few renders on line this morning based on the cybertruck that looked way better.

Added to my ALB position today.

146,000 orders so far. Wow. Is this another Henry Ford "faster horse" moment.

Elon's faith in humanity has been restored.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1206/1097606-musk-lawsuit/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Elon's faith in humanity has been restored.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1206/1097606-musk-lawsuit/

The other halfwit looking for obscene money. FFS

FFVII wrote: »
    The other halfwit looking for obscene money. FFS

He was. And funnily enough he never mention how hurt he was to anyone around him, while talking down the other people involved in the rescue operation.

In other news, Tesla will soon be getting another source of income from premium connectivity.

https://electrek.co/2019/12/07/tesla-starts-chargin-month-premium-connectivity-features/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

This channel I find interesting..

https://youtu.be/HIlcRqgXSgU

Here's an interesting interview with an analyst, that sheds more light on the EV situation in China.

http://techcastdaily.com/2019/12/13/interview-alex-potter-of-piper-jaffray-12-11-19/

New all-time high: 379.88

I think it might be an all time high market cap but not quite there on share price.
    €385 in Sep '17. There's a lot of short covering going on as they get roasted so good chance that will be broken this week. €420 can't be far off either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

lucky john wrote: »
    €420 can't be far off either.

Funding secured :pac:

I think it might be an all time high market cap but not quite there on share price.
    €385 in Sep '17. There's a lot of short covering going on as they get roasted so good chance that will be broken this week. €420 can't be far off either.

You're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably go higher maybe I'm not confident, still think it's way over valued. I see a customer problem being a stumbling block as production increases.
    Looking at the second hand market in the UK it wouldn't really inspire confidence, the amount for sale is increasing every day with what looks like very little takers.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/24/tesla-model-3-tops-resale-value-report/

"They said about the Model 3:

“The Tesla Model 3 has a cultural magic and desirability about it that made people willing to wait months and even years to own one. People don’t like Tesla Model 3s — they crave them — and that’s how you hold on to your resale value over time.”

Kelley Blue Book projects a resale value of 69.3% at 36 months and 48.7% at 60 months for Model 3.

The company bundles all electric vehicles together instead of making them compete with their gas-powered equivalent.

If Model 3 was included in either the “luxury car” or “midsize car” categories, it would have topped both of them by a wide margin.

Kelley Blue Book’s rankings are based on projections, but Tesla vehicles have already shown that they hold their value better than competition on the used market, according to other studies."

Probably go higher maybe I'm not confident, still think it's way over valued. I see a customer problem being a stumbling block as production increases.
    Looking at the second hand market in the UK it wouldn't really inspire confidence, the amount for sale is increasing every day with what looks like very little takers.

That's actually very funny:D.

First TSLAQ Number 1 position was the M3 would never happen, then...never be produced in numbers, then the TESLA KILLERS would destroy them,
    then..pictures of full car parks so not selling, NOW.. no second hand market,
    next...????

I am literally sick for selling all (five) at around 320 after that cybertruck announcement.... I thought there will be a dip to buy them back but that never came.. Sniffs.... :/

Fair play to you all.

That's it now Saber Man. new high but this is only the start. Many more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

New high but this is only the start. Many more to come.

I don't believe the clinton news network at the best of times, so much so I didn't read past the headline. If your in profit it might be something worth considering if your thinking of holding over xmas, we all know how this stock can swing. https://www.ccn.com/president-trump-just-delivered-a-deathblow-to-tesla/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The sp doesn't seem too bothered, also that's not a link to CNN if that's what you're getting at with 'clinton news network'.

• Advertisement

I don't believe the clinton news network at the best of times, so much so I didn't read past the headline. If your in profit it might be something worth considering if your thinking of holding over xmas, we all know how this stock can swing. https://www.ccn.com/president-trump-just-delivered-a-deathblow-to-tesla/

makes no difference to tesla. they have all subsidies used up in the US now any way. However, if it is true and does happen it will destroy all telsa competition that struggle to sell a car even with full subsidies. None of them are even close to the 200,000 mark yet so their cars will be $7000 more expensive IF it happens.
    Plus..China is just beginning

Advertisement