Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

spud06 wrote: »
    Jesus what the hell happened to my team the Nationals last night. We beat the Marlins in the firstl game of a double header then I wake up this morning and see we lost 7-1 in the second game :mad::mad:

Harper was suspended for the second game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Jesus what the hell happened to my team the Nationals last night. We beat the Marlins in the firstl game of a double header then I wake up this morning and see we lost 7-1 in the second game :mad::mad:

That's baseball. Things like that happen all the time. You can't look at individual results and be disappointed. Remember the best team in the league will still lose over 60 times in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

spud06 wrote:
    Jesus what the hell happened to my team the Nationals last night.

It's all about winning series, not individual games. Sweeps and multi-game win streaks are great but only happen once in a while.

Benches cleared in Toronto and Texas game after Batista took a full on fist to the jaw. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Benches cleared in Toronto and Texas game after Batista took a full on fist to the jaw. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this one.

Someone get Odor a contract in the UFC. Don't think I've seen a better connected punch in a baseball brawl.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M2TdiV34--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/dzytltukqx096x7lbsyd.gif

• Advertisement

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Someone get Odor a contract in the UFC. Don't think I've seen a better connected punch in a baseball brawl.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--M2TdiV34--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/dzytltukqx096x7lbsyd.gif

It's normally only handbags so it was quite surprising to see an actual punch being thrown.

Also can't wait to see his bat flip when he homers against them next. If I was him I'd make it extra special.

Odd finish to the DBacks game on an overturned call but the right one. Casilla lucky again to get away with a save.

And cracking game at Fenway with Sox putting up double figures again this week. Still think we're another starter away from being a contender for the playoffs but encouraging stuff. World Champions up next!

Anyone else rooting for a Texas/Toronto playoff match up?

8-10 wrote: »
    And cracking game at Fenway with Sox putting up double figures again this week. Still think we're another starter away from being a contender for the playoffs but encouraging stuff. World Champions up next!

What's the story with all the offence? Obviously they won't score like this for the whole season but can we expect them to continue to hit well?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Watched the Nats v Marlins game last night on a stream and to say some of the fielding from the Nats was bad would be an understatement. Although having said that Jose Fernandez was top class.

• Advertisement

Watched the Nats v Marlins game last night on a stream and to say some of the fielding from the Nats was bad would be an understatement. Although having said that Jose Fernandez was top class.

I think he had 1 or 2 bad starts early on but they were just blips. Fernandez is more often than not top class. A great pitcher to watch (unless he's playing against your own team course!!).

What's the story with all the offence? Obviously they won't score like this for the whole season but can we expect them to continue to hit well?

Fearless youth I reckon. Seems like a close group so a bit of the whole being better than the sum of their parts.

Having players like Jackie Bradley, Shaw, Betts and Boegarts in with the likes of Papi, Pedroia and Hanley is a good mix of youth and experience. Christian Vasquez looks a seriously good catcher also.

I don't expect the offensive to keep up all year but I do see the group as a whole really maturing this year - the experienced guys are the example for the younger guys and the younger guys are hitting without fear and motivating the experienced guys.

Big problem is going to be the pitching. You can't expect the run support, Buchholz is too inconsistent and Porcello and Wright are probably going to regress after a good start.

Kansas is a nice test this week. Hopefully the form keeps up and I'll hold my optimism until July when hopefully I tell you we're looking like a playoff team (with a new pitcher)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Absolutely riveting film on BT about the Cubs fan who went for the ball in the 6th game of the NL decider against the Marlins in 2003. Cubs were 3 - 0 and looked like closing the series. Count was 3 - 2 and Alou looked liked he was going to catch and put the hitter out. Marlins scored 8 times in the inning and brought the game to game seven, and the curse of the goat lived on ...

Almost led to serious crowd trouble. Can't wait to hear what happened to him in the next half!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Absolutely riveting film on BT about the Cubs fan who went for the ball in the 6th game of the NL decider against the Marlins in 2003. Cubs were 3 - 0 and looked like closing the series. Count was 3 - 2 and Alou looked liked he was going to catch and put the hitter out. Marlins scored 8 times in the inning and brought the game to game seven, and the curse of the goat lived on ...

Almost led to serious crowd trouble. Can't wait to hear what happened to him in the next half!

Steve Bartman..!!! Poor guy. Still can't show his face in Chicago.

