Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Love the way Bryant was smiling as the ball was coming to him and then started to slip when throwing, he must have had some big "oh sh1t" moment in his head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Congrats to the Cubs! What a game, incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Free Steve Bartman....!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Free Steve Bartman....!!!!!

I daresay, and indeed I hope, we see him interviewed soon. Or at least a pic of him celebrating. Poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Well done Cubs, the curse has been lifted (unlike Mayo!). I went to a game in Wrigley Field years ago so they are my team I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Not a baseball fan at all but when I heard they won all I could think of was this scene from an 80's Belushi movie.

Congrats Cubbies.
    I was cheering for the Indians despite always having a soft spot for the Cubs after a J1 in Chicago back in 04
    Suppose I just wanted the smaller market team to win.
    I imagine the Cubs will progress well over the next few years based on their young team.
    Just hope the Dodgers can figure out the playoffs soon.
    Enjoy the celebrations all Cub fans

Also, most be strange for the Cleveland fans. Laugh at Golden State for losing after being ahead 3-1, and then only a few months later, experience the same pain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Congrats Cubbies.
    I was cheering for the Indians despite always having a soft spot for the Cubs after a J1 in Chicago back in 04
    Suppose I just wanted the smaller market team to win.
    I imagine the Cubs will progress well over the next few years based on their young team.
    Just hope the Dodgers can figure out the playoffs soon.
    Enjoy the celebrations all Cub fans

Also, most be strange for the Cleveland fans. Laugh at Golden State for losing after being ahead 3-1, and then only a few months later, experience the same pain

Well karma is a bitch....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

What a night, what a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

One hell of a game. I listened to it in between snoozing in bed last night.

At some stage, I started dreaming about the Chicago players celebrating.
    It was then that I woke up and figured it was all over. I plugged in the headphones to
    hear Chapman give up the game tying HR.

I then nodded off again and woke at 5.30 to see the text alert that the Cubs had won it.
    I was sure I was blearily seeing things. I could not have seen any way they came back to win it
    after that devastating moment from Chapman.

A remarkable win and I am very happy for the Cubs fans. Enjoy it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can't get this song out of head today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I grew up watching Harry Caray announce for the Cubs. Budweiser made a video to sound like he called the game last night.

Not gonna lie, I cried a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

LenaClaire wrote:

Yeah even me, that was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Last night was definitely the greatest game I ever watched...more twists and turns than a roller coaster. I guess Cubbies are nicely set for another couple of World Series over the next decade, even if they need to carry Heyward for most of it...team speeches aside! Well done to the Cubbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

hi guys new to this forum been following baseball for two seasons now and I'm a big mariners fan

LenaClaire wrote: »
    I grew up watching Harry Caray announce for the Cubs. Budweiser made a video to sound like he called the game last night.

Unreal, brought a lump to my throat I have to say.

Advertisers are on point this year, the adds after Cleveland won the NBA and the Cubs won the WS have been spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

This has been a great thread to follow. I got to see the Cubs play at Wrigley Field a couple of years back, a great experience. I'm delighted for them.

I'm still somewhat lost when it comes to some of the more technical aspects of baseball but there does seem to be a lot of great knowledge amongst the fans on this thread, so it's been good to read all year.

108 years - there's hope for us all! :)

peter1892 wrote: »
    This has been a great thread to follow. I got to see the Cubs play at Wrigley Field a couple of years back, a great experience. I'm delighted for them.

I'm still somewhat lost when it comes to some of the more technical aspects of baseball but there does seem to be a lot of great knowledge amongst the fans on this thread, so it's been good to read all year.

108 years - there's hope for us all! :)

And by us all you mean Mayo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

And by us all you mean Mayo :P

Maybe if they get an expansion franchise in the MLB! ;)

peter1892 wrote: »
    Maybe if they get an expansion franchise in the MLB! ;)

Probably the only way they'll win alright :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I genuinely couldn't be happier for genuine Cubs fans from Chicago. I was there for two summers where they probably lost a combined 200 games over those seasons and still the games were packed to the rafters (even on Tuesday at 1pms and the likes) and the fans staunchly followed their side. I'd say I went to 7/8 Cubs games and only seen them win once but still wanted to go again due to the atmosphere created!

I'm also delighted for Rizzo who had to endure those two seasons of losses that I was referring to, it must feel all the sweeter for him.

There is a massive parade today through the city for the Cubs. Two million people turned out for the Blackhawks (I think that's what I read), I would honestly not be surprised if it was at least double that for the Cubs.

There not the lovable losers no more! And would be surprised if they didn't win it again within the next 3 years. Next goal is to win one at Wrigley :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Gutted I decided against heading for the Ireland/NZ rugby game now. Would be some buzz around the place. Hoping to make the trip for the Jay's series next season. If I get Fenway and Wrigley done I'll be a happy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mno101

hi guys new to this forum been following baseball for two seasons now and I'm a big mariners fan

..also new to forum...I am Braves fan...but happy to see the Cubs win ...they are one of the teams that got me into baseball. My first MLB game was in Wrigley in 1998...knew nothing about it but quickly got into the Sosa/McGwire home run battle....and from there i was hooked...hope to get back to Wrigley sometime.

also...gotta say I am very happy with Colon going to Braves for a year...always like him

Advertisement