Was that the ESPN film Catching Hell? It deals with Bill Buckner of the Red Sox too. Another man who suffered hell because of one split second mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Was that the ESPN film Catching Hell? It deals with Bill Buckner of the Red Sox too. Another man who suffered hell because of one split second mistake.

Don't mention that guy's name!!! Apparently he had to go into hiding for YEARS and his name is still a dirty word in parts of Chicago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

tallpaul wrote: »
    Don't mention that guy's name!!! Apparently he had to go into hiding for YEARS and his name is still a dirty word in parts of Chicago!

He needed a Buckner-style Curb Your Enthusiasm episode! A little bit of self-deprecation could have gone a long way for him.

Yes. Very good. I didn't see the Buckner part yet.

In fairness to Bartman, it was really an error by Gonzalez on the next hit that led to the Marlins comeback when he turned a possible double play into two runs. There was a somewhat similar incident in a Boston game last season although I think it was a clear foul ball. However, the security moved in straight away and evicted the culprit!

In fairness to Bartman, it was really an error by Gonzalez on the next hit that led to the Marlins comeback when he turned a possible double play into two runs.

Also, Chicago had a lead in game 7 that they couldn't hold so they had a number of opportunities to win the series after Bartman.

It was the same with the Buckner incident. Boston had a lead in game 7 of that series too after his mistake that cost them game 6.

I know this wasn't a 30 for 30 but just an ESPN Films thing but it's one of my favourite of all this type of stuff that they've done. That and the one about the spoofer who ended up buying the NY Islanders.

Also, Chicago had a lead in game 7 that they couldn't hold so they had a number of opportunities to win the series after Bartman.

It was the same with the Buckner incident. Boston had a lead in game 7 of that series too after his mistake that cost them game 6.

I know this wasn't a 30 for 30 but just an ESPN Films thing but it's one of my favourite of all this type of stuff that they've done. That and the one about the spoofer who ended up buying the NY Islanders.

I think it was initially supposed to be a 30 For 30 but didn't get finished in time

It was strange listening to the Chicago people discussing the impact the incident had on the seventh game which was the next day. Although they denied it - and of course there is a lot of hindsight involved - it was almost as though they had already psychologically accepted they were going to lose the series.

I doubt that pros are affected by such 'negative vibes', but if ever there was a club that might be susceptible to malign psychic energies - whatever about the poor goat being barred - it is the Cubs of Chicago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Braves just fired Manager Fredi Gonzalez

AAA Manager Brian Snitker will replace him

Braves just fired Manager Fredi Gonzalez

AAA Manager Brian Snitker will replace him

It was hardly his fault they are this bad. Look at the roster he had to deal with. They traded away everything they had.

This 30 for 30 doesn't exist but maybe it should....

Odor gets 8 games for the dig. Most players appeal so I wonder will it be reduced or is 8 fair? I think it's about right.

Interesting piece in Sports Illustrated on the rising % of runs coming from home runs. Highest since 2001 apparently when there was all the stuff about steroids. Now, they are not arguing that that is the reason - although the number of positive tests seems to be increasing. They do seem to be arguing for a change in rules, although not exactly sure what they are proposing.

Interesting piece in Sports Illustrated on the rising % of runs coming from home runs. Highest since 2001 apparently when there was all the stuff about steroids. Now, they are not arguing that that is the reason - although the number of positive tests seems to be increasing. They do seem to be arguing for a change in rules, although not exactly sure what they are proposing.

Home runs up, strike outs up. It seems to be boom or bust at the plate.

Simon having total nightmare against Cleveland. Although his catcher is proving to be able assistant!

This will be interesting test of the HR theory, as Reds have given up 66 so far - ten more than Milwaukee. But none so far and its 7 - 0 bottom of the 4th.

I'm predicting Cleveland win by 11 or more.

I'm predicting Cleveland win by 11 or more.

13-1. I hope you put money on that prediction!

Cubs being no hit through 7. I've probably jinxed it now but I'm off to bed so won't be able to see it through.

EDIT- Turns out the very next batter after I wrote that breaks it up. Typical.

• Advertisement

13-1. I hope you put money on that prediction!

I had a bet on Indians just to win, not the totals unfortunately. Simon's ERA must be in double figures today :)

In fairness though they were truly dreadful. Played like a team that had absolutely no interest in proceedings. Speaking of which, bet of night, at short odds, was on Pirates to beat a demoralised Atlanta. Missed it myself.

Also from last night, St. Louis continue to lose games that will cost them dearly in the end I think, even at this stage. Colorado do have a good hitting staff in fairness.

Advertisement